Menu

Staples On Hand for Spontaneous Entertaining

This may be a weird question.  I do not have people over often.  I have a friend who whenever I go over, even last minute, she always has something to put together for a snack.  Like bread with bruschetta, or crackers and crab dip, all kinds of things.  However, she is pretty extroverted and has people over often.  When I've tried to stock some things like what she makes, they sit in my fridge until they expire.  I mean, I have sandwich bread around, but not baguette bread, ya know?

I would like to feel more free to invite someone by if they are in my area.  I would like some ideas of things I could have on hand that would last a good while in the fridge or pantry that I could use when someone comes over.   Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

If you have freezer space, you can keep the fancier bread in there and just thaw it if someone comes over.  Same with frozen cookie dough if you want to have fresh baked cookies.  Otherwise, I'd go with things like chips/salsa or crackers and cheese.  Apples last a long time in the fridge, so maybe you can have those to have slices with any bread/cracker combos?  My MIL always had things like crackers/cheese/pepperoni/chips around.  

I'm pretty simple though - maybe you'll get some answers for fancier foods.

ETA - you could also have some kind of wrapped chocolates available to put out in a bowl.  Nuts would be nice too.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

If you have freezer space, you can keep the fancier bread in there and just thaw it if someone comes over.  Same with frozen cookie dough if you want to have fresh baked cookies.  Otherwise, I'd go with things like chips/salsa or crackers and cheese.  Apples last a long time in the fridge, so maybe you can have those to have slices with any bread/cracker combos?  My MIL always had things like crackers/cheese/pepperoni/chips around.  

I'm pretty simple though - maybe you'll get some answers for fancier foods.

Don't need fancy!  Just want to be more hospitable.  As an introvert it does not come naturally! : )  Does thawed bread taste okay?

Edited by goldberry

I’ve served sliced apples with Rainforest brand crackers spread with cream cheese.  You can freeze the cream cheese; just remember to thaw in time for guests.  My grocery stocks frozen baguette bread.  Pita crackers will keep for months and are good with hummus. You could also do a mini charcuterie board.

• Like 2

What do you snack on? I’d start there. I usually just make a plate of assorted snack stuff. I snack on crackers w flavored cream cheese, sliced bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, fruit, nuts. I usually have olives, too.  I always have cheese I can slice.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

What do you snack on? I’d start there. I usually just make a plate of assorted snack stuff. I snack on crackers w flavored cream cheese, sliced bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, fruit, nuts. I usually have olives, too.  I always have cheese I can slice.  

I'm a disorganized snacker.  Just opening cabinets and grabbing things.  I do usually have nuts, crackers, and sometimes olives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, annandatje said:

I’ve served sliced apples with Rainforest brand crackers spread with cream cheese.  You can freeze the cream cheese; just remember to thaw in time for guests.  My grocery stocks frozen baguette bread.  Pita crackers will keep for months and are good with hummus. You could also do a mini charcuterie board.

Do you mean Raincoast?  I see those, what kind do you like?

We just have a lot of snacks at my house in general. So our secret to that is we just keep things we eat on hand. I might feed people with things that I had slated for later.

Some other things we do is we keep long lasting staples around like just flour and so we can whip up a flat bread/cookies quickly or some buns if we have an hour or two. With cheese, dried cheeses last longer so we have cheddar and parmesan rather than brie on hand. We keep some cured meats (they also last longer), jarred artichokes/olives, and jams/preserves. So I can make up a charcuterie board cured meats, jam, slice up some dried cheese, honey, nuts, whatever. 

The other thing is to learn ways to cook meats from frozen. So then I can provide dinner for guests, so I know I can defrost ground beef and whip up some ground beef meal. I can throw some frozen chicken thighs/breast in the oven, brown it and top it with a cream sauce. Keep pasta and rice on hand and suddenly I can feed a whole other family with an hours notice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Don't need fancy!  Just want to be more hospitable.  As an introvert it does not come naturally! : )  Does thawed bread taste okay?

I think it's fine, but maybe you'd be better off with what @annandatje said and buy a frozen bread.  

9 minutes ago, annandatje said:

I was going to suggest cream cheese, but didn't know it could be frozen!  

• Like 1

Also we learn to make super simple stuff look put together and fancy. DH will puree a jar of artichoke hearts and voila it's an artichoke pesto for pasta or a dip for something. 

Canned tomatoes, mixed with Italian seasoning can either be a pasta sauce or toppings for a bruschetta, 

Since you have a liquor collection. You can make cocktails with some Toranni syrup for fun and be super hostess with the mostess. Fruit cooked in liquor makes for some of the most fancy desserts. 

