Menu

What are your plans for gas price hikes? (re: driving)

What are you doing with rising gas prices  

1. 1. What are you doing with rising gas prices

• Our budget won't change, we will drive less if necessary
    • We will increase our budget
    • Other
    • We will be trading our car for a more fuel efficient model

Right now we budget $200 for gas plus $54 for DH's train pass.

We are cutting out Tae Kwon Do, which will shave $65 off our monthly bill for TKD and will shave $25 in gas to get there and back each week per month.

We are considering raising our gas budget by that amount.....$90/mo.

I do realize that is still low. When we lived in CA we drove way more than we do now.

Dawn

I'm looking forward to our last swimming class because it will cut how much I have to drive. I'm trying to start a math salon close to home so we aren't driving to the one an hour (and $20 in gas) away. As soon as DS has his black belt, we'll be looking for a dojang closer to home to save on both time and gas costs, but won't make DS quit unless there is absolutely no other way.

For everything else, we actually have to drive more than we used to. Where we live now, everything is further away than it used to be, including all of DH's clients.

I realize this isn't possible for everybody, but we're actually moving into the city (closer to my husband's work). That's the good thing about renting...you can just pick up and move. :tongue_smilie:

I'm also having my husband drive my minivan to work - which gets twice the gas mileage as his pick-up truck.

We do have plans to cut the driving, but some trips can't be avoided.

My biggest amount of driving is to a homeschooling program. I've been making 6 trips back and forth each week. It will end in a few weeks. I've arranged to carpool with another parent for next school year, so I'll cut the driving in half.

We do have a summer trip planned. My niece is getting married out of state and we can't skip it.

We are both increasing our gas allocation AND cutting back our driving. Hopefully, the 2 will meet somewhere in the middle. The biggest thing I've done is to ask ds's school to start providing bus transportation. Previously I've always driven him to school, but between my back (twice a day transfers with a 55lb kid are starting to take their toll) and the gas prices, we need to make a change. That will cut down our gas bill tremendously.

I voted "other" because we really will be doing a combination of things. RE: our business (which is where the bulk of our driving occurs) DH is trying to increase his client load which means more income but it also means more driving. The hope is that by adding more work it will offset the rising price of gas AND increase our overall income. Our gas budget would increase but so would our income. We have also been discussing adding a "trip fee" for our onsite services and/or increaing our hourly rate. The latter two are a sticky wicket in this economy so the first option seems our best.

We have been tinkering with our vehicles to improve their gas mileage and it seems we have been able to eek 2-5 more mpg out of them by making simple adjustments to the fuel systems. We've talked about looking for more fuel efficient vehicles but we have no car payments now so it's hard to justify spending $400/mo on a car payment to save less than that per month on the gas bill.

I try to consolidate trips as much as possible. We have activities every day but Friday so I try to make sure I check something off my "to do" list while I'm out. I check the mail box on the way home from the gym in the morning rather than make a special trip. We go to the library on the way to DD's dance class. We hit the grocery store on the way home from Dungeons and Dragons. Once summer starts, we will have a 2-3 month break from AHG, dance, AWANAS and Cub Scouts which should cut the bill for a while.

Honestly I'm more nervous about what our heating bill will look like next winter than I am about the price of gas at the pump.

We are a 1 driver family as is. Wolf drives to and from work. I don't see how we could trim our gas expense when we already don't take big trips, etc.

So I guess we'll just adjust the budget so we get to where we need to go.

I did realize this options after I posted the poll but I can't figure out how to amend the poll......

We are probably doing somewhat the same.....cutting driving and increasing the budget.

Dawn

I voted "other" because we really will be doing a combination of things. RE: our business (which is where the bulk of our driving occurs) DH is trying to increase his client load which means more income but it also means more driving. The hope is that by adding more work it will offset the rising price of gas AND increase our overall income. Our gas budget would increase but so would our income. We have also been discussing adding a "trip fee" for our onsite services and/or increaing our hourly rate. The latter two are a sticky wicket in this economy so the first option seems our best.

