Menu

Could you live like this scenario

Would you move into a house where 75% of the floors are just subfloor? I think the smart thing would be to finish the floors first then move. WDYT?

Also, would you live in a house where the windows do not open? Does this seem unsafe? Wouldn’t you want to be able to get out if there was a fire? That not unreasonable is it?

Sorry I just need a check on myself sometimes. I never truly know if I’m being unreasonable. 

• Sad 5

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows must open. Period.

Subfloors — not my preference but if I had a plan to put flooring in, I could see living there while the work was happening if that made sense for our family. (To be clear, it doesn’t make sense for our family at this moment, so I can’t really imagine doing this, but if it’s absolutely all we could afford to do — it might not be a deal breaker, you know?)

Why do you ask, just curious?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I would much prefer to finish floors prior to move in.  If we couldn't afford to do that before moving in, the floor thing could be deal breaker.

On the windows, what does "windows do not open" mean.  Like we moved into a house from 1915 where some of the double hung windows wouldn't stay open without a dowel.  But we had dowels cut for selected windows and just store them inbetween the storms and the window.  We've slowly repaired over time and open windows all the time.  If they were the vintage windows that would wind open with a handle and that wouldn't open at all?  Well that could be a deal breaker.  Though again, if we had budget to fix this up front built into the price, might consider it.  

• Like 1

No I would not.  Windows that don't open are a safety hazard, I'm surprised a house is on the market like this. 

The floors would be a dealbreaker for me because I know myself and my husband, and the floors would never be done. 

Edited by marbel

No to the windows

Subfloor? Sure. It would be easier before moving in, but if DIY’ing, you might not have time.

I would want to be sure that something like subfloors does not indicate a bigger deal problem.

I have been I situations where we didn’t know what we wanted to do long-term and just tossed an area rug on top of subfloor until we could decide (usually we had to rip out flooring for a specific reason that was kind of abrupt).

You used to be able to get nice enough subfloor that it wasn’t even that obvious if you stained it, lol!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could live in a house with 75% of the flooring being subfloor. But I wouldn't do it voluntarily, and I'd definitely want it to be a temporary thing. Putting down flooring before moving in would absolutely be the way to go if possible.

I'd be very leery of the windows not being able to be opened. In my very limited experience it's a LOT harder to break a window than the teevee and movies make it seem.

You're not being unreasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never been able to pay cash for a home in a location I wanted to live. Functional windows and actual flooring are requirements for a mortgage everywhere I’ve lived. 

We have bought short sale homes without any appliances and were required to install them in less than 30 days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Windows are a big deal breaker. We need air circulation so all windows must be openable.
As for flooring, we won’t move in but if that’s the only issue and the house is what we want, we would just delay moving in. 

• Thanks 1

When I think of a sub floor I think of a concrete slab because that's what I know from growing up/living in Florida. We lived with concrete slab for about 6 months in our old house when we first moved in. The carpet was too nasty so we had it taken up and it was that long before we could get other flooring done. I don't think it's that big of a deal if there are plans to get the flooring done.

Windows that won't open would be a deal breaker for me. I don't think that's safe. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Subfloor, would depend on what it was. Concrete slab? It could stay that way. Plywood? it would need to be smooth &/or covered &/or flooring put down before we moved in. 

Windows that cannot open at all in case of fire?  Nope. No way. That's a deal breaker for me. 

• Like 1

Both would be dealbreakers for me. But really, I'm not a DIYer and professional renovations are still a pain to have to deal with, so I have only bought houses that were already the way I wanted them to be. I wouldn't be a person who would want to install new flooring in that much of the house or replace all those windows. 

But my bigger question would be why there is only subfloor in most of the house. Was there a flood? Is the house a flip that didn't work out because the house ended up being more work than the flippers could afford to do, so they tried to hide a lot of the problems and didn't even bother trying to fix the floors or the windows?

Lots of very serious questions here! 

Edited by Catwoman
"Install" starts with an I and not with an N
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We ripped out all of our carpet and lived on subfloors for about 18 months as we gradually installed wood floors and stairs on weekend spare time. This is doable. It’s a pain to clear a room to install and then shuffle things back, but it’s doable.

Windows that dont open? Heck no. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The reason I ask is that we most likely will inherit dh’s parents house and the is is the situation. Dh says he’d move straight in. I say floors and windows first. He thinks I’m a bit of a diva or whatever to insist on these things being done. 

And to answer the question about subfloor. It is plywood and it is still subfloor because it was a DIY house that never got finished.

And the windows? They got them used and for whatever reason they sealed them shut I guess? I really don’t remember the details of this. I will have dh take a look to see what is up with that. All I remember is that you cannot open them.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

Here in San Diego (or all of CA?) code requires every single room must have at least one functioning window for egress.  I can't imagine moving into a house without windows that open.  That's crazy!

