Menu

Obama (the cat) is missing

Terabith

Obama the cat, I mean.  We haven't seen him since Friday.  Accepting prayers but not feeling hopeful at this point.  I mean, he has stayed gone for up to a week several times, but I don't recall him doing it when we weren't out of town.  My husband says he has, and he has a better memory than I do.  But, I'm worried.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Sad 28

• Terabith changed the title to Obama (the cat) is missing

Oh, I'm so sorry! 

When our cat went missing, we were (yes, yes, horrible people) mostly not too sad about it. But I can hear that you are, so I pray he finds his way home! 

(our cat was the most annoying cat on the planet, and we really are good pet parents, but ummm, she was horrible). 

15 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I'm so sorry about your darling cat, and I hope with all my heart he returns to you soon

Thank you, @Terabith.  I appreciate your consideration!  Now to praying for the kitty's safe return. If he is the one in your avatar, that is one cutie pie. (And I'm not, in general, a kitty-type of person. LOL!)

• Like 1

Praying that Obama will return home soon!

Have you called shelters, rescue organizations, animal control, and local vets? How about posting on Ring, NextDoor, and any local Facebook groups? Did you hang flyers all over your area? Can you go door to door and ask your neighbors to check their garages and sheds, and under their porches and decks?

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

I hope he's back safe and sound very soon.

This is unusual, but we had a cat missing for a long time and discovered she adopted a family down the street!  She ended up staying there for about a year and then came home like nothing happened and stayed with us until she died many years later.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hope he comes home. I believe the common wisdom is that usually cats (at least the ones who have been spayed/neutered) don't tend to go far? We know someone whose cat went on walkabout for ten days and then came home and acted like it had only been gone for ten minutes.

• Like 1

Yes, he’s been neutered.  We have a decent idea of his range, which isn’t far, but includes a lot of spaces we don’t have access to, like backyards and he uses the sewers like streets.  He is the cat in the avatar.  And he is a massive jerk.   We found him on a street as a small kitten (like unfamiliar with solid food or water, about six weeks old),  but he’s always been kind of feral.  He loves my husband and my youngest. Has never liked me.  But I feel a responsibility to him.  

• Like 2

When we still had indoor/outdoor cats, one of ours was missing for a year. Other times he'd go missing for a few days or a couple of weeks. We help care for one feral cat who will disappear for 3-4 days. Hopefully, your little kitty has just gone on a jaunt and will be hope soon. I'll be thinking of you. Even if they have a history of disappearing, it's still worrying when they do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

When we still had indoor/outdoor cats, one of ours was missing for a year.

Wow. Did kitty just show back up one day?

We had a cat appear in our back yard on Christmas Day. Very skittish but not feral. It took awhile to befriend her to the point that I knew I could safely get her in a crate, so it was the first week of March before I could get her to the vet. I spent $$$ to find out she was already spayed (no tattoo or ear notch; only found out after an incision was made) but not microchipped. Around the time she showed up I kept an eye out for signs or FB posts about a missing cat fitting her description, but . . nothing. We'll take care of her, but I'd be quite happy to send her back home to somebody.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Innisfree said:

In cases like this, I’d wonder if a neighbor had adopted her and kept her inside until she could slip out again. 

That is what happened - adopted by neighbor, but as an outdoor cat.  About 1/2 mile down the road.  We happened to see her there one day.  I don't know how long she was there before then, but she did eventually show up at our house again.  So strange!  She had never wandered off before then or after.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Wow. Did kitty just show back up one day?

We had a cat appear in our back yard on Christmas Day. Very skittish but not feral. It took awhile to befriend her to the point that I knew I could safely get her in a crate, so it was the first week of March before I could get her to the vet. I spent $$$ to find out she was already spayed (no tattoo or ear notch; only found out after an incision was made) but not microchipped. Around the time she showed up I kept an eye out for signs or FB posts about a missing cat fitting her description, but . . nothing. We'll take care of her, but I'd be quite happy to send her back home to somebody.

Yep, just showed up at the back door asking to come in, as if he'd never been gone. We had adopted another cat during that year and he didn't give one fig. 

That's how we ended up with one of our cats. She showed up on our porch howling as if a hellhound was on her heels. I took her to the vet, she was fine, she tested negative for feline diseases and was fixed. Like you, we looked for a family but could never find one and she's still here 5 years later. Now I wouldn't give her back for anything in the world.

• Like 2

No Obama yet. I’m not feeling hopeful. He is pretty much terrified of everyone who isn’t us or our former housemate.  He has disappeared when we were out of town for a week before, but I don’t recall him staying gone more than 24 hours when we were home. He both almost always comes when called and has a regular schedule.  I’ve checked on next door and with most of the local shelters.  Next up is making signs but our neighbors aren’t really the sign reading type.  

• Sad 10

Can you look around under and behind things? Once I found one of my cats who had uncharacteristically failed to come when called, too late, at the back of an open shed. No idea what happened to her. I had tried to look everywhere, but missed that spot. I would have been so glad to have a chance to get her to the vet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Can you look around under and behind things? Once I found one of my cats who had uncharacteristically failed to come when called, too late, at the back of an open shed. No idea what happened to her. I had tried to look everywhere, but missed that spot. I would have been so glad to have a chance to get her to the vet.

We don’t have any sheds or anything on our property that he could have gotten into, and I can’t really go rummaging through my neighbors’ property, not that many of them have sheds.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

and I can’t really go rummaging through my neighbors’ property

You can with their permission.

”Hi, I’m Jane. I live at 33 Oak Lane. My cat is missing. May I look in your yard for it?”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

No Obama yet. I’m not feeling hopeful. He is pretty much terrified of everyone who isn’t us or our former housemate.  He has disappeared when we were out of town for a week before, but I don’t recall him staying gone more than 24 hours when we were home. He both almost always comes when called and has a regular schedule.  I’ve checked on next door and with most of the local shelters.  Next up is making signs but our neighbors aren’t really the sign reading type.  

You could tuck the flyers by the neighbors' mailbox flags, if you think they won't read signs that you post. (You can't put them directly into the mailboxes because that's illegal, but I'm sure you would get away with putting them by the flags on the outside of the mailboxes.) I would wait until the mail was delivered and then I'd go around and distribute them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One other thing -- if you think the neighbors will ignore your signs, make sure to put Obama's picture on them (as large as possible.)

Most people will notice a cute cat photo way before they will read a general "lost cat" poster. Also, the neighbor kids will probably notice Obama's picture, too, and they are the most likely people to have seen him around the area, because kids are outside more than their parents are.

If you offer a reward, you might get more interest in helping you find him.

And if your neighborhood has a Next Door group, people are surprisingly helpful about trying to locate lost pets, and a lot of people really go out of their way to search their yards/garages/sheds/porches, as well as to keep their eyes open when they are driving around and taking walks around the neighborhood. Also be sure to ask people to check their Ring cameras and other security cameras for Obama sightings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We know someone whose cat went on walkabout for ten days and then came home and acted like it had only been gone for ten minutes.

Quoting myself to point out that ^^this^^ person guessed that their cat had been in someone's shed or basement when she returned, because she smelled musty. So yes, if you make posters ask if people would check, or at least say something like "may have gone into a shed or basement."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

One other thing -- if you think the neighbors will ignore your signs, make sure to put Obama's picture on them (as large as possible.)

Most people will notice a cute cat photo way before they will read a general "lost cat" poster. Also, the neighbor kids will probably notice Obama's picture, too, and they are the most likely people to have seen him around the area, because kids are outside more than their parents are.

If you offer a reward, you might get more interest in helping you find him.

And if your neighborhood has a Next Door group, people are surprisingly helpful about trying to locate lost pets, and a lot of people really go out of their way to search their yards/garages/sheds/porches, as well as to keep their eyes open when they are driving around and taking walks around the neighborhood. Also be sure to ask people to check their Ring cameras and other security cameras for Obama sightings.

Especially if you have neighbors with outdoor cats who have cameras. We have critter cams on the back ponds, and we see all the neighborhood cats who come by to drink (and, I suspect eat our frogs). 

• Like 3

Our neighborhood is now plastered with posters with his picture very large.  I spoke to a number of our neighbors.  One of them speaks English (and knows who all of our cats are and their names.  She has a toddler.).  

He has a chip with our number attached.  I've checked with the places he'd be likely to be taken to, based on geography.  But if he got hurt in a sewer, I'm not sure if he'd be found or who would even know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I'm really sorry.  Another place you could hang a sign is a at a local grocery store or post office, where more people beyond just your immediate neighborhood could see it.   You never know.  

Our dd had a cat who was missing for a month once!  We think he was startled by something and ran under a pickup truck.  We didn't know this at the time.  But a month later, our dd suddenly got a call from a farm family about 12 miles away.  The woman said that she had been in town shopping a month earlier, and when she arrived back at the farm, a cat jumped out from under her truck.  He must've been tucked away in there somewhere safe, and he made the drive to her farm okay but then ran off to the nearby woods.  The woman left some food and water outside and now and then the cat would quietly come up and get some, but would aways run away if anyone got too close.  

A month later, the woman's son was in town and saw one of the missing cat signs in a public area and recognized him as the cat who had hitchhiked home with his mother!  Our dd drove out there and walked around in the woods calling his name, and he came running to her!  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 8

Take fliers to all the local vets. If he got hurt, someone may have taken him to their own vet vs one that might be closer to you. Or someone in the waiting room  might see it who remembers seeing him. This is one of those times when there is no such thing as too much exposure. I am so sorry you all are going through this. Not knowing is awful.

• Like 3

Aww I'm sorry.  I loved following Obama's adventures and his name cracks me up every time I see it. 

One of our kitty babies died unexpectedly this past weekend.  That kitty was an ornery diva her whole life.  But she was a little shadow and followed me around.  But it's always hard to lose a beloved kitty baby.  I hope Obama comes to his senses wherever he is and comes home!  ❤️  

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, Eos said:

I'm so sorry @Terabith. He has given the hive much joy, a beloved kitty here and at your home.

Yes to this. I know he gives you trouble but here at the hive we've watched him grow up. We're his kitty aunties.

I hope he finds his way home and not just because of us at WTM. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, catz said:

One of our kitty babies died unexpectedly this past weekend.  That kitty was an ornery diva her whole life.  But she was a little shadow and followed me around.  But it's always hard to lose a beloved kitty baby. 

Deepest sympathy. ❤️🐾🌈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Terabith said:

Our neighborhood is now plastered with posters with his picture very large.  I spoke to a number of our neighbors.  One of them speaks English (and knows who all of our cats are and their names.  She has a toddler.).  

He has a chip with our number attached.  I've checked with the places he'd be likely to be taken to, based on geography.  But if he got hurt in a sewer, I'm not sure if he'd be found or who would even know.

I’ve had cats and a dog be gone for an extended time and they came back. There is still hope. Hold old is he?

• Like 1