We have been tinkering with our vehicles to improve their gas mileage and it seems we have been able to eek 2-5 more mpg out of them by making simple adjustments to the fuel systems. We've talked about looking for more fuel efficient vehicles but we have no car payments now so it's hard to justify spending $400/mo on a car payment to save less than that per month on the gas bill.

I try to consolidate trips as much as possible. We have activities every day but Friday so I try to make sure I check something off my "to do" list while I'm out. I check the mail box on the way home from the gym in the morning rather than make a special trip. We go to the library on the way to DD's dance class. We hit the grocery store on the way home from Dungeons and Dragons. Once summer starts, we will have a 2-3 month break from AHG, dance, AWANAS and Cub Scouts which should cut the bill for a while.

Honestly I'm more nervous about what our heating bill will look like next winter than I am about the price of gas at the pump.

We don't budget.

I think it's a good place to stop for gas if the station is on the same side of the street I'm on, and it's not busy.

As it is, with the exception of visiting my parents every three to four weeks we don't drive much. We have one car, and without a visit to my parents one tank of gas can last all month.

Our driving pattern is completely different over the summer. We ride bikes more. Of course, we are lucky in that we do not need to drive to enjoy the water. For years I have spent part of the summer using a bicycle only for transportation. I find taking a break from driving is healthful for the planet and me.

We live in a small spot, 15 miles from any public transportation. I'm trying to make one tank of gas... last for a month. It's not easy though. It's $85 to fill up the tank... and probably 2x a month.

Gas prices are one reason, I can't seem to say "yes" to my husband buying a gas guzzling truck. He has a CRX right now, and I can't imagine how much more gas he'd go through... He drives 40 minutes or so each way. Of course, he's a big boy and will buy as he chooses... but I don't think I'll give him a hearty "go ahead" when it means his gas $$$ will be 4x as much. Course, Boys want trucks! ;)

With the weather finally starting to show signs of getting warm, I'd like to start bicycling a little more. Our church, dh's job and the dance studio are all within biking distance. My only problem is that traffic around here is really dangerous and I worry about taking my kids into the traffic.

Guest jab300
We don't really budget for such things because we have no control over them. We must drive certain places. I have budgeted a certain amount of time to spend cursing the oil companies, however. ;)

:lol::iagree:

More money for gas will come directly out of our food budget. Sad but true. We live in a rural location, so other transportation options aren't available. We drive less in the summer because the dc don't have activities. In the fall I'll try to make everything be on the same days. At least I'm comforted to know that the oil companies are boasting record profits! :glare:

My husband drives an hour each way for work 5 days a week, in a car that gets decent mileage. Unfortunately he also does about 3 more hours a week for that employer to pick up things from other locations - without being reimbursed. I don't see this changing any time soon.

We use about half of a tank each month on the van to run errands. I don't see that going down substantially.

We have far too many trips planned in the next 6 months. We are visiting my in-laws for a few days, visiting my family for a few days, and driving down to Disney from Pennsylvania. I just mapped it out and it looks like it will be more than 3500 miles total? I'd be perfectly content to never leave the house again, but no one else in this family shares that sentiment.

Other...I have already made most of the changes I plan to make.

I factor in the price of fuel to my trips so sometimes that means buying something at a more expensive store, that is closer to my location, is actually cheaper.

I am looking at things to do around where my kids activities are, so I can 'hang out' more than I used to. I used to drive home and then drive back to pick them up more than I do now. Crew and sailing this summer are both 20 minutes each way and are near parks. I am not a 'park' person, but I foresee me changing in the near future.

I have quite a bit of flex in my income over my expenses. I generally save this extra. I don't have a budget perse. I will inevitably save less this year due to more going in my gas tank than my other accounts.

