Menu

Help settle this debate regarding trash cans

stephanier.1765

Dh and I disagree on this -

Every day I grab a plastic grocery bag, use it to hold the scooped contents of our litter boxes, tie the handles into a knot and then take it outside to toss it into the outdoor trash can. This way scooped poop is not smelling up the house. DH claims this makes our trashmen mad because they now have to pick up the trash can and dump the contents into the truck. My stance is that this is literally their job and cannot fathom why they would be mad about it. DH's stance is that it makes them mad because otherwise they just grab the bigger, kitchen size bags out of the can and don't have to pick up the whole can. He also swears putting the poopy bags in the kitchen trash won't smell up the room, either. What says the Hive? I'm hoping someone is either a trash collector or is married to one who can give me the inside scoop.

• Confused 4

I would do exactly what you are doing and it wouldn't occur to me that the trash collectors would care.  It's not like you're dumping exposed cat waste directly into the can! 

ETA - of course it would smell, too!  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 11

My garbage guys do, in fact, pull the bags out sometimes vs. dumping the can. I don't really get it (but I do prefer it, as then they don't just throw my garbage can back all willy nilly and everything).  So, my DH does the same. 

However, he tends to clean the cat box, put all that into the kitchen trash, *then immediately take that bag out to the trash can outside* so that we achieve both -- litter in the big bag, to make it easier for them, but also the smell is removed right away (because, yes, it will smell). 

• Like 2

I think this depends on how the local trash is done. It sounds like they don't use a machine to tip the can over. I noticed around here they don't usually, either. A man physically bends over and grabs things out. Once I noticed that I started being more conscious about how I throw things away. 

I scoop the litter box contents into double bagged grocery bags (half of the walmart bags have holes!). Sometimes I toss the tied bag into the garbage can as is and other times I will stuff it into a kitchen trash bag just before it goes out to the can. I never keep it in the kitchen. I don't bring the Walmart bags outside daily. They stay in my laundry room a couple of days usually so I can reuse the same bag a few times. But, if I smelled it I would get rid of it faster. 

I try to either merge the two bags or put the small bag on the top of the big bag so they don't have to bend inside the can so far to reach it. 

My suggestion is you just add the small bags to the inside of the bigger bags if possible. Sometimes I do this with my bathroom trash and other times it's not practical (like the kitchen trash is already full). Alternatively, place the big bags on the bottom of the can and the smaller bags on top. 

• Like 1

The answer will probably vary depending on how the trash collection is done. I’ve never seen anyone reach into a can and get bags out. The can is either lifted by a person  and dumped, placed on a platform by a person & the platform then lifts and dumps, or a driver uses a robot arm to pick up, lift & dump. In all cases if something doesn’t come out, it’s just stuck there until the next time.
For litter prevention purposes it seems like it would be better to have large bags because they are less likely to fall off the truck. On the other hand, a large bag falling off the truck and breaking open would be far more litter than a small bag doing the same. 

• Like 3

Just now, TheReader said:

My garbage guys do, in fact, pull the bags out sometimes vs. dumping the can. I don't really get it (but I do prefer it, as then they don't just throw my garbage can back all willy nilly and everything).  So, my DH does the same. 

However, he tends to clean the cat box, put all that into the kitchen trash, *then immediately take that bag out to the trash can outside* so that we achieve both -- litter in the big bag, to make it easier for them, but also the smell is removed right away (because, yes, it will smell). 

I do not prefer it. I have seen items remain on the bottom of my can because they weren't bagged 😕 Like a loose water bottle throw in there from my car. Or a piece of cardboard. 

I don't even know if our local garbage truck is capable of picking up the cans or if it depends on the size of the can?? Here, in my town, they are not city issued cans. So they are not all the same size. I bought a cheap small trash can. We have pick up twice a week on my block so having a small can is not a big deal. 

Are you home when the trash collectors come by? I'd try to watch out the window sometime to see how they do it, if possible. 

In my case, the trashcan is picked up by a big arm on the truck, dumped, and returned to the ground. No one touches the contents of the can.

In other towns I've seen (when I've been stuck behind a truck in my car) that don't have the arm to pick up the can, the collectors themselves pick up the can and dump it. Again, they don't touch the contents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Also, if the issue is that they pull out the other bags, and the little one of cat poop is at the bottom of the can and then they have to dump it, at least it is mostly empty then, so not a big deal. 

The problem is if they don't shake the can they have to bend really fan inside to reach small bags. And the next week it'll remain on the bottom and be no better. They should pick up and shake the can probably. 

