Menu

Quick Poll: Without looking it up, can you define and identify a predicate adjective?

Without looking, can you define and identify a predicate adjective?  

1. 1. Without looking, can you define and identify a predicate adjective?

• Yes
    • No

I know I will get complaints because I'm not going to put an "other" category in the poll. If you think you can "get close" to what a predicate adjective is then your answer is no.

I use Rod & Staff grammar. Love it. I do slow it down once it gets to Book 5 and use it for later grades. But I have to admit, if I was using R&S especially in 5th grade, the study of predicate adjectives and the diagramming of predicate adjectives is truly quite complicated. I see it in my son's face as he is glazing over. And I am thinking...I made as high on the ACT in grammar that you can make...and I truly don't think anyone ever taught me what a predicate adjective is. So today when we studied predicate adjectives I decided to make "exposure" the most I was going to expect from him. And, frankly, I'm just not sure how much I will be pushing these kinds of details even in high school or expecting true retention. (For the record, my oldest did R&S through book 8 and she also scored at the top in Grammar on the ACT but I'm not sure it was because she learned about predicate adjectives!)

I'm just curious...am I the only one who has to reread what a predicate adjective is every time I see it?

I couldn't. But I knew the term was grammar related.

The only thing I remember from school in the study of Grammar is grade 7. Our teacher got really mad at the class for not knowing grammar. Then wrote a sentence on the board to diagram. (I didn't even know what that was at the time). She called a student up to the board to diagram it. The student couldn't do it. No one in the class had a clue how to.

The teacher then threw the chalk board eraser across the room yelled and left the room. A student then open the little class room window. (Big window, only a little section could open) and then proceeded to squirm out of the class room window.

I haven't started Grammar with my kids. I wouldn't be using the same method as my grade 7 teacher.

Yes, but I call it a subject complement, and find it easy to grasp because the the adjective *completes* the idea of the subject.

Thanks, MCT!:D

(before MCT, I called it a predicate nominative, which I still think is clearer than pred. adj.)

Edited by Caitilin

I knew what a "predicate" was, and I knew what an "adjective" was…so I guess that a "predicate adjective" was an adjective that played some sort of importance in the predicate… turns out it's an adjective that IS the predicate. I was close. :D

A predicate adjective is an adjective that functions as a predicate, such as "Ivano is attractive", attractive being the predicate adjective.

I can, but only because we are in R&S 5 :D However, my daughter seems to pick them out pretty well as long as she asked her helping questions. Like For the sentence "The doughnuts smelled delicious." She starts by asked what smelled delicious? The doughnuts. Then she says what did the doughnuts do? The smelled. And then she says the doughnuts smelled what? delicious.

Yes, but I call it a subject complement, and find it easy to grasp because the the adjective *completes* the idea of the subject.

Thanks, MCT!:D

(before MCT, I called it a predicate nominative, which I still think is clearer than pred. adj.)

Predicate nominative and predicate adjective are not the same thing. They are both subject complements.

He is a farmer. "farmer" = predicate nominative (it's a noun)

He is tall. "tall" = predicate adjective (it's an adjective)

Jackie

Predicate nominative and predicate adjective are not the same thing. They are both subject complements.

He is a farmer. "farmer" = predicate nominative (it's a noun)

He is tall. "tall" = predicate adjective (it's an adjective)

Jackie

Well, yes, they are both SCs, but I would say too that they are both PNs--in the sense of nominative case. I am thinking of my Latin here, I admit, but for me, it was easier to think of both the "farmer" and the "tall" as part of the nominative case. :001_smile: I think we are fundamentally in agreement.

We also use R&S grammar 5 and I remember that glazed over look last Spring when we came to that part.

For us, predicate nominative, demonstrative, etc. were the tough ones. My son wasn't getting the connection of demonstrative = demonstrate. It just wasn't clicking. He took the test, scored a "c" and we moved on. He will hit it again over the years and I am not going to worry about that right now.

I have a bachelors in English and was an Editor/Tech writer and let me say that R&S in the elementary grades has occasionally taught ME a few things! It is tough stuff!

Edited by Tree House Academy

I said 'no' because I had few decent teachers (i can remember one good english teacher - I'm positive she had a classics background) and haven't gotten there yet with my little one.

dd can easily, and all its relatives - but she learned them in a dead langauge class in college. she's rather irked she didn't learn it in high school english class.

Yep.

I didn't miss a single question on my ACT English section (scored a 36) twice. I credit some really tough junior high grammar teachers and high school Latin. I am using R&S with my kiddos (and doing Latin,) because I want them to have the same complete grasp of the English language.

In the co-op writing and Latin courses I teach, PN/PA and IO/DO are some of the biggest trouble spots I see.

Guest submarines

Some things that require lots of work in grade 5, become quite easy to understand later in life.

I had to look up the predicate adjective definition several months ago. I didn't have to work at it to understand the term and its meaning and commit it to memory. My grammar foundations are quite strong, in several languages, though. (English being my weakest, I'd say :lol:). Effortless and instantenous. I wouldn't worry if he doesn't get it now. When he needs it, he will google it. DH hopes, we will all be microchipped with an iPad like interface with internet access in the near future. :confused: :D