Menu

Am I being unreasonable??

My BIL and almost SIL are coming to our house today for a visit. They don't live in the area, but have been staying with her parents (who do live here) for the holidays. Last night, BIL informed us that he and his fiancee would be arriving today with their dog. Um....we have four cats. And a rabbit. My dh said he didn't think that was such a hot idea, since we really can't lock up our cats (they pick at the carpet if they're kept in a locked room and there is always the chance of an accident when they're confined) and it would absolutely terrify them to have a dog in the house.

BIL said he wasn't sure how SIL would react to that because everyone else has been "thrilled to death" to have the dog visit and because the dog is their "child" (wears clothes, pampered, won't stop barking....it's one of those "teacup" dogs).

My suggestion was to have the dog stay with its "grandma", but SIL won't hear of it.

What do you think, ladies? Am I the unreasonable one? Should I tell her it's ok to bring her dog/child?

Sil won't hear of it? Haha. I don't think company gets to decide who/what they'll be bringing. It's your home. :glare: "Sorry, having the dog here won't work for us. We're SO looking forward to seeing YOU, though."

Must agree! :iagree:

When I was going to NJ last weekend, my sister said point blank (and I understood completely), 'You know that you cannot bring your dog.' And, in fact, I wasn't bringing the dog, but I certainly understood that it was her home that I was visiting and it was her place to tell me to leave him home --- not my place to tell her that he was coming (which he wasn't).

Do you have a laundry room or utilitly room or somewhere that you could lock it up? If so I might inform them that it can stay in there if she brings it. But that your cats are your kids and this is their home. I don't do animals as "kids" by the way, but if they do that is what I would say so that they would understand.

I don't bring my cats to your house, please don't bring your dog to mine! I would never bring my dog to someone's house, w/out permission. And if it's only for the day- no way! Can one of your kids be allergic to dogs, or maybe you or dh could be? Or just tell them it's fine, but doggie will have to stay in the garage the whole time. Sorry, SIL to be, is being rude.

Well I'd tell her no leave the annoying little yapping thing at her mom's. But then I don't like little dogs. Or annoying dog owners. (Bet you didn't guess that huh?;))

But if it will keep peace, and husband really wants his brother to visit, then I'd tell them sure, but it MUST stay in it's travel cage. Or the very least her purse. And you don't take any responisblity for the cats going after the dog, or SIL's legs because the dog is on her lap.

Do you have a tavel cage for taking cats/rabbit to the vet. I'd get it out, set it on the floor in the living room and tell them when they come in that you didn't want her to have to hold the dog THE ENTIRE TIME they were here, and you didn't want to worry about the cats going after the dog on her lap, and since the dog CAN NOT get down and wander around, you got out the travel cage for them to put the dog in while they visit. Put an old towel or two in it for him. And you may want to have an extra to cover the cage with so he'll lay down and not get all excited at ever cat/kid/rabbit coming through the room.

That's all if you really care if they visit. If it's just one of those "we'll we're in town, we're related, so we're supposed to come see you, but it doesn't really matter one what or the other" then I'd say tell them no, bringing the dog over to our house doesn't work for us.

What do you think, ladies? Am I the unreasonable one? Should I tell her it's ok to bring her dog/child?

Your sil is being completely unreasonable. *I* would say, actually, my dh would tell his bil, "Sorry, but your dog can't come. It will freak out our cats. If that won't work for you, we are more than happy to get together somewhere else."

But dh and I are unsocial and inflexible. (True.) In the interest of getting along with family, you might instead ask what will the dog do while at your house. Will they bring him in a carrier, or keep him otherwise confined? Do you have an old playpen for him or other area where he can be near people but not running free? Or maybe he will run over to your cats to check them out, get swatted or otherwise terrorized by your cats and then hide on his mom's lap for the rest of the visit . . .

Ugh, I barely like my own dog. I couldn't stand someone else's dog in my home no matter what.

You are ABSOLUTELY NOT being unreasonable. She is, very.

Is she willing to keep it on a leash next to her the entire visit? Do they have a little carrier crate to confine the dog if it gets out of hand? Has the dog reacted well to pets in the other homes that were "thrilled" to have them visit?