Ds16 chose to not get a car this year, and is opting to ride the city bus instead. Through his college he can get an unlimited bus pass for $19 a term. He has 2 friends that he has taught to ride the bus too. LOL He feels that it is not a good time for him to have the temptation of a car (and fuel expense), when the bus can get him wherever he wants to go (within reason). Gotta love a logical kid :lol:

Dh's company is encouraging employees to utilize technology instead of driving so much. This translates into people working from home more, or stopping at places like Starbucks that have free wi-fi instead of coming back to the office unnecessarily. The company was discouraging technology a few years ago, feeling that too much sensitive company info was floating around unprotected out of the company's offices. What a difference $2 a gallon makes LOL

At home we go without a bit more than we used to. I don't run to the market for milk or bread. I also throw away a bit more food because of it. LOL I tend to buy a bit of extra....just so I don't make a special trip. It is probably a wash. LOL

When I needed time away before, I used to take off in my car and go somewhere away from the house. Now, I grab my laptop and hide in my room watching movies on Netflix.

I don't have an official budget for gas, but I try to keep it to a tank per week - give or take. I have no idea how much gas is supposed to increase, but if it's like the past years prior then we won't be changing too much. The price hikes tend to coincide with our travel plans (we fly, not drive) and with off-seasons for our extracurriculars, so that always helps.

Really the only adjustments I make are to be better at planning ahead so I can consolidate trips (errands with extracurriculars, carpooling to sports). I do that when it starts taking more than a tank to get through a week, give or take. I also reduce my sphere of shopping ~ there are four Half-Price Books within 20 miles of me, so when the tank is running low I have to suck it up and stick to only my closest one LOL. I could buy on-line, but for me it's all about the hunt ;) I usually hit up 2-3 stores each week.

In 11 months I have driven my car 22,000 miles!!! Insane!!

I started adding up how much that cost in gas but I began to feel ill so I stopped. :001_huh:

I am trying to drive less by doing more when we are out and actually keeping the car in the driveway.

I wish DH's company would move more toward this option.

I would really like him to at least only have to go in 3 times per week.

Unfortunately, he goes in 5 days per week, 25 miles each way (but 13 of those are on the train.)

Dawn

Dh's company is encouraging employees to utilize technology instead of driving so much. This translates into people working from home more, or stopping at places like Starbucks that have free wi-fi instead of coming back to the office unnecessarily. The company was discouraging technology a few years ago, feeling that too much sensitive company info was floating around unprotected out of the company's offices. What a difference $2 a gallon makes LOL

I live in town so if worse comes to worst I can walk dd to both dance and martial arts class. They are 3 and 4 blocks respectively.

Dh has already switched from driving the truck(6-cylinder mid-size) to driving the car (4-cylinder compact) the 6 miles round trip for work.

Other than that my vehicle sits in the drive most days and doesn't move. The car is supposed to be "mine." We bought it new 21 months ago. It has less than 6500 miles on it.

Really, unless I have to go to the market or one of the bigger towns I could walk where ever I needed to be.

We already drive small, fuel-efficient cars. And our "strategy" for coping with this wasn't entirely or even primarily driven by gas prices. However, we just moved from the suburbs to downtown. It makes a longer commute for my husband (about 10 miles more each way), but I should end up driving much, much less.

Activities my kids do that were 20 miles away are now less than five. We're also consolidating my son's various dance and music classes at a single studio that is about two miles from the house. Since I frequently made multiple trips per day (drive son to dance lesson, then home, then drop off son for a four-hour rehearsal, go home, come back to collect him, etc.), we should see a real savings, even taking into account the extra driving for my husband.

And some things that used to be a 40-mile round trip (like our church) are now within easy walking or biking distance.

We're paying no more in rent. And, in addition to monetary savings in gasoline, I will be saving a lot of time on the road (and a lot of time waiting around in parking lots because it didn't make sense to go home for 30 minutes).

So, time and convenience, not money, were the primary motivators for us, but using less fuel will be a nice bonus!

Edited by Jenny in Florida

and we mostly stay home in the summer, so we'll be OK. We're cutting out one activity in the fall and already have carpool plans for another, so that will help too.

I've been been buying groceries and doing errands once a week for awhile, so we're already careful that way.

I'm waiting to hear on one contract job that is close to home, and if I get that, I will turn down another than would require a commute.