It just occurred to me that they would probably avoid touching garbage as much as possible. The germs/bacteria/larvae that’s growing there is problematic from a public health perspective. That’s why we have garbage collection to begin with. 

• Like 1

This is often discussed at my house. Most of the neighborhood rents garbage cans from the company that have a bar for the truck to automatically lift and dump. We do not want the additional expense so we have our own. There is a smaller weight limit if you use your own can. While I only have 1-2 small kitchen bags of trash a week, I do feel bad that they can’t use automatic arm. Sometimes, the trash collector will lift the entire can to pour into their truck bin. Or they will lift each bag out individually. I do not allow my housemates to put grocery bag size bags into the can. I think it makes it harder for them to do their job when they probably wish I would rent the dumpsters that can be lifted. Yes, they are doing their job but how long until their back aches, or in sweltering or freezing conditions? 

Edited by Acorn

Just now, TechWife said:

It just occurred to me that they would probably avoid touching garbage as much as possible. The germs/bacteria/larvae that’s growing there is problematic from a public health perspective. That’s why we have garbage collection to begin with. 

You would think! But two of us in this thread have seen the guys touch the bags. 

• Like 1

Ours now use a trash truck with a robot arm that lifts the can. But before that, yes, they reached in and pulled out the big bags.

Why don't you keep a large trash bag inside the can, put the little litter bags inside the big bag, add all your other house trash bags into the big bag,  and then knot that closed on trash day? Problem solved.

• Like 3

Forgot to add: 

I am really insistent that no one take out the kitchen trash without scooping the cat box. For the times when the bag isn’t ready to go out, I have a small lidded waste bin in the garage. The cat litter clumps go into there and the whole bag goes into larger kitchen bag.

Edited by Acorn

Just now, heartlikealion said:

not all places are using the arms

Hmm, well I still wouldn't give it a 2nd thought unless the trash provider sent out specific instructions on how to bag up your garbage.  I mean our bin sits in an alley.  People walk by and put loose stuff including dog doo in small bags all the time.  We don'teven have a dog.  We have cats.  Our litter is in our basement and we collect scooped litter in covered bins through the week and carry it out once a week.  Our basement is not finished so it's not an issue.  Anyway, it's hard for me to believe this would be a typical expecation by the average garbage service.  

If my spouse was going to die on this hill, I'd compromise get a covered can with a bag for the garage to collect the small bags in and transfer it over on garbage day.  I'd put him in charge of that.  There is no way I'd let litter sit in a kitchen bin for days.  

• Like 4

I am firmly on #TeamStephanie here.

I think her dh is completely wrong. 

She's bagging up the cat litter and it's legal to throw it in the garbage, so I can't imagine what the problem would be. At least she's bagging it -- I have seen posts on NextDoor where people dump things like cat litter boxes straight into the can! 🤢And don't get me started on the people who toss poopy diapers straight into the can. 🤮 Ugh! 

If her dh is truly concerned about the smell, maybe he should spray the can with deodorizer every few days. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Dh and I disagree on this -

Every day I grab a plastic grocery bag, use it to hold the scooped contents of our litter boxes, tie the handles into a knot and then take it outside to toss it into the outdoor trash can. This way scooped poop is not smelling up the house. DH claims this makes our trashmen mad because they now have to pick up the trash can and dump the contents into the truck. My stance is that this is literally their job and cannot fathom why they would be mad about it. DH's stance is that it makes them mad because otherwise they just grab the bigger, kitchen size bags out of the can and don't have to pick up the whole can. He also swears putting the poopy bags in the kitchen trash won't smell up the room, either. What says the Hive? I'm hoping someone is either a trash collector or is married to one who can give me the inside scoop.

?? The way they do trash here is dumping the trash can into the truck, NOT pulling bags out of the can.

ETA: there is no rented can here. And no "provide your own"  You use the company provided can and the company provided recycle can. IF it breaks, you let them know and they either fix or replace it. (This has happened once to us).  We also had it disappear once and they came out and brought us a new one. You can put up to 6 trash bags outside with the can each week. But if you regularly need more than one can you will pay more but be able to get it.

Edited by vonfirmath

I hate using extra plastic, but I don't put single poop bags into our large trash bin. I HATE HATE HATE when people put small, lightweight items into their big bins. I walk our neighborhood every day and get irritated at all the small trash litter there is on the day after a trash day, especially when it's been windy. That small loose stuff blows everywhere when being dumped, and I end up picking it all up.