And have you met the fiancee before?

If you have not met her and she is willing to keep the dog with her and under control at all times AND you are willing to try it, I'd say yes in order to give the relationship with this young woman the best chance for a good start.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a meeting place other than your home. (What would she do with the dog if you were all planning to go out to eat? :confused: )

Honestly, I don't get this "my dog is my child" thing. I love dogs. I love my dog. He's a great dog. But it would be incredibly rude to impose my dog on someone else and to behave as though my host was rude to suggest I leave the dog home.

That said, maybe she is just alarmed at the idea of leaving her "baby," or the "grandparents" don't want to watch the dog, or she's overwhelmed by meeting all of these people and the dog gives her something to focus on and talk about. It doesn't excuse her bad manners but until you meet her, whether it's in your home or not, you don't really know. I guess I'm always inclined to give people the best chance I can.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

My sister has dogs that are her "kids" but if she brings them (usually doesn't) she leaves them in the garage, tied up outside, or in her car.

My sil once brought a rotwheiler (spelling) and it tried to put one of the youngest grandkids' head in its mouth. The mother of the child was a little upset and they asked sil if the dog could go outside. She left in a huff saying if her dog wasn't welcome then she wasn't either. Ridiculous!

If people have pets they have to be aware that not everyone wants their pet at their home. You are not unreasonable. It's your house.

First of all- you are NOT being unreasonable. The dog can stay home in a crate while they visit with you.

second- I have a small dog- she needs clothes because when she goes outside she shivers something fierce. Little dogs get very cold, very fast. That may be why she puts clothes on it. As far as taking it with her everywhere she goes- that may be out of necessity. They have such small bladders that they need to be taken out often. If they plan on being out of the house for longer than 2-3 hours, then it's easier just to take the dog along so it doesn't have to pee in the crate and then wait with the mess til the owners come back.

So, it may not be a "the dog is my child thing." My dog is certainly not my child, but I am knitting her a sweater right now (too cheap to buy one) because she needs it and I take her places so I don't' have to come home every 2 hours to let her out to go potty.

Of course, I'd never ever impose on you like that. I'd probably ask but I would not be offended if you didn't want me to bring her.

BTW, my little 4 lb chihuahua/pomeranian puppy just sits quietly on my lap all day, so you may not have a problem even if she ends up bringing her.

Well.....since I'm about to write a post about how narrow minded my friends are becoming, I'll be the one to say that maybe you should ask what it would involve to have the dog there.

If it's like another poster said, where the dog actually can't handle the cold and has to pee every 2 hours, and will actually STAY in SIL's bag...then it really might be a non-issue.

But if it's ANYthing other than the above (dog has to be with them for health reasons and will hide in the bag), then I would say, "No dogs allowed." Personally I HATE having people bring dogs to my house. Someone tried it once, and I was so ungracious about it, they never tried again.

But, after a VERY frustrating morning with a bunch of friends who kept judging everything the other one said, I'm in the mood for extending a little grace right now. (I'll write another post about that issue...sheesh, what a morning I had!) It can't hurt to ask what sort of needs the dog has. Maybe SIL is ok with it staying in a bathroom or laundry room or something.

Edited by Garga

I have a dog who I love to bits, but I would never even suggest to bring her when I visited with someone - not unless I knew them very well and had a very open and honest relationship with them (not many of those..). But there's not a chance on this earth that I'd suggest to bring my dog when my host had other pets. I chose to have a dog, and it's me that should work out how to accommodate her if I want to go visiting. Sometimes I've taken her along, and we've taken her for a short walk before and after the visit, but she's stayed in the car during.

IMO, your BIL/SIL are presuming on your family relationship if they say they are bringing their dog; it would be nicer if they could be more thoughtful of you and your pets.

second- I have a small dog- she needs clothes because when she goes outside she shivers something fierce. Little dogs get very cold, very fast. That may be why she puts clothes on it. As far as taking it with her everywhere she goes- that may be out of necessity. They have such small bladders that they need to be taken out often. If they plan on being out of the house for longer than 2-3 hours, then it's easier just to take the dog along so it doesn't have to pee in the crate and then wait with the mess til the owners come back.

So, it may not be a "the dog is my child thing." My dog is certainly not my child, but I am knitting her a sweater right now (too cheap to buy one) because she needs it and I take her places so I don't' have to come home every 2 hours to let her out to go potty.

Of course, I'd never ever impose on you like that. I'd probably ask but I would not be offended if you didn't want me to bring her.

BTW, my little 4 lb chihuahua/pomeranian puppy just sits quietly on my lap all day, so you may not have a problem even if she ends up bringing her.

If it's like another poster said, where the dog actually can't handle the cold and has to pee every 2 hours, and will actually STAY in SIL's bag...then it really might be a non-issue.

But if it's ANYthing other than the above (dog has to be with them for health reasons and will hide in the bag), then I would say, "No dogs allowed." Personally I HATE having people bring dogs to my house. Someone tried it once, and I was so ungracious about it, they never tried again.

I would not want a dog in my house at all, whether I had other pets or not (we have 1 cat). BUT if someone described her dog as springmama did, I would actually make an exception. I would be afraid of a dog running pell mell through my house, wrecking stuff, jumping on people, peeing, etc... Springmama's dog could come over, though. :D But a little yapping dog? No.

Well, they are being unreasonable. They should have asked ahead of time.

But you could be more hospitable. . . Realistically, if you won't at least *try* to make them comfortable (which apparently means making their dog comfortable). . . then you're likely contributing the demise of your relationship with them. This is apparently a 'line in the sand' for them. . .

So, if I were you, I'd do my best.

TBH, I have both hosted unfamiliar dogs (with my dogs & cats present) & taken my dogs to homes with cats, and never had a major problem. You'd be surprised at how adaptable most cats are.

Your cats will likely hide out in a bedroom, under a bed, etc. . . until the dog is gone. Some cats actually like strange dogs, lol. You won't need to lock up the cats, b/c they will go hide! I'd put an extra food/water/litter pan in your own master bedroom (maybe master bath) so the cats have easy access to neccessities.

Just TRY. If it is a total disaster, you need not try again, b/c you can let them know that it was imposible and they need to make alternate plans next time. . .

Good luck!

I would not want a dog in my house at all, whether I had other pets or not (we have 1 cat). BUT if someone described her dog as springmama did, I would actually make an exception. I would be afraid of a dog running pell mell through my house, wrecking stuff, jumping on people, peeing, etc... Springmama's dog could come over, though. :D But a little yapping dog? No.

:)

And my dog isn't even a teacup breed. She's 4 lbs, less than half the size of my newborns, lol, but a teacup is even smaller. I've never met one, but I hear they really do fit inside tea cups, lol! You probably wouldn't even know she's there and I doubt she'd want to run around.

I think tiny dogs are a huge difference from even regular small breeds like I have.

Thanks, ladies! I was starting to doubt myself, because my MIL (who is staying with us), is implying that *I* am the rude one for not being gracious.

For the record, future SIL is anything but gracious. I've met her once before (she came for a Thanksgiving dinner) and, although we've invited her many times since then....BIL is the only one who shows up when they're in town.

We would love to get to know her better, but she's not interested. She seems to delight in trying to cause "strife" between BIL and his family and forcing him to "choose" her over them. Which is why I think this entire dog situation has been engineered on her part to cause much of the same. She will pout and BIL will feel like he needs to stay home with her, since dear doggie is not welcome in our home. Then I'm the "bad guy" for causing this. :glare:

The dog is a Yorkie, who, from what I can tell, NEVER stops barking. At least he is always yapping in the background when we are talking on the phone with BIL. BIL is the one who referred to the dog as his "child", and he expects everyone to view the darling doggie in the same light. Uh.....no. We have cats, who mainly spend their time out of doors. However, we have 8 inches of snow on the ground and it's 11 degrees outside, so they're a bit reluctant at the moment to leave the house. :lol: However, they are not our "children" and we don't treat them as such. As it stands, we will be tossing one of our more annoying kitties in the basement while they are here, because she is always jumping on guests and wanting to be petted.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if she's going to show up with beloved poochie ANYWAY. Should be an interesting day. :glare:

Well, as someone who once had a cat, and a dog -- and all had just moved into a new home -- and a relative came over with their BIG dog, without informing us, all I can say is that it's a recipe for disaster.

