Menu

Do people in ed admin smell their baloney, or are they that indoctrinated?

Carrie12345

Srsly. 

Kindergarten bodies are policed (esp school based kindergarten).

Here's an example: from Week 4 of kindergarten where I work,  the (mostly) 4 year olds in our care are expected to have learned that going to the toilet is for before and after school, and break time.

They're not banned from the toilet at other times, but we are meant to discourage it. The goal is that kindergarten bladders and bowels will begin to function according to school rules. 

I never discourage it, always allow it, but I'm not meant to do that. Kindergarten is explicitly about the shaping of children to fit themselves to school needs. 

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I remember when someone declared that homeschool  kids didn't know how to stand in line. I just started laughing- post office lines, check out lines, Disney lines, etc, ettc, etc,.

When my kids were young, we went on a field trip with a couple other families to a museum.  One of the docents, who was very "teacher-like",  was complaining about how homeschooled kids don't stand in line.  The other docent, an older man who clearly loved having us because the kids were excited and engaged, said "homeschoolers don't stand in a straight line.  They clump.  But they manage to wait their turn!"  

Yeah, our kids didn't learn to stand in a perfectly straight line in school, but learned roughly how to line up and wait at the grocery store and at the movies.  People who know each other usually don't stand in perfectly straight lines. You only do that with strangers.  

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

And, as for slides...our rule was always that if you were alone at the park or on the equipment, you could play however you wanted.  If there was another kid who wanted to play the same, way, it was fine.  If anybody wanted to use the slide (or other equipment) in the manner in which it was intended to be used, they had priority over you wanting to use it differently.  That seemed easy enough for even my preschoolers.  

Same here. You can go up the slide as long as there are not other kids there using it for going down. Usually we avoid crowded playgrounds, but they know that rule, and I enforce it strictly - going down has priority over going up. And if it is busy, don't even try to go up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Srsly. 

Kindergarten bodies are policed (esp school based kindergarten).

Here's an example: from Week 4 of kindergarten where I work,  the (mostly) 4 year olds in our care are expected to have learned that going to the toilet is for before and after school, and break time.

They're not banned from the toilet at other times, but we are meant to discourage it. The goal is that kindergarten bladders and bowels will begin to function according to school rules. 

I never discourage it, always allow it, but I'm not meant to do that. Kindergarten is explicitly about the shaping of children to fit themselves to school needs. 

?? I do this with my kids at home too.  Don’t most people have their kids potty before getting into the car or putting on snowsuits or pulling out the finger paints?  Learning to think ahead and go at a break instead of having to urgently go in the middle of something is an appropriate skill to be teaching at that age.  

• Like 5

Carpet squares are yet another example of how indoctrinated school teachers can be.  Sure, a carpet square is a good idea for that kid who can't yet grasp the abstraction of personal space and staying put, so a smart teacher, who was probably married to a carpet salesman, took some in and had the kids sit on them so that kid had something more concrete to go on.  Now it's considered an essential practice for all kids.  Ugh!

And seat work?  We used to know that God (or nature or whatever you believe in) didn't design/evolve human children to sit for 7 hours a day because....uh...have you met a human child before? High energy isn't a bug, it's a feature. And now they think something's wrong with kids who aren't sitting still for long stretches all day like couch potatoes.....Oh, and on an unrelated (!?!?) note, we have a childhood obesity epidemic.  Weird. Wonder what that's about.

These are the professionals in charge of our nation's kids 9 months out of the year.

• Like 16

15 hours ago, Danae said:

?? I do this with my kids at home too.  Don’t most people have their kids potty before getting into the car or putting on snowsuits or pulling out the finger paints?  Learning to think ahead and go at a break instead of having to urgently go in the middle of something is an appropriate skill to be teaching at that age.  

Yes it is. I teach Catechist of the Good Shepherd ages 3-6 and we always advise them to go before session begins. And there is not food or drink available during session.  Granted sessions are never longer than 2 hours. But still we always go before leaving and often first thing when we get somewhere.  Obviously we are not going to insist they make a mess of themselves trying to hold it but the entire premise of going before and after events is to never have to hold it to begin with. Now I will say I think the time frame for breaks for all ages is way too infrequent and too far apart. 

