Menu

s/o abnormal eating habits: restaurants/carryout...

Thinking about how my family's eating habits compare to other people's made me wonder about restaurant meals.

I have friends who seem to eat out more often than not. I don't know how they afford it!

How often does your family eat at a restaurant, bring home carryout or have a meal delivered?

We treat ourselves to exactly one restaurant meal a payday (twice a month). Usually it's something brought home to eat, like Firehouse Subs, McDonald's or Chick-fil-a. Last payday we ordered Papa John's pizza delivery, and that was a really rare treat. We maybe do that three times a year.

I can't remember the last time we went to an actual sit-down restaurant. I can't enjoy a meal out for all of us when I think about how many groceries that $50-60 would buy!

Anyhow, just curious about your restaurant habits.

We very rarely eat out - occaisional drive through for someone who missed dinner or had a sports practice. Costco pizza once a month maybe. That is it. I can't remember the last restaraunt I even went to.

We have friends who don't have any food in the house. They eat out all the time. In fact, if we eat out it is because they invited us. They go to the store whenever they want to cook something. They are like those people on the government preparedness commercials we hear on the radio around here - they could share the dogs food if they got snowed in :tongue_smilie:

It varies. Sometimes we eat out or get take-out once or twice a week, sometimes once every couple weeks.

Our take-out foods are usually pizza, Thai food, or Cheesecake Factory curbside pick-up.

We have a few favorite local restaurants that we frequent as well.

Occasionally (less often than we used to) we get dressed up and head out to one of the "fine dining" restaurants that we enjoy.

Normally, very very rarely. I think we went 2 years without eating out or getting carry out. But during my most recent pregnancy and the first few weeks after the baby was born, we made up for that two years, eating out or getting a pizza about twice a month.

I also think about how many groceries the cost of dinner out could pay for. And since I like to cook and we eat very healthy generally, if I'm going to eat out I prefer it to be something I just can't or don't know how to make myself.

We eat out about once a week. We alternate between Chipotle, Jason's Deli, Panera Bread and Whole Foods. This weekend is a treat though. We are going to The Cheesecake Factory to celebrate Father's Day and my birthday - we only do that about 3 times a year. We are a family of four and only my younger dd eats off the kids menu anymore. The only time it costs us more than $30 is at The Cheesecake Factory so I don't feel it's that big of a deal. I like knowing one night every week I don't have to cook.:)

Sadly, we eat out a LOT. I would say anywhere from 3 times a week to twice a day (depending on the week, activities, etc). Usually it is a trip through the McD's drive-thru or into the local Mexican restaurant for something small. Every Sunday after church, we eat with friends. Sometimes on Saturday, we all eat out together (my family). Sometimes it is breakfast and then also lunch..other times, not at all. It is a really sad habit since the food quality is often so poor. We try to pick decent things, but that doesn't always happen (take places like McD's for instance where there really is nothing decent!).

That said, we also have a pantry full of food and enough stored to last at least a year. We grow food in our garden and can/freeze foods too.

Dh and I really like to eat at nice places. Twice a year, we make a trip to Banner Elk, NC and have dinner alone at the Lousiana Purchase. We never spend less than $150 on dinner for the two of us, but it is such wonderful food and such an amazing atmosphere, it is well worth the money (IMO).

Edited by Tree House Academy

When our dc were young and at home, we hardly ever ate out, other than ocassional lunch at a fast-food restaurant while on a field trip, or fish and chips at Highland games. :-)

Now that it's just Mr. Ellie and me, I don't cook on weekends. Sometimes during the week I'll get a Papa Murphy's pizza, but never more than once a month, and not usually even that often.

We eat out quite a bit. Usually, one weekday for lunch, when we're out and about. Sunday lunch after church. And usually one dinner. Those are family meals. At least once a month, if not twice, I go to some Mom's Night Out for some social time. The weekday lunch is usually fast food (Chic-fil-A, Backyard Burgers or some sub shop). Sunday lunch is almost always Chinese or Mexican. Dinner varies but is never fast food. We budget for it, so there is no guilt. It's not part of the grocery budget, it has it's own line in the budget.

We have food and chemical intolerances and only have, at least at this point in time, two places where we can get "take-out": Whole Foods and Chipotle Grill. We maybe go out 2x a month ... it gets too repetitive and too expensive.

We have food intolerances too. Every Sunday, we go to Taco Del Mar after church. Once a month, DH and I go to Outback Steakhouse (they have a nice gluten free menu). I cook the rest of the time.