My method is that I have an eight gallon stainless steel trashcan in the garage. The lid fits fairly tight. I keep that lined with a trash bag. Each day the poop bags go into it. On garbage day the eight gallon bag gets tied up and put into the outside bin. Our garbage service uses a mechanical dumper or arm, the garbage men don't touch anything other than the trash bin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, catz said:

Hmm, well I still wouldn't give it a 2nd thought unless the trash provider sent out specific instructions on how to bag up your garbage.  I mean our bin sits in an alley.  People walk by and put loose stuff including dog doo in small bags all the time.  We don'teven have a dog.  We have cats.  Our litter is in our basement and we collect scooped litter in covered bins through the week and carry it out once a week.  Our basement is not finished so it's not an issue.  Anyway, it's hard for me to believe this would be a typical expecation by the average garbage service.  

If my spouse was going to die on this hill, I'd compromise get a covered can with a bag for the garage to collect the small bags in and transfer it over on garbage day.  I'd put him in charge of that.  There is no way I'd let litter sit in a kitchen bin for days.  

I think like her spouse and I've offered my solution which is just stack the small bags on top of the big or put the small bags inside the kitchen bags. My can doesn't sit in an alley, though so my choices may differ. I am on a first name basis with the city worker that gets my trash. I don't want to make his job harder. 

Our neighborhood uses a service who reaches in and pulls out large bags.  Once I saw that they do this, I stopped throwing small items in and wouldn’t even consider putting small bags of poop.  I’ve even tried to be more considerate about how heavy I make the bags, but I probably fail at that.  When I do throw small items in, they often just get left behind.

They use gloves, but still. Idk.  I understand it’s their job, but if I can consciously contribute to making it slightly less bad, I will 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

You would think! But two of us in this thread have seen the guys touch the bags. 

I know - so gross when I think about too much.

Unrelated to your post - or the OP, come to think of it -  just a random bunny trail to run off on - 

The method of collection is probably tied to finances:

hand pickup expenses - personnel, basic garbage truck

platform dumping - slightly lower personnel costs, truck that can accommodate a platform and identical garbage cans for everyone (they have to be compatible with the platform), the platform itself

robot arm - reduces personnel costs significantly, increases equipment costs in the same way the platform does, though I imagine the robot arm is more expensive than the platform. 

Our city provides weekly garbage and recycling pickup, which is a line item included in our water bill. It is not optional, every residence must have pickup. But, the city contracts it out to a private company, so that company bears the costs. Of course I’m sure equipment cost & amortization is part of the company’s calculation when they renew their contract.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

OP - your dh is nuts. Carry on. 

I’m nuts too then but I already knew that 🤣

I’m on team you don’t have to change but if it improves someone else’s job then consider it. Like people that leave French fries all over their booth at a fast food restaurant. No one at the establishment is gonna formally ask them to change. It’s not illegal. But I don’t operate based strictly on law. If I did I wouldn’t urge parents to rear face their kids as long as possible. 

• Like 3

First of all, if your DH is concerned about what your garbagemen think he ought to call them up and ask. The provider should be able to tell you whether or not it's a big deal. (You can do the same thing, of course, or both of you can stand outside one morning and ask them to settle this for you.)

Alternatively, he can take over handling ALL the litter box issues, or else commit to putting a big liner in your bin and tying it up on garbage nights.

He doesn't need to make a fight over what he imagines your sanitation workers think.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

Around here - the trash collectors don't even get out of their truck.  (or if they do - it's a one-off kinda thing.)   The trucks have arms - pick up the garbage can with them - and dump it directly into the hopper.

• Like 1

I'm taking care of a cat for one of mine this summer.
I put two grocery/walmart bag inside each other, scoop the litter, twist the bag so it is tied before the handles so no anything/odor can escape and toss it in the kitchen trash. It's pretty sealed in there, so no smells escape.  (BTW, this is my first experience doing the cat sitting, so if this is wrong, please let me know!)
But our trash service has a robot arm truck that just picks up the can and dump it in their truck. They never even touch our trash can. So I think you are fine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

First of all, if your DH is concerned about what your garbagemen think he ought to call them up and ask. The provider should be able to tell you whether or not it's a big deal. (You can do the same thing, of course, or both of you can stand outside one morning and ask them to settle this for you.)

Alternatively, he can take over handling ALL the litter box issues, or else commit to putting a big liner in your bin and tying it up on garbage nights.

He doesn't need to make a fight over what he imagines your sanitation workers think.

excellent suggestion.  The cat will complain if it's not cleaned every day.

Or you could get one of these- self-cleaning litter boxes - and he could just clean it once a week.

