Menu

How do you wear shoes without socks?

Garga

I do not know how to wear shoes without socks or tights.  I have found one pair of sandals that I can wear that don’t cause blisters so I’ve bought a few pair of these sandals, but when they wear out in a few years I’m not sure what to do.

What do other women do for sandals? I’ve bought so many pair of sandals over the years that I can’t wear because I get blisters.  Surely, other women don’t walk around with blisters all over their feet?  

I see shoes like the one in this picture and would LOVE to buy something like this, but how? How does one wear this shoe like the model is? I could only wear it with tights.  Am I buying the wrong cheap brands and if I spent more, they won’t cause blisters?  I normally don’t buy expensive shoes, because I’ve been afraid to spend a bunch of money on something that will blister up my feet. 

I bought a bunch of ballet flats thinking they’d magically not hurt my feet, but they do.  So, I’m just going to wear them with little socks.

And I’ve tried footie socks that barely cover the tips of your toes and they work in a pinch, though something about them is very annoying. They like to fall down on the heel and I am fussing with them throughout the day.  Is that just the reality for everyone? Fussing with little socks?

Can we just talk about all the options of shoes and how to make it so you don’t end up with sores? 

ETA: Also, the bottoms. If the inside bottoms aren’t suede or cotton, then my feet sweat a great deal, and I literally slip inside my shoes.  Like, I’ll try walking, and my feet are so sweaty that I slip inside the shoe and it’s just as dangerous as walking on ice. Maybe I have funky feet.  😞

02EF0786-65E5-4667-AB88-A2DD6E4922FB.png

Edited by Garga

I usually wear shoes without socks, but comfortable shoes is maybe the key?  Well padded? 

If there are spots that are a problem maybe moleskin?

I don’t wear sandals all that much, but 

Tevas have worked for me without blisters. 

And Oofos

(I wouldn’t wear shoes like the model, so 🤷‍♀️ Those would probably bother both my heel and maybe top of foot.)

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

From around May 1 through September, I do not wear socks.  I do make sure my shoes are super comfortable.  (I rarely wear heels!)

My go-to shoe during warm weather is something like this:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-leisure-womens-slip-on-0809704818757.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFezgUYLJ07Bta6qAUxAj2qIMzem8T0j8910z_WemBkrmYV48GLGrFOkaArdaEALw_wcB

or this:

https://www.sasshoes.com/womens-cozy-slide-sandal/206001340100.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFexH9WmPsiFuOJWm_KaAso-UNhuUgl-R0s6p7wony08iwigTDejo-R8aAkkqEALw_wcB

I do have a pair of black pumps and heeled dress sandals that are comfortable enough to wear without socks/nylons when I need to dress up for a wedding, etc, although I wouldn't want to walk much in them.

• Like 1

The only shoes I wear without socks are sandals. I don't have a big problem with blisters IF I am able to find shoes that fit well. That is hard. My feet just aren't the right shape for most shoes. Have you tried going to a good store to be fitted?  Not just measured, but also have the shape of your foot taken into consideration, having the person watch you walk in the shoes to see how you move in them.  The down side of that of course is that the shoes are not the cheap ones. 

Oddly, I found some sandals at Walmart one year that were fantastic. They had so much support for cheap shoes (I need good arch support). I should have bought 10 pairs. Sometimes it's also hit or miss.

• Like 1

I'm probably the wrong person to answer because like many Floridians, I wear open shoes all year long and rarely wear socks with any shoes. Most of my sandals don't have a back, and that's where the blistering. for me at least, usually occurs.

I rarely wear closed shoes. When working out I do wear socks with my athletic shoes. My other closed shoes are all flats, and I don't wear socks or tights with them. I have these in 4 colors, and they're my go to closed shoes. Well, actually they're my only closed shoes other than athletic shoes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Naturalizer-Womens-Flexy-Ballet-Black/dp/B01MS5RCBJ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=naturalizer+ballet+flats+for+women&qid=1588524292&sr=8-6  ETA: Naturalizer has several styles of flats. I like these because of that little padded area on the heel.

I have these, also in several colors, as well as a few pairs of Vionics sandals without a back. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XKSZO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think one of the keys, as @Pen said, is padding. And while some people can comfortably wear cheap (or cheaply made) shoes, I'm not one of them. I was never able to find a comfortable pair of shoes at Payless. They all caused blisters and I finally learned not to even bother buying from them. I buy name brand shoes and when I find ones I like that are comfortable, I get them in several different colors. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

Oddly, I found some sandals at Walmart one year that were fantastic. They had so much support for cheap shoes (I need good arch support). I should have bought 10 pairs. Sometimes it's also hit or miss.

Yes! The one pair of sandals that I can wear that are supportive and don’t hurt at all, are from Walmart!  That’s the place I ended up getting 4 pair from.  I’m down to one pair that’s never been worn and one pair that’s lightly worn.  But I bought them from WM 2 summers ago.  Last summer, when I went looking, the ones they had rubbed the top of my foot wrong, so I couldn’t buy any last year.  When the ones I have go, I’ll have to figure something else out.

From the few posts so far, I’m thinking I have to be willing to spend $80 or more.  I like to keep it at $40 or less. That’s probably why I’m having trouble.  Under $40 shoes are great if you wear socks, but not so much if you don’t.  

