Menu

Road trip van meal ideas

saraha

We are embarking on a 10 hour each way road trip to visit family and need some ideas to feed 8 people, youngest 12yo, that are all meat and potatoes, burgers and fries kind of people who are not excited about packing our meal. We will probably eat out on the way back, but we really really need to do this visit on the cheap.

Please hit me with your ideas!

Thanks!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

For that many people, I would be going for fast food drive thru and order off the dollar menu. If I were to pack food, I would be packing sandwiches the night before to chill in my fridge. I would also make german potato salad (it is a warm dish that can be eaten at room temperature) and add more bacon than the typical recipe calls for. 

• Like 2

Sometimes the idea of a packed lunch seems boring to my bunch so we just do filling snacks like protein granola bars, beef jersey, trail mix and things like that. This could work for lunch.

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For that many people, I would be going for fast food drive thru and order off the dollar menu. If I were to pack food, I would be packing sandwiches the night before to chill in my fridge. I would also make german potato salad (it is a warm dish that can be eaten at room temperature) and add more bacon than the typical recipe calls for. 

Yes order off the dollar menu and if you go to McDonald's you can download the app and get 20% off your order.

• Like 3

Oh, I would do charcuterie kind of stuff/build your own lunchable for picky eaters.  Crackers, salami, ham, meat sticks, cheese, fruit, maybe raw veggies if they will tolerate carrots, celery, etc.  Peeled boiled eggs are good and filling.  Maybe like yogurt or pudding in cups.  I'd pack trail mix, granola bars, nuts, extra fruit, maybe some individually bagged/wrapped snack items.  

• Like 10

My kids hate sandwiches but they’ll eat subs. Go figure. I’d pack up subs and chips and some sort of special drinks and sweets (a la little Debbie?) to make it better. 

But that can get pricey, too. Maybe lots of healthier/filling “side items” from home to supplement a $1 burger for each person. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 3

When we've done food on the road I try and plan something like bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, or make muffins and just deal with the inevitable crumbs.  Then my crew will usually do sandwiches or "snacky" foods for one meal, but if we wanted a second meal of the day that wasn't sandwich based (or when we are on a longer trip and don't want sandwiches every day), we have actually brought along a camping stove or single camping burner, and re-heated taco meat to make walking tacos, or re-heated soup or some other meal that can be precooked and heated in one pan.  Usually when we do this we pull of the road at a park to set up at a picnic table.  It makes for a longer stop (maybe 20 minutes to set-up/heat up/serve, but then you could return to the car to eat), but usually everyone appreciates a leg stretch if you are driving all day. 

ETA: Another thing we've done that is not very much $$ is order ahead from a pizza place in a town we'll be driving through for cheap pizza -- like Dominoes coupon deals.  Then we will try and have "side" items like veggies already in the car along with drinks so it is really just the cheap pizza we are getting.  Just don't forget to get the paper plates to go with it!

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 3

One other thought, and you can try it at home before you go to see if it would work out..we like biscuit balls, or miniature runzas.  They're not the healthiest thing. LOL  But we take canned biscuit dough, flatten it out, and add a hefty bit of filling:

• chicken, red onion, cheese, bbq sauce
  • hamburger, cheddar, onion, ketchup, relish
  • taco meat, cheese
  • chopped pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce

Then pull up the sides and pinch together to make a ball.  Place seam side down and bake as usual, brushing the top with a little bit of garlic butter if you want.  Let them cool completely before packing (or they may get a little soggy).

DS12 doesn't usually eat sandwiches, but this is something I can get him to nosh on and get in some carbs when he's having a high activity day.  They pack well in his bento box for longer trips so we don't run into the issue of no restaurants available on the way home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

One other thought, and you can try it at home before you go to see if it would work out..we like biscuit balls, or miniature runzas.  They're not the healthiest thing. LOL  But we take canned biscuit dough, flatten it out, and add a hefty bit of filling:

• chicken, red onion, cheese, bbq sauce
  • hamburger, cheddar, onion, ketchup, relish
  • taco meat, cheese
  • chopped pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce

Then pull up the sides and pinch together to make a ball.  Place seam side down and bake as usual, brushing the top with a little bit of garlic butter if you want.  Let them cool completely before packing (or they may get a little soggy).

DS12 doesn't usually eat sandwiches, but this is something I can get him to nosh on and get in some carbs when he's having a high activity day.  They pack well in his bento box for longer trips so we don't run into the issue of no restaurants available on the way home.