4 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I have considered the company “policy” when debated to keep using our small garbage can vs renting the huge one with the bar for lifter arm. The administrative staff and customer service call staff would all say that I can use my own bin as long as under weight limit. I don’t think they would say anything about size of bags inside the can. I have watched the actual collectors. I bet they would rather use the automatic arm and not have to touch my trash bags. I think they have a hard job for probably low pay, and I don’t want to make it worse. So if I can prevent having to make multiple grabs inside my can especially of obvious animal waste that often leaks out of grocery bags, I think there should only be the kitchen size garbage bags.

1 minute ago, Bambam said:

I'm taking care of a cat for one of mine this summer.
I put two grocery/walmart bag inside each other, scoop the litter, twist the bag so it is tied before the handles so no anything/odor can escape and toss it in the kitchen trash. It's pretty sealed in there, so no smells escape.  (BTW, this is my first experience doing the cat sitting, so if this is wrong, please let me know!)
But our trash service has a robot arm truck that just picks up the can and dump it in their truck. They never even touch our trash can. So I think you are fine. 

If the trash is gone before they return I guess it’s of no consequence but I just don’t like putting feces of any kind in my kitchen (when kids were younger the diaper genie was by the changing table away from kitchen). It’s maybe just a mental thing. 

• Like 1

I have never witnessed a trash collector get out of their vehicle.  They use the arm on the vehicle to dump those whole trash bin into the bed of the truck.  When we stayed in Long Island, NY the trash collectors picked up the small cans by hand (Why is this still a thing? A bin and truck with arms is more efficient for everyone.) and dropped them loudly back on the sidewalk.

Nothing irritates me as quickly as a person playing mind reader telling me what someone else is thinking.  I have yet to hear people get right their assumptions about what I'm thinking, so I'm betting the odds are your husband is wrong.  As stated upthread, he should call them and clarify from those who actually know before speaking on their behalf.  Then if he's proven right, because it's so important to him, he can be in charge of trash at your house.

You guys do realize that people are cowards and don’t like to necessarily admit their real thoughts, right? Especially if it gets back to their boss that they “gave a customer a hard time”? 

You can ask questions, of course. But I’d just use common sense too… would I be more happy or less happy to bend over further to grab things out of a can? 

It’s like the French fry example. You can ask a manager or corporate about their policy but that doesn’t determine the thoughts of the employee cleaning the lobby. 

• Like 2

We have a small old kitchen size garbage can in the garage. It is lined with a garbage bag. Dog poop goes in a plastic grocery bag tied up and into this receptacle. When the garbage is taken out to the curb this bag is taken out and placed in the larger container. So our garbage out at the street contains one bag of smaller bags of poop. 

Sometimes our garbage collectors dump the can and sometimes they pick up bags individually. Either way they aren’t very careful and odd pieces of garbage end up all over the street and in various yards. Smaller pieces of trash just are a lot more likely not to end up in the actual truck. So they go in a larger bag. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I have considered the company “policy” when debated to keep using our small garbage can vs renting the huge one with the bar for lifter arm. The administrative staff and customer service call staff would all say that I can use my own bin as long as under weight limit. I don’t think they would say anything about size of bags inside the can. I have watched the actual collectors. I bet they would rather use the automatic arm and not have to touch my trash bags. I think they have a hard job for probably low pay, and I don’t want to make it worse. So if I can prevent having to make multiple grabs inside my can especially of obvious animal waste that often leaks out of grocery bags, I think there should only be the kitchen size garbage bags.

does your waste company have the option for the smaller trash can?  Ours does.  Dh was the same way - he didn't want to pay for the big one.  It was only later we found out they offered a smaller one.  (and it was free) There are also smaller ones you can buy that have the metal arm.

But our trucks - even for those without the metal bar - the remote arms come up and grab it from both sides so it can lift it and dump it.

When garbage is hand-collected (which was the case for me,) I do feel it adds an actual hassle for trash collectors, particularly when trash bins are oversized. As the person in our home who cleans the large trash cans, it is NOT easy to grab small bags from the bottom. If the edge were at hip height, it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but humans can’t bend at the sternum, lol.

When my cats were alive, I scooped into grocery bags just before taking the kitchen trash out. Grocery bag in kitchen bag, kitchen bag in trash bin.

Trash collectors may be paid to empty our bins, but we don’t have to make it a harder job than it already is.  

Mechanical lifts can be a whole other story.

• Like 4

I scoop into double Walmart bags and tie each bag separately, do there is a inner tied off bag and an outer tied off bag.  That all goes into my kitchen trash which goes out every single night, no matter how full.  The added cat poop doesn’t add a smell that I’ve ever noticed.  

