Menu

Swimsuits?

Farrar

I feel like this has probably been asked before, but I'm lazy. Where do y'all like to buy a good swimsuit?

Purpose is swimming and lounging by water. Not athletic. Modest but cute. Though not like, modest modest, just like, compared to skimpy swimsuits modest. I'm like a size 14, so nothing meant for the skinny peoples.

For the last several years, I've been just wearing these little swim bottoms and a rashie, but the rashie fell apart. I bought another one and then another, but none of them fit right. And really, I need new bottoms too, so.

I like Nike swim tanks and swim board shorts. I'm not seeing them on the Nike site, but I do see some on academy.com and dickssportinggoods.com. I like Land's End too, but some of their suits aren't very comfortable on me. I like a sporty look and the Nike set was really comfortable and no fuss when we went to the beach last summer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I splurged on a Jessica Rey swimsuit a few years ago and have never regretted it. It was something that I looked at year after year until I finally decided to just treat myself. They are excellent quality and made in America. Highly recommend! 
https://www.jessicarey.com 

Oh my gosh, this one has one that has specifically a smaller top and a bigger bottom! Okay, that might be worth the splurge. That's why I can't buy one pieces.

• Like 1

I have to get a new one this year and planned to look at LandsEnd, but open to other options!  I'm a twin mom, too.  I have a horrible distinction, so prefer a tummy control panel.  I know Kohls had some LE suits in their stores last year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I feel like this has probably been asked before, but I'm lazy. Where do y'all like to buy a good swimsuit?

Purpose is swimming and lounging by water. Not athletic. Modest but cute. Though not like, modest modest, just like, compared to skimpy swimsuits modest. I'm like a size 14, so nothing meant for the skinny peoples.

For the last several years, I've been just wearing these little swim bottoms and a rashie, but the rashie fell apart. I bought another one and then another, but none of them fit right. And really, I need new bottoms too, so.

I wear swim capris that I bought on Amazon, and a shelf cami style, long swim top I found years ago at Lands End, and it still hasn't fallen apart. I do not need any kind of major built in bra thing because my books have atrophied from being small, collections of child poetry to mere pamphlets as I approach menopause. 😬 So I might not be much help.The top is similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Zando-Swimwear-Swimdress-Beachwear-Swimsuits/dp/B078JWT31H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1AF9XADYRI9SE&keywords=Womens+long+swim+top&qid=1646542080&sprefix=womens+long+swim+to%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-3

I am very comfy in it. I do have a rash guard to put over top if I am at the beach a long time, and I have a gauzy, beach cover up. That last thing needs to be replaced because I have had it for ten years, and it is a rag. My Lands End swim top is a decade old and still going strong. BUT, most of my swimming is in the Great Lakes, not in a chlorinated pool. So that might be why.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TiffVP said:

I'm beyond pale, so I've switched to long sleeve rashguards and pants. I purchased mine on Amazon 3+ years ago and it's still going strong! Plus I've saved tons of money on sunscreen lol

I keep trying to find a rashguard that works for big b00ks. I know some people wear a swim bra under the shirt but I haven't seen one that looks comfortable. 

Is really like to switch to a shirt and shorts if only I can find the perfect combo. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

I used to always do lands end but their fabric is really thick now and a bit too warm for me. I prefer llbean now- swim shorts and tank style top. You order tops and bottoms separately for 2 pieces for the right fit top/bottom

I also have some Free Country tankini tops I like

Edited by Hilltopmom

I used to do Lands End, but switched to Miracle Suit a few years ago (you can buy separate size tops and bottoms there, too). They have held up really well. I also like some of the suits at Mod Cloth, but they did not hold up as well.

Now I’m off to check out Jessica Rey!

7 hours ago, cabercro said:

These swim rompers from target were a game changer for me last summer. Look good for lounging, comfy for swimming, and they have POCKETS. 

I bought a lightweight kimono cover up and a uv-material drapy cardigan that I wear over them poolside. 

Those are cute but I’m wondering about the bottoms. Do they have a hidden, built-in panty? Cause they seem awfully fluttery and loose around the bottom/leg, which seems they’d be floaty in the water or flappy in a breeze…?

Listening... I've looked at all the sites posted so far, lots of pretty ones but none quite right for me.

