Menu

What do you think about this letter from our district?

"Dear Home-schooled Family, The ***** School Board of education is interested in gathering information from our community's Home Instruction families. We solicit your candid feedback to help us understand the reasons why you have chosen to educate your children at home.

Our Goal is to continually improve the learning environment for all of our district residents and we very much value your input. Please share your ideas by answering the questions below and returning this questionnaire in the envelope provided.

1) What are the reasons behind your decision to home-school your children?

2) What has been your level of experience with the **** School District in the past?

3)What other information can you provide that would help us understand your family's education needs.

4) We would welcome the opportunity to share with you our current district programs. Please provide contact information below if you would like to speak to us about out programs or tour our facilities.

We invite you to visit our district website and we cordially invite you to attend our upcoming open house.

Thank You,

**** School Board of Education."

So what do you think? I have hsed my kids in 3 different districts and this is the first time I have gotten a letter like this. We do have a new superintendent this year, but the letter caught me off guard.

What would you think if your district sent a letter like this to you?

I think I would be semi-alarmed. Is it just interest to figure out a way to get your kids back in the system, is it a tool to find out your 'true' reason for homeschooling (i.e. political, religious....etc.) I'm just not sure how I would answer...answering in any form could be misconstrued. I would feel fine responding that since you've educated and raised your children the first six years, you decided to continue that trend. This just opens up too many doors for me to be sarcastic and I shouldn't go there! :)

Tara

It sounds as if they are truly wondering what it is that homeschoolers prefer about homeschooling and what they don't like about the school district. They sound like they might actually use the information to improve their district, even if the homeschoolers don't come back. Your answers could help improve the lot of all the kids who will never be homeschooled.

I'd give honest answers. Some of my answers might not help them so much, such as religious reasons--they can't do much to implement that. But other concerns, such as academic reasons, might help.

I wouldn't be suspicious. I think keeping an open mind and approaching this with a positive attitude would go a long way in advancing the credibility of homeschoolers. I don't think you need to respond unless you are interested in helping the district. I live in a homeschool friendly state and district so we have been approached for our input and it has been a good experience for homeschoolers and the district.

I would joyfully fill it out and send it back. We started in public school, and only went shopping for alternatives because of our experiences with the public school. One of my problems at the time was this particular habit of letting student teachers run a classroom, in its entirety, with the primary teacher off doing other responsibilities. Then when the student teacher was leaving mid-year, the primary teacher would come back, oblivious to anything the children had been taught, personalities, strengths, weaknesses and the like. It was like a brand new teacher had walked into the room, mid-year. When my concerns were brought up to the school, it was dismissed as common practice, and was told it didn't happen by the superiors, despite the fact that both the student teacher and the primary teacher told me it did. And it was the only logical conclusion as to why my son's primary teacher, couldn't answer any basic questions I asked of her, about my son, in January!

When we were getting ready to enroll him in the next school year, I inquired about which teachers wouldn't have student teachers...her response was that Every teacher had student teachers.

This is not how it is supposed to work, and after experiencing it first hand, and seeing how it affected ds's learning, I would not hesitate to let them know that this was only one of the reasons we left.

My area has many, many examples of this. In my neighborhood, of way less than 100 houses, there are at least 8 families, that I know of (!) who home school! That is almost 10%, an actually higher considering only maybe 1/2 of the houses have kids of school age!

I would be happy to see the district making attempts to find out why so may kids are leaving their district, opting into other school districts, attending private schools (for non-religious reasons) or homeschooling.

You must live in a somewhat decent district though. I cannot imagine for one second my district sending out such a questionnaire. They don't seem to care about the students that attend their schools, never mind the ones who do not.
I was rather surprised that a list of local and online homeschooling organizations and resources was included with the letter from my Education Service District sent in response to my Notice of Intent.

I wouldn't presume that they have any negative intent in asking these questions, but I don't personally care whether my local school district officials understand the reasons I have chosen to educate my children at home. On one hand, it may be helpful to thoughtfully challenge their assumption that no one could possibly choose to homeschool if the local school district better served their needs. On the other hand, I don't think it's any of their business what my reasons are for homeschooling.

It sounds as if they are truly wondering what it is that homeschoolers prefer about homeschooling and what they don't like about the school district. They sound like they might actually use the information to improve their district, even if the homeschoolers don't come back. Your answers could help improve the lot of all the kids who will never be homeschooled.