And floors? How much worse to have to do them AFTER furniture gets moved it? Ugh.  Both would be a no-go for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I say floors and windows first. He thinks I’m a bit of a diva

LOL.  It is not exactly high maintenance to want to live in a house with flooring and windows that open.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JennyD said:

LOL.  It is not exactly high maintenance to want to live in a house with flooring and windows that open.

Thanks. lol I just needed to know before I really put my foot down and insist that stuff get done first. I truly don’t want to be unreasonable. There a list of similar things I feel like I’m going to have to be firm about. I may ask later.

Edited by Elizabeth86

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

The reason I ask is that we most likely will inherit dh’s parents house and the is the situation.

Then it makes even more sense to redo the windows and get flooring done for at least one room. It is not like you are currently in temporary housing and need to move in immediately.

Are his parents currently living there? It is dangerous to have windows that don’t open if they live there. The immediate issue being the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and bad air quality. Then there is the fire risk. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I agree. Windows are a safety issue.

And even if the floors were not a safety concern — the only way I would consider living on plywood subfloor is if we could not afford any other option while we added flooring and we actively had a plan in place for that to happen asap.

I don’t think windows or non-plywood flooring are high maintenance at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

Then it makes even more sense to redo the windows and get flooring done for at least one room. It is not like you are currently in temporary housing and need to move in immediately.

Are his parents currently living there? It is dangerous to have windows that don’t open if they live there. The immediate issue being the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and bad air quality. Then there is the fire risk. 

No, his parents have passed away. I think there are carbon monoxide detectors and lots of fire extinguishers, but still ya know. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

The reason I ask is that we most likely will inherit dh’s parents house and the is is the situation. Dh says he’d move straight in. I say floors and windows first. He thinks I’m a bit of a diva or whatever to insist on these things being done. 

And to answer the question about subfloor. It is plywood and it is still subfloor because it was a DIY house that never got finished.

And the windows? They got them used and for whatever reason they sealed them shut I guess? I really don’t remember the details of this. I will have dh take a look to see what is up with that. All I remember is that you cannot open them.

Ummm... you're a diva because you want FLOORS and WINDOWS THAT OPEN?

No.

Just no.

Stick to your guns on this. You are right and he is wrong. 

The windows may just be painted shut, and if that's the case, they can be repaired, but I would want both the floors and all of the windows taken care of while the house is empty. Who wants to deal with having to move everything around to get floors done after all of your stuff is in the house? That would be insanity when you already know you need to have them done.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks. lol I just needed to know before I really put my foot down and insist that stuff get done first. I truly don’t want to be unreasonable. There a list of similar things I feel like I’m going to have to be firm about. I may ask later.

You aren't being at all unreasonable. You are being sensible.

It's so much easier to do renovations and repairs on an empty house, and it's often less expensive in the end because hiring someone to do all the floors at once (and someone else to do all of the windows at once) will mean they can do one big job instead of a bunch of small jobs, which can save you money. And if you're doing hardwood floors, doing all of them at once will ensure that they match from one room to the hallway to the next room, etc.

Also, who wants workmen in the house doing one room... and then another room... and then another room...and so on? It will take forever. By the time they are finally done, you'll be inviting them over for Thanksgiving and hanging Christmas stockings with their names on them on your mantel. 😉 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The subflooring I could live with if I was reasonably sure it would be fixed soon. The windows, no.

My FOO built a house when I was a kid. To save on having to sign another year's lease on a dumpy rental house, we moved into the house before it was finished. We lived in the basement for the first few months, which was just concrete floors and walls. We had one spigot for water (we showered at a friend's house for awhile. We carried water upstairs for the toilet. My mom cooked on the wood stove and with an electric skillet. Dad got the bedrooms finished upstairs after a few months. The main floor took longer. So when I say I would move in with subflooring down, I actually mean I would do that if the situation called for it. It would be so much easier to put flooring in first, though, that the situation would have to really call for it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

No, his parents have passed away. I think there are carbon monoxide detectors and lots of fire extinguishers, but still ya know. 

Are you kidding me? Fire extinguishers are not going to help you get out of the house, or get your children out of the house if you can't get out a window!  

You are not a diva to demand these things. 

Your husband is WRONG. You would be endangering your children to live in a house without working windows, even for a week. A day! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Living on site while things get worked on wouldn’t bother me as long as there was a reasonable plan in place, but I wouldn’t want to fully move from one house to another house while the repairs are being completed. Working around a house full of furniture and stuff would make the work take longer. 
Maybe a compromise would be to complete work on some of the rooms before moving in, and finish other rooms after moving. Depending on what materials are used, putting flooring down can be done very quickly. Replacing individual windows doesn’t take that long either.