Edited by Murphy101

My DS17’s elementary school principal was a math teacher, and then went from principal to being in charge of math curriculum at the district office. He and his wife definitely know that it’s baloney but he isn’t going to rock his rice bowl. Honestly it’s more of do what I say not what I do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Yes, I always took my kids to the bathroom before I thought they would need it, and certainly tried to avoid interruptions in the middle of things like car drives, shows, church services, etc.  (Though one of my kids always, always needed to poo just after her first bite of dinner.  It was a running joke that every time my first forkful of food was headed for my mouth, she'd ask for a trip to the bathroom.  :P)

I do understand that for some very young kids, they don't actually know how to make themselves go.  But hopefully by KG that is not usually an issue?

A KG teacher once explained to me why she forced all the kids to line up and go to the bathroom right after lunch.  Apparently some of the kids would just pee themselves without warning if they weren't told to go.  Whether it's because the kids were too shy to ask, or because the teacher couldn't learn all 20+ kids' individual "signs" in time to avoid disaster, it made more sense to say "everyone go pee" than to deal with frequent avoidable accidents.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Of course, but at the kindy age, some kids are better at this skill than others. The expectation is that these (still little) kids should have the skill mastered before arriving at kindy because they can't waste time on these skills. The teachers need the time for academics. 😕 

2 hours ago, Danae said:

No. 

My goal with 3-6 year olds is to get them to be in tune with their own bodies; urinate when their bladder tells them 'I'm full!' + notice in a timely way the urge to defecate. 

I never made my kids go 'just in case' because it interferes with that process. 

Older kids, or kids who have already moved through that process, can have some ability to adapt; four year olds should be able to pee when their bodies tell them 'I need to pee!'. Not when Miss Melissa Louise' says it's everyone's toilet time. 

A lot of younger children can't 'go' on demand, and prefer to go with only one other child, not the whole team. 

But it's just one element of controlling children's bodies. The most egregious I'm seeing ATM is making an autistic four year old stay in his seat, when he is clearly sensorily overwhelmed and needs to self regulate through moving/stimmimg. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Of course, but at the kindy age, some kids are better at this skill than others. The expectation is that these (still little) kids should have the skill mastered before arriving at kindy because they can't waste time on these skills. The teachers need the time for academics. 😕 

If they arrived at six, this would be reasonable. They arrive at four, a lot of ours, and it just isn't reasonable. There's massive growth between four and five, and five and six. 

School is not always pleasant for small people 🙁

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

A huge, enormous part of teacher training (as a former classroom teacher in a public school) is Classroom management - how to make 20-40 kids all do the same thing. 

Little Soldiers by Lenora Chu, about a young American boy who attends a Chinese school, gets into some interesting specifics about how Chinese schools manage this. They of course start academics early, and they highly value the children not just sitting quietly at their seat, but sitting a very specific way. All of the kids are trained to have the left arm here, the right arm there, your legs and feet specifically positioned. I think this is related to crowded classrooms in addition to quiet, but it's been a while since I read it. 

9 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I remember when someone declared that homeschool  kids didn't know how to stand in line. I just started laughing- post office lines, check out lines, Disney lines, etc, ettc, etc,.

When people would seriously ask me how my kids would learn to stand in line, I would seriously respond that we were aware of the importance and thus took them to Disney World every year. 

5 hours ago, SKL said:

but they did punish kids for being kids by taking away things kids need.  Recess was commonly taken away for unfinished seat work.   

I hate this so much. All kids need breaks and movement. Seat work often goes unfinished exactly because they haven't had a break, and they can no longer sit still or concentrate. 

3 hours ago, Danae said:

I don't know that I agree it's a super-important skill to teach at 4. I was kind of halfway about it: I would remind them before getting in the car, because there wasn't always a place to stop in a timely manner, but not generally before anything at home. I didn't care if going to the restroom was the very first thing we did upon arrival somewhere, lol, it goes with the territory. I agree with @Melissa Louisethat you want to give them autonomy in this as much as possible. Yes, this did result in frequently stripping off bathing suits that just got wet and wiping off hands covered in paint, but we were home, no big deal. 

Kinder breaks can also be few and far between, or just poorly timed for a lot of kids. Placing too much emphasis on going at the 'right' time and being irritated when they need to go at the 'wrong' time can lead to a lot of anxiety and shame. I'm glad for the kids at schools that get it right, but it's an easy thing to get wrong. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Danae said:

I have my kids "try" to go before leaving the house etc, but I also encourage them to listen to their bodies and not worry about what we are in the middle of to take care of their needs. I do and can hold it as an adult but I am having to unlearn this behavior as an adult because it's not good for me. I'm not going to start training it in my kids.

