Menu

Another dessert poll (come in if you have a bit of extra time to help me).

If you have a moment, would you please look at this list of specialty cakes? In your reply, please put down the top 3 that sound good to you, and what you think the top price is that someone might pay for that cake. All cakes are 14 servings.

Thank you so much!

• Black forest: dark chocolate cake infused with kirsch, filled with a layer of cherry filling and fudge buttercream, and robed in dark chocolate ganache

• Peanut butter Cup: peanut butter cake with special recipe peanut butter filling and chocolate ganache, frosted with fudge buttercream and drizzled with more chocolate ganache.

• Cookies & Creme: chocolate cake layers studded with chocolate sandwich cookies, filled with crushed cookies, chocolate sauce, and vanilla buttercream. Iced with vanilla buttercream, drizzled with chocolate sauce and garnished with crushed cookies.

• German Chocolate: mild chocolate cake, filled and topped with special recipe coconut pecan filling, and drizzled with chocolate ganache.

• Amaretto: lightly almond flavored cake infused with amaretto, filled and iced with almond buttercream, garnished with toasted sliced almonds.

• Lemon Luscious: lemon cake brushed with lemon syrup, layered with lemon curd, iced with white chocolate buttercream, and edged with white chocolate curls.

• Valencia: chocolate cake with subtle orange flavor, infused with Grand Marnier, and robed with smooth chocolate ganache.

• Orange Blossom: vanilla cake made with a touch of fresh orange juice & orange zest, brushed with orange liqueur, filled and iced with creamy vanilla buttercream.

• Apple Pie Cake: spice cake studded with chunks of fresh apples, layered with apple pie filling, and iced with cinnamon buttercream.

• Toffee Crunch: light caramel cake filled with brown sugar buttercream and toffee chips, garnished with crushed toffee candy.

• Cappuccino Truffle Torte: chocolate cake infused with Kahlua and coffee, truffle filling, robed with chocolate ganache.

• Frangelico: mildly flavored hazelnut cake soaked with hazelnut liqueur, filled with hazelnut chocolate, and iced with chocolate frangelico buttercream.

• Tiramisu Cake: layers of espresso-soaked cake, filled with slightly tangy cream cheese kahlua filling, and iced with sweetened whipped cream. Edged with chocolate curls.

• Raspberry Dreams: layers of delicate white cake, three layers of raspberry filling, iced with white chocolate buttercream and garnished with white chocolate curls.

• Peppermint Patty: dark chocolate cake layers generously filled with creamy mint filling, robed with dark chocolate ganache.

• Almond Joy: chocolate cake layers filled with coconut cream filling, glazed with milk chocolate ganache and sprinkled with toasted almonds.

1. Tiramisu - I order one of these from Eli's (Chicago) and it costs around $60...sadly. But it is out of this world, to die for cake.

2. Raspberry Dreams if local delivery, I'd pay $30 to try it for a party, maybe. Same with third choice.

3. Almond Joy

Sorry, not much help but it was a treat reading all the options.

•Lemon Luscious: lemon cake brushed with lemon syrup, layered with lemon curd, iced with white chocolate buttercream, and edged with white chocolate curls.

•Valencia: chocolate cake with subtle orange flavor, infused with Grand Marnier, and robed with smooth chocolate ganache.

•Almond Joy: chocolate cake layers filled with coconut cream filling, glazed with milk chocolate ganache and sprinkled with toasted almonds.

Oh my word! They all sound heavenly to me, but my top picks would be:

Amaretto, Lemon Luscious, Valencia, Cappuccino Truffle Torte, and Frangelico.

I'd pay $2 per slice for the more basic cakes, probably the lemon one, so $28 or so, and the ones with more and more rich flavors added, $30-35.

• Orange Blossom: vanilla cake made with a touch of fresh orange juice & orange zest, brushed with orange liqueur, filled and iced with creamy vanilla buttercream.

• Toffee Crunch: light caramel cake filled with brown sugar buttercream and toffee chips, garnished with crushed toffee candy.

• Cappuccino Truffle Torte: chocolate cake infused with Kahlua and coffee, truffle filling, robed with chocolate ganache.

These 3, followed closely by the Valencia, and Amaretto. Although, I would add orange flavor to the buttercream on the orange blossom. But I love orange almost as much as I love chocolate. :tongue_smilie: Price, I have no idea, $25-$35? You do realize I now have cravings for all them. :lol:

i can only pick two.. i'm not a big fan of cake :laugh:

black forest & orange blossom ~ black forest is an old childhood fave and the orange blossom sounds like something i might like...

no idea about $ though....

I don't really like cake either. :D

This is just the cake list though. I also have a list of non-cake desserts that has other things like tarts, cobblers, pies, tortes, special desserts like panna cotta, and a long list of cheesecakes.

Wow! My mouth is watering, and I don't particularly care for cake.

• Amaretto: lightly almond flavored cake infused with amaretto, filled and iced with almond buttercream, garnished with toasted sliced almonds.

• Valencia: chocolate cake with subtle orange flavor, infused with Grand Marnier, and robed with smooth chocolate ganache.

• Frangelico: mildly flavored hazelnut cake soaked with hazelnut liqueur, filled with hazelnut chocolate, and iced with chocolate frangelico buttercream.

Could be the alcohol? I have no idea about price as I never buy cakes, but I would think $30 to $35 - maybe more.

I would love to see your list of pies and cobblers. Those are my favorites.

I vote for the Black Forest because if a cake isn't chocolate it's not worth eating in my opinion (and I don't like german chocolate or oreos so that rules out the other 2 chocolate variations).

I have no idea what to sell for because if we need a cake for something, I make it.

Julie: All of your choices sound wonderful. I am including the link to the place where I get our cakes, etc -- they are local for me. My dh freaks out about the price, but he now realizes that everything is SO rich, that tiny slices are about all one can handle. The cupcakes are so large that we have sliced one cupcake to serve four children or three adults.

Hope this helps --

http://www.ediblesincredible.com/

I picked 4 :D

• Tiramisu Cake: layers of espresso-soaked cake, filled with slightly tangy cream cheese kahlua filling, and iced with sweetened whipped cream. Edged with chocolate curls.

About $30 ?

These two:

Cappuccino Truffle Torte: chocolate cake infused with Kahlua and coffee, truffle filling, robed with chocolate ganache.

and the Lemon.

I'd pay about $24. But then I could make them myself, too (although not near as pretty as you would I bet!)

• Lemon Luscious: lemon cake brushed with lemon syrup, layered with lemon curd, iced with white chocolate buttercream, and edged with white chocolate curls.

• Apple Pie Cake: spice cake studded with chunks of fresh apples, layered with apple pie filling, and iced with cinnamon buttercream.

I had the hardest time choosing, but these would be my top four. No idea, price-wise, though.

If you have a moment, would you please look at this list of specialty cakes? In your reply, please put down the top 3 that sound good to you, and what you think the top price is that someone might pay for that cake. All cakes are 14 servings.

• Raspberry Dreams: layers of delicate white cake, three layers of raspberry filling, iced with white chocolate buttercream and garnished with white chocolate curls.

• Peppermint Patty: dark chocolate cake layers generously filled with creamy mint filling, robed with dark chocolate ganache.

Err...I couldn't get it narrowed down smaller than my top 5. The Lemon would definitely be my top choice. Have you thought about adding limoncello to it? YUMMMMM.

I would also pay $30 with no problem, I would probably buy 2 for a party at that price. I know the Cheesecake Factory charges around $50 for their whole cheesecakes, so I would consider that the upper limit of a dessert.

I'm not partial to buttercream, but I'm assuming that yours is better than the stuff in most stores. They sound great! Price, I don't know. For a really special occassion, I might spend $25.

Thank you so much!

• Black forest: dark chocolate cake infused with kirsch, filled with a layer of cherry filling and fudge buttercream, and robed in dark chocolate ganache

I couldn't narrow it down further than this. There are some others that I could get excited about too. Price? Can't help, sorry.

Around here, professionally made cakes sell for at least $35. My friend who charges $55 miniumum makes cakes that stay moist and delicious for nearly a week, and she can decorate it with anything I want if I send her a picture to work from. The bakery that charges $35 makes cakes more along the lines of your list. They're not as big as my friend's cakes, and the decor is simple, but the flavors are rich and elegant. I do have a friend who made a Tinkerbell cake for me for only $30, but it wasn't very good. The cake was dry, and we didn't like the __________ (the fancy stuff used to decorate cakes that was discussed here a few weeks ago).

Toffee Crunch

Almond Joy

Peanut Butter Cup

Price that I would pay? Probably not more than $12, maybe $15. That doesn't mean that others wouldn't pay more. I'm just really bad about thinking that I could make some sort of attempt at it myself for less $$ since we're trying to save everywhere we can. If it was for a special occasion, though, I would pay $25. They sound wonderful!!!!

Julie, you are very cruel to post this...!!

I am trying to lose weight. I have to run 2.75 miles in the morning. The only treats in this beach house are gingerbread cookies from a bag.

You are a cruel, horrible person.

How fast can you get here (gulf coast of FL)? How many cakes could you pack in a carry-on? ;)

If you were my friend IRL, I would weigh 200 lbs. At least.

At this moment, I'd pay nearly any price for:

lemon

raspberry (ETA the one w/ raspberry & chocolate.yummm)

toffee

Hmm. In normal life, what I'd pay would depend entirely on how luscious they were. Anywhere from $25 for a pretty-and-tasty (for all kinds of events) to $45 for scrumptious/heavenly (for very special adult-only or small family parties). More than $45 would be outside any rationale budget for desserts for me.

HTH

Edited by StephanieZ

Every time you post a dessert thread, I gain at least 5 lbs. LOL!

I would pick:

Peanut butter Cup: peanut butter cake with special recipe peanut butter filling and chocolate ganache, frosted with fudge buttercream and drizzled with more chocolate ganache.

Apple Pie Cake: spice cake studded with chunks of fresh apples, layered with apple pie filling, and iced with cinnamon buttercream.

Raspberry Dreams: layers of delicate white cake, three layers of raspberry filling, iced with white chocolate buttercream and garnished with white chocolate curls.

And I will pay you a million dollars if you will bring one of each to my house right now for me to try personally. :D

Seriously, though, I'm thinking $30-40 per cake. How much money does it cost to make one?

And I will pay you a million dollars if you will bring one of each to my house right now for me to try personally. :D

Seriously, though, I'm thinking $30-40 per cake. How much money does it cost to make one?

Only a million, huh? :D

The cost of ingredients varies, but most of them land at about $15 for ingredients (including packaging). Chocolate, butter, and booze are expensive! {Where's the tipsy, drunken, completely satiated smiley when you need it!}

I'm considering $35 each.

Edited by Julie in CA

Only a million, huh? :D

The cost of ingredients varies, but most of them land at about $15 for ingredients. Chocolate, butter, and booze are expensive! {Where's the tipsy, drunken, completely satiated smiley when you need it!}

I'm considering $35 each.

You need to charge at least double what you put into them, for sure. I'm sure it takes a quite a chunk of time to get them done.

You need to charge at least double what you put into them, for sure. I'm sure it takes a quite a chunk of time to get them done.

:iagree: I also wanted to say that they all sound wonderful. I really couldn't pick. Around here though everyone sells a tiramusu and a german chocolate. I would think that making something different would be a way to establish your market, especially if you charge more than most. I personally am more tempted by the lemon, raspberry, and apple cakes. They sound more like pie and I am not much of a cake person.

I also think that $40 or so sounds right. Just a cheap sheet cake at the grocery store costs $30 here. Don't forget to add in the cost of packaging and labeling as well. You will want your name on every box - even if they are stickers printed from your computer the cost will add up.

I would pay $25 or so. These sound wonderful!