I'm looking for a more athletic swimsuit- not that I'm super active in the water or a big-time swimmer but I want to be able to move and play around without worrying that the swimsuit is going to be moving around. I got some fashion swimsuits for cheap from Shein year before last and they are cute but not so much practical.

I'm ridiculously picky though-

I want a 2 piece

Top raceback or crossed straps highneck- support for the bOOks

top not flowing or blouse type- if it is flowy it will come up in the water- blouse type even if a elastic bottom I find unflattering for my body and uncomfortable

bottoms high-waisted- not sure on type- always did boy short type before but did some regular ones last year and felt fine in them- I do not want any type of flowy/skirt bottoms- I am curvy leaning towards apple - I don't want bottoms that widen my hips/butt

18 minutes ago, Soror said:

Listening... I've looked at all the sites posted so far, lots of pretty ones but none quite right for me.

I'm looking for a more athletic swimsuit- not that I'm super active in the water or a big-time swimmer but I want to be able to move and play around without worrying that the swimsuit is going to be moving around. I got some fashion swimsuits for cheap from Shein year before last and they are cute but not so much practical.

I'm ridiculously picky though-

I want a 2 piece

Top raceback or crossed straps highneck- support for the bOOks

top not flowing or blouse type- if it is flowy it will come up in the water- blouse type even if a elastic bottom I find unflattering for my body and uncomfortable

bottoms high-waisted- not sure on type- always did boy short type before but did some regular ones last year and felt fine in them- I do not want any type of flowy/skirt bottoms- I am curvy leaning towards apple - I don't want bottoms that widen my hips/butt

Well, I am no good at shopping at all, but would this work? It has a built in bookshelf, high neck, racerback, and seems kind of sporty.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/zeroxposur-striped-tankini-swimsuit-top/ppr5008193978?pTmplType=regular

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Can I just say that swimsuit shopping is an affront to human dignity, and is in fact, a scourge against womankind?

I actually started to cry as I engaged in this activity. I remember going with my mother once when she was about my age or a little younger and how she was so traumatized and I was just like, omg, chill out. And now I get it. I TOTALLY GET IT.

• Sad 3

I just bought one from Lands End. I haven't used it yet, so I hope it works well. I am rather hard to fit, I was nervous about it, and it was expensive. But I will say that I am so pleased with this swim skirt: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-chlorine-resistant-tummy-control-adjustable-swim-skirt-swim-bottoms/id_353002?attributes=8063,43307,43325,43394,44256,44409  It looks very nice with good coverage without looking dowdy.

Then I got this top: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-chlorine-resistant-high-neck-upf-50-sun-protection-modest-tankini-top-swimsuit/id_342536?attributes=43307,43325,43393,44093,44256,44407,44967,49812  I have a long torso, so I really like that I can get the long one and it covers my abundant belly.

Unfortunately, they don't make me look 40 pounds smaller, but for what I look like, I'm pleased. I hope they work well for lap swimming. I have been very pleased with Lands End quality in the past, and with being able to work out options for long torso and large bust. I do often wish they had more varieties of fabric in the styles I want, though.

• Like 1

I ordered a couple of things from Land's End, by the way. And hopefully it'll all fit? I mean, who the heck knows. If not, I'll just send it all back. I purposefully ordered more than the free shipping amount because apparently that includes returns? I guess you can return Land's End stuff at Kohl's, but there isn't really a Kohl's anywhere near me. If it doesn't fit, I'm getting that Jessica Ley one.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could try it all on. But it's not like local stores seem to have much that is worth trying on. And spending $100 on swimwear online when you have NO CLUE if it'll fit is super stressful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It wouldn't be so bad if I could try it all on. But it's not like local stores seem to have much that is worth trying on. And spending $100 on swimwear online when you have NO CLUE if it'll fit is super stressful.

Yes it is!! I was so thrilled my order fit. I might could have gotten by with a size smaller for the top, but I want to be able to take it off easily enough when it's wet. So I am really hoping it looks fine on when wet. (Some of the reviews complained about having trouble getting it off, but I suspect they might have ordered too small. It's iffy with swimsuits.)

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I ordered a couple of things from Land's End, by the way. And hopefully it'll all fit? I mean, who the heck knows. If not, I'll just send it all back. I purposefully ordered more than the free shipping amount because apparently that includes returns? I guess you can return Land's End stuff at Kohl's, but there isn't really a Kohl's anywhere near me. If it doesn't fit, I'm getting that Jessica Ley one.

