Menu

FYI - Ikea has almost nothing in stock!

ktgrok

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

For me it won't help, my covers are fine, I wash and dry them all the time. It's the cushions that are a problem. 

You can also order new cushions from Foam Factory online. They explain how to measure. They come Dacron wrapped. I replaced the cushions in my antique wingbacks and they were perfect. 

I say this because I, too have a really sad Ektorp that I bought secondhand several years ago. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

If my couch didn't stink to the point I'm embarrassed to have someone sit on it, I'd do that too. 

I love the washable slip covers, but the actual cushion material and such holds the smell at this point. And those have this fuzzy material I can't directly clean. I'm wondering if hiring a steam cleaner company to clean the couch with the removable cushion covers ON would be worth while? Or I guess show them what the cushions look like under the cover and them tell me if cleaning can be done with the cover off. Hmm...

Worst case I have a ruined couch, but a tthis point no couch is less embarrassing than stinky couch, you know?

What if you go to JoAnn’s and get a piece of foam to replace the cushion filling for just ONE cushion. Remove the original foam and soak it in that pet enzyme stuff that’s formulated for cat urine and hang it to dry. If it works, clean one cushion at a time using your replacement foam like a spare tire each time. You’ll know after one cushion dries if you’re making progress. Or maybe you’ll like the replacement foam and just do that for every cushion. 

ETA: I just read that you’re dealing with the back and the wood. Ugh. I’d be tempted to find a non-smelly used couch to use for a few years until supplies are normal again. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

12 hours ago, popmom said:

I was at IKEA Atlanta today, too! Briefly.

And yes—stock is low. 

I knew ahead of time they were out of the 2 sofas I’m interested in, but at least I got to see them irl. 

I’d be open to getting the Farlov second hand and just getting a new cover from Bemz. I’ve been checking Marketplace but no luck so far. 

Marketplace, estate sales, Habitat Rehome store, consignment sales are the best! I have purchased so much furniture for our mountain house through them. 

Not for your IKEA couches but Costco still has some stock left as well. TJ Maxx is another place that might have something in stock. 

• Like 1

so we just bought a desk for DD11 on marketplace, and the people we are buying the house from are going to sell us the dining room table set that is currently in the house! 

Some may remember we'd planned to build a table, then realized it might look weird to have a farmhouse table with the mom's antique cherry hutch and desk. Well, the table in the house has finish that should work,  and it a big table with benches on each long side and chairs at the head/foot, and they are selling it to us for $300! DH said he's spend that in lumber and tools! They orignially asked $800 but our realtor, without us even telling her to, talked them down 🙂

image.png

• Like 10

And, now getting the table for $150 because the lawn people ran into an irrigation pipe and there is a leak (again, they did this two weeks ago and seller had someone come fix it) and they agreed to take half off the table price if we just fix the pipe ourselves. (it will take 20 minutes and $5 in parts for me to do it myself)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

so we just bought a desk for DD11 on marketplace, and the people we are buying the house from are going to sell us the dining room table set that is currently in the house! 

Some may remember we'd planned to build a table, then realized it might look weird to have a farmhouse table with the mom's antique cherry hutch and desk. Well, the table in the house has finish that should work,  and it a big table with benches on each long side and chairs at the head/foot, and they are selling it to us for $300! DH said he's spend that in lumber and tools! They orignially asked $800 but our realtor, without us even telling her to, talked them down 🙂

image.png

Pretty table!

Edited by Laura Corin