We've already cut back on non-essential driving, and we're increasing our budget for essential driving. We'll also rearrange our routines so that if I have to do all grocery shopping when DH is home, so that I can take the more fuel-efficient vehicle, so be it. Fun stuff for the family has already been cut way back and will be cut more, if that's what it takes to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. I'm really, really hoping that gas doesn't go up much more, because if so, we'll cut out DD's dance class, and that will break my heart -- she lives for dancing, and it's the only outside activity, besides our homeschool co-op, that any of the kids do. Co-op would be the next thing to cut.

Other,

I don't do a budget, sorry. Not a big fan of them.

we just live extremely frugally.

when the price continues to rise, we will just drive less and less.

We have passed peek oil, the price will only go up from now on until only the very rich can afford to have a car. I envisage the world gradually going back to how it was in past centuries,our future generations will look back at this error with wonder.

Voted other as we do a combination of upping our budget but also driving less.

We have certain necessities that we have to drive - and we don't really drive more than that. So we have to up our budget to meet those necessities.

We have become more aware of what we are driving that we don't need to. Trying to combine multiple stops into one trip. Hubby is less likely to take the car to school just because its convenient (he gets free transit pass as a student).

I recently lost the job I had which although hurting us financially means we are driving less. It also means we have more time during the day to walk / take transit (which is free in our town) to the library, store, etc.

How hard was it to sell your house?

Dawn

This latest rise in gas prices made us serious about moving. We close on the old and new houses on May 27 and will now live four miles from DH's work and our church instead of the previous 24. We can't wait!

Please answer the poll to the best of your ability....I realize this is not an exact science.

I really don't know what we will do yet.

DH and I were talking about how much he has to drive for work. Rather than just having a home to work commute, he often ends up driving to other sites for presentations or consultations.

There is a process for submitting a local area travel claim when you are doing work travel in the local area. At the current gas prices, it ceases to be just academic. Especially when his day may involve driving from home to site A to work to site B to home. This is more than just the expected commute. He has a relatively fuel efficient car and is filling up several times a week.

I think there is also a means for tracking this for tax purposes as a business expense. We cannot do both, but I think we need to do one of them. I'd vote for getting the travel claim, since we rarely itemize taxes anymore.

Our late 1986 Dodge Omni no longer runs and we do not have another motor vehicle. DH is riding his bicycle to work, and my bicycle needs tires. We are three miles out of town and no bus, so I guess I will be getting into better shape soon :glare:.

Right now we do plan to buy a car before winter, but I think it will be interesting to see how the summer goes with no car.

How hard was it to sell your house?

Dawn

I almost hate to say it, but it was really easy. We had one showing and an offer in eight days (did not beat our former record of a sale in eight hours though :D). They did low ball us at first, but we held firm until they came up to what we wanted to get. We prayed daily and also asked St. Joseph for his intercession each day as well; we go straight to the power-players for results. ;) I really think this move was God's will for us as we will be able to be so much more involved in our parish now.

All of that said, from a practical standpoint we are located about five miles from an Army post. Areas like this typically have their own micro-economies that are not as affected by the larger picture with the turn over of service members and contractors. Our house is also only five years old and has four bedrooms. All of these things certainly worked in our advantage. We did lose a little bit of equity in the sale, but the similar house we bought in the next town (definite buyer's market there) was significantly less, so it all came out even in the end.

I chose other because we're driving less and I added in another day of work. I work, in part, to keep gas in the vehicle so that my dh can *make it* to his job. The money goes to gasoline as soon as it's in my account. *sigh*

And then we're also doing stuff like combining trips and doing the cheapest vacation possible *very* close to home. (I feel blessed to be able to go on a vacation at all!) We've also adjusted our expenditures in other categories. It stinks.

My car runs on LPG so it is relatively cheap.

We are getting rid of dh's car- dd16 has a car now that she cant drive yet- so he will use that, my car, and his motorbike.

I am seriously considering getting my motorbike license and a small motorbike. DH already has one- his beloved Harley Davidson- which he takes me on- but I am thinking there are so many small outings I make alone nowadays, which I could make on a small motorbike (I don't like mopeds though- the small wheels bug me).