I’ve had both kinds of trash collection, personally.  When the city does trash collection it’s usually done with a truck with arms, but I’ve lived in towns were the city doesn’t do trash service, each customer contracts with different independent companies.  It’s not efficient but it’s “how things are done” in some places.  

Maybe a compromise would be to keep a kitchen trash bag or trash can outside to put the cat litter scooping bags into then take that bag out to the big trash can the night before trash goes out?  Then the cat poop is outside but goes into the trash can in a bigger bag.  

You could look to see if they have an FAQ on their website about it.  We have mechanical arm collection, so our collectors rarely get out of their trucks.  If the bags aren't in the bins ready to go, they don't get collected.

1 hour ago, Loowit said:

You could look to see if they have an FAQ on their website about it.  We have mechanical arm collection, so our collectors rarely get out of their trucks.  If the bags aren't in the bins ready to go, they don't get collected.

Great idea! I just checked and there wasn't any mention of small bags inside bins. And we are in compliance with every other thing listed so if they really are upset, it's one of those unwritten rules. 

I do like the compromise of a kitchen sized trash can in the garage. I've been wanting to get a new one for the kitchen any way so this would work out perfectly. The garage is where DH keeps his motorcycle so if anyone is going to smell it, it will be him. LOL

Thanks for all the replies. I enjoyed reading all the different thoughts and ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UK rubbish lorries that I have seen have hoists, and the wheelie bins are supplied by the County and are suitable for this. Having employees reach in to grab bags sounds dangerous- anything could be badly-wrapped inside.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubbish+lorry&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ALiCzsZZ0SsR7zJkdxCZjn1J0wFa_TUpiA:1655758082660&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz8ebC87z4AhWSS0EAHVIAByEQ_AUoBHoECAIQBA&biw=412&bih=776&dpr=2.63#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3adbc596,vid:IUA_gB5SuPc,st:0

• Like 1

We live on a steep, rural, dirt road. We used to have to take the trash to the dump ourselves or burn it. Both not fun options but a lot of people living around here still use those options.

We convinced the county trash company to do weekly pick up trash at our location so now we have trash collection. They do not provide cans, for purchase nor otherwise. They do not have a platform or robotic arm on their regular* trash pickup trucks. There are two guys who hang on to the back of the truck when they are collecting trash.

We have a big used IBC container that we use for an outdoor trash bin. It's a popular inexpensive option around here for an outdoor trash container. The trash guys just tip it forward and pull the trash out by hand, bagged or unbagged. Technically, everything is suppose to be bagged but big boxes and such, like pizza boxes and large Amazon boxes, are often thrown in unbagged and it is overlooked. You are not suppose to put yard debris of any kind in the trash. No recycling program here at all unless you kinda do it yourself with a compost pile. Once a year they do a collection drive for e-trash and they donate it all to the prison about 50 miles away for the prisoners to dismantle for the reusable parts.

When we had a cat, I would toss the scoopings into a plastic bag, tie it up tight, double or triple bagged if necessary and put it in the bag of trash as it was going out. Our trash tends to go out every other day or so. Never dealt with much smell from the cat box or the trash bag.

*They have different trucks for dumpsters. Those trucks have a big arm on the front that lifts the dumpster and dumps it in the truck. You can rent dumpsters from the county trash company. It's about $250 for 3 weeks of their smallest dumpster which holds 1 cubic yards of trash. That includes dropping off the dumpster and picking it up after the 3 weeks are up. We did this once when we had a bunch of junk to clean out of a barn on our property.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
should have been 1 cubic yard, the dumpster is 3x3x3 feet

Opposite here. Husband puts in little bags that I worry annoys the garbage man. I put it in the kitchen trash.

9 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Your husband is crazy. I've never seen trash collectors taking out bags one by one. They dump it. 

also, yes, poop in the house will make the house smell like poop. 

Mine pick em up one by one.

Edited by Elizabeth86

I'm confused the trash guys use their truck pick up the whole trash can and tip it over into their large truck. 

A way that might work for the both of you in case the trash men are putting each individual bag into the trash truck, tie up the little bag for the kitty litter then put it into one of the big bags that you have each week (for us the kitchen trash). We do this because it's easier for us to bring it into our large trash can one trip from inside the house to the outside trash can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Using plastic to bag up compostable things to go into landfill is extremely bad for the enviroment

Not all cat litter is compostable. Of course yes she can find one that is and all that jazz but that might be a different conversation. 

• Like 1