• Like 2

Things I always have on hand: chocolate, good cheeses, crackers, nuts, fruit. With those, I can make a quick tray of goodies. I have a bar/lounge where most would have a "formal" living room. I could serve the tray at the bar, along with drinks of choice, or have people gather in the family room. Kind of depends on "who" and "how many." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We always have bread in our freezer. If you wrap good bread well when it's still fresh (don't wait a few days), it is just as good as fresh. To me, Costco baguettes are the best; they are huge, and freeze beautifully. When I get home with a 2-pack, I cut them in half, freeze 3 halves and we eat one half the same day.  Be sure to wrap them well, don't just toss them in a ziplock unwrapped!

We can always offer bread, cheese, salami or similar meats, some mustard, dipping vegetables like carrots and celery (last a long time) and cucumbers (need to be eaten sooner), stuff for dip - I like a simple dill dip with sour cream, yogurt, garlic (dried/granulated rather than fresh for me), and fresh or dried dill. If there's time, send someone out for some fruit; you can make a simple dip with yogurt and a little honey. 

We usually have some frozen appetizers too - samosas, mini quiches, stuff like that.

We also always have cheese and tortillas (flour and corn), tortilla chips and jarred salsa around. Quesadillas cut small or nachos are super simple and most people like them. 

As you can see we are not vegan, dairy free, GF etc, so my suggestions will not work for all.

BTW we don't have company very often either but these are things we eat regularly anyway (except frozen appetizers but they have a long life anyway). 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

We keep easy stuff on hand to throw together a quick charcuterie. We keep nuts, dried fruits, salami, pepperoni and cheese are pretty much always on hand. We always plenty of drinks available.

• Like 3

I have cashews in the freezer, usually clementines on hand (or in summer, other fruit), carrots in the fridge I could cut up, and canned chickpeas that could be made into a dip.

I could make these bars from pantry ingredients in under an hour.

Sometimes there are muffins in my freezer, so those are an option.

• Like 2

I keep Trader Joe's Mini Vegetable Samosas in the freezer for impromptu hosting--just stick in the toaster oven. They're a little spicy but so far even typically non-adventurous eaters have loved them. 

Recently bought chicken Caesar wraps from our local grocery store for a quick pre-graduation lunch. $24 for 8 and everyone raved--that's officially the lunch menu for the ILs henceforth  😂

• Like 2

All I have on hand is coffee and a variety of tea. I might have random snacks. I’m an extrovert but if any of my friends want to stop by, they aren’t expecting food. They just want coffee or tea and to sit down and have a relaxing chat. We usually have stuff for making sandwiches because my husband and teens are perpetually hungry. So if any guest is hungry, they can make themselves a sandwich to their liking.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Things I do for impromptu unplanned entertainment:

Cheese, nuts and dried fruit for a cheese tray

Misc fruit for a fruit plate or salad

Veggie salad

Frozen pretzels

Pasta with veggies sauce

If I have 30 minute warning,  I can bake a batch of scones or whip up fresh hummus. If my friend comes over at 4 and I know she'll probably stay for dinner, I start a bread dough and finish the baking while she's here.

Eta: so staples for that would be flour, yeast, canned chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic. All things I have on hand pretty much always.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Okay raise your hand if you wondered what staples have to do with spontaneous entertainment. I guess I have office supplies on the brain.

🖐️

4 hours ago, goldberry said:

I would like to feel more free to invite someone by if they are in my area.  I would like some ideas of things I could have on hand that would last a good while in the fridge or pantry that I could use when someone comes over.   Any ideas?

If you're going to invite them, even the same day, doesn't that allow for enough time to run to the store? Just maybe have a list of ideas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Okay raise your hand if you wondered what staples have to do with spontaneous entertainment. I guess I have office supplies on the brain.

Carry on . . .

Yep the reason I clicked 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If people stop by they dont seem to expect anything other than tea, coffee or water. That being said we always have food in the house so I could make a mediterranean charcuterie if I wanted to get fancy. 

• Like 1

I always have several kinds of nuts on hand and dried fruits. I usually also have some dried fruits. Mark loves to make dried pineapple chips, so those are normally on hand along with dried cranberries. If I have enough heads up and it is Michigan cherry season, I will go grab a couple lbs of those, and then just let people graze. So long as we have the liquor cabinet stocked, the food doesn't need to be elaborate. 😁

I also have a lot of baking supplies on hand, and have been known to toss a pan of maple syrup, cinnamon mini muffins in the oven. The muffins are really nice with tea.

• Like 2

Hum, am I the only person who isn't in favor of people coming by randomly? Immediate family okay. Others? Call or text first. 