Maybe twice a month......maybe. And that's usually a pizza, BarBQ, or Subway.

We don't eat fast food but I know people who spend 25 dollars going through drive-thru McDonalds. Crazy stuff (versus something that takes 10 minutes like throwing spaghetti in a pot and adding sauce for 5 dollars). To be honest though I stopped eating fast food in high school when classmates who worked at BK and Wendy's told me about workers being ummm... unsanitary.....with the food. (((shivers)))

Usually only once a week we go to a restaurant. We try to only grab fast food if we will be traveling or something....we don't really care for fast food (and it is not healthy either). The places we go are usually Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, or Cracker Barrel. Occasionally something may happen where we go out twice a week, such as last week when my aunt had a birthday and we all met at Longhorn, then we also went out on the weekend, just our family. But that doesn't happen often.

I do enjoy our one night a week dinner though....I look forward to it.

We eat pretty healthy at home, so I don't mind if we have junk out sometimes.

Dc and I have lunch out about once a week, often with friends.

As a family, we have food from "outside" (takeout, restaurant, drive thru, event, dinner at friends', etc.) about once every week. Sometimes it's dinner, sometimes a snack. We do ice cream as a family or with friends or family once or twice a month.

Dh and I go out to talk over snacks (appetizers, pie, burgers, whatever) two to three times a month, too. During the school year, my small man and I have snacks at Panera while the girls are in ballet. :001_smile:

It depends on how chaotic life is. If things are running smoothly, we can go several weeks without eating out once. If things are chaotic, we're likely to go out several days in a row simply because I haven't had time to buy groceries, wash dishes, or clean.

We don't eat out much anymore at all, both for financial and health (dd15's multiple food allergies) reasons.

I prefer to "save up" that budget line item for eating out on vacation. Dd can eat well and without worry when we go to WDW. Other vacations, I have to do a lot more planning which can be stressful...

I can't imagine eating out ONLY once a week! LOL!

When we lived in Okinawa we probably ate out 4 times a week for dinner. Sometimes sitdown, sometimes food court. We (the kiddo and me) often went out for lunch while we were there as well.

When we got back stateside, we were eating out all the time. Maybe still 3-4 times a week. Usually sit down, sometimes pizza. For the three of us it usually averages out to only between $30 - $50 a meal.

Now that the weather is nicer, and I'm using the grill, and the kiddo wants to play we don't eat out as much.

I hate going out to eat with my FIL. He always picks restuarants with small menus, and there is never a whole lot I'm really loving. I do get annoyed with paying $20-$25 for a meal for me that wasn't really what I wanted, but the best I could do with the limited menu. Sort of a lesser of all evils type thing.

When we are super busy, we do Wegman's and Whole Foods - they have 'meals' (different selections every day), main dish and two sides - it will easily feed two adults - cost is $6.00 (higher for fish). On days when we have been running all over the place, it is a great solution.

We have not done a drive thru or any of the fast food places in probably close to two years - it was difficult at first, but we had made a decision we were going to stop doing it, and we did.

We have meat, dairy, bread products, and produce delivered to the house every week from local farms and if I need other stuff, I have a number of places around here that I can use. We've really embraced the 'eat healthy' challenge which made us change our habits AND the way we think about eating.....so drive-throughs and that kind of food is gone.

Wegman's and WF have pizza and the kids love it so that is a once a week thing.

Honestly, we became SO tired of eating out and take out when we were without a kitchen and when we were living in the hotel, that I am enjoying cooking (and the new appliances don't hurt, either ;)).

Thinking about how my family's eating habits compare to other people's made me wonder about restaurant meals.

I have friends who seem to eat out more often than not. I don't know how they afford it!

How often does your family eat at a restaurant, bring home carryout or have a meal delivered?

We treat ourselves to exactly one restaurant meal a payday (twice a month). Usually it's something brought home to eat, like Firehouse Subs, McDonald's or Chick-fil-a. Last payday we ordered Papa John's pizza delivery, and that was a really rare treat. We maybe do that three times a year.

I can't remember the last time we went to an actual sit-down restaurant. I can't enjoy a meal out for all of us when I think about how many groceries that $50-60 would buy!

We go out maybe once or twice a year. Carryout varies depending on how busy we are. We might get pizza once a week or biweekly or not for a month or so.

I suspect it will be a little more for the next couple of weeks as I'm wearing myself out regularly and losing track of time while replanking our deck and dealing with other outdoor projects. DH is working 12 hr shifts during the week and 8 hrs on weekends.

