Menu

Mask observation....

HSmomof2

I’m wondering if it’s just me or if others have noticed this as well? IRL, I’m quiet and really very shy. We’re in a mask-mandated state, so I’m wearing a mask now pretty much anytime we’re in public or around others. Both dh and ds have commented that I’m much more talkative and outgoing wearing a mask.....since they said that, I’ve noticed too at the dr’s office and just talking with acquaintances I’ve run into, that I do feel less awkward and more relaxed when I’m wearing a mask and am friendlier. I didn’t think there would be a benefit of a mask beyond health reasons, but maybe there’s a social one too, for me at least. 😊

• Like 17

That's interesting that it makes shy/introvert people feel more outgoing/comfortable! I've suspected the masking had a similar effect in the protests, dehumanizing the actions. (It's easier to yell at a mask than someone's face, to be angry at a mask than at a face...) 

In my house, 2 of 4 find their comprehension drops markedly with masked speech. (hearing loss, APD) My ds with apraxia, who has had extensive speech therapy, was not talking at all while masked. Then my adult dd21 commented that with the mask on her speech shuts down. She says it's somethng abt the touching. I asked my ds about it, because obviously that's dangerous if he literally can't talk with it on, and it would almost be like duct taping someone. He *can* but it's difficult, so difficult that he's mask averse. I just thought he was nervous and didn't realize it was shutting his speech down. I should have because he's normally quite talkative.

I hope the masking ends SOON. 

• Sad 4

I've noticed that I don't mind wearing a mask because no one can see my face turn red 🙂  I've thought of it often when out and about now.  I play the piano at our church and quite often blush when I make a mistake . . . now no one can see it.  This has all sorts of potential for my self-confidence!

• Like 5

I feel more self-conscious about speaking to others, actually. I can't see facial expressions well to gauge how my words are being received, nor can I use facial expressions as part of my communication. 

The mask does cover up the three zits I currently have, though, so that's nice. 😄

• Haha 2

I have never liked my looks so wearing a mask has actually made me more comfortable. I no longer have anxiety when using self-checkout and have to see myself in the camera. I don't have to explain to people that "no, I'm not sad/angry; that's just my face." I could never wear the clear masks because I can't hide with those. Plus I am a bit anxious to see how many people are going to have moisture/spit on the plastic panel. I wonder how often those will need to be wiped.

• Like 3

I can see how it could help.  I think shy people are often more self-conscious too (I don't mean that in a bad way -- I think it just means that for whatever reason -- genetic maybe?  they are just more conscious of their own self and how others are perceiving them).  So, probably wearing a mask makes them feel more anonymous, like they're not as much in the spotlight. 

My sister was telling me that she finds that when she's wearing a mask around others, the mask makes her forget to talk!  She'll catch herself just standing there listening like she's watching a movie, forgetting that she can take part in it by speaking.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

In my house, 2 of 4 find their comprehension drops markedly with masked speech. (hearing loss, APD) My ds with apraxia, who has had extensive speech therapy, was not talking at all while masked. Then my adult dd21 commented that with the mask on her speech shuts down. She says it's somethng abt the touching. I asked my ds about it, because obviously that's dangerous if he literally can't talk with it on, and it would almost be like duct taping someone. He *can* but it's difficult, so difficult that he's mask averse. I just thought he was nervous and didn't realize it was shutting his speech down. I should have because he's normally quite talkative.

I hope the masking ends SOON. 

Sounds like a trip to the audiologist to tweak hearing aids is in order for the one with hearing loss.

APD--I will PM you.

Your son with apraxia has had issues in the past with new things and speech, yes? Like blowing bubbles in the pool? It seems like the same strategies would be in order to overcome the masks.

It's not fun to have to deal with this. I am sorry.