I have returned one swimsuit to Lands end and had no problems.

(It took forever to dry and was too hard to get off when wet)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

I have not had luck with anything but bra manufacturers who size their products according to band/cup size. DDD is pathetically small for many women (most of whom are wearing the wrong size, but I digress). I look for panache and freya suits. They have rankings by model on many sites (figleaves dot com, bare necessities dot com, biggerbras dot com) and swim shorts in different sizes so you can fit both halves well.

Edited by Sneezyone

14 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Well, I am no good at shopping at all, but would this work? It has a built in bookshelf, high neck, racerback, and seems kind of sporty.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/zeroxposur-striped-tankini-swimsuit-top/ppr5008193978?pTmplType=regular

Thanks for looking. When I say boy short bottoms I mean ones that are fitted and stretchy, same material as regular swimsuit. MOre like this-- https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=811745032&vid=1&tid=onpl000017&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQiA95aRBhCsARIsAC2xvfwCrvR-xNm5o9dZQc4cBedVBX7d2RfhfDRCRhXaN1ACJlVWlJW4CdcaAvQcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&modelSize=M#pdp-page-content

But I might just go with the high-waisted bikini. It is hard to find a boy short version that I like where it hits on my thigh. I've always been hippy but have been working on building muscles and have grown my thighs even more. Many shorts that fit in the waist are too small in the thighs or make my legs look like sausages that are squeezed in too small casings. 

I think part of the trauma of swimsuit trying on is the horrible lights. It is so hard to find anything that looks good in that lighting. I swear any imperfection it highlights. It finds all your stretchmarks and cellulite, every lump and bump. I'm sure it must be men that have designed them.

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I think part of the trauma of swimsuit trying on is the horrible lights. It is so hard to find anything that looks good in that lighting. I swear any imperfection it highlights. It finds all your stretchmarks and cellulite, every lump and bump. I'm sure it must be men that have designed them.

The lighting is designed to make you feel like you are in the funhouse, mirror, horror show at the carnival. 😡

19 hours ago, Farrar said:

I actually started to cry as I engaged in this activity. I remember going with my mother once when she was about my age or a little younger and how she was so traumatized and I was just like, omg, chill out. And now I get it. I TOTALLY GET IT.

I basically feel this way about all clothing shopping now. Being on the far side of 50, post-mastectomy flat-chested (and uninterested in wearing prosthetics), a good 20 pounds heavier than I really like to be, with health issues that make wearing any "cute" shoes impossible . . . it's honestly miserable. My default response when I am invited to any event that requires me to wear anything dressier than leggings and a t-shirt is to cry.

• Sad 1

You know, it's not even that I'm that unhappy with how I look. I feel mostly fine about how I look. It's the horror of clothing being weird fitting and limited and difficult that starts to get traumatizing. A few years ago, I set out to buy some new bras and six months later, I had like 10 bras, many of which weren't really returnable and none of which were actually wearable. I had a particularly horrible interaction at Nordstrom where I was like, here's what I want and the woman brought me the one bra they've tried to sell me EVERY SINGLE EFFING TIME I've ever bra shopped at Nordstrom which met NONE of the characteristics that I asked for. I was like, go away. And then I tried taking things off the rack and just trying them on and she FOLLOWED ME AROUND telling me that none of them would work for me. So I left. I cried that day too. Finally I went to Target and tried on like 20 bras. Seriously. 20. And from that, I found one that I thought might work but they didn't have the size I needed. So I ordered it online. And it basically worked, but the material is cheap, so I have to reorder it a bunch. And it's like... WHY. Just. WHY. Why does it have to be like this?!? And it's not like there's one solution - because what works for one person won't work for others, but seriously.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

You know, it's not even that I'm that unhappy with how I look. I feel mostly fine about how I look. It's the horror of clothing being weird fitting and limited and difficult that starts to get traumatizing. A few years ago, I set out to buy some new bras and six months later, I had like 10 bras, many of which weren't really returnable and none of which were actually wearable. I had a particularly horrible interaction at Nordstrom where I was like, here's what I want and the woman brought me the one bra they've tried to sell me EVERY SINGLE EFFING TIME I've ever bra shopped at Nordstrom which met NONE of the characteristics that I asked for. I was like, go away. And then I tried taking things off the rack and just trying them on and she FOLLOWED ME AROUND telling me that none of them would work for me. So I left. I cried that day too. Finally I went to Target and tried on like 20 bras. Seriously. 20. And from that, I found one that I thought might work but they didn't have the size I needed. So I ordered it online. And it basically worked, but the material is cheap, so I have to reorder it a bunch. And it's like... WHY. Just. WHY. Why does it have to be like this?!? And it's not like there's one solution - because what works for one person won't work for others, but seriously.