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I could live in a house with 75% of the flooring being subfloor. But I wouldn't do it voluntarily, and I'd definitely want it to be a temporary thing. Putting down flooring before moving in would absolutely be the way to go if possible.

I'd be very leery of the windows not being able to be opened. In my very limited experience it's a LOT harder to break a window than the teevee and movies make it seem.

You're not being unreasonable.

As someone who has been in the process of replacing flooring DIY for about 6 months...do it before you have furniture in place. The hardest part of doing flooring has been figuring out where to put the room full of stuff while doing it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Am I correct in assuming that there is actually a lot more upgrading/renovating to be done, and you are wanting these 2 things before moving in, and other renos could happen after you and your dc move in? If so, I'd look really strategically at what other renos would be best to do before you and your furniture move in. Painting would be much easier, and any changes to kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and plumbing would also be much easier to complete before moving in. If costs are the key factor in your dh wanting to move in, sell you current home to finance the renos, then perhaps look at a short-term loan to get those renos done before moving in. You could also use the money to freshen up your current home before putting it on the market.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My dh’s family built their own house and it was plywood his whole growing up years. After his dad died—when dh was 37–we moved in with his mom and dh laid the hardwood floors. Homeschooling as he did it was not…fun…but the kids were little and we went to the library a lot. The bedrooms already had carpet I think. Honestly, though, he worked on one room at a time and it was annoying but liveable—except the noise while schooling. 

Sealed windows would be a hard no from me. That is just not safe. 

If you are hiring out work, pulling out the trim, and then having someone spray the walls with paint would take a couple of days to do, and a couple of days to cure. The average sized house would take a 2 person crew about a week to install floors—maybe a bit more for tile. If you are hiring out the work, you’re talking about a two week delay.

If you are doing it yourself, plan 3-4 days for the first room you do wood floors in, and then 2-3 days of solid work for each room after. This does not include the time to remove trim, paint it, reinstall it, and do touchups. 

The floor nailer is freaking loud. Sawing boards kicks up a ton of dust. You’re left with stacks of bad boards and ends. Like, if he hasnt installed floors and has no freaking clue what he is getting into, insist he does one room first before you even consider moving in on plywood.

But, the windows are an absolute no go. I insist on opening windows, working electricity, one usable shower and toilet, and basic temperature control as my minimums. I am willing to roll with a lot, I really am, but it is really hard on people to live in a construction zone.

• Like 7

Also, I remember the whole shed situation you had. It sends up red flags for me on the whole “live in a reno” scenario for you, especially with small kids. Like—potential marriage killer situation—we know a few people who called it quits after the stress of living in a construction zone long term.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, marbel said:

Are you kidding me? Fire extinguishers are not going to help you get out of the house, or get your children out of the house if you can't get out a window!  

You are not a diva to demand these things. 

Your husband is WRONG. You would be endangering your children to live in a house without working windows, even for a week. A day! 

This. I have no idea what is or isn’t reportable, but I could imagine a possibility of no opening windows even being a reportable to CPS kind of a thing. Certainly no one would be allowed to foster or adopt a child in that situation, or rent the place to anyone else. So it’s not anywhere close to unreasonable for you to refuse to live there until at minimum the windows are functioning.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Ummm... you're a diva because you want FLOORS and WINDOWS THAT OPEN?

No.

Just no.

Stick to your guns on this. You are right and he is wrong. 

The windows may just be painted shut, and if that's the case, they can be repaired, but I would want both the floors and all of the windows taken care of while the house is empty. Who wants to deal with having to move everything around to get floors done after all of your stuff is in the house? That would be insanity when you already know you need to have them done.

Thank you. I feel like it would make so much more sense to have it all done too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

You aren't being at all unreasonable. You are being sensible.

It's so much easier to do renovations and repairs on an empty house, and it's often less expensive in the end because hiring someone to do all the floors at once (and someone else to do all of the windows at once) will mean they can do one big job instead of a bunch of small jobs, which can save you money. And if you're doing hardwood floors, doing all of them at once will ensure that they match from one room to the hallway to the next room, etc.

Also, who wants workmen in the house doing one room... and then another room... and then another room...and so on? It will take forever. By the time they are finally done, you'll be inviting them over for Thanksgiving and hanging Christmas stockings with their names on them on your mantel. 😉 

Ah yes, that’s where more drama picks up. Dh will NOT I’ve hiring anyone. Sigh. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Am I correct in assuming that there is actually a lot more upgrading/renovating to be done, and you are wanting these 2 things before moving in, and other renos could happen after you and your dc move in? If so, I'd look really strategically at what other renos would be best to do before you and your furniture move in. Painting would be much easier, and any changes to kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and plumbing would also be much easier to complete before moving in. If costs are the key factor in your dh wanting to move in, sell you current home to finance the renos, then perhaps look at a short-term loan to get those renos done before moving in. You could also use the money to freshen up your current home before putting it on the market.

