Menu

Have you had your latest Covid vaccine yet? (Edited…not a booster)

Scarlett

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

Everyone I know reacted to the first shingle shot. I had my first fever in almost 30 years with it.

The first and second shots, the very first set that had to be done as a pair, both wiped me out, especially the second one.  Each only for about a day though.  Having Covid definitely had more than 1 day of symptoms.   

I had no real side effects from any of the boosters though.  I think I was a bit more tired, maybe a bit more easily winded for a day or two, but nothing truly noticeable unless I tried the stairs too quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frances said:

Everyone I know reacted to the first shingle shot. I had my first fever in almost 30 years with it.

The shingles vax was a doozy but soooooooooooo worth it! I was counting down the days until I was eligible; shingles sounds like a nightmare.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

No, not necessarily true. For DH's type of cancer CT is the gold standard. For whatever reason(s) it picks that type of cancer up better than other types of scans. MRIs are used if brain or bone metastasis are suspected. PET scans aren't used much at all. I really do think it depends on the specific thing(s) being looked for, even down to exactly what type of cancer is being looked for.

Ok makes sense. DH had a pet scan immediately following an ultrasound, skipped the CT altogether. I think the doc wanted to check for spread immediately, but yes I see it does probably vary depending on specific types of cancer. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

The shingles vax was a doozy but soooooooooooo worth it! I was counting down the days until I was eligible; shingles sounds like a nightmare.

The actual shot was what I found painful! The doc injecting me said it was mostly due to the amount of serum, apparently it’s more fluid getting pushed in than many other vaccines. My arm was sore for several hours but went away by end of day. The next day I was tired and had a slight headache but not really any other symptoms. Hoping the second shot will be as easy for me. 

• Like 3

Not yet, but I'll be getting mine. 

I have a sort of unfortunate choice here, because last time I got the vaccine, I had a headache for a month, but last time I got COVID, I was exhausted and my heart rate was funky for 3 months 😂. So . . . the vaccine is the lesser of 2 evils so far, but they're definitely both evils!!! 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, math teacher said:

What is the reason for not taking allergy meds close to the vaccinations?

I am wondering this, too. DD takes allergy meds so she may want this info.

All of us plan to get both the covid booster and a flu shot sometime in the next month. DH is old enough for the RSV vax and got that two weeks ago. I prefer to only do one at a time and I am trying to optimize timing if possible. DD already got a flu shot last week at her annual physical, but I plan to do mine later in October.

Any thoughts on Pfizer vs Moderna? We each have various combinations of the two. DS is 25 and had Pfizer for the last two (after 2 initial Modernas) since that was supposed to have a lower risk of myocarditis in that age group. DS25 has autism, cognitive delays, and is non-verbal and I want to minimize side-effects for him. I, on the other hand, had Moderna last time after 3 Pfizers in case mixing and matching was advantageous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, math teacher said:

What is the reason for not taking allergy meds close to the vaccinations?

It was on one of the papers they gave me, but I'm not sure which vaccine or why. It might have been for the shingles.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Is there still evidence the booster does not do anything beyond preventing hospitalization and death? (Not anecdotally.) My husband said he thought we now need to pay for this. I am NOT in the know. Thanks! 

Almost all insurance companies will cover it, but it is true that it’s costing them more than prior boosters as the government subsidies are gone (or greatly reduced). If your insurance company truly isn’t covering it, you likely can get it for a greatly reduced price at your county health department. I think primarily it is to prevent serious complications, hospitalizations, and death, but for a period of time, I think it can also help prevent infections. That’s why they recommend getting it before a surge if you can somehow time it. Take a look in the Covid thread for more links and articles about the vaccines. If you’ve had Covid, got the previous vaccines, and have no increased risk factors, it’s probably not as critical to get this one. 

• Like 4

Planning to get it soon.

I react badly to (all) shots, so I dread this season. I was hospitalized after three of my four Covid shots, breezed through the fourth with just “normal” side effects — 102 temp, aches and pains.