I’m adding canned biscuit dough to my Instacart order now. And my road trip was a few days ago, so I don’t even have an excuse.

Edited by Catwoman
Autocorrect hates me
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’d pack lunch boxes with two meals in them. Sandwiches (or subs or wraps),yogurt, fruit, chips, carrot sticks, water bottles, juice . . . you can definitely get a day’s worth of calories in a lunch box. It doesn’t take that long and it’ll be better food for less than you’d spend on take-out. 

There’s a youtuber with 12 kids who films herself prepping food in the morning. She makes breakfast, lunch, and does some dinner prep in less than an hour before the kids get up and chaos starts. She does these sandwiches so fast and the kids have all these different sandwich preferences. You just assembly line it and it’s quick. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d pack lunch boxes with two meals in them. Sandwiches (or subs or wraps),yogurt, fruit, chips, carrot sticks, water bottles, juice . . . you can definitely get a day’s worth of calories in a lunch box. It doesn’t take that long and it’ll be better food for less than you’d spend on take-out. 

There’s a youtuber with 12 kids who films herself prepping food in the morning. She makes breakfast, lunch, and does some dinner prep in less than an hour before the kids get up and chaos starts. She does these sandwiches so fast and the kids have all these different sandwich preferences. You just assembly line it and it’s quick. 

Who is the you tuber? I’d like to see that

• Like 1

I like to take these slider sandwiches- - on rolls, you layer turkey, Colby jack cheese, ranch, and bacon bits and warm them up in the oven. They are excellent when they are hot, but almost as good when they are cold. I also make homemade lunchable type things with summer sausage, cheese, crackers, grapes, dried pineapple, yogurt covered raisins, some carrots, sugar snaps, grape tomatoes with a tiny container of ranch. I put them in shallow rectangular bowls. They can be personalized and labeled with a piece of tape with names on the lids. I have found this to be much easier than having the grapes in one container, veggies in another, etc. When someone wants to eat, they just pull out their container. We also like to have a cooler full of drinks- canned soda, and frozen water bottles and Capri suns that double as ice packs.

• Like 2

Burritos! I customize them as per each person's preference and they can be made as large or as small as needed.

I make smoothies with frozen fruit and put them in individual mason jars and inside a cooler to have with the main meal and they stay fresh and cold for 5-6 hours if you ensure that you don't add fruit or veggies that oxidize with exposure. Our favorites are combos of orange/mango/acai berry/carrot/blueberry/strawberry.

• Like 2

We often have burritos for car trips, sports events, etc.  We make ours vegetarian (black beans, cheese, etc.) so they don't have to be refrigerated.

Another staple for us is to bring a loaf of good bread, cheese and avocados, for a build-your-own open-faced sandwich at a rest stop.  Accompanied with chips and already sliced fruit, plus easy finger veggies like carrot sticks and sugar snap peas.

• Like 2

I don’t want to tell you how to live your life, but I just did an outdoor event and made muffulettas and gumbo for 8 people. The gumbo might be overkill for road trip prep, but that sandwich traveled REALLY well. I did a vegetarian version (because the gumbo had all of the forbidden meats) and it was a HIT.  A traditional meaty one would be amazing too. This new Orleans jazz concert, so I leaned into the theme and made the bread, but really any hardy italian loaf would work. It actually benefited from being a little pressed in transport. I precut it and wrapped the servings individually and it made everything SO MUCH easier. Cold fried chicken travels well too. My kids called it Picnic Chicken when they were little. 

ETA: With those ages, if you hit drive through and order from the dollar menu, NOBODY is going to order JUST a sandwich. They’re all going to get a couple things because it’s “just a dollar” and you’ll spend $80 before you pull away. You can buy more and better food for that and prep it all the day before. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I did a vegetarian version (because the gumbo had all of the forbidden meats) and it was a HIT.  

A vegetarian muffuletta?  Recipe please?

We did a relatively short road trip last week and the night before I made banana bread to use up all of the remaining bananas, and I cut up all the other fruit in the house to make fruit salad.  I also packed hard-boiled eggs, trail mix, dried fruit, and dried seaweed.  If I were packing a cooler I would take hummus, chopped salad, yogurt, maybe some cheese for my cheese-eaters, and then some pita bread or rolls to make a nice roadside meal.

9 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I make smoothies with frozen fruit and put them in individual mason jars and inside a cooler to have with the main meal and they stay fresh and cold for 5-6 hours if you ensure that you don't add fruit or veggies that oxidize with exposure. Our favorites are combos of orange/mango/acai berry/carrot/blueberry/strawberry.

