Menu

FYI - Ikea has almost nothing in stock!

ktgrok

Ok, that was an exaggeration. But we'd planned and planned to buy a bunch of new furniture once we closed on the house. We budgeted for this. We do NOT want to take our reeking of the smell of dog, beat up, decade old couch with us!!! Plus we need a second couch, as we will have a formal living room. Plus we need another bed frame as one kid has been sleeping on the roll out trundle bed, and we need more dressers, etc. 

Come to find out, Ikea has HUGE issues with inventory. NONE of the couches or dressers I wanted are in stock locally, or even across the state. UGH!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

I'm sorry!! We just made a purchase with IKEA in Ohio, and thankfully, they had the product we wanted in stock. We were there helping my MIL, so I said we had to stop by there on our way home. 

There are so many problems with supply chains right now. We bought a brand new dining table and chairs in August. The table came right away, but at the end of September, we were still waiting on the chairs. The store ended up giving us some off the floor. We're still waiting on two more of them. 

I hope you find what you need! Maybe some used furniture or antique stores would have something that would work. 

Ugh. I REALLY don't want 2nd hand couches, you know? Just..icky. If I'm spending money, I wanted what I wanted, lol. 

Dressers...I can find something. It's for the kids, so not anything spectacular. 

They also don't have the bedframes i was looking at, but I can maybe get that at amazon. 

The couches though...really wanted new couches. Mine has washable, removable covers, but the cushions themselves at this point have an odor I can't get rid of. Blergh. 

11 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Ikea is having major shortages worldwide that are expected to continue for at least another year, according to what I have read.

Yup. 

We may have to settle for something different than we planned. I had wanted a sleeper sofa, because although we will have extra sleeping areas upstairs if my parents stayed I didn't want mom dealing with stairs. But Honestly, my sister is 10 minutes away, and my parents could stay at her house, and my sister's kids stay at my house, or whatever. 

Still leaves the issue of if they babysat overnight. My son's bed is downstairs, but it is really high, and not safe for my mom. 

Or, we get a sofa bed elsewhere, but it won't have the removable, washable fabric I liked. But maybe get other slip covers. 

Edited by ktgrok

We are at the tail end of a five year, mainly DIY remodel, and will likely not have LR furniture, except for our wood antiques, until late Spring, despite ordering in the summer (not from IKEA). We might have DR furniture by the holidays and our study sleeper couch perhaps a bit sooner. We had to move everything to our basement recently for our wood floors to be refinished and so far we’ve resisted bringing up anything that isn’t going to permanently upstairs with the exception of our small kitchen table and chairs. At this point, our dog has the most complete furniture upstairs because she has two dog beds (we do have our bed and dresser upstairs). If I want to sit on a couch or soft chair, I need to go downstairs to our spare bedroom or informal family room in the unfinished part of our basement. But after living in a construction zone for the last five years and using a hot plate and toaster oven for the last 18 months (our stove broke at the beginning of the pandemic and we didn’t want to replace until we the kitchen remodel was complete), it actually doesn’t seem so bad. It’s amazing what you get used to.

On the other hand, all of our kitchen appliances, from three different companies, arrived far sooner than anyone said they would and way before we were ready for them. Fortunately, the appliance store we bought them from was willing to store them for us. 

• Like 2

I was lucky to get a couple of Farlov sofas and two small tables a year ago, but everything else I have had on my Ikea wishlist for the last year and a half has been out of stock every time I check — including basics like plain Billy bookcases. I'm about to give up on the chair and ottoman I want and order something else (that is unfortunately much more expensive). The biggest issue for me though is that I was about to embark on a total gut kitchen remodel and was just waiting for the spring Ikea kitchen sale when covid hit. Half my appliances don't work, the cabinets are falling apart, and I am desperate to get it done, but at this point I'm thinking it will be late spring or early summer, if then.

• Like 1

I had planned to buy a new desk from Ikea with blue Alex drawers in June of 2020.  I had been planning it for about 6 months prior to my planned purchase date.  And then COVID hit and all desks were gone and then I found at that IKEA had planned to redo their ALEX drawers in 2020 and the blue was being discontinued and that the black/brown (my second choice) was having quality control issues and wouldn't be available until October of 2020.  I absolutely needed it by August so some random day I looked at Ikea stocks and saw they had15 black brown drawers in stock I hopped in the car (I was literally on the road in less than 5 minutes from seeing they had them in stock) and drove 2 hours to our nearest IKEA just to get those pieces.  They were down to 3 by the time I got there and by the time I did the return 2 hour drive they were sold out.  It's pretty crazy to have to make a 4 hours drive on no notice but I was determined to get my furniture!

Hope you can find something that will work.  I hate shopping in the IKEA store (it's too big and overwhelming for me) but I really like their furniture.

