Menu

Poll: How much do you spend *per person* on groceries monthly?

We have huge variances in our family sizes, so wondering if you would share how much you spend monthly on each person for groceries?

ETA: Tried posting a poll, sorry!

We spend $250 per person. That includes all cleaning supplies, meat, alcohol, personal products, and some spending cash. I've already cut back $600/mo and think we should probably cut back more. Will be watching thread closely...

Thanks!

Edited by Tracey in TX

Mine is quite a range. When we're being very frugal (um, like right now - we just returned from our cruise and then there was Christmas, etc, etc), I can get it down to about $75/pp/month.

I usually keep it around $100/pp/month though.

ETA: This includes all toiletries (which I get free with coupons and CVS bucks), supplies for laundry soap (which I make), household cleaning supplies (again, I make), alcohol, etc.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

We have budgeted about $115 per person per month, but my grocery budget includes paper products, shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc. (anything I'd buy at the grocery store, the super Walmart, or Sam's). Occasionally, we have an additional expense - like over the weekend we stocked up on hamburger at Sam's because we saved an extra 70 cents a pound by buying bulk, and that didn't come out of the regular grocery budget - but that's not a common occurrence.

This also includes keeping the pantry and freezers stocked - I am a habitual stocker-upper :)

Edited by KH_

Not more than about $70, and that is too high for the budget.

After the STBXH moves out i should be able to lower it a lot. He eats for 2 at any meal he is here for.

I really do think your food budget grows when your income grows - i don't have a lot of money each month to work with, so well, it has no choice but to be SMALL.

I spend $4-500 on a family of 5, so that averages almost $100 per person. If I cut out luxuries, I could easily feed us all for $300.

This doesn't include eating out, which adds about $2-300. Ds is a competative athlete so we eat on the run often and he eats 4-5 meals a day, consuming over 3000 calories. There is rarely a time that he isn't hungry. I spend extra money on him and his carpool friend buying burritos after practice 3 days a week. Dh and I try to have a date night at least 2 times a month right now.

Anywhere from $75-$100/person/month. This includes all household items as well (detergent, diapers, cleaners, shampoo, soap, etc). My budget it the higher amount, but I go lower and put money aside to supplement the homeschool/book budget or to buy any extras (like yankee candles, pretty dishtowels, etc).

I really have no idea, so I pulled out December's bank statement thinking I would add up the Costco and Winco food totals and do the math. I had pushed it to the back of my mind how the well pump repair, mortgage payment, auto insurance, home insurance, major van repair, and Christmas were all on that one horrible statement! I think I have lost my appetite....

Our budget for the month for a family of 5 is $350.00 for Groceries and $50.00 for eating out. I coupon seriously and also have a garden, buy beef from my parents (they are beef farmers, so we buy a quarter when we need it) I also cook a lot from scratch. Before I started couponing and getting things so cheap, it was more like $650 a month for everything. Now I'm determined to keep it under $400, figured if we could reduce it by that amount, that's $3000 that could be spent elsewhere. http://www.couponmom.com is my favorite site.

It's kind if hard to figure. We are a family of 6, but I watch two other kids during the day who eat lunch and snacks with us. Just figuring the 6 of us, about $40-$50 a month per person. That includes the gardening supplies as we grow a lot of the veggies we eat, but does not count the cost to run the chest freezer. This price my go down some as we expand our garden, save our own seeds, and begin bartering services for hunted meat or free-range eggs.

Since my daughter is in and out of the house during the year, and even when she's here, I'm sometimes sending food to her.

However, as best I can tell, it looks like about $190 per person per month, which is a whole lot higher than I would have guessed.

It's frustrating, because I'm naturally frugal, but don't get a lot of cooperation from my husband or son. And, since we "can" afford to spend more, we tend to do so.

$75 per person per month!? Wow, you guys are good. Food and homeschool are where we spend our money on whatever we think is best (and leave our furnace around 60 most of the time, off at night) - we buy a lot of organic and things along those lines that cost more but grow our own produce in the summer. I also include all the paper products and cleaning supplies in my grocery money. For 6 people - 5 basically adults (one a teenage boy!) and a 10 year old we spend...$200 per person per month. Reading through this I am thinking there is a huge difference depending on where you live. Someone on the s/o under $75 post itemized her grocery bill and was talking about $1 something a gallon milk. Even at Costco milk where I live is over $2...and everything else is comparable.

Edited by jcooperetc

We were running about $200-225 per week, plus eating out a lot. We're staring some seriously reduced commissions in the face so we've given ourselves a budget of $150 per week for groceries, $75 per week for eating out (not including Bud's eating out expense related to work). That's for a family of 5, but Romy is only one. I can stay within our budget easily, but I do use it all up. That includes all the things you mentioned except spending cash.