• Thanks 1

My experience is the opposite. I'm usually very friendly and outgoing in public, but the mask makes me self conscious and unable to read faces and unsure what people's reactions to me are. So I engage almost not at all in public anymore. And when I do have to talk, I can't hear or understand anybody anyway so what's the point 😞

It's interesting how different people's reactions are!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I like wearing one because now no one can tell when I talk to myself at the grocery. Lol

I keep saying this exact thing!    The problem is, I am getting worse and now talking to myself LOUDER, forgetting that the mask doesn't block the sound!   

But I don't like that when someone says something to me like, "Oh Sorry" or "Excuse me" I generally smile at the person, like, "No worries" and now people think I am ignoring them.    

• Haha 2

I’m another who is introverted and self conscious but find myself much more at ease wearing a mask. However, yesterday we ran a voting precinct for the election- in our county but not the precinct where we vote, so I didn’t know many people. I did fine w the adults but felt totally uncomfortable engaging with the small children who came in w parents who were voting. I usually engage w the kids and offer them stickers. I felt like since they couldn’t see me it wasn’t right to hand them stickers or get down on their level to talk. Silly, maybe, but parents teaching preschoolers about stranger danger is probably more difficult now.  I also might have felt uneasy because even as an adult I was having a hard time looking at a driver’s license and matching it to the masked person in front of me. 
‘I’m wondering if when masks are no longer needed if I will go back to being self conscious or if I’ll have retrained myself. 

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

My experience is the opposite. I'm usually very friendly and outgoing in public, but the mask makes me self conscious and unable to read faces and unsure what people's reactions to me are. So I engage almost not at all in public anymore. And when I do have to talk, I can't hear or understand anybody anyway so what's the point 😞

I'm more of an introvert, and even more now because of the masks for the same reasons you've given.   Usually I would talk to at least one of the people who works at the grocery store, but now I try to avoid it because the masks muffle their speech.  And if I say that I missed what they said then often they just pull down the mask and speak.   

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

My experience matches the OP. There is a type of psychological security for me in having on a mask. I have noticed that before with glasses and sunglasses, too. I’m a sensitive person and I think it has something to do with feeling more secure with a physical barrier. 

• Like 1

My husband and I are chatty and talk much less with a mask on in stores, instead we end up texting since we can’t hear each other clearly. We also talk much less with the salespeople that we are familiar with since speech sounds kind of mumbled. 

Our teens are not chatty in public and masks gives them an excuse to not talk at all. Without masks they would diplomatically partake in small talk.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

And now I can eat as much garlic as I want without worrying about knocking someone over!

Maybe not the garlic. I can smell cigarette smoke even when a smoker mask up before walking into the store. I do have a sensitive nose but my husband can smell the secondhand smoke too, just less intense to him.

15 minutes ago, Quill said:

My experience matches the OP. There is a type of psychological security for me in having on a mask. I have noticed that before with glasses and sunglasses, too. I’m a sensitive person and I think it has something to do with feeling more secure with a physical barrier. 

This is totally me too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Sounds like a trip to the audiologist to tweak hearing aids is in order for the one with hearing loss.

APD--I will PM you.

Your son with apraxia has had issues in the past with new things and speech, yes? Like blowing bubbles in the pool? It seems like the same strategies would be in order to overcome the masks.

It's not fun to have to deal with this. I am sorry.

The one who was told to get HA has turned them down, but yes that would be the correct answer.

We've been finished with PROMPT for the apraxia since spring. Actually legit finished. 

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I told dd it was my security blanket. 😂 I definitely don’t want to wear masks permanently and will be glad when/if things go back to some kind of normal.....I just thought it was an unusual observation....but can see how it especially helps those of us who feel self-conscious. 

• Thanks 1

That is interesting.  I find the opposite myself.  I avoid talking in them for several reasons.  I do think some people talk more then normal to me, I think since I can’t see them smile.  But honestly, it annoys me, I try not to answer back.  I go out of my way to avoid being in situations where I need to put on a mask.  It also really upsets me when other people in masks come close to me in stores because we are ‘both’ in masks, ugh, I hate that. I would consider myself a fairly outgoing person in normal situations.

