Menu

What's with all the fake pregnancy announcements?

Ok so obviously I missed the memo that we were supposed to insinuate that we were pregnant on our Facebook page? In the last few days there have been several of what seemed to be pregnancy announcements... Followed by many congratulations... Followed by the person getting a chuckle at the expense of all her well-wishers?

Is this supposed to be funny?

Facebook is really weird sometimes.

I thought it was a pregnancy thing too, and then I saw a guy posting something like "week 2 and I'm craving Kit-Kats." Now I'm thinking it is some kind of inside joke, or some kind of non-profit awareness thing. I asked my friend who posted something like it. She hasn't answered me yet. :glare: Feeling like everyone gets the joke but me.

Hmph! Maybe some of you know what it means....

I am ignoring it, but here is the facebook message I received:

Ok pretty ladies, it's that time of year again, in support of breast cancer awareness!! So we all remember last years game of writing your bra color as your status or the way we like to have our handbag handy? Remember last year so many people took part that it made national news and the constant updating of status reminded everyone why we're doing this and helped raise awareness!! Do NOT tell any males what the status' mean, keep them guessing!! And please copy and paste (in a message )this to all your female friends to see if we can make a bigger fuss this year than last year!!! I did my part... now YOUR turn ! Go on ladies...and let's have all the males guessing! It's time to confuse the men again (not that its really that hard to do :)) The idea is to choose the month you were born and the day you were born. Pass this on to the girls only and lets see how far it reaches around. The last one about the bra went round all over the world. So you'll write... I'm (your birth month) weeks and I'm craving (your birth date)!!! as your status. Example: Feb 14th= I'm 2 weeks and craving Chocolate mints!! January-1week February-2weeks March-3weeks April-4weeks May-5weeks June-6weeks July-7weeks August-8weeks September-9weeks October-10weeks November-11weeks December-12weeks Days of the month: 1-Skittles 2-Starburst 3-Kit-Kat 4-M&M's 5-Galaxy 6-Crunchie 7-Dairy Milk 8-Lollipop 9-Peanut Butter Cups 10-Meat Balls 11-Twizzlers 12-Bubble Gum 13-Hershey's Kisses 14-Chocolate Mints 15-Twix 16-Resse's Fastbreak 17-Fudge 18-Cherry Jello 19-Milkyway 20-Pickels 21-Creme Eggs 22-Skittles 23-Gummy Bears 24-Gummy Worms 25-Strawberry Pop Tarts 26-Starburst 27-Mini Eggs 28-Kit-Kat Chunkie 29-Double Chocolate Chip Chrunchy Cookies 30-Smarties 31-Chocolate Cake.

I really don't like this type of thing. It isn't respectful to the cancer nor to pregnancy. I don't think that "joke" was in good taste. I'm not sorry I have been 'sucked' into facebook (I keep in touch with lots of relatives there), but thankfully I can choose how I behave on there! The other nice thing is that I spoke up against the little joke campaign saying how I felt about it.

It makes no sense whatsoever. And it's rude. And hurtful.

The colored bra thing last year was just dumb. But this is in very poor taste.

:iagree:

I felt really bad for 1 person who posted one of these, everyone jumped to the conclusion that she was pregnant. She had lost her only child, a 2yo, to a genetic disease years ago. She got so many congratulations that it became an embarrassment.

A friend and I were talking about how hurtful this was. She's had 3 miscarrages and is a cancer survivor (brain cancer), and said that this just really brings back all kinds of bad things. And her question was how does this encourage the average person to donate to the breast cancer research?

Ok pretty ladies, it's that time of year again, in support of breast cancer awareness!! So we all remember last years game of writing your bra color as your status or the way we like to have our handbag handy? Remember last year so many people took part that it made national news and the constant updating of status reminded everyone why we're doing this and helped raise awareness!! Do NOT tell any males what the status' mean, keep them guessing!! And please copy and paste (in a message )this to all your female friends to see if we can make a bigger fuss this year than last year!!! I did my part... now YOUR turn ! Go on ladies...and let's have all the males guessing! It's time to confuse the men again (not that its really that hard to do :)) The idea is to choose the month you were born and the day you were born. Pass this on to the girls only and lets see how far it reaches around. The last one about the bra went round all over the world. So you'll write... I'm (your birth month) weeks and I'm craving (your birth date)!!! as your status. Example: Feb 14th= I'm 2 weeks and craving Chocolate mints!! January-1week February-2weeks March-3weeks April-4weeks May-5weeks June-6weeks July-7weeks August-8weeks September-9weeks October-10weeks November-11weeks December-12weeks Days of the month: 1-Skittles 2-Starburst 3-Kit-Kat 4-M&M's 5-Galaxy 6-Crunchie 7-Dairy Milk 8-Lollipop 9-Peanut Butter Cups 10-Meat Balls 11-Twizzlers 12-Bubble Gum 13-Hershey's Kisses 14-Chocolate Mints 15-Twix 16-Resse's Fastbreak 17-Fudge 18-Cherry Jello 19-Milkyway 20-Pickels 21-Creme Eggs 22-Skittles 23-Gummy Bears 24-Gummy Worms 25-Strawberry Pop Tarts 26-Starburst 27-Mini Eggs 28-Kit-Kat Chunkie 29-Double Chocolate Chip Chrunchy Cookies 30-Smarties 31-Chocolate Cake.

:001_huh: That's really, really lame. What on earth does that have to do with Breast Cancer Awareness?

A friend and I were talking about how hurtful this was. She's had 3 miscarrages and is a cancer survivor (brain cancer), and said that this just really brings back all kinds of bad things. And her question was how does this encourage the average person to donate to the breast cancer research?

If no one except the insiders even know what it's about, WHAT'S THE POINT??? My sister posted a "craving" status update and when I asked in a comment what she was talking about, she just ignored it. So much for "awareness."

