Menu

Would you want a handmade gift at your baby shower?

I have dear friends who are expecting their first child at the end of Nov. They both work with my DH but I have known the guy for 11 years as we (DH, DF and I) went to grad school together. They are having a work baby shower today so I went out and bought a nice set of hoodie towels they had registered for for DH to bring. I am invited to the big shower at the end of October (just for ladies) and we will be giving our big present then. I am crocheting a Canadian flag baby blanket (DF is Canadian too and his wife is Aussie) and crocheting a stuffed beaver (see a theme? Someone has to represent the Canadian half of the family). My mother was aghast and said that hand made gifts should never be given at a shower because it looks cheap and like you didn't have enough money to get them what they really wanted from the store, and that if I insisted on doing it I should give it to her privately so she wouldn't be embarrassed opening it in front of everyone. I have never heard of that, but then I have also only seen one shower where people gave hand made gifts and they were tye-died onesies, and yes, the person was on a strict budget. It was my shower and I adored the gift and they actually went through all four of my kids, and two friends' babies as well (I think they have been passed on to a third person).

So, is there some shower rule that says no hand made gifts? I'm still making them but I just wanted the Hive's opinion. I actually think hand made gifts are more personal and I will have spent alot of time on them. My friend is also one of those people who refuses to shop off of a gift registry and he got us a really nice baby gift for DS8 and incredible wedding gifts that I know he spent alot of time on, so I know he won't care that I didn't (for their big gift) shop off the registry.

I think handmade gifts are very touching. If time, thought, care and skill is put into it, I don't see any problem at all. A very elderly woman at our church often crochets the most dainty little bibs for new babies. I was terrified to use the one she gave us, it was just too precious. But she's on a very tight budget and has arthritis in her hands so it's really a sacrificial labor of love on her part.

Some of our favorite baby blankets to use are the super soft handmade ones. We received some bibs made out of towels that we used to tatters because they were so practical and useful. Little handmade dresses have more creativity and style than anything you can get premade in a store.

Edited by BigMamaBird

Oh, FIDDLESTICKS! First of all, who cares how it looks? Second of all, my favorite gifts have been handmade. At this point, knitting and the like is done out of love and enjoyment, NOT because it is cheaper. The baby blanket I want to knit for the one I'm expecting would be $100 if I purchase the recommended yarn. I could clearly buy a cheaper blanket.

I have received hand made gifts at all of my showers. I think they are wonderful. I can't imagine someone thinking something is cheap instead of realizing the time and care and effort it takes to make something verses running to Target to buy a cheap blanket or pack of onesies.

I have friends that sew little hats and make receiving blankets. I have friends who crochet. I have an aunt who always decorates the most adorable bibs for gifts. My mother quilts and always makes a beautiful baby quilt for new babies. I have seen people take a pack of diapers and make those cute diaper "cakes." I come from a family that has always been crafty and made things. That is just a weird mindset to me.

I think most people would love a handmade gift. I know I would.

:iagree: Prefer handmade over store bought any day.

In fact, when we send out gift-giving event invitations for our dc, they always say "handmade gifts are appreciated" at the bottom in small print.

I love handmade gifts and I have been known to give them IF I feel the person will appreciate them. I spent a lot of time crocheting a baby set for my SIL first child (booties, onsie and hat). I was told that her son would not be wearing the hat since he did not like them and then SIL gave all of it to Goodwill! Had I known I would have asked for all of it back for my babies.

Give your gifts with pride! Handmade is always better than mass market stuff!

Yes, I would love that, and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't.

(Now there has been one handmade gift my older son has received that I could have done without - it was supposed to be an Elmo scarf but it looked like a feather boa. He put it on and said "look mama, I a dancing gail!" It was hilarious, but not what the gift giver had intended...)

I actually think handmade is "in style" at the moment. I mean look at Etsy.

I got alot of handmade items and they are the items that stood the test of time with the babes. I LOVE handmade items. They show that the person cares enough to spend their time and energy making something especially for me! My son's favorite blanket is a small "taggie" blanket that I made with scraps of fleece and left over ribbon. Shame on anyone would look down on any heart felt gift anyways!

My mother was aghast and said that hand made gifts should never be given at a shower because it looks cheap and like you didn't have enough money to get them what they really wanted from the store, and that if I insisted on doing it I should give it to her privately so she wouldn't be embarrassed opening it in front of everyone. .

Your mother is wrong. I've been to many showers where there were homemade gifts. some of them were HIGHLY admired. (something you can't buy in a store.) expensive baby boutique's will stock items that someone made.

I was even at one shower where one social climbing mom offered to pay the giver of a homemade item to make one for her too.