I've started buying my preferred brands on Amazon. I find a style/fit that looks good and works well and buy it in every color on Amazon until it's discontinued. Panache-Clara is my jam!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

I've started buying my preferred brands on Amazon. I find a style/fit that looks good and works well and buy it in every color on Amazon until it's discontinued.

Yeah. I honestly still don't have a bra that's awesome, honestly. Certainly not one that's worth buying into the future.

I really dislike buying clothes on Amazon. If I need "plain shirt for function" or "cheap item for casual wear" then it's sometimes fine. But I have found that the vast majority of stuff on Amazon is the worst sort of fast fashion. I'd love to avoid it for ethical reasons but also for practical ones - I haven't had great luck.

I find this is one of the Catch-22's of buying clothes online. Unless you have a brand you know and love already, it's hard to find things and very hard to know if something is high quality or crap. So then we all get driven toward fast fashion and low quality because it's so much easier to think "well, this one seems better, but it's $150 and I have no idea if it'll work, but this one is $30 so even if it sort of works that will be worth it." The risk calculation is so different.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's actually mostly about comfort for me. My goal in life when it comes to clothing is to look "presentable." I don't want to look or feel slobby or out of place; I really just want to look and feel pulled together and draw as little attention to my clothing as possible. 

The problem I have is that the combination of my body shape and health issues means clothing just isn't built for me.

After the mastectomy, I tried for close to a year to find something "bra-like" that was reasonably comfortable and created any impression of shape above my waist. I went first to the euphemistically-named "spa" at the cancer center, where a professional fitter helped me select a couple of options that I ended up hating once I had worn them for a while. Adding insult to injury was the fact that, although I had been assured my insurance would cover these items as medically necessary, my after-insurance contribution was over $200. 

Then I tried a variety of other mastectomy-specific products ordered online, a bunch of different sports bras, a couple of "training bras," some camisoles with built-in shelves . . . I even -- and anyone who knows me knows how much this took out of me to do -- spent money and asked for help. Eventually, I decided that a basic sleeveless undershirt worked better for me than anything. They do nothing to create any shape at all, but I've gotten accustomed to being flat. They are comfortable and easy to find and inexpensive and provide a kind of "security blanket" extra layer because decades of wearing bras makes me feel weird and exposed without something between skin and shirt. (I've since transitioned to wearing a style intended for girls, because they are slightly prettier and come in more colors.) 

But after all of that exploration and experimentation and seeking of help from experts, I ended up out a lot of dollars and with a drawer full of items I would never, ever wear.

(To circle back around to the original topic: I also have a drawer full of swimsuits I ordered last year when we moved into a house with a neighborhood pool. Try finding a suit that fits -- let alone flatters -- a post-mastectomy, flat-chested body without prosthetics and with a belly.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Sad 1

Lands End is running 40% off right now on their swimsuits.

They hold up very well to regular chlorine exposure.  We have a bromine system in our hot tub but chlorine is part of the sanitizer mix.  Most of our suits only last a year or so, but the Lands End ones are still looking great four years on....

I totally hear you about bra trauma. I recently tried on 40 bras and not a single dang one fit well. 

12 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yeah. I honestly still don't have a bra that's awesome, honestly. Certainly not one that's worth buying into the future.

I really dislike buying clothes on Amazon. If I need "plain shirt for function" or "cheap item for casual wear" then it's sometimes fine. But I have found that the vast majority of stuff on Amazon is the worst sort of fast fashion. I'd love to avoid it for ethical reasons but also for practical ones - I haven't had great luck.

I find this is one of the Catch-22's of buying clothes online. Unless you have a brand you know and love already, it's hard to find things and very hard to know if something is high quality or crap. So then we all get driven toward fast fashion and low quality because it's so much easier to think "well, this one seems better, but it's $150 and I have no idea if it'll work, but this one is $30 so even if it sort of works that will be worth it." The risk calculation is so different.

I used to have very good luck with White House black market but then I grew. Not bergdorfs but not steinmart either.

• Like 1