I want to clarify, though: my bad reaction and being hospitalized due to reactions has nothing to do with the type of shot. It wasn’t the Covid shot, it would have been any shot, at the time. We know that now.

In fact, I had a flu shot last Friday, a week ago, and am having some medium-scary reactions. We are monitoring closely and I’m hoping to avoid the ER, but it’s the same thing that happened post-Covid shots. 

So, once this round of post-flu shot misery settles down, I will get the Covid shot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

14 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Is there still evidence the booster does not do anything beyond preventing hospitalization and death? (Not anecdotally.) My husband said he thought we now need to pay for this. I am NOT in the know. Thanks! 

All ACA-compliant insurance plans are required to cover ACIP-recommended vaccines with no copayment. If you are uninsured, you can get free covid vaccines at certain CVS and Walgreens through the Biden administration's Bridge Access Program. On the vaccines.gov website, after you enter your location and click the vaccine you want to get, you can filter by locations that participate in the Bridge Access Program. The program will remain in effect through December 2024.

• Like 7

On 9/28/2023 at 8:59 AM, Grace Hopper said:

So how many shots have y’all had so far?

However many have been available. Four? Five? I had the initial two then a booster. Then a second booster. Was there a third? I can't remember. I had the most recent one a few weeks ago. Anyway however many have been available so far is how many I've had. I only had a reaction to the second shot when it first came out in 2021. I had Moderna and was tired and achy for about 12 hours. That's it other than a really, really sore arm with all but the last one. I didn't get the sore arm with this most recent booster.

I look forward to the day when the covid vaccine is just an annual shot like the flu shot and I don't have to keep going to get boosters.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

However many have been available. Four? Five? I had the initial two then a booster. Then a second booster. Was there a third? I can't remember. I had the most recent one a few weeks ago. Anyway however many have been available so far is how many I've had. I only had a reaction to the second shot when it first came out in 2021. I had Moderna and was tired and achy for about 12 hours. That's it other than a really, really sore arm with all but the last one. I didn't get the sore arm with this most recent booster.

I look forward to the day when the covid vaccine is just an annual shot like the flu shot and I don't have to keep going to get boosters.

The second shot was the only one I had symptoms from, too. I’ve had all Pfizer. 

I had my fourth covid booster Aug 2022 and I am going to schedule Covid and flu shots together soon, so in a way that’s become an annual shot for me. I’ll probably do it that way from now on unless an extremely contagious strain arises. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, MEmama said:

One of my fellow teachers years ago had shingles and was in what she described as unbearable pain. At the time she was what I thought of as an older woman but was likely the age I am now. She was out for several months and ended up with what's known as a permanent substitute for the rest of the school year. She tried to come back once but had to have someone cover her classroom so she could leave - it was just too painful to even sit at her desk and give her students busy work. 

When the shingles vaccine became available and I became eligible I went right away to get it. My memory of what she went through made the decision and easy one for me.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I think that’s currently where we have landed this year, though for people in the immunocompromised group who were eligible for a 5th shot, they’ve not had a year since the last, and might always need to have more than one a year for optimal protection. I’ve gotten each that I’m eligible for as soon as each came out and it’s been a year for me now since my last one. 

Unfortunately, it’s kind of similar to flu shot in effectiveness. If we could somehow get back to a Covid shot that also prevented infection and transmission, I wouldn’t mind getting one however often!

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

One of my fellow teachers years ago had shingles and was in what she described as unbearable pain. At the time she was what I thought of as an older woman but was likely the age I am now. She was out for several months and ended up with what's known as a permanent substitute for the rest of the school year. She tried to come back once but had to have someone cover her classroom so she could leave - it was just too painful to even sit at her desk and give her students busy work. 

When the shingles vaccine became available and I became eligible I went right away to get it. My memory of what she went through made the decision and easy one for me.

