Menu

If you were designing a protest T-shirt

You could do something like: "Charles City County Reads, Too!" or "Give Us Back Our Books" or some such...

or some sort of play on the quote: "If you didn't want them to think, you shouldn't have given them library cards." -from Getting Straight, 1970 film. Like quoting that and adding a line saying something about how you shouldn't have taken them away. I'd need to think on it some more :D

Or teeshirts with this quote:

"A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life."

--Henry Ward Beecher

Or some sort of play on the quote: "When I got my library card, that was when my life began." Adding PLEASE DON'T END IT! Or some such.

I'd turn to quotations on reading and libraries...here are a few.

I cannot live without books. Thomas Jefferson

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. Mortimer J. Adler

A library should be like a pair of open arms. Roger Rosenblatt

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. Benjamin Franklin

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing. Cicero

Or, I'd get cutesy...

WWFD? What would Franklin Do?

Oh say can you read?

Sticks and stones may break my bones...words can only enrich me.

BTW, I'm horrified that your library has made such a short-sighted choice. Good luck!

Edited by 3littlekeets

All We Are Saying Is Give Fees a Chance

Good one!

If you have the budget, you could do a heart- strings yank with the last lines of that Strickland Gillilan poem:

You may have tangible wealth untold;

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be --

I had a Mother who read to me.

It would at least be a good poster to make for the town meeting...held by a little kid dressed as a pirate. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

The latest news makes me think we should be pressing the city and county governments as well. Ken Cuccinelli says everyone needs to contact thier state delegates, which we have done. Are there any places that we can boycott that will make a difference? A friend suggested contacting "10 on your side."

"All we are saying is give fees a chance" this would look good on a placard.

"I read my eyes out and can't read half enough. ... The more one reads the more one sees we have to read."

• Letter to Abigail Adams (28 December 1794), Adams Papers, Massachusetts Historical Society

The above is a John Adams quote. I'd probably add something like - "I have the need - to read!'

And I love 'give fees a chance'.

This is really one of the most baffling decisions I've ever read about. It truly makes no sense at all.

The library needs funding, indeed

to buy books for the patrons to read.

So why do they say

that our fees cannot pay

to help with the financial need?

Regarding their claim that they can't accept fees due to conflict with other funding sources, check with your county commissioners to determine exactly what are the sources of library funding. Then you can contact them directly to determine exactly why any of them would not welcome an additional funding source from incorporating additional fees from out-of-county sources.

My husband says your town should rent a single studio in the library district. Then you'd have the right address! :D It might even be cheaper than a fee.

When I lived in a town that didn't participate in the rest-of-the-county library system, but had to have a new fancy one, a friend and I (who worked near my library) traded cards. I gave her kiddo's and I got her teen-at-college card.

"Shelve books, not patrons"

"Books aren't doing anyone any good on a library shelf"

"Don't close the door to opening minds"

"Information is a right, not a privilege"

"Shakespeare, Chaucer, Cervantes, Austin--what to they have in common? They are now off limits to my family."

I was wondering if "sit-ins" would work... Media Coverage?? Crazy!! Sorry :(

Read-ins outside the library and with advance notificaiton of media.

If it helps, SWB, in our area, *any* of the public libraries allow outsiders to use them for a fee. It's like $30 per year. Even the local university allows it. All gummint funded, too.

No slogan options but a few questions: I don't expect you to really answer all of these but more of a spring board of thoughts on how to go about getting the rule changed, instead of a exception.

Does this library have reciprocal rights with any other counties/states? IF they do, how are these other areas getting by with using the branch materials?

How much funding are they talking about? (are we talking $10,000 that may be fundraised to essentially 'buy out' the funding restrictions or $100,000 that can't be replaced with spaghetti feeds). Who wrote the funding restrictions? Are they new restrictions or old? What are the intention of the restrictions vs. the wording of them? What would the steps be to get the restrictions on the funding changed? Are these restrictions common among the other libraries in the state? How large is this library system? Is the small size a problem with the funding? I assume they have more than one source of funding....how will the drop in circulation affect the other funding?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My new library told me today I could just mail myself a postcard to have something with my name and address.

So I started to wonder if other's could mail themselves a postcard to a relative/friend/work location and get a card that way.

Now, lets please not start a whole thread on the ethics of this ;). It was just a thought :D.

I like this one. I wonder what would happen if you rented a PO Box within the city limits? Some of them (Mailboxes Etc I think) give you an actual street address with a #.

I live in a town without its own library but we have a lot of options to use the libraries within the county. I can go to the main library branch or the County College to check out books for free (which is what I do. Thankfully it does allow me to order books from the other branches, I just have to pick them up at the main branch). I can pay a fee at one of the other town branches and get a card good in the entire county for $145/year (I did this one year before I decided the drive to the county branch wasn't a big deal). Since my dd goes to high school in the next town over, she can get a card good for the entire county free through their branch.

The subscription card service doesn't seem to be affecting the government support our libraries receive. They also offer free cards to anyone living, going to school or WORKING (not just owning a business) within the county since they are all part of the county community.

Edited by dottieanna29

objecting to losing your library card (details here: http://susanwisebauer.com/blog), what would it say?

Always come to the Hive Mind for slogans. :-)

SWB

Front:

Got Books?

Thanks to the Williamsburg Regional Library you may not!

Back:

Words speak; Use yours!

Libraries are for Patrons.

Protest the WRL's policy change.

Keep the Public in Public Libraries

Love it!

Wear tye-dyed T-Shirts and use neon colors a la 60/70's on the signs for the next board meeting. Good luck in the fight. You should be allowed to use the public library as an out of county resident for a fee. All libraries allow this.

Love it!

Wear tye-dyed T-Shirts and use neon colors a la 60/70's on the signs for the next board meeting. Good luck in the fight. You should be allowed to use the public library as an out of county resident for a fee. All libraries allow this.

Don't forget the ipods with the lighter app--hold 'em high and wave back and forth. :D

SWB, your situation must be absolutely aggravating. We have the privilege of using the library system in the next county over. Our county's system is deplorable. Although the fee has more than doubled--used to be $20 for 2 years, now $25 per year--it is still such a bargain for us. Good luck with your campaign!

I pay $50/year to use the library system in the next county over. If I didn't have that option, we would be limited to a very tiny library that does not participate with our state-wide interlibrary loan system, so I couldn't even request books. I would definitely protest the library's decision.