Menu

Am needing urgent positive thoughts for my sister

Melissa in Australia

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I'm so sorry!  I know hospitals are postponing elective surgeries, but I haven't heard of places not allowing emergency surgeries.  I hope things have improved for your sister since you last posted on here.

“Elective” unfortunately doesn’t mean optional the way it sounds. It basically means planned, scheduled surgeries (rather than ones that arise as emergencies). I wish more discretion was used in choosing which can and can’t be postponed—it’s awful they postponed in this case.  It sounds like the ban has been lifted now (though many nurses are protesting that and say it’s too soon).

I hope today sees an improvement for your sister, Melissa, and that she will be stable enough to operate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, maize said:

Doesn't surgery in a case like this at some point become emergent not elective?

1 hour ago, KSera said:

“Elective” unfortunately doesn’t mean optional the way it sounds. It basically means planned, scheduled surgeries (rather than ones that arise as emergencies). I wish more discretion was used in choosing which can and can’t be postponed—it’s awful they postponed in this case.  It sounds like the ban has been lifted now (though many nurses are protesting that and say it’s too soon).

I hope today sees an improvement for your sister, Melissa, and that she will be stable enough to operate. 

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

I'm so sorry!  I know hospitals are postponing elective surgeries, but I haven't heard of places not allowing emergency surgeries.  I hope things have improved for your sister since you last posted on here.

Gallbladders surgery isn't always straightforward.

Cholecystectomy for biliary colic (intermittent pain that fully resolves) = elective

Cholecystectomy for cholecystitis (progression to inflamed galllbladder that does not resolve) = urgent or emergent (depending on degree)surgery if indicated, but surgery is not always indicated.  There are a lot of factors to consider, and the decision-making process is complicated, but in some cases operating on an inflamed+/- infected gallbladder can make the patient worse, not better - increased morbidity and mortality.  Protocol in those cases is to treat with antibiotics and sometimes a percutaneous drain, then operate weeks later once the acute inflammation and infection have resolved.

So with gallbladders, it can go from "elective" to "can't operate".  And suspension of elective surgery because of hospital overwhelm means that more people will progress from the former to the later.  It's a very unfortunate consequence of what amounts to informal pandemic triage.

Melissa, I'm holding you and your sister in the light.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9

I don’t have any updates. Haven’t heard anything since last night.

the blanket ban on all surgery statewide except emergency (life or death like bad car crash) has affected a huge amount of people. It wasn’t because of hospitals  becoming overwhelmed. There are surgical wards all over the state sitting completely idle. Surgeons all over have been going to the media saying there is the capacity but they are not allowed to operate. It s all to do with a power hungry tyrant that is the premier in this state. The hospital my sister was in doesn’t have a single Covid case. All Covid cases are shifted to a few designated hospitals in the state

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 29

Oh Melissa, that’s just awful!

It would have been at least a bit different if hospitals were full and there was no ability to do the surgeries, but knowing that the surgery could have happened is so disgusting and horrible! Your family must be so frustrated and angry in addition to being so worried about your sister.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don’t have any updates. Haven’t heard anything since last night.

the blanket ban on all surgery statewide except emergency (life or death like bad car crash) has affected a huge amount of people. It wasn’t because of hospitals  becoming overwhelmed. There are surgical wards all over the state sitting completely idle. Surgeons all over have been going to the media saying there is the capacity but they are not allowed to operate. It s all to do with a power hungry tyrant that is the premier in this state. The hospital my sister was in doesn’t have a single Covid case. All Covid cases are shifted to a few designated hospitals in the state

I think they announced yesterday they are restarting some surgeries here but I haven’t seen the details yet. I have someone close whose surgery has been delayed and while it’s not immediately life threatening, it could be long-term. Hopefully VIC will have a similar shift soon. I know someone who controlled gallbladder with diet for a long time before needing surgery but it sounds like it’s passed that stage. Hoping for some better news for you soon.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think they announced yesterday they are restarting some surgeries here but I haven’t seen the details yet. I have someone close whose surgery has been delayed and while it’s not immediately life threatening, it could be long-term. Hopefully VIC will have a similar shift soon. I know someone who controlled gallbladder with diet for a long time before needing surgery but it sounds like it’s passed that stage. Hoping for some better news for you soon.

I had read that Victoria was lifting it as of “Monday” but wasn’t clear if that was last Monday or next Monday. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

An sort of update. She hasn’t been transported her to Melbourne. No  transport ambulance available.

Oh no! It is one terrible update after another. 😞 

Is there anyone in the family who can arrange for a private ambulance to take her to the other hospital, or is there any kind of medical helicopter service available to get her to an even-better hospital?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

I had read that Victoria was lifting it as of “Monday” but wasn’t clear if that was last Monday or next Monday. 

Next Monday. They're just lifting the ban, only allowing up to 50% of capacity.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/elective-surgery-ban-lifted-as-1-4-billion-invested-into-healthcare-system-20220204-p59tr7.html

So sorry Melissa, things are a sh*t show here at the moment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Update

she only made it 40 km then her heart rate started plummeting so they rushed her to the closest hospital. It is 250 km from Melbourne. She was 300 km from Melbourne at the other hospital,  bigger than the hospital she was at.  She is in resus. She is no longer able to communicate with my mum, but was able to tell the doctor to ring my mum. I think my mum might be her emergency contact. The have stabilised her a bit, her heart is going too slow. I don’t know all the medical terms, but she isn’t getting enough oxygen through the tube in her nose, so they might run one down. They are going to do a lot of tests to try work out what exactly is going on. Mum said she doesn’t expect to hear anything for a few hours.

• Sad 32

4 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

another update.

that hospital has decided that they cannot do the tests she needs and they have stabilized her a bit . they have just called for an ambulance and are sending her to Melbourne. 

Is helicopter transport not used for urgent cases there? I hope the rest of the trip to Melbourne goes smoothly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Is helicopter transport not used for urgent cases there? I hope the rest of the trip to Melbourne goes smoothly. 

There is helicopter transport for super urgent like car crash etc. planes are also used for not so urgent. I don’t know why they are using road.  I don’t know how they work out what to use

• Like 1
  • Sad 1