Menu

What was your first car?

1961 GMC pickup. Sky blue fleetside (not a stepside) (or a "hay bed" as they said in Kansas, not a "grain bed"). It was 17 years old and I did a lot of work on it. Three on the tree, with a small bore and a long stroke, so it wasn't sporty, but it pulled and braked the same whether it was empty or fully loaded.

Ahhhh Fond memories. A 1967 dark green Ford Falcon 4 door with a 289 under the hood. *LOVED* that car! :001_wub:

I used to change the oil, change the brakes and the spark plugs. I was a regular (almost) mechanic for that car!

I miss it! :crying:

1986 Pontiac Grand Am, purchased in 1996.

My mother was convinced that it was a piece of junk, but it survived road trip after road trip without leaving us stranded anywhere. Well, it did until it died about 18 months later. My mechanic didn't even try to con me into attempting a repair!

1976 Maverick ! I rolled it two weeks before I got the title, it was a total loss. The wreck was not my fault though.

I had a Maverick too. I'm sure it was mid to late 60s model though as I got my driver's license in 1978 (yeah, I'm old) and it had been around the block a few times by the time I got it. But, it lasted a long, long time.

Laura

1985 Chevy Cavalier. . .

Me too, mine was blue. It was a really good car for me when I was in college. I traded up to an Accord in the mid 90s but we kept the Cavalier until 2000 as an extra 3rd car.

Oh boy, my first car was a 1983 Peugot four-door sedan. It was actually dh's car because my parents never purchased a car for me and as I spent my entire high school life practicing the piano four hours per day during the week and six on Saturdays, a job that would pay for a car was out of the question.

So, I got married and that is what dh was driving. FIL had a thing for these little French cars and I have to admit. The Peugots were the best handling, best engineered small cars we have ever owned. Oh, and they had seat warmers which were DIVINE in the winter.

Faith

A white 1972 Honda Civic 2 door hatchback(it was older than me:D). I think it cost $ 400. It had all kinds of strange quirks , the best being, the speed of the tape player speeding up with the speed I was driving:lol: The clutch cable(who knew there was such a thing?) broke on me once while I was parking and I jerked along trying to figure out what was wrong until the engine finally died:lol:

1989 Ford Probe GT. I got it in 1998. I LOOOOOVED that car. It was red, had the sunroof, standard transmission, and a 'turbo' engine. I could make that sucker DRIVE. It was the go-to car for all my friends, too, because I loved driving everyone around and all my friends had classic cars that their parents freaked out about because they didn't want them getting into wrecks (and they were hard to park). I miss all those cars...

1980 bright orange Ford Mustang hatchback.

I felt like a rolling pumpkin! It had almost no power. When I pressed on the gas, the car said "You want me to do what??"

But, I didn't pay for it so I loved it!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I got my older brother's car that my parents had bought him two years prior. He went off to college and didn't want to take it. It was a cherry red Honda Civic. I eventually traded it in.

1978 Chevy "shove it" aka Chevette.

Shortly after my stepdad fixed the tranny and got it going for me it developed a horrible knock in the engine and I was lucky to get it up to 55mph. Top speed going uphill was 35mph if you prayed really hard the whole time. :lol:

Had some fun times in it though.