The dog took one look at my cat and was off. The poor thing looked as if it was running ON the walls. It took her a very long time to come out of hiding after that.:glare: My dog fared better, but not much.

I don't think any company should get to decide whether or not they will bring a pet over, for many, many reasons.

Although, I think a teacup dog (thinking the kind like Reese Witherspoon carried around in a purse in Legally Blond) would be no match for your cats, especially if it were contained in a doggie bag ;)

I agree with everyone who said stand up for your house, pets, and rights and do NOT let them bring the dog!

On a similar note, I once came home from an errand to find my bil and his kids, spouse visiting... and they had set our parakeet cage out on the open front porch "so the birds could get air". I don't think so, bub! I brought the birds back inside.

Thanks, ladies! I was starting to doubt myself, because my MIL (who is staying with us), is implying that *I* am the rude one for not being gracious.

For the record, future SIL is anything but gracious. I've met her once before (she came for a Thanksgiving dinner) and, although we've invited her many times since then....BIL is the only one who shows up when they're in town.

We would love to get to know her better, but she's not interested. She seems to delight in trying to cause "strife" between BIL and his family and forcing him to "choose" her over them. Which is why I think this entire dog situation has been engineered on her part to cause much of the same. She will pout and BIL will feel like he needs to stay home with her, since dear doggie is not welcome in our home. Then I'm the "bad guy" for causing this. :glare:

The dog is a Yorkie, who, from what I can tell, NEVER stops barking. At least he is always yapping in the background when we are talking on the phone with BIL. BIL is the one who referred to the dog as his "child", and he expects everyone to view the darling doggie in the same light. Uh.....no. We have cats, who mainly spend their time out of doors. However, we have 8 inches of snow on the ground and it's 11 degrees outside, so they're a bit reluctant at the moment to leave the house. :lol: However, they are not our "children" and we don't treat them as such. As it stands, we will be tossing one of our more annoying kitties in the basement while they are here, because she is always jumping on guests and wanting to be petted.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if she's going to show up with beloved poochie ANYWAY. Should be an interesting day. :glare:[/QUOT

Well, if it's going to be you vs the in laws, it might be better to just put up with the dog, let it misbehave and then let them feel dumb for giving you a hard time. Let them be the bad guys while you appear to be a gracious, welcoming host.

Now, I'm just waiting to see if she's going to show up with beloved poochie ANYWAY. Should be an interesting day. :glare:

If she dares show up with the dog, please, please, please do NOT be gracious or keep the peace.

Tell her, ever so politely, that you had made it clear that the dog could not come. Visit with her on the porch for ten minutes, and say goodbye.

If you give in, she will bring that animal each and every time no matter what anyone says.

If she dares show up with the dog, please, please, please do NOT be gracious or keep the peace.

Tell her, ever so politely, that you had made it clear that the dog could not come. Visit with her on the porch for ten minutes, and say goodbye.

If you give in, she will bring that animal each and every time no matter what anyone says.

:iagree:

It can stay in the car. I'd make it clear before she arrives.

:iagree:

When someone TELLS me they WILL do something that 'puts me out' and they know it, my back gets up. Especially if the person has shown themselves to be selfish already. No way, no how would I allow that dog in MY house. No ifs ands or buts. If the dog barks while at home, can you imagine how it will sound in your laundry room? No way would that dog come in my house. I would risk whatever 'fall out' may occur. To allow the dog in your home is to allow her to walk over you.

Edited by Heather in AL
Original post was too wordy; now it's not.