This is brilliant and I am going to do this for our extended road trip later this summer!

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

I love the ideas of things to make from home.  Pre made snacks are really expensive and you could easily spend more on that than fast food $1 menu. 

I would insist on water only for the car. The potential for sticky soda spills just makes me shudder. Likewise with the food you pack…..I would probably plan a picnic stop to eat the messier items.  

How many kids and what are ages?

We attend a 3 day Convention where we need to pack a lunch that we eat in our seats….lately I have been packing pasta salad.  Dh loves it as do I…..but my ds would not have liked it.  

• Like 1

Adding some Italian dressing in the sandwich or as a dipping sauce makes sandwiches more palatable here. 

also adding a salty meat such as pepperoni or salami seems to make sandwiches more appealing. 

I also echo that using fancier, heartier bread or tortilla makes sandwiches taste better. Sandwich bread does nothing for sandwiches. 🙄 

• Like 3

With their ages, I would absolutely bring them in on the planning. I might even give them a budget and turn it over to them. It’s one day.  Seems like an easy way to give them some control during the drive.

Failing that, what do you normally eat for lunches?  I can give you ideas of what we take on road trips but if you eat radically different food my ideas won’t be helpful. 

• Like 1

Are you planning to stop along the way and eat at a picnic area? If, yes, pasta salad with meat - I have seen people use tortelini, mozarella balls, and pepperoni  for hearty one. Roll up sandwiches travel really well, too. I would also pack apples  and grapes and cut up melon. 

If you are  passing by a Costco, you  could stop there for lunch and not spend  a ton! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JennyD said:

A vegetarian muffuletta?  Recipe please?

We did a relatively short road trip last week and the night before I made banana bread to use up all of the remaining bananas, and I cut up all the other fruit in the house to make fruit salad.  I also packed hard-boiled eggs, trail mix, dried fruit, and dried seaweed.  If I were packing a cooler I would take hummus, chopped salad, yogurt, maybe some cheese for my cheese-eaters, and then some pita bread or rolls to make a nice roadside meal.

This is brilliant and I am going to do this for our extended road trip later this summer!

Here ya go. It was so so good. I didn’t even have to make the olive salad because Costco had a muffuletta mix by the olives, so that was fate.   

This is the veg filling recipe. I shared it on another thread before I made it, but I can vouch for it now  

https://hellolittlehome.com/vegetarian-muffaletta-sandwich/

This is the video I used to make the bread, but he actually makes a whole traditional meat-laden muffuletta that I’m gonna try sometime this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The kids and dh are no help. 😆

They are 22-12 so all big eaters. It seems like every suggestion I make there is one or two that are like nah… dh is the worst. Growing up his family never picnicked while traveling they always ate out. They ate out every chance they got. My dad used picnicking as a way to save money and he would buy us little Debbie’s and capri suns to make it special since we never got those. 20 years and he still instinctively thinks traveling means eating out. After kid #3 I put a stop to that. Usually we do subs, but we just had those in a picnic last weekend and I want something we don’t really have to stop for, just pass out. We have a lactose intolerant, a vegetarian, and two picky eaters, and two who just really like to eat out.

this is our first trip since covid and we are staying with family and doing nothing that costs money. Like as little outgoing as humanly possible. It will be our only trip so when I would ordinarily be like suck it up buttercup, I’m trying extra hard to make it as good as possible. 

thanks for all of the suggestions!

You mentioned that every idea you suggested was shot down by one or two people. Could you do two of your suggestions so everyone has something they didn’t shoot down? 
‘When ours were that age I made homemade chicken tenders the day before and chilled them. Kids/adults were free to eat them w a dipping sauce, roll into a wrap w lettuce and tomato (Or in a hot dog bun), or put on a salad that I’d premade.  Everyone liked my tenders, they just liked them in different ways. 
If they aren’t going to be helpful, I’d just make something you know they’d usually eat, and maybe toss in a couple of fun things they don’t usually get.   I feel bad for you that they aren’t being helpful- you’re trying to make this fun for them and they’re not helping. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, saraha said:

this is our first trip since covid and we are staying with family and doing nothing that costs money. Like as little outgoing as humanly possible. It will be our only trip so when I would ordinarily be like suck it up buttercup, I’m trying extra hard to make it as good as possible. 

Gently - but honestly - if this is the only trip and you want to make it as good as possible, why don't you just agree to go out to eat (eat quickly in the car but not pack a lunch)?  It'd save you (personally) time and brain cells, and it'd make your DH feel special.  You haven't made road trips during covid, so you haven't spent any money for the past 2 years on road-trip-food.  Perhaps you just shift your mindset to say that vacation starts when you leave your driveway - not when you arrive at your destination.  With the ages of your kids, I imagine you won't have many more road trips as an entire family of 6, so just make the best of this one.

OK - you do you, and I'll give you no more unsolicited opinions.

• Like 2

We pack breakfasts and lunches for our long trips. Then depending on the distance, we sometimes eat dinner out that evening. These are not necessarily nutritious meals.

Breakfast options (trying to include some protein): biscuits with sausage, some kind of pastries and boiled eggs, pop tarts and beef jerky

Lunch options: nearly always includes some raw veggies for munching, fried chicken (I usually buy it already fried, but the tenders idea above is a good one), cheese, fruit, occasionally sandwiches and chips

Our last trip, I found at Walmart some packaged "mini-meals" in the produce section. They had a boiled egg, cheese, tiny crackers, grapes, and apple slices. Then we shared a veggie tray with dip. Sadly, they don't always have them, or at least some with those options in them.

• Like 1

Yeah, with that many “opinions” I’d just take over and they get what they get. For a 10 hour trip, I’d feed them breakfast before they left and pack two lunches. So they’d be eating at 8-9 then 12-1, and finally at 5-6.  I’d bring something for an easy evening snack after you arrive. I’d want something that didn’t have to be cut or served on the road. I’m thinking brown bags with individual names on them that you can hand out in the car. I’d bake a couple batches of cookies now, cool them, wrap in groups of 2-3, and freeze them. Each bag would include a sandwich, a piece of fruit, cookies, veggie sticks, chips (or trail mix or pretzels), and a few pieces of candy or some mints. Also a napkin and a bottle of water. If you wanna go OTT include a pencil and madlibs or a car bingo sheet. 

Bag 2 would have the same formula, but the evening sandwich and water would be frozen and the cookies/fruit would be different.  I’d keep all these clearly labeled bags (Susie Lunch, Susie Dinner) in a Rubbermaid bin and just pass them out. 

I would take sandwich orders two days ahead but they’d have to choose from 3-4 choices. If some punk wants a fluff sandwich twice, then THIS is their big moment in life. We’d probably do PB&J, Turkey, or Mixed Italian. Pick two people! 

I’d be assembling this when there are as few awake people around me as possible. Ignore the grumbling. Right now they smell your DH’s weakness and are lobbying for drive through. It’s not personal. They’ll get on board when they’re hungry and are opening bags. 

I am now invested in your quest. 🤣

ETA:  Hot dogs stay hot wrapped in foil and packed in a cooler. I used to keep some rocks wrapped in foil that I would heat in the oven and pack in the cooler to keep the heat up. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

Gently - but honestly - if this is the only trip and you want to make it as good as possible, why don't you just agree to go out to eat (eat quickly in the car but not pack a lunch)?  It'd save you (personally) time and brain cells, and it'd make your DH feel special.  You haven't made road trips during covid, so you haven't spent any money for the past 2 years on road-trip-food.  Perhaps you just shift your mindset to say that vacation starts when you leave your driveway - not when you arrive at your destination.  With the ages of your kids, I imagine you won't have many more road trips as an entire family of 6, so just make the best of this one.

OK - you do you, and I'll give you no more unsolicited opinions.

I know you totally mean we’ll, and under different circumstances we have done just what you suggest. Please read this with an explainer tone of voice, not an upset tone, because I appreciate your thought process and taking the time to help me.

I wish we could this time too. I know how much they all love to eat out. I know how much they would love to go to an amusement park or Disney, and I am painfully aware this might be the last one, but we are beyond broke and have family on the other end that are going to help make this as special as can be, we just have to get to there. This last year has been really hard for us and these people opening their home to a family of 8 big people is a godsend.  Ds22 who lives on his own just had his lease run out and rent raised. Dd21’s last day of work is today, her boss is closing his office. Dd18 over the summer had her hours cut back at the coffee shop as the other workers came back for summer, and she and dd21 both have tuition payments in August. Dd17 only has a weekend job and has a small tuition payment in the fall. 
I wanted it to feel like we are having vacation as soon as we leave the driveway, hence looking for something special instead of telling everyone to suck it up.