In April of 2020 Dd ordered some furniture from IKEA, paid for it, and a delivery date was scheduled. The delivery date came but no furniture arrived. They were told ‘it didn’t make it on the truck’ and would be there the next week. More than 9 months later, it was finally delivered. Sure, that happened during the pandemic, but it was ordered at the beginning and was listed as in stock, and ‘out for delivery’ and such. bad IKEA.  Furthermore, they wouldn’t refund the entire amount-they said they wouldn’t refund the delivery fee! For things they didn’t have and couldn’t deliver!  So they stuck it out and waited 9 months for delivery. It was crazy. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I had planned to buy a new desk from Ikea with blue Alex drawers in June of 2020.  I had been planning it for about 6 months prior to my planned purchase date.  And then COVID hit and all desks were gone and then I found at that IKEA had planned to redo their ALEX drawers in 2020 and the blue was being discontinued and that the black/brown (my second choice) was having quality control issues and wouldn't be available until October of 2020.  I absolutely needed it by August so some random day I looked at Ikea stocks and saw they had15 black brown drawers in stock I hopped in the car (I was literally on the road in less than 5 minutes from seeing they had them in stock) and drove 2 hours to our nearest IKEA just to get those pieces.  They were down to 3 by the time I got there and by the time I did the return 2 hour drive they were sold out.  It's pretty crazy to have to make a 4 hours drive on no notice but I was determined to get my furniture!

Hope you can find something that will work.  I hate shopping in the IKEA store (it's too big and overwhelming for me) but I really like their furniture.

I did see I could set up alerts, so Ikea will email me if what I wanted comes in stock. We only live about 30 minutes away, so can rush right over!

• Like 5

Still waiting on a couch we ordered in March (not IKEA). It's supposed to arrive in December but since it's been delayed 3x already I'll believe it when I see it. I won't be surprised if the currently projected 9 months becomes a full year. The crazy thing is it's a local furniture maker! They just had tons of orders during the pandemic and difficulty getting materials. 

Order what your heart desires and figure out a cheap solution to fill in the months (or year?!) until then. 

Only you can decide if the cheap/acceptable solution is moving the furniture you have or buying a futon, benches, bean bags or whatever you can find in stock. I'm hopeful that the shift to 24/7 unloading of container ships in Huntington and Long Beach will help, but there's a crazy backlog. 

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

You don't want a couch from Ikea anyway. No one actually wants a couch from Ikea, they just end up with them and two years later wonder what that lumpy mess is in that back room.

LOL, well our current couch is from Ikea, and has held up well other than the stench from dogs, toddlers, and who knows what else. I have really liked being able to take the cushion covers off and wash them. 

• Like 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

LOL, well our current couch is from Ikea, and has held up well other than the stench from dogs, toddlers, and who knows what else. I have really liked being able to take the cushion covers off and wash them. 

Yeah, we have the foldable futon thingy from Ikea in our basement and it's actually totally fine. I just think their main sofas are dire. If it's for a bonus room... I'd do it too. I'd just do it knowing I was likely to regret it one day. But we have bad luck with sofas. We have a newish Joybird that I'm loving, but I have no idea how I'll feel about it in three years.

I feel your pain! We’ve been waiting for six months! We ordered a couch and three chairs for our living room. One of the chairs came last week - still waiting on the rest. 

Try somewhere like Rooms to Go and just see what they have on stock. If you don’t special order there may be something in their warehouse. 

I’m a wait for what I want person. Can you get an inexpensive futon from Walmart, Target or Costco to fill in until what you want is in stock? Are you able to order what you want from IKEA and wait for it or are they just not taking orders? 

Im typing this as I sit on the cat scratched sofa with the coffee stained arms with the one pretty new piece of furniture across from me. DH and I are taking turns sitting in the new chair while the cats are getting re-acquainted with the spray bottle. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah, I am ready to get away from the cat pee smell in our current couches. And also the one in the playroom is broken. My husband and I cannot sit on it and cuddle because someone sits in a hole with a bar.  So ready for the new couches. I think my husband is taking them somewhere on Tuesday, so I hope our new ones come in.  Well, actually one couch and chair are ready. We are waiting on the couch, loveseat and chair for the other room. But we have to pay two delivery fees if we take delivery of the first set now, which I think is really uncool, especially since it has taken so long. I am staying at mom's for a little over a week.  Really hoping our new couches will be there by the time I get back, but not getting my hopes up.

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ugh. I REALLY don't want 2nd hand couches, you know? Just..icky. If I'm spending money, I wanted what I wanted, lol. 

Dressers...I can find something. It's for the kids, so not anything spectacular. 

They also don't have the bedframes i was looking at, but I can maybe get that at amazon. 

The couches though...really wanted new couches. Mine has washable, removable covers, but the cushions themselves at this point have an odor I can't get rid of. Blergh. 