I mean, if you do stop by, we always have sweet tea, usually lemonade, and a variety of flavored seltzer waters cold. We probably have some cookies frozen somewhere.  At one time, I did keep the pound cakes from Sam's in the freezer - but I used those as a dessert if I was taking a family a meal. 

• Like 2

I used to buy Edward's frozen pies whenever they were on sale, so we were always prepared to take a pie to an event or serve it to guests.  People always asked for the recipe. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bambam said:

Hum, am I the only person who isn't in favor of people coming by randomly? Immediate family okay. Others? Call or text first. 

Probably not, but I'm guessing the people who aren't in favor of impromptu visits may not have ideas for how to keep a house stocked for unexpected visitors. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bambam said:

I interpreted OP’s post as asking for suggestions so that she can invite people to drop by at the spur of the moment. For example if she is going out with a friend for an event and that friend has nothing planned after. She could ask her friend to come to her home without having to worry about having nothing edible to be hospitable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cintinative said:

Staples = 🍚 🍙 according to my husband 🤣

• Like 2

Cheese plate and chocolate is my go-to. Even if it's just the cheddar you put on sandwiches and your hidden box of crackers, you can pretty it up in two minutes by having a nice small tray, a little bowl for olives and another one for jam, lay the cracker stash in a straggly line, chunk up a chocolate bar into small pieces, add a little wooden spreader that you've bought to become a hostess and all you need are some napkins and a drink. Done!

Hidden pantry stash for the above: box of interesting crackers, olives, preserves (pepper jelly, membrillo, even plain strawberry is fine,) fancy bar of chocolate, fizzy water or wine. Equipment needed: tray, wooden spreader, two small bowls, napkins, glasses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take a minute and buy something each week that treats yourself.  This is the secret.

It really is.  A person often has these nice things in their fridge because they like them, too.  I can pull together a quick bruchetta with what I have in my home right now.  I keep a box of coffee cake mix in my pantry.  There are 6 kinds of cheese in my fridge, sliced meat, 4 different types of olives, fresh veggies, and crackers available.  There is hummus, pita chips, and quick-cook na'an hiding in there.

If a friend comes over, I have the knowledge of what is good together because I like these things.  They won't expire before I use them because they get eaten regardless if we have company.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Take a minute and buy something each week that treats yourself.  This is the secret.

It really is.  A person often has these nice things in their fridge because they like them, too.  I can pull together a quick bruchetta with what I have in my home right now.  I keep a box of coffee cake mix in my pantry.  There are 6 kinds of cheese in my fridge, sliced meat, 4 different types of olives, fresh veggies, and crackers available.  There is hummus, pita chips, and quick-cook na'an hiding in there.

If a friend comes over, I have the knowledge of what is good together because I like these things.  They won't expire before I use them because they get eaten regardless if we have company.

This right here. If you have food in the house, but nothing you would feel comfortable offering to company, you are buying the wrong food. 

Apropos of this thread: last night while waiting for chicken to cook, my husband put together a nice little appetizer plate: a few olives, some tomato confit I had made in an effort not to toss some aging tomatoes, some cheese, a few slices of salami, and water crackers. We usually have all of those things except the tomatoes. Most of it is stuff that will last a while in the fridge or pantry. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Triple Dip Platter with only 1 item that isn’t a pantry staple:

Get your prettiest platter and 3 small bowls.

Bowl 1: Jarred Salsa

Bowl 2: Sour cream mixed with chili powder or taco seasoning, then put a little spoonful of salsa on top

Bowl 3: Warm Bean Dip: Rinse and drain a can of black beans. Season with garlic powder & onion powder then warm with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water. Mash to desired texture with a potato masher or fork. Put a spoonful of the sour cream on top

Arrange the bowls on the platter and surround with tortilla chips

Edited by pinball
Format
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, pinball said:

Bowl 3: Warm Bean Dip: Rinse and drain a can of black beans. Season with garlic powder & onion powder then warm with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water. Mash to desired texture with a potato masher or fork. 

Perfect for passing!  🙂  

Seriously, thanks for this.  I have a bunch of cans of beans that I need to use eventually and this sounds perfect.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’d suggest what others have said—basically a little charcuterie board. But what I really think takes that simple snack to another level is the presentation. You could get a small wood board (available anywhere like home goods, tjmaxx, etc). Then go to Aldi and buy some of their fancier cheeses (still a good price), pepperonis/salamis, olives, crackers. Those all keep for a long time unopened, so I’d just designate a little space for them to sit unused. If they don’t get eaten by guests in a few weeks, your family can eat them and you can refresh your supply. 

Option 2: Buy Aldi sliced sourdough and put it in the freezer. Buy a nice chunk of cheese. Buy some bruschetta from anywhere. When guests come, you can toast the slices straight from the freezer and they taste delicious. 

As a previous poster said, have a little chocolate on hand (Moser from Aldi is delish) and break it up into pieces on your serving board for a little bit of a sweet offering.  

Edited by mmasc
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pinball said:

This would be dinner for me, LOL

Probably mostly was for me too. Snacky meals have always been my favorite.

"Girl dinner" isn't a new concept despite social media calling it a trend. 😁

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, goldberry said:

Don't need fancy!  Just want to be more hospitable. 

As to this, it really depends on what your friends typically like. My friends aren’t as into charcuterie board so presenting them one would not be my idea of hospitable. Instead, store bought butter cookies would be hospitable because that’s what they like and bring back strong childhood camaraderie memories of eating cookies together. There are other snacks that my friends like that aren’t fancy but caters to them and their kids e.g. Pocky,  Pirouette, Sara Lee pound cake. These options aren’t healthy but we don’t meet at people’s homes that often so the aim is more towards feel at home and feel free to raid my snack stash.

I used to keep a box of frozen chicken nuggets at home when my kids were little because air fried or oven baked chicken nuggets were convenient food for young guests. My friends would eat as well with their kids.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, goldberry said:

I think you’re on the right track. There’s a distinct difference between entertaining and hospitality.

Entertainment has elements of performance in it, even when it’s something you like to do. For example, I love decorating a tabletop because I find themes fun and I like to put things together like that. However, table decorations don’t make anyone any more comfortable in my home, and in fact, may overwhelm them in some instances and make them less comfortable. 

Hospitality, on the other hand, makes people comfortable no matter what the setting. Hospitality is about the dignity of all, a warm welcome, a listening ear, including others in your life, and meeting needs when you can. That’s where food comes in.

In the US, food often acts as a cultural ice breaker. It’s offering a cup of coffee and learning simple things about each other through that ritual. It’s about opening a can of soup (or in our case getting some out of the freezer) for someone who hasn’t had time to eat lunch (meeting need). It’s about having a plate of cookies so someone has something to do with their hands (really - and Oreos are a great choice). Including people as you prepare these things provides more opportunity to make people comfortable. Allow people to put their own dishes in the dishwasher if they offer, or to throw their own trash away (including people in daily life). Who among us hasn’t spent an entire visit in our host’s kitchen? That’s hospitality. For this introvert, that’s the most important thing. I find I am much less anxious about interacting with others when I have hospitality as my focus. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bambam said:

This  would not be entirely random, there would definitely be a call or text first.  We live kind of rural.  So sometimes friends are "in our area" rather than 30-45 minutes away.  Also...I HATE going to the grocery store.  Kind of weird but it is what it is.  So I'm not a "run to the store" kind of person.  If I have to go the store last minute, I'm inclined to chuck the whole thing.  DH usually goes to the store for me, but during the summer he is often out of town for work, so that's why I'm trying to be more social. If I have things already here, I am more inclined to say, hey, stop by!  Maybe this helps make more sense of my post!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eos said:

Cheese plate and chocolate is my go-to. Even if it's just the cheddar you put on sandwiches and your hidden box of crackers, you can pretty it up in two minutes by having a nice small tray, a little bowl for olives and another one for jam, lay the cracker stash in a straggly line, chunk up a chocolate bar into small pieces, add a little wooden spreader that you've bought to become a hostess and all you need are some napkins and a drink. Done!

Hidden pantry stash for the above: box of interesting crackers, olives, preserves (pepper jelly, membrillo, even plain strawberry is fine,) fancy bar of chocolate, fizzy water or wine. Equipment needed: tray, wooden spreader, two small bowls, napkins, glasses.

Love this, thank you for being so specific! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, klmama said:

I used to buy Edward's frozen pies whenever they were on sale, so we were always prepared to take a pie to an event or serve it to guests.  People always asked for the recipe. 

That's hilarious. I like almost any kind of frozend Edward's pie, but anyone who thinks they look homemade has never made a pie, lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for all the ideas.  I'm sure this seems really basic for some of you, but this just does not some naturally for me.  I am envious of friends who can always throw something tasty together.  It is always so welcoming and enjoyable.  

• Like 2

I'm like one of the above posters: I can offer nice things because I eat nice things. If I have a guest, they get a serving of whatever tasty good stuff is on my own lunch menu -- then I don't have as much for myself for the week, but it's fine. Nothing goes bad though!

• Like 3