There is a LOT of things I’d like changed, but the the floors and windows are the only things I don’t want to budge on. Being really extra, I want to say I need a dishwasher, but I can see that really isn’t necessary. 

31 minutes ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

I have to have fresh air. I don't care how cold it is. I will crackers a window in the dead of winter for a few minutesjustto breathe in fresh air. Those windows would be a HECK FREAKING NO.

Me too.

23 minutes ago, Myra said:

Also - think about the possibility of lead paint on walls and around windows - wouldn't be feasible to live there if lead paint was being abated.

I doubt that. The whole house only got underway about 16 years ago. The windows were used, but not old. They are like that white plastic-y material. No paint at all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KSera said:

This. I have no idea what is or isn’t reportable, but I could imagine a possibility of no opening windows even being a reportable to CPS kind of a thing. Certainly no one would be allowed to foster or adopt a child in that situation, or rent the place to anyone else. So it’s not anywhere close to unreasonable for you to refuse to live there until at minimum the windows are functioning.

Right? You are probably right.

• Like 1

If you know what you’re getting into and understand how to accomplish the work correctly, then go for it. Also, you’d want to have a history of genuinely getting things done. If not, I’d pass. Remodeling takes some know how and a lot of patience.

• Like 2

I lived with plywood sub flooring for over a decade but we did paint it at least. We didn’t put in flooring until we were selling the home. I don’t suggest that method but the plywood was no big deal, it just didn’t look great.

The window need to open though, I’m with you on that one! Yikes. There’s no time to be throwing chairs through glass in a fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Also, I remember the whole shed situation you had. It sends up red flags for me on the whole “live in a reno” scenario for you, especially with small kids. Like—potential marriage killer situation—we know a few people who called it quits after the stress of living in a construction zone long term.

Yes, you have a good memory. Yes, that’s why I’m nervous about us potentially living like this for a LONG time and NO the shed is NOT done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Does your husband have time and skill for big jobs like these? Has he completed things in a timely manner previously? Your "diva" comment, and one by a pp, lead me to think at least one of these questions has "no" for an answer.

Some people are great at completing home improvements and some are not. Some have great ideas, plans, and are willing, but for various reasons can't follow through with it. My husband is like that. The first two houses we owned needed cosmetic repairs and updating from day one, and those things were only completed when we were putting the house on the market and they had to be done. We bought a third house like that - it was supposed to be temporary but hasn't been - and I expect the same situation here. It took me a while to  learn my lesson, but if we move again, the next house will be perfect.

He is skilled, and smart, and motivated. He's not lazy. But things simply do not get done. He knows it. But he can't bring himself to hire anyone. I live with it because he has other qualities. But I won't do it again!

Please don't settle for waiting years or forever for work to be done. 

ETA we were posting at the same time. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

If you know what you’re getting into and understand how to accomplish the work correctly, then go for it. Also, you’d want to have a history of genuinely getting things done. If not, I’d pass. Remodeling takes some know how and a lot of patience.

I have no choice about how it gets done.

• Sad 3

Just now, marbel said:

Does your husband have time and skill for big jobs like these? Has he completed things in a timely manner previously? Your "diva" comment, and one by a pp, lead me to think at least one of these questions has "no" for an answer.

Some people are great at completing home improvements and some are not. Some have great ideas, plans, and are willing, but for various reasons can't follow through with it. My husband is like that. The first two houses we owned needed cosmetic repairs and updating from day one, and those things were only completed when we were putting the house on the market and they had to be done. We bought a third house like that - it was supposed to be temporary but hasn't been - and I expect the same situation here. It took me a while to  learn my lesson, but if we move again, the next house will be perfect.

He is skilled, and smart, and motivated. He's not lazy. But things simply do not get done. He knows it. But he can't bring himself to hire anyone. I live with it because he has other qualities. But I won't do it again!

Please don't settle for waiting years or forever for work to be done. 

He definitely has the skill. He definitely does not have the time.

12 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

That would be even more non negotiable on moving in. It can be your husband’s “past time” to fix it up but I won’t want to move. 
My former neighbor is really good at fixing things up for his tenants and even then some repairs get delayed though not his fault. 
As for windows, we have Milgard windows installed by the developer that were hard to open or close and Milgard staff came and fixed the cranky ones for us. 

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

He definitely has the skill. He definitely does not have the time.

Then I would not move. I mean, I'm speaking for myself now, but I would die on that hill. 

(Of course maybe your current house is not "done" either.)

We have been talking about a shed for probably 5 years now... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1