I'd give honest answers. Some of my answers might not help them so much, such as religious reasons--they can't do much to implement that. But other concerns, such as academic reasons, might help.

:iagree: I would probably answer the questions but not leave contact info.

I'd suspect they are missing the money from having my kids as students.

Bingo! This is exactly how I read this letter. They're trying to find ways/programs that would get you to re-up with them in some form or fashion so they can get more $$. Our local school district has a home school option; the kids can do THEIR (the school district's) program at home. Or they have classes homeschooled kids can attend, etc. With all of these the kids are enrolled as students at the school and the school gets the $. I'm not saying this is horrible, but I'd toss the letter. Or write, "Our homeschooling decisions are private" on it and send it in.

:iagree: I would probably answer the questions but not leave contact info.

I agree with this. I know homeschoolers all over at this point. Many of the homeschoolers I know *do* participate in sports or art or band at their local schools. This is especially true among the teen homeschoolers we know. I'm sure the disctrict does receive money for having more kids enrolled, even part-time. However, I would not assume nefarious intent, I would assume they are trying for a win-win situation. They need to understand the needs of homeschoolers in order to determine what that might look like. I would answer their questions but if I had no intentions of participating in the school system at all then I would not give contact info.

I agree that it appears the new guy in charge is probably trying to work his magic on the budget.

Honestly, I wouldn't take the time to respond. But that's because I do not currently need anything from the public school system.

Should that change, I would become a very active parent in whichever school my children participate.

And there's no way I'd put my name on anything like that to the school district. In my experience they are notorious for taking statements out of context.

I would ignore it. When I first started homeschooling here in Florida, the director told us what was required. She said that once we registered with the school board, they would send a letter like a survey or something.

Her advice to us was that they had no need of any such information and to ignore any such requests.

"Dear Home-schooled Family, The ***** School Board of education is interested in gathering information from our community's Home Instruction families. We solicit your candid feedback to help us understand the reasons why you have chosen to educate your children at home.

Our Goal is to continually improve the learning environment for all of our district residents and we very much value your input. Please share your ideas by answering the questions below and returning this questionnaire in the envelope provided.

2) What has been your level of experience with the **** School District in the past?

3)What other information can you provide that would help us understand your family's education needs.

4) We would welcome the opportunity to share with you our current district programs. Please provide contact information below if you would like to speak to us about out programs or tour our facilities.

We invite you to visit our district website and we cordially invite you to attend our upcoming open house.

Thank You,

So what do you think? I have hsed my kids in 3 different districts and this is the first time I have gotten a letter like this. We do have a new superintendent this year, but the letter caught me off guard.

I would not respond. Frankly it's none of the school district's business why you homeschool, and I wouldn't feel obligated to tell them.

I wouldn't include my contact information, but I would love to send a response!

1.) We have decided to homeschool our children in order to provide them with a rigorous, well-rounded education appropriate to their unique developmental, social and academic needs, in a safe, supportive environment.

2.) Our experience with district teachers has been pleasant. Our experience with district administration has not.

3.) My family's educational needs are being met.

I agree. Then again, I feel that good public schools are essential. I'd answer the questions and hope that my input helps someone.

Thank You,

I got a somewhat similar letter this year from our school division. THey also asked questions along the lines of "what could we do/offer that would appeal to homeschoolers" and "would you consider enrolling your child for a single class or a few classes" and something about buying/borrowing resources from them.

I did send it back. I was VERY candid. :D

2.) Our experience with district teachers has been pleasant. Our experience with district administration has not.

For us, it has been the opposite. Admin has been mostly hands-off and I have no real problem with them. The teachers, on the other hand (at least at the elem. level) are egregiously incompetent. I wouldn't trust them to be able to teach a dog to bark.

OK, then the leader of the local area LEAH group (which I'm not a part of) sent out a "promotional" email:

To my dear homeschooling friends - I received today a letter from the *** school board asking some questions about our home schooling situation. I hope I am correct in assuming that many, if not all, of you received it also. I would like to encourage you to take the time to complete this information. If we keep the lines of communication open, and let the school know what WE want, improvements can be made. If we keep silent, the school won't know what we would like from them. We can complain amongst ourselves (I'm just a guilty of this as anyone) about what does/does not happen when dealing with the school, but if we don't let the board know, nothing can be done to change things. My advice is to keep it honest, polite, NOT defensive or attacking, and to the point. Please take this opportunity to let your ideas be known. The board has taken the first step, now we should take the next.