Good Luck!  DS ordered a bedframe in July from Home Depot.  After a number of "we will deliver on Friday"--oops its back-ordered--he cancelled and ordered something on Amazon.  The day it was supposed to be delivered he got a notice that it was out of stock--he has tried another supplier--so it is going on three months and he still doesn't know when he will get a bed frame (and he isn't looking for anything too fancy.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, I am ready to get away from the cat pee smell in our current couches. And also the one in the playroom is broken. My husband and I cannot sit on it and cuddle because someone sits in a hole with a bar.  So ready for the new couches. I think my husband is taking them somewhere on Tuesday, so I hope our new ones come in.  Well, actually one couch and chair are ready. We are waiting on the couch, loveseat and chair for the other room. But we have to pay two delivery fees if we take delivery of the first set now, which I think is really uncool, especially since it has taken so long. I am staying at mom's for a little over a week.  Really hoping our new couches will be there by the time I get back, but not getting my hopes up.

Yeah, the two delivery fees is ridiculous when the waits are so long. It’s very likely our upholstered study/guest room furniture will arrive long before our LR furniture. But if we want it, we either have to pick it up ourselves from another city or pay two delivery fees.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 1

I got a job and could *finally* afford the $200 couch covers for the Ektorp Ikea couch….and they’ve discontinued that couch, so they aren’t selling the covers anymore, except for the beige one that I already have.

I waited 4 years to be able to afford those stupid covers and now they’re gone.

I found a website that will custom make the covers for you, but they’re $500. Even with the job, I’m not spending $500 on a couch cover. 😞

ETA: I double checked and the website that custom makes the covers has a few that are around the $250-$300 range, but they are in the colors I don’t like as much…but maybe I’ll go ahead and get one. Something to think about.

Edited by Garga
  • Sad 5

I just placed an order from home depot on a washer, dryer, and fridge.  The fridge is backordered until the end of Dec.  The only ones not were too small for us and not brands I trust.  The washer and dryer are only back ordered until nov but I'm not holding my breath that the date is accurate

6 minutes ago, Garga said:

I got a job and could *finally* afford the $200 couch covers for the Ektorp Ikea couch….and they’ve discontinued that couch, so they aren’t selling the covers anymore, except for the beige one that I already have.

There are other companies that still make slipcovers for Ektorp, although they'll likely be a little more expensive. I bought my Farlov sofas "naked" and ordered slipcovers from Bemz. They also make Ektorp covers in lots of different colors and fabrics, starting at $249 for cotton. You could get on their email list and watch for sales, I think mine were 15-20% off when I ordered them. They also have some ready-made covers in their "Outlet" section, which were samples or orders that were cancelled, etc. — they currently have three different colors of cotton slipcovers for the 3-seater Ektorp: white or steel blue for $209 and seagrass for $230. If those colors don't appeal to you, you can keep checking because they add new ones all the time. Here's a link: 
https://bemz.com/outlet?IkeaSeries=4f324f2c-cd6d-4a85-91f9-6e9258f7363c

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Garga said:

I found a website that will custom make the covers for you, but they’re $500. Even with the job, I’m not spending $500 on a couch cover. 😞

ETA: I double checked and the website that custom makes the covers has a few that are around the $250-$300 range, but they are in the colors I don’t like as much…but maybe I’ll go ahead and get one. Something to think about.

Have you looked at lindakale.com? They've got halfway decent prices on Ikea covers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

There are other companies that still make slipcovers for Ektorp, although they'll likely be a little more expensive. I bought my Farlov sofas "naked" and ordered slipcovers from Bemz. They also make Ektorp covers in lots of different colors and fabrics, starting at $249 for cotton. You could get on their email list and watch for sales, I think mine were 15-20% off when I ordered them. They also have some ready-made covers in their "Outlet" section, which were samples or orders that were cancelled, etc. — they currently have three different colors of cotton slipcovers for the 3-seater Ektorp: white or steel blue for $209 and seagrass for $230. If those colors don't appeal to you, you can keep checking because they add new ones all the time. Here's a link: 
https://bemz.com/outlet?IkeaSeries=4f324f2c-cd6d-4a85-91f9-6e9258f7363c

6 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Have you looked at lindakale.com? They've got halfway decent prices on Ikea covers

Thank you both so much!!!

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Yeah, at one point I looked at replacement covers, saw the couch was discontinued, saw the cost of new covers from other places, and realized it was almost the same price as a whole new couch! (assuming you can find one, lol)

8 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

Sorry, that's no fun. 😞

I think I'd sit on floor pillows and wait for something good to be available.

We lived for a couple years with CordaRoys bean bag chairs for living room furniture because of all our moving. I actually kind of wish to go back to that some days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frances said:

Yeah, the two delivery fees is ridiculous when the waits are so long. It’s very likely our upholstered study/guest room furniture will arrive long before our LR furniture. But if we want it, we either have to pick it up ourselves from another city or pay two delivery fees.