I'm off to get a few more boards down right now before it gets too hot. :smash: (I finally get to use this guy! Too bad there's no smiley with a screw gun. :001_smile:)

We go out maybe once or twice a year. Carryout varies depending on how busy we are. We might get pizza once a week or biweekly or not for a month or so.

I suspect it will be a little more for the next couple of weeks as I'm wearing myself out regularly and losing track of time while replanking our deck and dealing with other outdoor projects. DH is working 12 hr shifts during the week and 8 hrs on weekends.

I'm off to get a few more boards down right now before it gets too hot. :smash: (I finally get to use this guy! Too bad there's no smiley with a screw gun. :001_smile:)

How 'bout one of these:

wolverinefiring.jpgistockphoto_6894593-man-using-screw-gun.jpga_man_holding_a_drill_or_screw_gun_royalty_free_080807-148670-972018.jpgtsg_smiley_gun.gif

As a family we buy premade food about once a week. It is mostly Subway sandwiches ordered as take out or Little Caesars brough home. The kids like it when their friends are over and they want something quick before they run off.

It is a rare occassion to have pizza delivered. I make great homemade pizza and my family prefers my cooking to delivery. (Wow - that makes me feel good!)

We rarely go to a sit down restaurant. If/when we do it is usually on Mother's Day, Father's Day or a special occassion. Even then we dine inexpensively - maybe $30-40 for the four of us. We rarely order appetizers or dessert. We usually order water, never alcohol. A 'special' restaurant for us would be Olive Garden or Buffalo Wild Wings.

As a family, we usually eat out once/wk on the weekends . . . maybe twice if we go out after mass. This is primarily a fault of my planning more than a result of planning to eat out. I generally plan the menu for Sunday - Thursday and left-overs on Friday. I shop on Saturday. Often, I don't feel like cooking after the shopping or we don't have any left overs. Sometimes I plan homemade pizza for Fridays but then after a long Friday (and they can be really long here) I'm too wiped to make it. So, generally one of those happens and we eat out.

My daughter and I often eat out once/wk for lunch. During the summer less so but during the school year, we don't often miss b/c we like to have school out. On those days we almost always eat at Panera but we've discussed trying a new coffee shop each week next year (got that idea on these boards somewhere).

I am exactly like you. My friends complain they have no money but they eat out 5-6 nights a week, plus 4-5 lunches and even a few breakfasts. :001_huh: We also only eat out once a pay period and its usually Chinese because I dont cook that type of food.

I ahve no desire to eat out more than that. I have been losing weight and eating mostly organic for about a year now and I cant imagne eating all the crap at restaurants!

As a family we eat out 1x/wk and that's at McAllisters where the kids--all 4 of them!--eat free. The cost of DH and my food is less expensive than cooking at home for that night.

We order pizza once every 3-4 months or so.

Now Sonic's Happy Hour is a whole other issue. 1/2 price Cherry Dr Peppers and other drinks for the kiddos... :thumbup:

My dh eats out for lunch every day at work. He used to take his lunch (like he had for all the years before we moved here when he took lunch 4x/week and ate out 1x/week), but he found that he never actually got to eat his lunch when he took it with him. People would hunt him down with questions and then his food would get cold. He'd reheat it and somebody else would find him. Then he'd reheat it again and somebody else would find him. He finally decided that he had to actually leave in order to be able to eat, so that's what he's done ever since we moved here.

We get pizza for dinner 1x/month. That costs about $30, but feeds all of us for that one meal and then everybody except my dh snacks on the leftovers for the next day or two (dh won't eat pizza cold or reheated).

Aside from when we're on a roadtrip and stop for fast food on the way to where we're going, we eat out as a family maybe 4-6x/year.

Dh and I go see a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse (serves dinner) maybe 2-3x/year.

DH eats out maybe 3 times a week. I probably eat out about once or twice a week. More when we did more classes out of the house, but that is not happening much now.

Dh has no trouble taking us out for a meal every now and then, and/or hot chocolates, even though the bill may reach close to $100 for the whole evenind for the 4 of us. Its an ocasional treat. He will often take one child out for lunch while he runs errands with them, too.

Its just part of our lifestlye, and we do it because we can and we enjoy it. We dont eat junk food though- it's normally good food, like an Indian or Sushi bar restaurant. You do pay more for good food but I would rather make my own food than eat McDonalds or the equivalent.