I find myself being less chatty. I'm a quiet introvert who normally tends to put on a midwestern public politeness, not quite stop and chat in the aisles with strangers, but smile and chit chat with cashiers. With the mask, I avoid people, don't make eye contact, and don't chit chat with the cashiers because of the muffled speech issue. I actually  prefer shopping this way. 

I also haven't worn earrings since March, rarely wear makeup unless I'm having a zoom meeting. I even skip the under eye concealer most of the time (I have naturally dark circles under my eyes). 

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

The one who was told to get HA has turned them down, but yes that would be the correct answer.

We've been finished with PROMPT for the apraxia since spring. Actually legit finished. 

Congrats on the PROMPT graduation!!!

Condolences on the HA needs being ignored. That's...unfortunate self-sabotage. 

• Thanks 1

I am extremely shy, and the mask doesn't change that.  I have a lot of social anxiety and the mask isn't helping with that.  I find I am very self conscious out in public.   Masks aren't popular around here and people see you as "sheep" if you are wearing one even though it is mandated. I am glad it is helping others, wish it did for me.

• Sad 1

I live in the south where talking and smiling to every stranger is the norm. I still try smiling with extra emphasis on the eyes but I've pretty much stopped talking other than replying, "Good" to "How are you today?" and thank you's as I leave. 

I'm thrilled that you are getting to experience life in a different way. Honestly, that's incredibly awesome! I wonder if the confidence to be more talkative will last once everyone is no longer masked. (If that actually ever happens)

On 8/12/2020 at 9:30 AM, Momto6inIN said:

Yes!  This is my experience also.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:13 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

I live in the south where talking and smiling to every stranger is the norm. I still try smiling with extra emphasis on the eyes but I've pretty much stopped talking other than replying, "Good" to "How are you today?" and thank you's as I leave. 

I'm thrilled that you are getting to experience life in a different way. Honestly, that's incredibly awesome! I wonder if the confidence to be more talkative will last once everyone is no longer masked. (If that actually ever happens)

So the smiling thing for me has turned into nodding (still smiling, but making sure that I have movement showing acknowledgement of whatever they said.). Then this slowly transferred to me nodding with whatever I was saying, just to add movement I guess as the replacement for mouth movements, "yes, I am speaking and there is action from me." And not just at the beginning of my speech, but the entire time. 

I always seem to get the chatty cashiers so there is a lot of talking and nodding away. Also, because lines seem longer (they aren't really, but the line stretches out due to the 6ft distances) I've found a lot of other shoppers are eager to chat since you get the feeling of "look how far away we are, let's pass the time." So more talking and nodding.

Basically, now whenever I go shopping I look like this (just add a mask, lol). 

Great for the neck muscles though! 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

I don't love wearing a mask, but I have to say, I kinda love that I can wear a mask and sunglasses and nobody I know can recognize me.  It makes trips to the store so freeing!

Unfortunately, masks (and social distancing) are not 100% effective in preventing people from recognizing you!  I do mostly curbside pickup, but once I had to run into the library outside of pickup hours for a hold I had missed.  As I was walking toward the exit, I heard someone calling my name from a few yards away.  It was someone I went to high school with and hadn’t seen in NINETEEN YEARS!  I couldn’t even remember his name until I was back in my car.  I was wearing a mask, sunglasses, and a baseball cap, plus I do not have a FB account, so no recent photos of me on there.

I’m considering upgrading to a space helmet.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Haha 4

On 8/12/2020 at 9:47 AM, Zebra said:

I keep saying this exact thing!    The problem is, I am getting worse and now talking to myself LOUDER, forgetting that the mask doesn't block the sound!   

But I don't like that when someone says something to me like, "Oh Sorry" or "Excuse me" I generally smile at the person, like, "No worries" and now people think I am ignoring them.    

Yes, now I look at peoples' eyes to see if they are smiling, and I try to smile big enough that they can tell from my eyes.