Shingles terrifies me. I had an acquaintance years ago who had a terrible case along her midsection, but as a recovered addict she couldn’t take what she really needed to for pain. She spent a lot of time lying very still in a dark room. And an elder we know had an outbreak on the face, which affected one eye and threatened permanent vision loss (which didn’t happen, but was touch and go for weeks). With those cases in mind, I was thankful to know that a vaccine is available. Neither me nor my mom could remember me having chicken pox as a child, but when I applied to graduate school as a twenty-something, and a newlywed who might wish to become pregnant before to long, I had titers done to complete my vax records (required by school). It showed I had antibodies for varicella so I must have had it at some point. 

So now I have the screen up and when I scheduled the flu and CV shots, I was asked if I wanted to do shingles at the same time. Thinking I might just do it. I don’t have anything major on the calendar for the next few days and have time to take it easy if I feel terrible. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I finally got us appointments this weekend, and then the pharmacist (Walgreens) said insurance wasn't going to pay. Still need to get a hold of insurance and figure it out  (it's been an insanely busy week). We ended up with flu shots only.

My family had 8 appts cancelled with CVS and Walgreens at different times. One was definitely due to lack of vaccine, but I wondered if some were because our insurance wasn't going through. 

When I called our insurance co, they said since Covid vaccines have been privatized we have to stay in-network for coverage. For our plan that means Discount Drug Mart, Giant Eagle, Rite Aid, Marc's, Meijer and CVS. Except CVS is having trouble converting their billing and there have been tons of issues, the rep said. 

And Walgreens is out of network, so that's a nope even though we got Covid vaccines there before. Dd21 ended up finding appts online at a random Meijer 30 min from our house. 

Nutshell is it may be worth calling your insurance co, because this is a total mess right now. I never would've guessed what was in and out of network for us, especially since it's covered by our medical plan which has a completely different network of pharmacies than our pharmacy plan! 

ETA: I'm going to post this separately as a PSA because others may benefit from calling insurance to clarify coverage. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No, it was slow coming into stock here, and then there was a back up for appointments at the only in net-work pharmacy in our area. I am schedule for Oct. 12. BUT, I may cancel it and reschedule to January. We just found out that our niece got engaged and is getting married in March. It will be a big wedding, and our only crowd event for 2024 since Mark and I really just do not do much congregating in groups these days. We N95 mask for grocery shopping and what not, and otherwise don't socialize except our little pod of elderly mothers and adult kids who also mask and are very careful. But brother in law and family are NOT careful. They believe the guest list will be 250 people, so if 80% attend, that's 200 people all in close quarters indoors. We are thinking it might be best to hunker down here and just keep being extra careful, and then get our boosters at the end of January or beginning of February so we hopefully have really good immunity for the wedding. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, annandatje said:

I have not had my booster yet because covid finally caught up with me.  Supposedly you should wait 4-6 months after infection to get booster.  If you are 60 or over, you should not wait six months.  Guess I’ll get it in 2-4 months.  Have never had any side effects from any of the covid shots.

I thought it was 90 days. 

7 hours ago, KSera said:

I think that’s currently where we have landed this year, though for people in the immunocompromised group who were eligible for a 5th shot, they’ve not had a year since the last, and might always need to have more than one a year for optimal protection. I’ve gotten each that I’m eligible for as soon as each came out and it’s been a year for me now since my last one. 

Unfortunately, it’s kind of similar to flu shot in effectiveness. If we could somehow get back to a Covid shot that also prevented infection and transmission, I wouldn’t mind getting one however often!

I am confused. Are you saying current vaccine is less effective than earlier vaccines?

30 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am confused. Are you saying current vaccine is less effective than earlier vaccines?

Right. The original vaccine was somewhere in the 96% or so effective against infection. It was really, really, really good. Then the virus mutated enough to greatly decrease that. Still highly effective against severe illness and death, but not nearly as effective at preventing infection as the original was at the time it came out. It would be such a game changer be back to having some thing that prevented infection and transmission.