• Like 1

So, just to jump in on the bladder and pee discussion, I read recently that while we all know it's not healthy to routinely hold it in for extended periods of time - but it's *also* not healthy, in the long run, to force yourself to pee "just in case" when you really don't have to. Either way, you run the risk of leakage leading to infection.

Unfortunately, I can't quite track down where I read that, but hopefully somebody who knows more can help us out.

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

So, just to jump in on the bladder and pee discussion, I read recently that while we all know it's not healthy to routinely hold it in for extended periods of time - but it's *also* not healthy, in the long run, to force yourself to pee "just in case" when you really don't have to. Either way, you run the risk of leakage leading to infection.

Unfortunately, I can't quite track down where I read that, but hopefully somebody who knows more can help us out.

I have a kid with kidney/bladder problems - yep, either way (too full or too empty) it's not the best for your bladder. 

https://thephysiospot.ca/blog/f/just-in-case-peeing-the-bad-habit-you-didn’t-even-know-you-had#:~:text=While the “just in case,isn't actually full yet.&text=If you frequently practice the,may cause bladder signaling dysfunction.

https://www.healthing.ca/wellness/just-in-case-peeing-is-bad-for-your-bladder/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OK well peeing all over the place must have negative implications also.  😛

FTR my kids can hold their water like camels.  😛  Peeing before leaving home and before engaging in certain activities must not have been that awful.

I also think we can't generalize what studies show for adults to what works for little kids.

On the topic of dumb things public schools do, there's the insanity of teaching ways to increase the odds of guessing a right answer when you don't know the answer.  Um, teachers and administrators, what is the point of taking a test?  To assess what a child knows.  OK, teachers and admin, if that's the point of giving a test why are you teaching them strategies to appear to know something when they don't? That's exactly the opposite of the purpose of testing.

This is one of many reasons people abroad think Americans are stupid.  Sometimes Americans are stupid.

Edited by HS Mom in NC
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I actually told one of my former school colleagues when she was concerned that my then 5 yr old wouldn’t know how to stand in line that “we went to Disney World”. 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, HS Mom in NC said:

On the topic of dumb things public schools do, there's the insanity of teaching ways to increase the odds of guessing a right answer when you don't know the answer.  Um, teachers and administrators, what is the point of taking a test?  To assess what a child knows.  OK, teachers and admin, if that's the point of giving a test why are you teaching them strategies to appear to know something when they don't? That's exactly the opposite of the purpose of testing.

This is one of many reasons people abroad think Americans are stupid.  Sometimes Americans are stupid.

I both agree and disagree with this. I think increasing the odds of taking what you do know and turning it into a way to salvage something is resourceful and crosses over to other areas of life. We use tangential information all the time to make judgment calls and to problem-solve when something new comes up. Devoting significant class time to learning how to do this for a test might not be that useful, but giving the student the same skill via other activities where it's more appropriate and necessary would give the same advantage in a test situation and would likely be more applicable to life.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily always measure what the student knows about a specific discipline. 

16 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

The other docent, an older man who clearly loved having us because the kids were excited and engaged, said "homeschoolers don't stand in a straight line.  They clump.  But they manage to wait their turn!"  

People who know each other usually don't stand in perfectly straight lines. You only do that with strangers.  

I hadn't really thought about it that way. That's insightful.

I have mixed experiences with the waiting turns with homeschoolers, lol, but I tended to be in groups of difficult kids (we had our own tiny co-op for it), or in groups that were getting together mostly for field trips where some kids know each other and some don't (ditto for parents).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

I also think we can't generalize what studies show for adults to what works for little kids.

I believe they have studied these things for adults and kids. Bladder issues are also a big issue in potty training, a significant number of kids get constipated during potty training because they are toying with holding etc. I mean there are more serious issues, but constipation is one common and not totally life-threatening issue. It can escalate to UTI's, problems holding/eliminating, etc.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I both agree and disagree with this. I think increasing the odds of taking what you do know and turning it into a way to salvage something is resourceful and crosses over to other areas of life. We use tangential information all the time to make judgment calls and to problem-solve when something new comes up. Devoting significant class time to learning how to do this for a test might not be that useful, but giving the student the same skill via other activities where it's more appropriate and necessary would give the same advantage in a test situation and would likely be more applicable to life.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily always measure what the student knows about a specific discipline. 