My shower ended up occurring after DD arrived (7 weeks early)...my favorite gift was a preemie-sized blanket that a friend knitted as soon as she heard DD had been born. It meant a lot to receive something that was just her size, and had all that love and thought behind it.

tye-died onesies

:thumbup:

Oh my. Possibly that is the cutest idea EVER. So glad it went over well with you and yours.

As for the actual question, I received and loved handmade gifts, and I have given them. It would be much easier and cheaper to just buy something these days.

Terri

I have dear friends who are expecting their first child at the end of Nov. They both work with my DH but I have known the guy for 11 years as we (DH, DF and I) went to grad school together. They are having a work baby shower today so I went out and bought a nice set of hoodie towels they had registered for for DH to bring. I am invited to the big shower at the end of October (just for ladies) and we will be giving our big present then. I am crocheting a Canadian flag baby blanket (DF is Canadian too and his wife is Aussie) and crocheting a stuffed beaver (see a theme? Someone has to represent the Canadian half of the family). My mother was aghast and said that hand made gifts should never be given at a shower because it looks cheap and like you didn't have enough money to get them what they really wanted from the store, and that if I insisted on doing it I should give it to her privately so she wouldn't be embarrassed opening it in front of everyone. I have never heard of that, but then I have also only seen one shower where people gave hand made gifts and they were tye-died onesies, and yes, the person was on a strict budget. It was my shower and I adored the gift and they actually went through all four of my kids, and two friends' babies as well (I think they have been passed on to a third person).

So, is there some shower rule that says no hand made gifts? I'm still making them but I just wanted the Hive's opinion. I actually think hand made gifts are more personal and I will have spent alot of time on them. My friend is also one of those people who refuses to shop off of a gift registry and he got us a really nice baby gift for DS8 and incredible wedding gifts that I know he spent alot of time on, so I know he won't care that I didn't (for their big gift) shop off the registry.

I agree with the others. A well-made homemade baby gift is a wonderful gift. I absolutely cherish my hand-made baby blankets. My dd14 still keeps a little pillow on her bed that my dh's aunt made for my baby shower when she was born.

I also think it's incredibly dear that you would honor your friends' baby when you have recently lost a baby. :grouphug:

Heavens! Handmade are the best! There is a sentimental quality that you don't get when someone just buys off of a list. Plus, you are doing both...bought off the list for one and handmade for the other. I think they will love it!

Really? I have never heard of this. I almost always give a handmade gift at baby showers. It is usually a hooded towel that I make, but it could be a crochet baby blanket too. They are ALWAYs well recieved and I have even been asked to make one for the older sibblings!

I have given handmade gifts at numerous showers and I was never under the impression that it was considered cheap or tacky. When I was in a crocheting phase a few years ago, I made several blankets and pairs of booties for friends. I was pleased to see some of those booties on babies at their baptisms. And I agree with another poster who said that with the cost of patterns and yarn, not to mention the time involved, that really isn't a cheaper gift.

More recently, I made about 6 or 7 of those nursing covers for showers. Those things cost around $40 new, and while it certainly didn't cost me that much to make them, I think my friend's appreciated getting something beautiful and useful that was out of my price range to purchase new as a gift, but that was lovingly made with them in mind. Ignore your mother and make your gift. It sounds lovely.

I love receiving handmade gifts. But, I will admit not all get used equally. For example the crochetted hat for my son got worn only once -- long enough to realize hats didn't work for either of us.

Some of the homemade blankets are favorites -- others are more in the realm of "I love the thought but I can't quite find a place for this"

It took me 4 years, but I do finally get more use out of the homemade baby towel made for my DS with my DD.

I was just thinking about it, and I realized that the only gifts I saved from when ds was born, are the handmade ones -- even the ones from elderly friends of my MIL whom I barely knew.

The handmade gifts meant so much more to me than the store-bought ones, and honestly, we got some incredibly expensive gifts. The idea that someone made something especially for my new baby was so special to me.

Handmade gifts are the only thing I keep after the baby has grown. A couple of onesies and towels I can replace easily have little value to me in the long term. The crocheted blankets, embroidered burp cloths, monogrammed clothes, towels - those are the things that took a lot of time and effort and mean a lot to me.

ETA: Should have read the other replies first and just agreed! LOL

My son is 9 and is STILL using the Pooh Bear blankets with a "hood" at one end which can be folded into a triangular pillow. I'd like to thank the lady who gave them, but she died 5 years ago.

In this day and age of pre-made everything, handmade is CLASSY. One nice snuggler I got was handmade by a woman who does this for a living, and it was the WOW of the shower.