Don’t get me wrong, I am so grateful we have vaccines that reduce the risk of serious illness and death so much, and they have saved hundreds of thousands of lives, I’d just love it if people didn’t have to keep getting Covid and compounding the long-term health risks of having Covid (and if I didn’t have to wear an N95 in public forevermore 😭).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had flu and the new Moderna (previous have all been Pfizer) on Saturday noon.  Both in my left arm.

Saturday was fine.  It was a tiny bit tender last night during the night.

Today I got a slight headache mid morning and have been more tired today…..but I had a busier Sunday than normal so….

if it makes a difference I am early 50s and get yearly flu shots and have had the COVID series and the boosters.

• Like 8

Dh and I got the Covid booster and flu shot yesterday, no side effects for either of us except mildly sore arms. Today I felt good enough for a 7 mile hike in the Camden hills; we both noticed that despite drinking all the water the days leading up to our vax (as we always do), we both got really dehydrated on our hike. It was warm (like 70) but not excessively so. Not sure if it's related.

• Like 5

DS and I got ours yesterday. It’s been roughly a year since our last, and then we had COVID right after that. My shot last year was not a big deal (my first to not make me tired and achy). This one is making me achy and sore (all my large joints and major muscle groups). I’ve been up late reading, so not sure if fatigue is from the shot. DS is a bit tired and achy too. Oh, some arm soreness, but for me, less so than any other time.

They didn’t give us vaccine cards this time.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I plan to get mine in the morning.  I’m nervous.  Idk why.   No one else I know is getting theirs.  

It was very easy for me. Sore arm for a few days. No other symptoms except maybe fatigue but that  could easily just be normal me these days . 

• Like 1

I am not easily finding Covid shots available here. And I do now have to worry about who is "in network" for my new insurance. They rattled off a bunch to me over the phone, but the ones I could remember don't have any appointments or don't have any Covid vaccine (not sure which). I will try calling my doctor's office today to see if I can get one there. Ideally I wanted to get both flu and covid vaccines for my disabled dd and myself on Friday because I don't have to teach on Monday. I don't think that will happen and I think I will have to go ahead and get the flu shot and wait some time for the Covid shot (Rite Aid has appointments in November--not sure they're "in network"). And I have students in several classes out with Covid or just returned from Covid.

DS was able to get both his Covid and flu shots--apparently not everyone is eligible (in Ireland) but I guess his list of health stuff qualified him. Thank goodness, because he gets seriously derailed if he gets sick. He could easily lose a semester.

If he hadn't qualified for the flu shot it's offered privately for something like $35. Our US insurance would cover it if he was charged. He reports the flu over there is a different strain and much worse than what we have in North America. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DS was able to get both his Covid and flu shots--apparently not everyone is eligible (in Ireland) but I guess his list of health stuff qualified him. Thank goodness, because he gets seriously derailed if he gets sick. He could easily lose a semester.

If he hadn't qualified for the flu shot it's offered privately for something like $35. Our US insurance would cover it if he was charged. He reports the flu over there is a different strain and much worse than what we have in North America. 

On the flu: that matches my limited experience. Our family had flu here one year, followed by EU flu later the same season. It was so much worse, not even comparable. It was beyond miserable. It took out a 70 person office over there that year, for a few weeks, too. I’m glad he could get a shot there.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:22 AM, Acadie said:

This is what I'm hearing too, that older vaccines--and prior infection--may not provide the protection they did with earlier variants.

And though the updated vaccine is a somewhat better match, we're still heading into uncharted waters with these newest variants. 

I really wanted to get the updated Novovax but the FDA is slow-walking approval again, even though CDC gave it a green light. And with the current surge and everyone in my family traveling, it just seemed like a good idea to get it done now. 

Still might find a creative way to get Novovax in 2-3 months. 

I really wanted to wait for Novovax also.  I can't seem to find any info on the timeline?  I'm wondering if I should keep waiting or go ahead and go for the usual booster.

• Like 1