Right, but I wasn't talking about in being universally a bad idea. My point wasn't, "never teach it," my point was precisely about a very specific context.  It's obviously stupid in the context I described because it's counter productive to the context's intended purpose, yet every teacher I had taught students this stupid, counter productive practice.  Why? Were the teachers incapable of thinking through the implications? It's alarming if that's the case. If they could think it through, what could possibly motivate them to continue doing so? They're setting themselves and students up for unnecessary problems in the future by sabotaging the means of identifying learning gaps.   If they're not capable of thinking through implications what exactly ARE we teaching them in teacher training courses?

And I don't think most kids are "taught" to hold it, they want to have control over these things they can control.  On their own, they often choose to continue doing fun stuff until they really can't wait another minute.  Which is fine during unstructured time when a bathroom is available.

I don't think people send their kids to preschool/kg to learn how to do that.  Normally they learn that at home well before KG age.

Going when it isn't urgent is a different skill.  I remember as a little kid being told to go when I "couldn't."  I didn't know how to release it, and my mom didn't know how to teach me.  I used a different method with my kids, and they were able to go when prompted before they could walk.  It was helpful for us.

My experience with KG/primary is that they encourage group potty times, but still have a restroom off the classroom for urgent situations.  AFAIK nobody gets in trouble for needing to use that.  It recognizes that there is a range of ability in kids.  By 2nd or 3rd grade, most kids don't need "plan B."

I think one possible issue is the "need" for two-deep adult supervision.  With each child following his/her individual biological clock, how is that supposed to be staffed?

My closest friend is a kindergarten teacher.  Unfortunately many of the kids have not learned any kind of "minding" or listening to an adult.  She is literally teaching basic human respect/interactions to some of them.  We're not talking about kids being rowdy or whatever.  And many of the ones who skipped KG for Covid are really struggling in 1st or 2nd grade.  I don't favor condescending to parents (or kids) but KG teachers can put up with a lot!

Adding:  I really thought this was about actual bologna when I read the title and couldn't quite make sense of it! 🤣

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Adding:  I really thought this was about actual bologna when I read the title and couldn't quite make sense of it! 🤣

Sorry about that, lol.
When I’m writing informally, I can’t stop the naughty words from being in my thoughts, but I do try to find replacements to stick to the rules here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, SKL said:

I think one possible issue is the "need" for two-deep adult supervision.  With each child following his/her individual biological clock, how is that supposed to be staffed?

One way a private school I looked at did this is a bathroom in the kindergarten classroom (2 stales and a few sinks with a divided door to the area). So, kids did not have to be escorted out of the classroom down the hall to the bathroom. I believe at that school they strategically located the first-grade classrooms close to the communal hall bathroom. 

4 hours ago, SKL said:

One possible issue is the "need" for two-deep adult supervision.  With each child following his/her individual biological clock, how is that supposed to be staffed?

Two-deep leadership is more of a volunteer program thing (Scouts, churches). Schools and daycares don't have two adults escorting children to the bathroom, or supervising them in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

One way a private school I looked at did this is a bathroom in the kindergarten classroom (2 stales and a few sinks with a divided door to the area). So, kids did not have to be escorted out of the classroom down the hall to the bathroom. I believe at that school they strategically located the first-grade classrooms close to the communal hall bathroom. 

My public school kindergarten had its own entrance, bathroom, coat room, outdoor playground, and indoor jungle gym and was the only classroom on a short hallway. It was also right next to the cafeteria/multi-purpose room and gym. The school was basically designed to give the kindergartners as much separation from the rest of the school as possible.

10 hours ago, Clarita said:

My public school had a little bathroom in it in the kindergarten classroom too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

My public school had a little bathroom in it in the kindergarten classroom too.  

I've been in many schools. Almost all have this for kindergarten. Many also have them for the first grade classrooms.

• Like 1

As far as layout, a bathroom off the classroom is required for child care, but not, legally, for PS K or preschool. Most buildings built to be elementary schools will have one, but if it was originally built as a middle or high school...heaven help those poor kindergarten bladders-and their teachers. One of the schools I taught in actually had some K classes in what had been the PE locker rooms when it was a high school, specifically due to bathroom access. 

One of the most frustrating things about ECED is that we actually know a lot about better, if not best, practices, and most states pay at least some lip service to that for licensed child care, but it all goes out the window the second a class is placed in a public school. Two adults per room? Nope. Class size limit of 10-1/20-2 for 4 yr olds and 12-1/25/2 for 5 yr olds? Nope. Running water and bathroom access without having to get adult permission? Nope. Required rest period in the afternoon? Nope. Required to have at least 120 minutes of gross motor activity if in care 6+ hourS, outdoors if weather permits? Nope. Limit of 30 minutes of seated, teacher directed activity per 4 hour time span? Nope. 

We literally teach college students all this stuff about what is needed for kids birth-age 7, and from their first practicum in a public school, none of it is followed. Yet, only the public school jobs  pay enough (and have the benefits needed) to really make them viable as a long term career. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:41 AM, Carrie12345 said:

This is an honest question.

I got my school district’s newsletter in the mail yesterday, and the front page article, written by our curriculum & instruction person (with a PhD,) is on the importance of kindergarten. Now, I don’t exactly knock kindergarten.  It’s a valid option that should always be available to all children/families. But the article is just full of garbage, in addition to sounding like an essay written by an 8th grader, with questionable punctuation.

”Where do you think a student learns how to raise their hand? Or sit on a rug square? Not climb up the slide?”  These are the questions posed in the 4th of 6.5 paragraphs. (Points for diverting from the formulaic 5. Subtraction for the lackluster conclusion sentence tacked on to the end.)

I KNOW there are some crummy parents out there, but I deeply resent the idea that we should all be spoken to as if that’s us.  Not necessarily for the specific examples pegged, though I was that mom at the playground who’s kids weren’t allowed to climb up the slide, my weirdos raise their hands at home when they can’t get a word in edgewise, and no one has ever needed to sit on a carpet square. It’s the insistence that an institution is absolutely necessary to make functional humans and parents are insufficient by “nature”. It just feels gross.

My husband was just saying the other day how his coworkers do not all know how to sit on a small square rug in a group so he may have to fire them.......🤪

• Haha 14

When I was 11 my family moved to France. Rules of behavior in a French classroom were quite different from what I had experienced before. For example, when a teacher entered the room all students stood up politely and intoned in unison "bonjour Madame ...."  then waited for the teacher's permission to sit down. It took me all of maybe two class periods to get the hang of this and know what was expected.

Really too bad I missed out on the instruction in kindergarten...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, maize said:

When I was 11 my family moved to France. Rules of behavior in a French classroom were quite different from what I had experienced before. For example, when a teacher entered the room all students stood up politely and intoned in unison "bonjour Madame ...."  then waited for the teacher's permission to sit down. It took me all of maybe two class periods to get the hang of this and know what was expected.

Really too bad I missed out on the instruction in kindergarten...

But can you sit on a square? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I take and sometimes teach karate. The idea that most kids learn to stand or sit in their spot in kindergarten is laughable. They're all over the place at age 7! Whatever they're doing to make robots isn't actually working (thank goodness).

I'm being a little snarky, but some of the crowd control measures I see in schools make me itch.

Edited by elroisees
Spelling!!
  • Like 4

Don't forget Harry Chapin's 'Flowers are Red'. It was shared as a poem in our homeschool group when I first began to homeschool (a former public school teacher). I loved it! A good reminder on those tough days with your children at home. Yes, you want them home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

😳

I agree.

I have similar slide rules as others have mentioned. Down takes priority and my kids are not allowed to go over to a slide that kids are going down on and start climbing up willy-nilly.

However, if my kids are happily climbing up an unused slide, and other kids come over to play, I mindfully hesitate before stepping in to "correct" my kids. Climbing up is only "incorrect" if the other kids want to go down. That moment when other kids walk over - that is "socialization". That is an opportunity (a rare opportunity nowadays) for a group of kids to make an authentic decision about what rules their small society thinks are best. As long as my kids accept that down takes priority, I see no harm in them asking other kids if they want to climb up instead or if they can take turns going up and down. 

• Like 7

The bathroom talk reminds me of a long-term sub job I took at a high school a few years ago. They had a problem with students vaping in the bathrooms, so admin’s intelligent solution was to ban using the bathrooms without an administrator escort.

I had a bathroom right across from my classroom, but if a student (yes, 16-18 year olds) had to pee, I was supposed to call the office, have someone from the other side of the building walk over, and only when they arrived did my student get to pee. The whole process was annoyingly disruptive.

I was already not wanting to be a career teacher anymore at that point, so I was just sending students to the bathroom anyway. I couldn’t have been the only one because we received many passive aggressive emails about “students alone in the halls” 😂.

Imagine being a person old enough to be recruited for war, but not old enough to use the bathroom alone. 

Policing bodies isn’t just at the K level. 

Edited by GoodnightMoogle
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2