Menu

Need prayers for my dd-- urgent!!!

My dd just called me from between classes-- she just passed out again!

Another student is calling an ambulance.

DH is now on her cell phone talking with campus security-- letting them know NOT To take her to the previous hospital-- to take her to the major hospital in the area.

Prayers really appreciated--

I have a LONG post about this ordeal in a different thread.

Looks like DH or I will be driving down this afternoon!

I post this website a lot but you might find this page useful, It is from the syncope trust. They have an unexplained blackout checklist here.

They are also very helpful and used to helping people who don't know why they black out should you not have much joy at the hospital.

Hope she gets some help and feels better soon.

Edited by lailasmum

She is at a GOOD hospital- they immediately took her to triage and a Dr is with her now...

This hospital suspects diabetes.... but will look into a possible head injury.

She skipped breakfast because she was dizzy and she grabbed a soda (sugar) between classes.

She had to call out into a crowd of college students for help (I was on the phone with her- she dialed me then started yelling for help!!!)... Campus police had been briefed from this weekend--and they took her seriously!

Thanks for your continued prayers--

I've counted on this board for homeschooling support for YEARS-- thanks for your support in crisis too!

My dd just called me from between classes-- she just passed out again!

Another student is calling an ambulance.

DH is now on her cell phone talking with campus security-- letting them know NOT To take her to the previous hospital-- to take her to the major hospital in the area.

Prayers really appreciated--

I have a LONG post about this ordeal in a different thread.

Looks like DH or I will be driving down this afternoon!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I hope they will get this figured out quickly!

:grouphug:

I would go anyway. Often a patient who is not completely coherent will not be able to interpret the doctor's diagnosis and instructions correctly, and often will not remember them after they are discharged. You need to be at her side, with a notebook, writing everything down and asking every question that she most likely will not. It doesn't matter whether or not she wants you there....you're her mother. That trumps everything. :D

If it is indeed diabetes, they most likely will keep her overnight (at least) in order to stabilize her and get all her levels straightened out.

oh my.....

i have left my older dds to deal with a lot, but the one medical time i intervened by driving 6 hours to be present when she said she didn't want me to, she ended up thanking me a thousand times afterwards. it helps to have someone to listen, but also someone to "help the system work well", because when you feel dreadful, its often hard to help people help you the best way they can.

mostly for her, it involved having someone who could stand up and wasn't hooked to an iv being able to say "no, that isn't okay. she needs a room/a bed/an mri/surgery, preferably today. what can we do to make that possible?" and then 30 minutes later "any news on a bed? an mri? you know, we could go down and wait for the mri before there's a bed, couldn't we, and then she wouldn't be just sitting in the hallway? is there a potential mri slot?" and then 30 minutes later pleasantly, but anxiously... "any news from the mri? at least if we were down there we'd be their problem, not yours".... rinse, repeat....

good luck!

ann

I would go anyway. Often a patient who is not completely coherent will not be able to interpret the doctor's diagnosis and instructions correctly, and often will not remember them after they are discharged. You need to be at her side, with a notebook, writing everything down and asking every question that she most likely will not. It doesn't matter whether or not she wants you there....you're her mother. That trumps everything. :D

If it is indeed diabetes, they most likely will keep her overnight (at least) in order to stabilize her and get all her levels straightened out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I hope both you and your dh are able to go, as I know it's a 4-hour drive and that's stressful enough even when you're not worried sick, so it would be better if you can go together and possibly split the driving.

I'm so sorry this happened again, but thankfully your dd was able to get help quickly, and was taken to the good hospital. It sounds like the doctors are doing everything right so far, but if you're not there and they don't find anything immediately wrong, they might not work hard enough to get the diagnosis your dd needs.

BTW, I haven't had a chance to thank you for explaining about your dd's past medical issues (in the other thread.) It really helped me understand why you were trying to let your dd handle the other incident on her own, and why you were in less of a panic than I would have been -- it sounds like you've had your share of scary moments with your dd over the years, and are able to keep a more level head about you when things happen.

I hope they are able to diagnose your dd's problem, and pray that it's nothing serious.

But really. Don't listen to your dd. Get your dh, get in the car, and just go. IMO, you probably don't want her released from the hospital today anyway, because you need to know what's going on and how to treat it, so you should be there to make sure they keep her overnight. Also, if they don't decide for several hours whether or not she'll be staying, you may end up driving there late at night, instead of now when it's still daylight. Whatever the case, I don't think she should be alone tonight if they release her -- what if she passes out again and she's all alone?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Agreeing strongly! Many patients, not just young adults, are better off for having a patient advocate.

Faith

oh my.....

i have left my older dds to deal with a lot, but the one medical time i intervened by driving 6 hours to be present when she said she didn't want me to, she ended up thanking me a thousand times afterwards. it helps to have someone to listen, but also someone to "help the system work well", because when you feel dreadful, its often hard to help people help you the best way they can.

mostly for her, it involved having someone who could stand up and wasn't hooked to an iv being able to say "no, that isn't okay. she needs a room/a bed/an mri/surgery, preferably today. what can we do to make that possible?" and then 30 minutes later "any news on a bed? an mri? you know, we could go down and wait for the mri before there's a bed, couldn't we, and then she wouldn't be just sitting in the hallway? is there a potential mri slot?" and then 30 minutes later pleasantly, but anxiously... "any news from the mri? at least if we were down there we'd be their problem, not yours".... rinse, repeat....

good luck!

ann

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My sentiments exactly.

She does not want me there unless they keep her overnight-- but I might be on my way down anyways!!!

Agreeing strongly! Many patients, not just young adults, are better off for having a patient advocate.

First of all, :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:.

:grouphug:

Secondly, I'm also going to encourage you to go if you can. Pretty much everyone can benefit from having someone with them in a crisis, even as adults. If nothing else, someone to run to the corner store and get a healthy snack, or a nice magazine, can reduce the patient's stress level. Someone to ask additional questions, or help the patient remember the details of treatment, and make them some chicken soup when they get home, can be of use and comfort to any sick person.

:iagree: