Menu

Do you like to wear oversized men’s hoodies?

Indigo Blue

It’s that time of year for hoodies. I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with them. If you want to put them on after you fix your hair, it’s a bit difficult. The weight of the hood makes the entire hoodie slide downward and backward off my shoulders, unless I wear a t shirt underneath which gives the hoodie something to “stick” to to stop the sliding. I’m constantly pulling and tugging at it otherwise.  I don’t like wearing shirts under other shirts. I feel smothered and get hot. 

Dh gets so many of them for free from one of his contractors. Printed with their company logo. They have been very good quality! 

This year I asked him to get me a men’s medium. I like it with leggings and tennis shoes. It’s super long and baggy. It doesn’t seem to slide as bad as some, but I do need to wear a shirt underneath. 

Do you wear super baggy hoodies?

• Like 1

My teens’ hoodies have zips so its easy to wear. They have long wavy/curly hair.
e.g. DS17 has the older version of this https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/john-varvatos-star-usa-double-layer-zip-hoodie?ID=3575503&pla_country=US

DS18’s https://www.ugg.com/men-apparel-hoodies-sweatshirts/gordon-zipped-hoodie/1103584.html

My kids wear size S in men, I wear XS in women. So wearing their hoodies would be nicely oversized for me. 

When I wear a hoodie or any winterwear with hood, I wear a cap and put the hood over. That way, the hood doesn’t droop down and hit my glasses. 

• Like 1

I usually like sleek solid or striped sweaters, slightly fitted. I think they're most flattering. But last year on Spring break we went to one of those indoor waterparks in Wisconsin Dells, and they had a hoodie in their gift shop that was so crazy soft I found the item number on the laundry tag and traced them to a place I could buy them without the imprint in bulk. I bought every color. I then went on to wear those hoodies and leggings and looked like a total slob for the rest of the winter. It didn't matter though, because I wore knee high boots with a knee length coat every time I left the house, so my lazy but oh so comfy look was a family secret. Luckily DH doesn't care if I ever get out of pajamas.

This year I found a barefoot dreams cowl neck tunic sweater that's so soft I thought it would replace the hoodies. But alas, it shed so much in my car I'm not sure I can stand the linty mess.

• Like 4

I don't wear hoodies (don't like the extra bulk of a hood I'd never use), but I do love oversized sweatshirts and sweaters. Probably not a great look for me since I'm very short and oversized stuff probably makes me look like I'm a toddler playing dress up in adult clothes, but I value comfy and cozy vastly more than I value looks.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Katy said:

I usually like sleek solid or striped sweaters, slightly fitted. I think they're most flattering. But last year on Spring break we went to one of those indoor waterparks in Wisconsin Dells, and they had a hoodie in their gift shop that was so crazy soft I found the item number on the laundry tag and traced them to a place I could buy them without the imprint in bulk. I bought every color. I then went on to wear those hoodies and leggings and looked like a total slob for the rest of the winter. It didn't matter though, because I wore knee high boots with a knee length coat every time I left the house, so my lazy but oh so comfy look was a family secret. Luckily DH doesn't care if I ever get out of pajamas.

This year I found a barefoot dreams cowl neck tunic sweater that's so soft I thought it would replace the hoodies. But alas, it shed so much in my car I'm not sure I can stand the linty mess.

I need hoodies in every colour under the sun. Can you share your source?

• Like 2

Not often because they aren't practical for me. The hood gets in the way of a coat, and if it's not cold enough for a proper coat then I'm likely overhot anyway. I love cozy sweaters and sweatshirts but rarely get to wear them, or if I do I usually have to remove it if I'm active at all. I'm the person walking around in the middle of a northern New England winter wearing a t shirt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I like to feel snuggly, cover my butt, and not have “pull” around my ample tatas.

I don't have the ample tatas, but I do love the snuggly feeling and butt coverage of oversize hoodies.  I wear them a lot at home, but I don't like them for going out much because it's just too much bulk under a coat.  I love long cardigans too, but then I have the problem of my cardigans being longer than my coat.  This is why I just want to stay home.  😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a couple hoodies that I wear infrequently for reasons similar to the OP. I kind of wish hoodies were more cozy for me, but they seem to end up being too much bulk of material in many places, with limited flexibility for quick cooling when needed. 😉  I end up wearing more cardigans or jackets with zippers as they offer more flexibility.

My dd wears hoodies almost daily, and they are fitted to her petit size. She seems to love them. My boys wear hoodles quite a bit. My dh wears them almost daily. 

• Like 2

I love love love love hoodies. Like, instead of a t-shirt, I bought a Taylor Swift oversized hoodie at her concert in the middle of summer. Because, I can never have too many hoodies. 

My super favorite one ever is one I found last year - merino wool blend, and I normally wear XS in this company's clothing (Wool&), but I knew I wanted a comfy cozy snuggly hoodie, not a "fits me properly" hoodie, so I bought it in Medium. It's perfect!  Long enough to cover my bum, roomy enough to not be restrictive, without the bulk of being truly oversized (and the sleeves are just right). 

For anyone interested, it's this one -- https://wooland.com/products/everett-hoodie-tunic-forest-night (well mine is burgundy); these would be the hoodies I'm saving up for in the "what are you saving for" thread....(I plan to add the marine blue, the marionberry, and maybe one more eventually.....)

• Like 2

I like hoodies for cold days when I'm not going to take it off. 

On a super cheesy note the best ones are the ones that DH has worn because then they smell like him and I can smell him all day. On the company swag, DH will just get some of the stuff in my size and things fit better when they are in your size.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

No. I can’t stand when sleeves get in the way, especially at the sink. I am much more a 3/4 length sleeve sort of gal. 

I only buy sweaters and sweatshirts that have sleeves that can be rolled or pushed up and that will stay. I hate any clothing below my elbows.

• Like 4

My fall & winter "uniform" at home is joggers, tee shirt, and either a hoody or flannel shirt. The flannel shirts are oversized but the hoodies are regular size because I hate long baggy sleeves getting in the way when I'm cooking or washing up or doing anything messy — with flannels or fitted hoodies I can roll up the sleeves and they stay up, but with oversized hoodies it's too bulky and they just fall down. I also don't like ribbing at the bottom or on the sleeves and prefer hoodies with a regular hem. I have a 10-yr-old Prana pullover hoody that's super stretchy and comfortable, with no ribbing or drawstrings, and I practically live in that all winter. I only wear hoodies & joggers around the house, though; if I go out I change into jeans and a sweater (and put on a bra).

OTOH, my 5' tall 100 lb DD lives in men's XL hoodies, leggings, and bedroom slippers, and she wears them pretty much everywhere including out of the house.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

No. I can’t stand when sleeves get in the way, especially at the sink. I am much more a 3/4 length sleeve sort of gal. 

22 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Same. It’s why I want to wear them, but then they aggravate me. 

DS18 has a short sleeve hoodie https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Standard-Short-Sleeve-Heather/dp/B09X6FR291/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

I have one short sleeve hoodie like that that I bought in a men’s department somewhere. I do love it for the reasons @Corraleno mentioned above, no sleeves, no bottom ribbing. I could probably use another but I tend to get overheated. I will say I like it under a coat when it’s really cold out, because I have something pulled up to keep the cold and wind from creeping down my neck, but also don’t feel like Randy in A Christmas Story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Pullover hoodies are my whole fall through spring wardrobe. Always with a t-shirt underneath.

Some are baggy, some fit more true to size. Some are thinner material, some thicker. Carhartts are the warmest.

This all the way down to the Carhartts.  When it's really cold I will have a long sleeved t-shirt and a crew neck sweatshirt underneath as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Maybe we need these: 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.4266973cb8314c09379c175d1fee5019.jpeg

I actually want one for at home, lol. I mean… if they catch on, that’d be great so I don’t have to get changed to go out!

A friend and I were talking about winning hundreds of millions of dollars. She wants fancy jewelry. I want an entire closet of hoodies, leggings, and cool sneakers. I’ll probably also do slouchy socks.

I guess summer will get muscle Ts and bike shorts, and a new pair of $3 flip flops each day. 🤣

No stilettos. Ever. Thank goodness Dh is practically my height!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fraidycat said:

I need hoodies in every colour under the sun. Can you share your source?

Yep, here you go. They’re not super high quality (there is some pilling), and they’re standard sized, not oversized (I do have an ample chest). The colors available vary over time, but they seem to have frequent sales. 

https://www.independenttradingco.com/products/womens-california-wave-wash-hoodie-prm2500

• Like 3

I do have large hoodies - I use them as pajamas. I am a womens XS or S so I usually buy the mens equivalent. I am notoriously cold when I sleep and my duvet is usually taken by my husband/children so it's my solution. I usually wear leggings with the hoodies and I'm comfortable and warm. 

• Like 1

I love wearing oversized hoodies.  I probably have around 20 of them.  Some plain, some from places we visit or organizations we belong to.  I love them and used to wear them year round because dh likes air conditioning and I would get chilled easily.   Now I'm having hot flashes or at least running warm so I don't get to wear them as often.  I'm super looking forward to winter so I can wear them again.  

I do wear them over a tshirt (especially these days) and I have no problem wearing them out of the house.  I don't care if they make me look bigger than I already am.

I do almost always get men's hoodies because I hate sleeves that come too short and I want them big.  

• Like 1

I wear hoodies, either Womens a size or two up, or a Mens. I always wear a tee or tank underneath.   In the winter it’s a flannel or a hoodie and jeans everyday for casual wear.  I love them, and I use the hood part sometimes outside to keep the wind out of my ears.

I wear boyfriend's hoodies sometimes when I am cold and want to be warm and cozy. He is very particular about fabrics and has some nice ones. LOL I have probably a dozen fitted zip-front hoodies from working in pharmacy, but his are baggy and pull over. Aside from maybe a drive thru run, I don't wear his clothes out of the house. That being said, I just took of his hoodie I wore for the past 3 days. I was sick and for some reason, I prefer his clothes to mine when I don't feel good, so maybe he knows more about shopping for clothes than I do!

• Like 1

Not a hoodie or oversized clothing wearer here. I do like light zip-up jacket/top, which is what I’m wearing right now and really like for layering for changing weather conditions. The one I’m wearing is plaid flannel from LL Bean (women’s). But sweatshirt-type hoodies are too bulky, hot, heavy and strangling for me. I don’t wear them at all.