Menu

What are you currently reading?

I recently finished:

Jacquelyn Mitchard's sequel to Deep End of the Ocean called No Time to Wave Goodbye. It wasn't that good. Seems like it was rushed or thrown together just to wrap up what happened to the characters.

John Hart's The Last Child -- great mystery book, set in NC, about a boy whose sister disappears.

Rereading A Breath of Snow & Ashes by Gabaldon in preparation for reading Echo in the Bone.

ETA: I finished a series of mysteries/crime novels by Kate Atkinson. Case Histories, One Good Turn, When WIll THere be Good News. Great books, read in order.

Edited by unsinkable

All Quiet on the Western Front.

Just finished SWB's Though the Darkness Hide Thee and Rosemond's Teen-Proofing.

Next up are Animal Farm and The Metamorphosis.

I have had a hankering to reread Kafka of late. "The Metamorphosis" and 'The Trial' are two long ago favorites.

I'm savoring 'My Life in France' by Julia Child. Loving it. I've also just started 'The Power of Less' by Leo Babauta.

I could use some lighthearted and engrossing fiction suggestions. Nothing much is grabbing me.

Just finished:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (heartbreaking & horrifying, unusual, yet lovely & wonderful)

The Alchemist (so-so; not really my cup of tea)

Just starting:

The Help

Marco Polo: from Venice to Xanadu

On my library waiting list:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Shadow of the Wind

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Just finished Twenties Girl (Sophie Kinsella) and The Good Earth (Buck).

Working my way through The Captain's Verses, by Pablo Neruda.

Next on my list is Love in the Time of Cholera, but I am sooo tempted to read The Time Traveler's Wife again... :D

BTW, I loved Water for Elephants. Did you read the author's note at the end? Very interesting :)

I just finished The Bookseller of Kabul - it was depressing as all get, but a very good read.

Currently I'm reading Reading the Bible Again for the First Time by Marcus Borg. I love his books.

And Eat Pray Love - I never read it when it first came out, but picked it up for free at the library this summer and finally got around to reading it. After The Bookseller of Kabul, it is just what I needed to read. ;)

I'm on the wait list at the library (8th in line) for Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer - I really enjoy his books and this one looks really good.

I am reading Alexander McCall Smith's The Lost Art of Gratitude.

He is the author of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agencies books and this is one from his series set in Edinburgh.

Other things I have out and will be reading is a whole slew of mysteries involving gardens. (I love gardens and gardening and love mysteries).

I do miss being in a book club and am thinking of starting one up here.

While we were on vacation, I read a couple Agatha Christies, The Hummingbird's Daughter, B!tch Creek (a mystery set in the Maine woods), another novel whose name escapes me, and Angels and Demons.

Now that I'm home in my real life: Medical Herbalism, and Traditional Chinese Medicine Diagnosis Study Guide.

Gripping.:bored:

BUT! Audrey Niffenegger's new book, Her Fearful Symmetry, came out yesterday, so I might start stalking that.

All Sharon Kay Penman, all the time. I finished the Henry II and Eleanor trilogy (though she's working on a fourth, with Richard) a couple weeks ago and am now finishing The Sunne in Splendour (Richard III). Here Be Dragons, the first book of her Wales trilogy is in the wings.

Not sure of your reading tastes but my current reads are...

Almost finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Really good, highly recommend it.

Recently started Possession by AS Byatt. Not what I expected, mostly good, boring in parts.

Halfway through audio version of Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I... uuhhh.... don't recommend it. I'm reading the series because a friend and my dd have asked me to. I think they regret it now after hearing all my complaints about the writing. :001_huh:

I am reading The Girl Who Played with Fire, by Stieg Larsson.

It is the follow-up to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

I read about 40 pages of this & found I couldn't get into it. Should I give it another try? How long into the book before it gets good?

I am reading the Mathew Bartholomew Chronicles by Susanna Gregory. They are a medieval mystery series of about 15 books (I'm on book 10). My problem is, when I get attached to a character I find it hard to let them go, so I tend to look for books that are series. Also, I have an obsession with historical mystery novels. Especially those that take place in medieval times (my favorite time period). I am an obsessive reader and I am constantly searching for unread historical novels. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have my eye on the Matthew Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom next , they are about a hunchback lawyer during the reign of Henry VIII.

Sara

Does it count if I'm not reading it for myself??? (I can't remember the last time I read something because *I* wanted to read it.)

I'm pre-reading Tale of Desperaux. It's the book dd wants to read next.

Okay... I admit... I've got a few Disney Guidebooks on my nightstand. (planning a trip to WDW)

:D

I had just finished re-reading Julie & Julia, and one of the books she recommended in the back was "Toast" by Nigel Slater, a British food writer. He talks about his childhood, mainly in its relation to food and the memories connected with food, including his mother's death. Loved it.

Erica in OR