I didn't want to like your post, so I put sad.  I wish they had an the irritated  or something.  Yeah, maddening and used to be we got the delivery fee waved for all kinds of stuff. I was kinda surprised they wouldn't wave it.  

17 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I'm sorry!! We just made a purchase with IKEA in Ohio, and thankfully, they had the product we wanted in stock. We were there helping my MIL, so I said we had to stop by there on our way home. 

There are so many problems with supply chains right now. We bought a brand new dining table and chairs in August. The table came right away, but at the end of September, we were still waiting on the chairs. The store ended up giving us some off the floor. We're still waiting on two more of them. 

I hope you find what you need! Maybe some used furniture or antique stores would have something that would work. 

We just shopped at the one in Cincinnati. It was hit or miss for what we were looking for. Mostly bookshelves and basement storage.

17 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

Sorry, that's no fun. 😞

I think I'd sit on floor pillows and wait for something good to be available.

That's our current plan, more or less. We kept our old couch and aren't going to get rid of it until we can actually get what we want. I don't feel like settling for something mediocre, since we plan to stay here, but we know it'll take a while. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That's our current plan, more or less. We kept our old couch and aren't going to get rid of it until we can actually get what we want. I don't feel like settling for something mediocre, since we plan to stay here, but we know it'll take a while. 

If my couch didn't stink to the point I'm embarrassed to have someone sit on it, I'd do that too. 

I love the washable slip covers, but the actual cushion material and such holds the smell at this point. And those have this fuzzy material I can't directly clean. I'm wondering if hiring a steam cleaner company to clean the couch with the removable cushion covers ON would be worth while? Or I guess show them what the cushions look like under the cover and them tell me if cleaning can be done with the cover off. Hmm...

Worst case I have a ruined couch, but a tthis point no couch is less embarrassing than stinky couch, you know?

Edited by ktgrok

17 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Hey, if it’s mostly the foam inside—we replaced ours recently. We have a bedroom couch that was in good shape, but a kid spilled on it (lemonade). I washed the cover and tried to wash the foam, totally messed that up. We ordered replacement foam and batting.  DH cut the foam to shape, and it’s good as new. Could that hold you over till stuff is available?

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Hey, if it’s mostly the foam inside—we replaced ours recently. We have a bedroom couch that was in good shape, but a kid spilled on it (lemonade). I washed the cover and tried to wash the foam, totally messed that up. We ordered replacement foam and batting.  DH cut the foam to shape, and it’s good as new. Could that hold you over till stuff is available?

Some of the cushions are foam (seat ones) but the back ones are soft stuff. And the thin layer of foam over the wood and even the wood probably stink now too. 

• Like 1

I was at the IKEA in the big city last weekend. They had precious few items in stock. I wanted some shelves and just happened to find two matching pieces that were in stock. The associate told me if I wanted them I should purchase them immediately as inventory indicated those were the last two. I held my breath all the way to the register and to furniture pick up.

No luck on the other items I wanted. 

Lots of grumbling by other customers about the lack of options in both large and small items.

18 hours ago, Garga said:

I got an IKEA replacement cover from this company. I'm really happy with it.

https://comfort-works.com/en/?rfsn=5891364.027f870&utm_source=refersion&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=en_rfsn_christinabrockman

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

I've heard of getting IKEA sofa covers (in general,I ,don't know about yours specifically) from different sellers on etsy. 

For me it won't help, my covers are fine, I wash and dry them all the time. It's the cushions that are a problem. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

For me it won't help, my covers are fine, I wash and dry them all the time. It's the cushions that are a problem. 

Ok, brainstorming here, so bear with me. You don't want second hand definitely? What if you looked at FB marketplace for ektorp and found one for $150 or so that had no doggish odors, and you took those cushions and put them on your own couch, then sold the smelly one for extra cheap, or gave it away. Then you could wait however long it took for Ikea to get back to normal, for probably less than $200

I suppose it would also depend on whether you had a truck for transport. If not, then I'd go with the $50 rental fee and suck the heck out of the cushions!

Maybe your area is different, but I have found beautiful, clean furniture on Marketplace. Not Craigslist, it's full of kooks. I check the background of the pics they post to see if their floor and other stuff looks clean. Then I snoop around and find their address to see what the house looks like. I also look at their FB page to see if they're too much of a lunatic for me. Weird, but it works!

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, lmrich said:

Just went there today (ATL) and had the same problem. 

I was at IKEA Atlanta today, too! Briefly.

And yes—stock is low. 

I knew ahead of time they were out of the 2 sofas I’m interested in, but at least I got to see them irl. 

I’d be open to getting the Farlov second hand and just getting a new cover from Bemz. I’ve been checking Marketplace but no luck so far.