Menu

PJ's to school

Who let's their kids wear PJ's to school and who is strict in making sure everyone is dressed before school starts?? Just a curiosity question...mostly. Don't know which camp I land in yet.

I'm not a stickler on getting dressed before school starts, but my kids almost always get dressed right upon waking. I'm usually the one still in my pajamas until lunchtime :). Or longer.

I think it's a good social skill to be dressed instead of hanging out in jammies (an ocassional jammie day is a treat). So, yes, unless we were having a jammie day, or one of us was sick with the Martian death flu, we were dressed by breakfast (or shortly thereafter).

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Ha! I was just thinking about asking this question yesterday! I thought I didn't care if the kids did school in their pjs but it's starting to bug me. I think that's mostly because the boys sleep in boxers and dd doesn't see any need to brush her hair unless/until she gets dressed. So there I'll be, sitting across from a wild-haired girl in a nightgown and two boys basically in their undies. I started making them get dressed for school (and even then DS will try a swimsuit or a Darth Vader costume--the first is a no-go, the second I allow) but now when school is over, I turn around and the boys have taken off their clothes again. :confused: On the bright side, dd keeps her clothes on and her hair has never looked better. :lol:

Long story short...I'm thinking wearing clothes all day should be the new gold standard.

I only have one at home right now, and she's a teen. She takes the initiative if she wants to get dressed for school. Usually at some point mid-morning, after we've done a couple subjects, she runs upstairs and gets dressed, brushes her teeth, etc.

Me OTOH...I'm a poor example. I'm embarrassed to admit that I usually don't get dressed until after lunch. :001_huh:

I tend to hit the ground running. I hate taking time to shower and get dressed first thing in the morning when I know we need to get school started, dishes and laundry done, etc. So, I wait until later when there is a lull in my day.

That was Rule No. 1 when we started homeschooling: everyone has to be fully dressed, combed and downstairs in the school room by 8 AM. We are in our third year of homeschooling, and it is still a rule. Pajamas are for sleepin', not schoolin'. In all honesty, the thought of running around in jammies during the daytime creeps me out. Which reminds me: I was rear-ended once by a grown woman who was only wearing pajamas. So if you're prone to wearing jammies well into the day, for heaven's sake, draw the line and put on some clothes before you get in your car!

Terri

If we're not planning on going anywhere, we usually stay in pj's all day. Otherwise we get dressed shortly before leaving, or if they want to go and play outside. DS will put clothes on even if he's just getting the mail or taking out the trash. He doesn't want anyone to see his pj's. :D

Well, during homeschooling, I would indeed let my kids do school in their PJ's and I would be in my PJ's as well. But at Public School, they only wear their PJ's when its PJ day. I would always say that that was one of the best things about Homeschooling: I could stay in my PJ's lol.

The first thing I do each morning is shower. I roll out of bed, head straight to the bathroom while my husband wakes the children. They then do their chores and get dressed. I come out of the bathroom, make my bed, and go to the kitchen to start cooking breakfast. So, we are all dressed each day by 6:30 am - unless we are sick.

I like the kids to be dressed, teeth brushed and hair brushed before school starts. It's almost impossible to get a shirt on my son at home, and that's fine. But since he sleeps in boxers, getting dressed is necessary.

My daughter often looks like the wild girl of the forest with her messy hair, so I like that brushed. They seem to be a bit more focused when they are dressed. Pajamas seem to set a too casual tone that doesn't work for learning for my kids.

I'm even fine with knights, Jedi's, pirates, fairies and princesses coming to school. Just no pajamas.

I know we could probably school in our pjs but the house is cold in the winter and its either dressed or wrapped in a blanket. I am the one most often still in sweat pants at noon but usually when i was up earlier trying to tweek schedules or catch up on lesson plans.

My dh believes that children who are dressed are in school and those in pjs are sick. He comes through several times a day ( self employed) so we like to be complimented on working.

We even have regular school clothes as opposed to play clothes.

Most days, The Student is dressed and The Teacher is in her PJs. I typically shower while she is doing something on her own. The little one likes to stay in her pjs until she is figures out what kind of day she is going to have. The Student likes to run a mile while The Teacher drinks her coffee. I would love to have been up and run and showered and dressed before school, but I'm not. I work shift work on the weekends and The Reality is that I cannot be both a night person and a morning person.