Really, really stupid and pointless.

I am not on Facebook because most of the things I hear about it make me go: "blech!" including this.

So I'd say consider the source. This little game sounds so juvenile...but if you weren't on FB, you wouldn't have to deal with it.

Edited by unsinkable
cuz *on* has an *n*

Lame! And horrible about men. For crying out loud, I resent male bashing. I love my father/husband/sons and do NOT like people talking bad about them.

So far no one on my fb has done that. BUT, I have only a few friends on fb--and I like it that way. I have yet to run into any of the strange stuff other people do on fb because of my tiny friend list.

:001_huh: That's really, really lame. What on earth does that have to do with Breast Cancer Awareness?

Absolutely nothing. I imagine that's just the way for whoever dreamed it up to try to make sure that lots of people participate. I mean, you care about breast cancer awareness, don't you? :001_rolleyes:

Nobody on my Facebook has said anything like that. Several people complaining about it though. ;)

What makes it interesting for me is that I've mentioned my pregnancy on FB, and some ppl are just now noticing :lol:...and wondering if I'm actually pregnant or doing some weird status thing.

Nope, actually going to be giving birth, folks.

I hate any and all of these things that tell me what I should post as my FB status. Yes, I'm a hater.

Maybe we should come up with a hater status that we can post and then forward to everyone telling them they should post it too. Oh wait...there is probably one of these already floating around out there. :lol:

Count me as a hater too!

Who would start something like this??? :confused:

It makes me wonder if there's someone trying to demonstrate how easy it is to pull the wool over the sheeples' eyes. Or sell more candy.

I skipped this one. I had it sent to me in a message. There was no explanation of why you were to post in the message that I received.

I found it odd.

With that said, don't hate Facebook. Wonder why your friends and family would post such nonsense! People can be extremely strange sometimes. They neglect to remember the public nature of Facebook too.

My aware-inator is broken at the moment, but Perry is on his way over to fix it.

:lol::lol::lol:

With that said, don't hate Facebook. Wonder why your friends and family would post such nonsense! People can be extremely strange sometimes. They neglect to remember the public nature of Facebook too.

Eh, I hated Facebook long before I saw this. I resisted for so long, but there finally came a point where I was no longer in the loop on discussions and social events without being active on Facebook. I find it incredibly frustrating, because the whole "live out loud" element irritates me, I find the interface overwhelming, and I don't have time to scan everything that happened while I was away in case I missed some important detail, but I don't have a choice. This whole "awareness" campaign just adds fuel to the fire :tongue_smilie:

I just made my announcement on Facebook yesterday. I hope nobody thought it was fake. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: How funny! And congratulations! :grouphug:

You know which awareness raising status I hate? There's not much about Facebook that causes more then eye rolling for me, but the child abuse ones like the little girl who colored her mom's bed with lipstick or the boy who dented his father's car with a hammer. Every sad little story ends with telling you to re-post if you are against child abuse or post to stop child abuse. I don't get the point at all.

/vent off. Sorry, they've been making the rounds lately and it's just awful.

Edited by MrsBasil

I have a lot of friends who posted this, but no one sent me the email. I had to Google it. But I learned nothing.g about cancer...I too hate all tue reposting on Facebook. These games and the ones where people say "post this if you believe in God....I know no.e of my friends will." They aggravate me.

Honestly, it's hurtful. Especially for people that have infertility and miscarriages let alone those that have survived breast cancer and are now infertile because of it.

:iagree:x100!

I had ovarian cancer in high school and am now infertile. There are few people out there who are for cancer awareness like I am but the last thing I'm going to post on Facebook is something to lead people to believe I'm pregnant. Gah. Cutesy silly messages don't raise awareness of cancer. It's offensive to people who have had cancer and to people who are infertile.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really sickened by the whole Facebook/Breast Cancer awareness thing.

Wow--that's really, really obnoxious.

I also post on an infertility forum. One of the posters on that site said that her sister has breast cancer and just had a very bad appointment. She came home to find the breast cancer awareness message and it really, really upset her. She felt is was being silly about breast cancer and causing very real pain to those suffering from infertility as well. I don't participate in those kinds of things.

I have never posted one of those statuses either. I got two of those messages: One from a friend w/ cancer saying how hurtful it was and not to do it. Another from a friend with cancer saying how much it would mean if we all did it. She feels it raises awareness by having women think about it, check themselves and get a mammogram. She tagged her personal story on.

I am so afraid to upset anyone on FB! One Valentines Day I went along with one of these and changed my photo to us when we were much younger and posted how long we had been married and known each other. Several people commented how hurtful it is for single people! :001_huh: I am scared to post anything now!

Edited by Quad Shot Academy
typos

:iagree:x100!

I had ovarian cancer in high school and am now infertile. There are few people out there who are for cancer awareness like I am but the last thing I'm going to post on Facebook is something to lead people to believe I'm pregnant. Gah. Cutesy silly messages don't raise awareness of cancer. It's offensive to people who have had cancer and to people who are infertile.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really sickened by the whole Facebook/Breast Cancer awareness thing.

:iagree: It's a hot button thing for me right now too. My Mom's cancer has spread from the breast to several other places and it's heartbreaking and we're only in the early stages. My 87 yr old grandma is a survivor and I believe I will do battle with breast cancer when I am in my early 60's just as they have. I do have regular mammograms and check myself monthly and my GYN is very proactive about it.

I really don't see how Facebook 'secret' statuses are going to help raise Breast Cancer awareness. Or any kind of cancer awareness for that matter. Cancer stinks. It is evil and I hate it.

Not gonna lie, I find it stupid. Things completely unrelated to breast cancer awareness on fb statuses does what exactly?? Grr...:glare: