Menu

What time does your husband get home from work?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, because he has to take 2 kids to school for early bird classes, he leaves at 6:45 a.m.

He tries to get home by 6 p.m. because I changed the dinner hour. Usually he is here by 7:10 p.m., which is when the Red Sox games usually begin. We used to wait for him, meaning dinner was scheduled for 7:30 or later, but we just can't keep doing that. Everyone is too hungry.

Until school started this year, he worked from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. or later, for the last 21 years. Seven days a week. All holidays except Christmas and Thanksgiving. No vacations. His choice.

He is self-employed. His commute is about 25 minutes each way.

Edited by RoughCollie

My hubby leaves for work by noon during the week and returns between 1am and 6 am. Sat is usually 9 am to 4-6 pm. Luckily he has most Sundays off! This is part of the reason we decided to hs. Hubby was tired of having to wait until the weekend to see the kids.

Edited by LazyDazy

My husband is a teacher, but also works 2 other part-time jobs. He leaves the house at 6:15am. On Mondays and Wednesdays, he works at one part-time job (goes there straight from school) and doesn't get home till 9pm. On Tuesdays, he meets me around 5pm to pick our son up and take him to Cub Scouts. They get home around 8:45pm. On Thursdays, he's usually home between 5 and 6pm. On Fridays, he tutors and isn't home until 6pm. He usually works a 1/2 day on Saturday (9-1 or 11-3, occasionally 9-3).

Leaves home at 6am

45 min. commute

Works from 6:45 until 4pm and will get home around 5pm.

This is during NON-BUSY season.

About 4 months a year he goes in at 6am and gets home anywhere from 7pm-11pm.

He also works Saturdays during busy season.

Dawn

We don't really have a home from work time. DH is self-employed, and his work might take place very early in the morning, during the normal work day, after business hours, and on weekends. We really have no idea when he'll be working until that day, though we can almost always count on him to be home for dinner. Usually his evening work is done from home so he's home but not engaged with us.

My husband "usually" works from 1 PM to 8 PM Tuesday through Thursday, and from 1 PM to 9 PM Saturday and Sunday, in the fall, winter and spring.

In the summer, he extends his day by 1 hour (so til 9 PM Tues-Thurs, and til 10 PM Fri-Sat).

These are only his hours if he's not busy, though. If he has a customer (he's a tattoo artist, by the way) he stays until the work is done. Sometimes, especially in the summer, there can be some very late nights.

I look forward to Sundays and Mondays when he's off and we can all have dinner together!

ETA: This was just ONE of the many reasons I decided to homeschool- now at least the kids get to spend all morning and early afternoon with him, as opposed to him coming home at or after bedtime!

To the OP: what did you think was 'normal'?

:D

My dh leaves around 7 am and gets home usually anytime between 7-8:30. Sometimes later. RARELY, earlier. He has a 45-minute commute. He gets every other Monday off (supposedly).

He frequently gets home just as I'm attempting to get the kids into bed, which of course totally messes things up LOL!

He used to be in the Army. We saw him a WHOOOOOOOOOLE lot more than we see him now. Now he works for the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. The main reason he took this job over private practice (he's a veterinarian) was to have more time with the family. I laugh hysterically at that now. ('Cuz if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.)

:D

My dh leaves around 7 am and gets home usually anytime between 7-8:30. Sometimes later. RARELY, earlier. He has a 45-minute commute. He gets every other Monday off (supposedly).

The main reason he took this job over private practice (he's a veterinarian) was to have more time with the family. I laugh hysterically at that now. ('Cuz if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.)

That would make me weep, too. Does he have off on Sat/Sun at least???

My husband "usually" works from 1 PM to 8 PM Tuesday through Thursday, and from 1 PM to 9 PM Saturday and Sunday, in the fall, winter and spring.

In the summer, he extends his day by 1 hour (so til 9 PM Tues-Thurs, and til 10 PM Fri-Sat).

These are only his hours if he's not busy, though. If he has a customer (he's a tattoo artist, by the way) he stays until the work is done. Sometimes, especially in the summer, there can be some very late nights.

I look forward to Sundays and Mondays when he's off and we can all have dinner together!

ETA: This was just ONE of the many reasons I decided to homeschool- now at least the kids get to spend all morning and early afternoon with him, as opposed to him coming home at or after bedtime!

What does your husband do that allows this schedule? That would work great for us!!

That would make me weep, too. Does he have off on Sat/Sun at least???

For the most part, yes. He is bound to his Blackberry though (has even had to send work e-mails in the middle of Sunday School or the sermon). And if there is some sort of bruhaha going on (he's in management) like personnel issues or a food recall, he may have to work from home some. Occasionally (not often) he'll have to travel on a Sunday. About once or twice a year he has to travel to Hawaii (the poor thing), and he'll be gone over the weekend then. He usually works from his hotel room the whole time on those weekends.

We don't have much of a "lifestyle" to speak of, but I'd gladly give it up to have him around more.

Boy, we really live in an alternate universe. My dh usually gets home from 10p-2a depending on his shift which depends on the time of year. He is an Emergency Physician, BUT he does not go to work until 2p-4P depending on shift so we spend days with him. We have gotten used to this over the last 13 years of home schooling. My kids enjoy when he is at home, and we eat big breakfasts and lunches together with left overs usually for dinner: ) Then there are days when he is completely off, and they are not usually weekends!

ReneeR

A friend of mine and I have been discussing this recently, and we are beginning to suspect that what is "normal" isn't actually normal and that we live in some sort of alternate universe. LOL

So what time does your husband get home from work?

Hmmmm... Well, it has to be somewhere between expectation - by 4:00PM and reality - before 8PM.

I'd be thrilled if he was home before 6PM every night.

And, btw, he heads to work usually between 4:30-5:30 at the latest. Yes, that's right, he generally works at least 12 hour days which might be fun sometimes if he wasn't salary.

My husband's hours depend on the event he is photographing on any given day.

We have a small, family photography business for which our biggest clients are the local NFL team, and the MLS team. My husband has office and studio space at the team headquarters, so he spends quite a bit of time there. On non-game days he is usually there from 8am until 4pm. Our printers are in our home office, so he spends the late afternoon and evening hours here as we work together on print production.

Football season means he travels almost every other weekend. He usually leaves on Friday and returns Sunday night or in the wee hours of Monday morning. On home-game days he heads to the stadium around 8am for a 1pm game. He usually gets home by 8pm. If it was a win, we work together until midnight or so. Player apperances and community service events are usually during the daytime hours, but players' personal events (bowling tournaments and such) keep him out until 11pm or so.

The soccer team has been playing in an international tournament recently, so they have been taking my husband to places like Honduras, El Salvador and, this week, Mexico. He only occasionally travels for regular season MLS matches in other cities. Home matches are at different times during the day. Weekday matches are often at 7pm and he's usually home before 1am the following morning.

Weekend noon-time matches feel so easy in comparison. We can count on having him home for dinner on those days.

In-between seasons we photograph and print on site at golf tournaments, corporate events and holiday parties. We have always taken our boy along to these events. They used to sit and do their school work or read a book, but now they're old enough that they work along side us. Some of those events are quick (2-3 hours) and others last all day or well into the night.

Simply put, my husband is hard to keep up with. Even given what I know and shared about his hours, something changes at least every week. He has recently been in the habit of keeping his Google Calendar up to date and it makes me so happy.:)

Edited by Crissy

We live in No VA and DH commutes to DC. He leaves to catch a train into DC sometime between 6 am and 7 am and gets home usually at 7:30 pm. He has clients on the West Coast so often needs to be in the office the later part of the day and gets his quiet time at the office in the morning.

Dh leaves home by 7:30 a.m. and gets home around 7:30 p.m. He usually manages to make it to Wednesday service at church at 6 p.m., and sometimes even manages being home by that time on non-church days. However, he also has many nights that he isn't home until 9 o'clock or later, especially in the winter. (He sells coffee, and business picks up when it's cold.) Of course, things like loading the truck, bad weather, traffic, machinery breaking, etc. can throw off his schedule. He's also on call every 3rd weekend (for his region), and holidays (for his own route).

He could leave a little sooner and get home a little sooner, but he lingers in the morning to help me with ds17 getting on the bus. His job does allow flexibility, which has been very important for us. Even though we may pay the price by dh having to work later, he can leave in the middle of the day to attend meetings for ds or to go to appointments, etc.

He's in route sales, and if his route area were closer, he could manage being home much sooner. As things are now, he usually drives an hour before he hits his first account.

I'm feeling better after reading the other replies, because I'm realizing that at least we're not alone in his 12+ hour days.

Wow... i had no idea most husbands worked so late!

Mine does the 7-3:30, home by 4.

It's been way worse for us, him being home for dinner started with his present job. It used to be a one hour one way commute with 10 to 12 hour days, plus an hour for lunch. IOW, he was gone at least 13 hours a day.

I feel blessed to have him seeing the kids while there's still some daylight :lol:

Sunday - 5:30am - 9:00pm

Monday - 9:00am - 8:15pm

Tuesday - 9:00am - 5:00pm

Wednesday - 9:00am - 8:45pm

Thursday - 9:00am - 5:00pm

Friday - 12:00pm - 3:30pm (supposed to be his day off)

Saturday - day off (with occasional funerals, weddings, rehearsals, etc about 1-2 times a month)

Dh is on church staff... hence the Sunday work day. Sometimes he stops in for part of the day on Wednesday for an early (3pm) dinner or we do lunch on Sunday after church... and he teaches "elective" classes to our kids from 8-9am M-Th and Co-op Chess Club Friday from 9-12pm before heading up to church for a few hours. He is flexible so some days he may stay at home until 10-11am and work from home so that I can take one of the kids to the doctor or something.... so it is not as bad as it looks. I'm happy for Tue/Thur. family dinners and that he is available those nights to help with soccer practice since our dd practices in a different part of town than the boys that night.

Some days he takes our dd to work with him for the day and I send her work along. She loves being at church, and especially visiting the hospitals and going to meetings :) I love that he is so flexible that he can be around when I need him.

Edited by babysparkler