I think it's a good social skill to be dressed instead of hanging out in jammies (an ocassional jammie day is a treat). So, yes, unless we were having a jammie day, or one of us was sick with the Martian death flu, we were dressed by breakfast (or shortly thereafter).

This sums up our stance. Staying in pjs just doesn't get our day started well. ~shrug~

We may be found in pj's on Mondays because we are usually out of clean clothing by then. As loads of laundry are done, people run off to get dressed. If I waited until they could all get dressed then school would not get done. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they dress in their gym clothes as we go to gym class right after lunch. Fridays we have an 8AM violin class, so we find it's best to get dressed even though the violin teacher may or may not be in street clothes (lessons are at his house).

I'm not willing to spend my weekend on laundry just so we can properly dressed on Monday mornings. Not worth it to me.

My children get dressed after breakfast as part of their morning routine. Not because of school, per se, but because we so often have somewhere to go in the afternoons. It's easier to get out the door if everyone is already dressed. Otherwise I wouldn't much care.

But...

I consider it a banner day if they have shirts on.

What she said.

I don't know what the deal is with the missing shirts.

Cat

I get dressed, do my hair, and wear a little eye makeup every day. The kids stay in jammies until we have to go out (if we do.)

If I don't dress completely, I just can't seem to get going. I have no idea why. I guess all those years working in corporate America.

Jammies vs regular clothes don't seem to affect the kids.

My son usually gets dressed. In warm weather my dd usually comes to school in nothing but underwear.

In my on home, I don't see how dressing, wearing pj's, wearing a uniform, or being in underwear impacts the learning environment. However, I am a fan of uniforms for public schools because they have a completely different dynamic going on.

I do, however, make my dd brush her hair and pull it out of her face so I don't feel like I am teaching Medusa.

Tara

When my kids were younger we had more pj days. Now everyone gets dressed. It's the only way to make sure they have washed their faces (some fight acne), change their underwear, put on deodorant. and brush their teeth. Plus it makes going places much easier. :)

We wear our pajamas.:) It's so nice to cuddle on the couch and read and be comfy. IMO it's one of the perks of homeschooling.;) Our pajamas are really cute ones, so that helps!:D We do get dressed before leaving the house, though......absolutely NO grocery shopping or library trips until we're all dressed in "real" clothes.

We just go with the flow. Sometimes they dress sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are in lounge clothes sometimes it's real clothes. I don't mind if they are in their jammies it has no impact on the work they do so it doesn't bother me.

Now I did bust out laughing the other day because it's been it a bit chilly here and we had a weird warm day midweek. That day my 4 year old had dressed himself but then just as I was finishing up with the older 2 kids he asked to do some school. I said "ok buddy let's get your book" he responded with "Ok mom, but it's too hot, I need to change to underwear boy first" and he proceeded to strip down to his Wall-E briefs, got out his Bigger Steps workbook and was ready to go.:lol:

we get dressed in a big hurry when the doorbell rings

It's 4:20, and at this very moment, I'm trying to remember if I'm expecting a package today. I'm also trying to remember where I put my pants.

We only get dressed if we're going somewhere, or if I remember we're getting a package. If I can't find my bra, well hopefully I've made the UPS guy's day. My only rules are teeth brushed, face washed, and deodorant. Hair I'm not too concerned about.

Structure and routine help keep us on track.

Before they come down, my dc dress and make their beds.

Chores before breakfast

Order in general is established first thing.

I think it helps us with school days to be dressed for "work" so to speak. I find it to be a mind-set sort of thing.

Wearing pj's is allowed on weekends, holidays and sick days only.

In a way, wearing pj's makes those days special because they are out of the ordinary.

Getting dressed is part of our before breakfast routine. The kids have some time in the a.m. to watch a bit of t.v. or a video and then it is "Get dressed, make your bed, put undies in the hamper and pick up any tissues time." That is also my cue to hop in the shower, make my bed and get dressed. If I miss my opportunity to hop in the shower (because of a phone call or whatever) then I don't get to shower and dress until our morning recess. I figure at that point it is more important to keep the breakfast, chore and beginning school routines going.