So right now I would say around $120 per person per month for groceries, and $60 per person per month for dining out.

Edit to add:

This is what a week of meals looks like for us with this budget. I buy mainly organic meat, produce and dairy, as well as 7th Generation household products when available.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

I budget $120 per month per person, (5 in the family. Dh, me, dd18, ds16, ds14... none of us eat lightly ;) )

This includes general household items such as cleaning products, toiletries, small items for the home such as lightbulbs, etc. It does not include pet food for which I budget seperately, nor does it cover eating out which we do infrequently. I feel with this amount we eat very well and my freezer and pantry stay well stocked with a variety of foods we all like.

$100 per month per person is about what we spend for all groceries, toiletries, a couple of light meals out, and cleaning products. This amount covers large amounts of local dairy and produce, more meat and fish than we probably should eat, plus dark chocolate and wine, so I feel pretty spoiled at this amount:001_smile: If we cut out the luxuries I can bring this amount down to $75 easily, but I wouldn't enjoy cutting much more than that.

I spend $167 per person every month on groceries -- pretty much exactly $1000 for our family. I buy as much on sale as I can. I can get it down to $134 per person doing that, as long as I don't stock up on any bargains. Groceries are pretty high here. This is just for food. I keep track of everything else separately.

Edited by RoughCollie

We spend about $150-$175/pp/month including meals out, toiletries, and our pets (four cats, one small dog, fish, and a tiny little turtle). I buy a lot of organic, but I also plan menus ahead of time based on weekly sales and stick to them pretty well. We also live in a cheaper part of the country. During the farmer's market seasons, that number drops a bit.

Probably about $100 conservative estimate. We don't usually spend $800 per month on groceries, but that's how much it can get up to on weeks when we have lots of "extras". We have 8 in our family, 4 adults and 4 children, + 1 day care child, not included in the 8. :)

Hope this helps you.

BTW - we shop at Costco, and we try to have 1 vegetarian night (dinner under $5), and 1 left over night (when we eat leftovers &/or scrounge), this cuts down on our dinner budget. For breakfast we usually eat a Costco muffin, or homemade pancakes, lunch is a simple sandwich, and dinner is simple home made dishes.

I aim for $650/mo which is $130 per person (includes everything--toiletries, dog food, cleaning, paper supplies, food).

We managed to do January for $500 and that was with every meal at home except one take-out pizza. Dh did buy a couple of lunches, but he's trying to take his lunch most days. This $500/mo only works in months without a Costco stock up trip (about every 6 weeks).

We're at about $125 per person on the regular budget, plus dh gets $50 a month that he "blows" on brunches and a few extras during the month, so that's more like $133 per month, but we don't "need" that extra 50.

That includes all paper products, cleaners, soap, shampoo, socks (I tend to buy them at the wholesale store), and extra stuff for the kitchen/house (wooden spoons, measuring cups, tupperware, etc.)

BTW - this is Canadian dollars. I am super thrifty, but the cheapest milk I can get costs $4.19. Butter right now is $4.29 - 4.99 a pound. Eggs are $2.49 a dozen. Meat is astronomical. I can shop for waaaaay less when I visit the US.

I have a budget of $775 for 6 people per month. Includes diapers and toiletries but not eating out (that is a separate budget of $200). So mine is about $130 per person per month. I buy organically when I can and we have a nice stock of extras in the basement.

$650/month for a family of 6 (and we feed my mom supper most nights - she lives on our property). About $75 comes off the top for cat and dog foods, so we're about $575 for our food/toiletries, etc. This does NOT include eating out. We buy a good bit of organic. We buy our beef from my sister in quarters twice/year so meat is rarely included in our monthly expenses (except chicken).

Here's the thing though - 3 dd's really don't eat home much (one is gone during the week to school, the other 2 work and spend time away from home with their boyfriends) and ds is just still so picky that he rarely eats what I cook - he'll make sandwiches and stuff. He just doesn't really like anything with meat in it so if we have a meaty meal, he is not interested.

We eat out a fair amount, but are cutting that out right now and going to try and limit it to one nice meal out/month (my kids don't want fast food when we go out - they want Greek, Sushi, etc. - that gets expensive, so we're cutting it).

Anyway, that probably hasn't helped you much, but there it is!

We spend about $75 per person, but our children are little--6 and 3 (plus a breastfeeding baby who doesn't cost much!). We are very frugal, and shop at Aldi for a lot of things, a bread bakery outlet, and use coupons, too. This cost doesn't include the cost of our weekly meal out...don't know if that matters or not. Some weeks it would add $10 per person per week, others just the cost of a part of a pizza...

Before I started couponing, we were doing over $100/mo. and felt like we weren't getting anything.

Now, I am doing heavy couponing and we're at $80/pp/mo. We're pretty good, too. Being able to buy some snacks and soda for the first time.