Please pass this "message" on to other homeschoolers in *** that I may have missed, if you feel lead to do so.

I think I need to bite me tongue, becuase I could sent out a reply email saying a lot of "devils advocate" points. But no sense in opening a can of worms IRL, I'll stick to doing it on the forums! At least I can get it out of my system that way!

Havent' read all the replies... but based on OP question... I would toss it in the trash & go on as normal. They know why people are leaving school systems in droves & if they don't ... they do not want to know. They may just be making a paper trail or file on families... who knows.

Tell them nothing.

Havent' read all the replies... but based on OP question... I would toss it in the trash & go on as normal. They know why people are leaving school systems in droves & if they don't ... they do not want to know. They may just be making a paper trail or file on families... who knows.

Tell them nothing.

Yeah! That's so funny!

Can you imagine the conversation?

"Why are people leaving?"

"I don't know! Let's send a survey and ask!"

I think I would use it as an opportunity to access some of the "perks" that the public school offers... ask if I could use the library, if my children could have access to the AR reading tests they offer to the school kids, if they could particpate in the gifted class (that they previously qualified for), etc. If they are truly interested in my kid, I would be happy to have access to some of the perks that my tax dollars pay for.

In my opinion, I think they are looking to make their school more appealing and want input on what drove you away.

Like our district, they're trying to gain enrollment. They want to see why people choose not to enroll they're children in their schools. I would be willing to bet that they have also sent a similar letter to families with children in private schools.

I would welcome this sort of dialogue with our district.

19. May a student instructed at home participate in the instructional program of the school district?

The legislature has not authorized part-time attendance and, therefore, a student instructed at home may not participate in the instructional program of the school district.

This is copied from the NY homeschool regs. Part time attendance is not allowed. An individual district could not change this, it would have to be changed at the state level.

But letting enough schools know that people want it could start a change at the state level, if school boards all go, "This could bring in some funding."

OK, then the leader of the local area LEAH group (which I'm not a part of) sent out a "promotional" email:

To my dear homeschooling friends - I received today a letter from the *** school board asking some questions about our home schooling situation. I hope I am correct in assuming that many, if not all, of you received it also. I would like to encourage you to take the time to complete this information. If we keep the lines of communication open, and let the school know what WE want, improvements can be made. If we keep silent, the school won't know what we would like from them. We can complain amongst ourselves (I'm just a guilty of this as anyone) about what does/does not happen when dealing with the school, but if we don't let the board know, nothing can be done to change things. My advice is to keep it honest, polite, NOT defensive or attacking, and to the point. Please take this opportunity to let your ideas be known. The board has taken the first step, now we should take the next.

Please pass this "message" on to other homeschoolers in *** that I may have missed, if you feel lead to do so.

I think I need to bite me tongue, becuase I could sent out a reply email saying a lot of "devils advocate" points. But no sense in opening a can of worms IRL, I'll stick to doing it on the forums! At least I can get it out of my system that way!

I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing a different point of view. I am not one for getting too involved with the district or providing more information than necessary.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing a different point of view. I am not one for getting too involved with the district or providing more information than necessary.

She's a good friend, the one who sent the email, and I really do love her, but I wonder about a lapse in judgment. What if I had used the LEAH mailing list to sway people NOT to send the letter back and to spread suspicion and paranoia against the district? If she really wanted to promote the district's out reach, maybe a personal email or phone call to her friends would have been better.

Since many people are saying "they just want the money", I am curious how this is handled in your state.

In our state, as far as I have been told, our school district gets our funding whether or not we attend. The only exception is when you request a district change, then the new district gets the funding.

I would respond honestly, but I have so far had a good relationship with the public school system in my area. I homeschool my son but use some of the facilties, like the library (we do AR tests) and testing to help us meet all his needs. We have even been offered part time enrollment if we want it (still discussing).

Since contact info is not required, I'd send it back. Filled out, wit h not return address label. Be honest but rude. Treat them the way you want to be treated with your choice of words. I think it's an oppurtunity to educate, if nothing else!

Thank You,

Guest RecumbentHeart
LOL, yes, I meant honest, not rude.

That gave me a chuckle :D

Our reasons for homeschooling would be of no use to them so I probably wouldn't take the time to respond if it was me.