We usually eat out or get take out on the weekends. I think our options are better here -- I can get Indian takeout for the whole family (5 people) for around US$15, and enough left over for lunch or dinner the next day. Similarly if we get shwarma (like gyros) and some hummus from a nearby takeout shop.

It's generally only when we go to a chain restaurant -- like McDonalds, or Chilis -- that we end up spending 4-5 times that.

We probably get fast food once a week and maybe take-out or a sit-down dinner once a week. So twice a week total. And that number is way down from where it used to be. My organic food kick is helping somewhat because now I just make the decadent meals with organic ingredients instead of buying them from a restaurant.

We eat out maybe once a month. Probably a bit less than that. We tend to stop someplace like Panera at lunchtime on an errand day or get taken out to a family style chain restaurant by my in-laws. When DH and I see an independent or fun ethnic restaurant we usually try it out, but that doesn't happen too often. I went from being able to have small quantities of wheat to not tolerating it at all several months ago, and now I would rather just eat at home. It's simpler and I don't have to worry about servers making mistakes.

For the three of us it usually averages out to only between $30 - $50 a meal.

Firstly, that is cheap - main courses (apart from fast/nasty food) don't exist for less than about ten pounds a person here, so that would be USD44 before drinks/tip for three people.

Secondly, that still sounds like a lot of money. Home cooked meals (good ingredients) cost me around ten to fifteen pounds for four. Other things here are very expensive (filling up my car costs forty to fifty pounds) so I can't imagine spending that amount on meals.

Laura

How 'bout one of these:

wolverinefiring.jpgistockphoto_6894593-man-using-screw-gun.jpga_man_holding_a_drill_or_screw_gun_royalty_free_080807-148670-972018.jpgtsg_smiley_gun.gif

The guy second from the left looks very handy! I keep losing my pencil and he has his own. ;)

Darla - who is rather sunburned and taking a break until later...

ETA: At least I should have some muscles by the end of summer, possibly a little tan (doubt it) and if I'm not careful, a new kitchen window. (It's tough watching both ends of a 12' plank at the same time. I already took out the rain gauge. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by darlasowders

We very rarely eat out - occaisional drive through for someone who missed dinner or had a sports practice. Costco pizza once a month maybe. That is it. I can't remember the last restaraunt I even went to.

We have friends who don't have any food in the house. They eat out all the time. In fact, if we eat out it is because they invited us. They go to the store whenever they want to cook something. They are like those people on the government preparedness commercials we hear on the radio around here - they could share the dogs food if they got snowed in :tongue_smilie:

We simply cannot afford it. I end up cooking at home and my son loves homemade pizza better than take out! ;) We also have a special diet due to our liver disease that makes eating out a hassle.

I have friends who eat out all of the time -- and I cannot comprehend it. They end up taking home leftovers only to dump it. (In my house, that is unheard of -- we have no choice but to eat leftovers. :D) One friend has a hubby who will refuse to eat leftovers and insists on eating out. (She is not a good cook.) I know they have no money.

I have another friend who claims it is CHEAPER to eat out than cook at home. :confused: (Yup, that comment floored me.) For the price of a fast food meal, you can buy a nice steak or vittles at the store to feed a boatload.

Dh and I eat out lunch once a week for a date. It's much cheaper than dinner. We also take our kids out periodically to different ethnic foods and we also cook these at home. We bring take out chinese or japanese home for special occasions, too. No we don't eat out a ton, but more than we probably should now that I look at my checkbook.

We probably have some type of fast food once a week, usually on the weekends when pressed for time and no one wants to cook. I'd like to do away with even having fast food that often.

As far as sit down restaurants, maybe once every couple of months (if that). We recently got gift certificates from dh's boss for 2 different restaurants and then another one for a different restaurant from a business associate, and haven't even used them yet (and they're places we would enjoy going).

Firstly, that is cheap - main courses (apart from fast/nasty food) don't exist for less than about ten pounds a person here, so that would be USD44 before drinks/tip for three people.

Secondly, that still sounds like a lot of money. Home cooked meals (good ingredients) cost me around ten to fifteen pounds for four. Other things here are very expensive (filling up my car costs forty to fifty pounds) so I can't imagine spending that amount on meals.

Laura

Well, in Okinawa, it was cheaper to eat out, and their produce was better than what we could get on base. So we ate out. A lot.

Yes it would be cheaper to eat home, but we enjoy eating out, and at only $30- $50 a meal, it's just not that much around here. I guess it would fall under 'entertainment' around here.