Menu

Swimsuits?

Farrar

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yeah. I honestly still don't have a bra that's awesome, honestly. Certainly not one that's worth buying into the future.

I really dislike buying clothes on Amazon. If I need "plain shirt for function" or "cheap item for casual wear" then it's sometimes fine. But I have found that the vast majority of stuff on Amazon is the worst sort of fast fashion. I'd love to avoid it for ethical reasons but also for practical ones - I haven't had great luck.

I find this is one of the Catch-22's of buying clothes online. Unless you have a brand you know and love already, it's hard to find things and very hard to know if something is high quality or crap. So then we all get driven toward fast fashion and low quality because it's so much easier to think "well, this one seems better, but it's $150 and I have no idea if it'll work, but this one is $30 so even if it sort of works that will be worth it." The risk calculation is so different.

And then there is the awful truth that ordering things online assuming you can return them if they don't work almost always means you're creating waste even if you buy from "good" brands. An astonishingly small percentage of returned items actually go back in stock, because it's too much trouble and/or too expensive for the retailers to bother with it. Some gets donated or sold off in bulk at a discount, but an upsettingly large amount literally gets discarded.

• Like 1