I drive a lot less now that we are not homeschooling. I have a $200 a month budget for fuel and frequently have money leftover at the end of the month.

Well I really can't vote....

We will have to increase our budget by $300 dollars for gas for MY van which we are borrowing from my parents since we have a GAS GUZZLING suv!! :glare: This van is not a good MPG however it is def. better than our SUV. hubby has his take home truck however we pay $60 a month out of his paycheck. It is a big help.

We did look into a gas saving vehicle which was the hybrid Honda Civic. We got approved for the loan and trade in however the battery was the issue since it was no longer under warranty and the battery runs 2000 a piece. YIKES! So we passed on the loan and still back to square one.

We still do not know what to do. I work full time and homeschool as well. Right now we are thinking about cutting the homeschool group/school and do it all at home. :glare::glare: We really do not want to cut this out totally but thinking about just doing one class per kid and that is it!

Sorry just can't vote but wanted to participate to tell you where we are at.

The money I make thought all of it is not going to gas. It is about 35% goes to gas and the rest to bills and extras. However we are having to tighten everything. I only work for health insurance we get discount for due to both of us working for the same place. There is a spousal benefit at this place. It sucks but that is the only reason I am working.

Our plan was go to Florida but now we are just going for a 2 night trip to Kings Island. It is all we can afford because of this suv we have. GGGRRR!

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

Really I think I would look at just a plain/basic Honda civic, non hybrid.

It can still get around 37-40mpg and you can get them for a lot less than the hybrid.

Dawn

Well I really can't vote....

We will have to increase our budget by $300 dollars for gas for MY van which we are borrowing from my parents since we have a GAS GUZZLING suv!! :glare: This van is not a good MPG however it is def. better than our SUV. hubby has his take home truck however we pay $60 a month out of his paycheck. It is a big help.

We did look into a gas saving vehicle which was the hybrid Honda Civic. We got approved for the loan and trade in however the battery was the issue since it was no longer under warranty and the battery runs 2000 a piece. YIKES! So we passed on the loan and still back to square one.

We still do not know what to do. I work full time and homeschool as well. Right now we are thinking about cutting the homeschool group/school and do it all at home. :glare::glare: We really do not want to cut this out totally but thinking about just doing one class per kid and that is it!

Sorry just can't vote but wanted to participate to tell you where we are at.

The money I make thought all of it is not going to gas. It is about 35% goes to gas and the rest to bills and extras. However we are having to tighten everything. I only work for health insurance we get discount for due to both of us working for the same place. There is a spousal benefit at this place. It sucks but that is the only reason I am working.

Our plan was go to Florida but now we are just going for a 2 night trip to Kings Island. It is all we can afford because of this suv we have. GGGRRR!

Holly

Petrol prices here rose quite a few years ago. People stopped driving for something to do. I don't think many people started walking any more, but "going for a drive" isn't something people do any more. Except for my brother, but all he spends money on is food, rent, bills and petrol because driving is what he does. :) I used to take plenty of one day holidays and zoom off over the state border, just for the fun of it. We hardly ever leave town now :(

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Well, that is wonderful!

We sold our houses within days, but we haven't even tried to sell in the current economy.

We have considered selling and downsizing so that we can have a paid for house by the time our kids go to college. Right now, it can't happen.

Dawn

I almost hate to say it, but it was really easy. We had one showing and an offer in eight days (did not beat our former record of a sale in eight hours though :D). They did low ball us at first, but we held firm until they came up to what we wanted to get. We prayed daily and also asked St. Joseph for his intercession each day as well; we go straight to the power-players for results. ;) I really think this move was God's will for us as we will be able to be so much more involved in our parish now.

All of that said, from a practical standpoint we are located about five miles from an Army post. Areas like this typically have their own micro-economies that are not as affected by the larger picture with the turn over of service members and contractors. Our house is also only five years old and has four bedrooms. All of these things certainly worked in our advantage. We did lose a little bit of equity in the sale, but the similar house we bought in the next town (definite buyer's market there) was significantly less, so it all came out even in the end.