• Like 7

And the verdict is in!!! Thanks to everyone‘s suggestions I started thinking outside the box, went through the fridge and cabinets and think I’ll be able to pull it off without having to really buy anything! We are going to do make your own pizzas the night before so everyone can customize their choice and we can use up the last bits of lunch meat and cheese, nobody here minds cold pizza. One dd claimed the roast beef to make a Philly steak sort of pizza. They will to be served with pretzels and bananas. I’ll also use up vegetables in the fridge and make a pasta salad and am packing what granola bars, crackers, slim Jim’s etc I can find lurking and lingering. I’m also making individual pudding cups to use up the rest of the milk. They will go in the cooler with the pasta salad. Everyone always takes their own water bottles and I am filling up a drink cooler with a giant ice cube made from a sour cream container and water to refill bottles when we stop at gas stations.
Thank you guys for helping me think past the sandwich and find ways to customize to everyone’s taste! I will definitely be tapping this list again as we have a few day things planned over the rest of the summer and good picnic meal will be just the thing!

ETA:  @lmrich I told dh since I dont know is we will be able to pack meals to come home, if we have to eat out on the way home, we could eat at Sam’s and get their $2 hotdog meals! 

Edited by saraha
  • Like 17

Great plan! Even better that you can use up food in the house you need to use anyways. I'm so glad you are able to swing a trip away on a budget.

We don't eat a lot when on vaca either. The treat is going different places. If we had to pay for meals out, even cheap ones, we'd get to do a lot less. Even the value menu adds up these days. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Soror said:

Great plan! Even better that you can use up food in the house you need to use anyways. I'm so glad you are able to swing a trip away on a budget.

We don't eat a lot when on vaca either. The treat is going different places. If we had to pay for meals out, even cheap ones, we'd get to do a lot less. Even the value menu adds up these days. 

It’s really only because some lovely family were like, if you can make it out here, we will feed you, love on you like crazy and make room for all of you here. She has gone all cruise ship activity director and planning all kinds of fun free things for us all to do. We haven’t seen them in 2 years and we can’t wait! We got the “good” car back so are piling into two cars with no ac, one doesn’t have a working radio,  and excited spirits! It will be an adventure for sure!

• Like 12

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

When you make the smoothies for the road trip, I suggest using coconut milk instead of dairy products to avoid separation after a few hours. I find that the consistency is best with it. If you cannot have coconut milk, other plant based milks like oat, almond, soy etc also don't separate in the smoothie after a few hours, though it is no big deal and you could shake the bottle vigorously if that happens!

Avoid spinach, kale, bananas and apples as they become brown with oxidation. Use all frozen fruit and veggies for best effect. If you are fancy, you could buy smoothie lids for your mason jars 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Soligt-Mason-Leak-proof-Airtight-Spout/dp/B07WTX8TY4

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

When you make the smoothies for the road trip, I suggest using coconut milk instead of dairy products to avoid separation after a few hours. I find that the consistency is best with it. If you cannot have coconut milk, other plant based milks like oat, almond, soy etc also don't separate in the smoothie after a few hours, though it is no big deal and you could shake the bottle vigorously if that happens!

Avoid spinach, kale, bananas and apples as they become brown with oxidation. Use all frozen fruit and veggies for best effect. If you are fancy, you could buy smoothie lids for your mason jars 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Soligt-Mason-Leak-proof-Airtight-Spout/dp/B07WTX8TY4

Thanks!  This is all very helpful.  And those lids are awfully nifty 🙂

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

Sounds like you came up with the best possible option!  And much better than sandwiches!

I hope y’all have a great time. 🙂

Don’t you dare dis sandwiches!  I’d argue that a pizza IS a sandwich. In fact, if you turn them into strombolis they’ll pack easier. 

Brilliant using up the pantry and thinking of make-your-own pizza!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Don’t you dare dis sandwiches!  I’d argue that a pizza IS a sandwich. In fact, if you turn them into strombolis they’ll pack easier. 

Brilliant using up the pantry and thinking of make-your-own pizza!

Ha. I’ve totally got that muffuletta recipe saved to try! I love the muffuletta at Jason’s Deli (chain). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

Sounds like you are set, but our dirty little secret for car trips...cans of vienna sausages. We all like them, they store well, and they are cheap!

Also, traditional picnic foods--potato salad, baked beans, etc. 

bagels

popcorn

Dh just bought some yesterday. I was like……🤔………but I agree if you like them it would be great for a road trip. 

• Like 2