She seems to delight in trying to cause "strife" between BIL and his family and forcing him to "choose" her over them. Which is why I think this entire dog situation has been engineered on her part to cause much of the same. She will pout and BIL will feel like he needs to stay home with her, since dear doggie is not welcome in our home. Then I'm the "bad guy" for causing this. :glare:

::sigh:: I love my sister to DEATH, but this is so her. She creates drama to see who she can get "on her side," kwim? (My mother also does this, but she truly is mentally ill beyond description.) Anyway, I wouldn't be able to allow the dog as my dh and dd(5) are so so allergic. But I really understand the turmoil, right down to trying to make another person look like "the bad guy."

Today it is the dog, tomorrow it is something else. Put your foot down now. (I ignore my sister's attempts to create drama and force people to choose her. She rarely ever pulls it with me now.)

Wow. Dh's family is spread out around the state in a sort of 2-3 hour circle. Most of us bring our dog (or dogs in some cases) because when we visit one another, we're gone too long to leave them alone. BUT... everyone always ASKS first, even though we know the answer will be yes. I wouldn't dream of TELLING someone, not even family, that I'm going to bring my dog to their house.

If they insist on bringing the dog, I'd either tell them they need to bring a carrier for it to stay in, or as other posters said, make it stay in a garage or laundry room.

BIL is the one who referred to the dog as his "child", and he expects everyone to view the darling doggie in the same light.

Oh, please. :glare:

OTOH, perhaps this would be an appropriate time to start speaking with your BIL and future SIL about the advantages of homeschooling their "child." ;)

I love dogs, but I don't want other peoples' dogs in my house, for the reasons you mentioned. You said no. No means no. I think you are absolutely right that your future SIL is trying to start trouble. And your MIL is taking the wrong side in this.

I hate unreasonable guests. If they want to run the show, let them invite people to their home.

Cat

Oh, please. :glare:

OTOH, perhaps this would be an appropriate time to start speaking with your BIL and future SIL about the advantages of homeschooling their "child." ;)

Cat

:lol:

Some people are not happy unless they are making everyone else miserable. Stand your ground!

She seems to delight in trying to cause "strife" between BIL and his family and forcing him to "choose" her over them. Which is why I think this entire dog situation has been engineered on her part to cause much of the same.

I hope he understands this will get worse after marriage.....

I'd make your boundaries early, and keep in friendly touch with your BIL....old stories, cute events, etc. Just to remind him there is a world outside this woman, and a world that is fond of him.

Well, as I figured, beloved doggie could not be left alone, therefore SIL did not come. BIL is here, so I'm sure there will be heck for him to pay later, as he chose us over her.

My only problem with this whole situation was that I was INFORMED the dog was coming, not ASKED. I'm sure it's petty, but that makes me feel manipulated. Had I been given more notice, we may have been able to accomodate the pup. Four hours before their arrival.....no can do.

I know I'm in the "dog house" for being so "mean"...even though it was my DH who said, "no" to the whole situation. Oh well, what are the holidays without some family drama???? :lol:

Well, as I figured, beloved doggie could not be left alone, therefore SIL did not come. BIL is here, so I'm sure there will be heck for him to pay later, as he chose us over her.

My only problem with this whole situation was that I was INFORMED the dog was coming, not ASKED. I'm sure it's petty, but that makes me feel manipulated. Had I been given more notice, we may have been able to accomodate the pup. Four hours before their arrival.....no can do.

I know I'm in the "dog house" for being so "mean"...even though it was my DH who said, "no" to the whole situation. Oh well, what are the holidays without some family drama???? :lol:

She sounds like a real piece of work! Oh well, I guess you should just be thankful you didn't have to spend any time in her company this time around.

If it was me I would have asked for proof of recent vaccination records and heartworm status as well as a recent fecal exam that was done in the last 6 months.

Also proof of flea preventative usage as well.

:tongue_smilie:

Then I would have offered her a carrier to put the dog in a closed room.

But that is me and what I would do.

Just read your most recent post and sorry that there might be strife but glad that she was the one to deal with the dogs barking all day and not you!

I'm glad that you had a nice visit with your BIL.

:iagree: And I hope he didn't get too much grief when he got home, either. Although maybe if he did, it might give him pause for thought.

I don't think you were being petty. It's your house, and it's not for someone else to tell you how to go on in your own home. I am realising, over time, how important this is to insist upon.