ETA: (Wait...another post came in since I wrote this, with some suggested shoes that cost less than $80.)

Edited by Garga

My mom ask me to help her out by wearing her new shoes or sandals in-house to break them in. I am about half size smaller shoe size then my mom so her new shoes are loose enough to not cause me blisters. 

For new shoes/sandals that we don’t have time to break in, put a thin layer of Vaseline on your feet before wearing. That reduce the chance of blisters by a lot.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Garga said:

I do not know how to wear shoes without socks or tights.  I have found one pair of sandals that I can wear that don’t cause blisters so I’ve bought a few pair of these sandals, but when they wear out in a few years I’m not sure what to do.

What do other women do for sandals? I’ve bought so many pair of sandals over the years that I can’t wear because I get blisters.  Surely, other women don’t walk around with blisters all over their feet?  

I see shoes like the one in this picture and would LOVE to buy something like this, but how? How does one wear this shoe like the model is? I could only wear it with tights.  Am I buying the wrong cheap brands and if I spent more, they won’t cause blisters?  I normally don’t buy expensive shoes, because I’ve been afraid to spend a bunch of money on something that will blister up my feet. 

I bought a bunch of ballet flats thinking they’d magically not hurt my feet, but they do.  So, I’m just going to wear them with little socks.

And I’ve tried footie socks that barely cover the tips of your toes and they work in a pinch, though something about them is very annoying. They like to fall down on the heel and I am fussing with them throughout the day.  Is that just the reality for everyone? Fussing with little socks?

Can we just talk about all the options of shoes and how to make it so you don’t end up with sores? 

ETA: Also, the bottoms. If the inside bottoms aren’t suede or cotton, then my feet sweat a great deal, and I literally slip inside my shoes.  Like, I’ll try walking, and my feet are so sweaty that I slip inside the shoe and it’s just as dangerous as walking on ice. Maybe I have funky feet.  😞

02EF0786-65E5-4667-AB88-A2DD6E4922FB.png

I think it's gross to wear closed shoes without something--socks, or knee-hi's, or something. Your feet are going to stick to the inside of the shoe no matter what. And for a shoe that's even a little dressy, to have bare feet and legs is just not right.

And that's a long historical thing, too, to go bare-footed in one's shoes. Maybe it's even cultural; IDK. I remember how horrified the children and adults are in "Understood Betsy" when little Elias has to wear his shoes with no socks. 😮

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Those shoes in your OP are cute but looking at them I would immediately think the heel would rub and cause blistering or irritation. 

Agreed. I can’t remotely imagine how they would be comfortable if one was going to do any amount of walking besides just going in somewhere and sitting down until it was time to leave.

For me, shoes have always been the one thing I don’t hesitate to spend good money to buy. Because I walk almost everywhere and rarely drive, comfort is a must. I usually spend at least $100, but I also don’t own very many pairs. Sandals are definitely the hardest for me to find. Many years ago I had some I liked and went through many pairs over the years, but then they stopped making that particular style. I’ve learned my lesson and if a pair works, I immediately buy several more. I’ve been wearing the same fall, winter, spring shoes for years. I have to figure out sandals soon, and I’m dreading it.

• Like 3

I have a couple pairs of sandals I wear without socks (both Clark’s, I think), but I only wear them if it’s warm but not hot and it can’t be humid. I have no idea how anyone wears shoes of any sort when it’s humid. 🤮. No way would I wear sneakers without socks any time, even though the look can be cute. For shoes like you linked, I would wear them with tights.

Sorry that’s probably unhelpful. 

• Like 2

I don't wear sandals because I feel like my feet get dirty in them. Weird, I know.

BUT--I do wear little footies inside ballet flats all the time, and the ONLY way they don't bug me is if: #1 I buy them in a larger size. The one-size-fits-all brands do not work for me. I have to go to Amazon and look for the ones that come in a range of sizes, and then go for the ones for women with larger feet. 🙂and #2 I buy the kind with silicone grips on the back heel. I do not like the ones with silicone grips on the soles. But on the heels they make a world of difference. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MercyA said:

I don't wear sandals because I feel like my feet get dirty in them. Weird, I know.

BUT--I do wear little footies inside ballet flats all the time, and the ONLY way they don't bug me is if: #1 I buy them in a larger size. The one-size-fits-all brands do not work for me. I have to go to Amazon and look for the ones that come in a range of sizes, and then go for the ones for women with larger feet. 🙂and #2 I buy the kind with silicone grips on the back heel. I do not like the ones with silicone grips on the soles. But on the heels they make a world of difference. 

This is brilliant! I didn’t know you could get them in larger sizes.

• Like 1

I have a pair of flats from Eddie Bauer that fit me like a charm, and are also easy to slip on and off for temperature control. I've written these for miles and miles of urban hiking. After a year, when I realized how much I loved them I bought another pair exactly like them - except I think these will give my a raw spot on the top of my foot where the toe of the shoe stops 😢 So, even buying the exact same pair may not always be the answer. If you do, though, give them a few test wears during the return window!!!

Maybe this is the wrong answer, but my experience is that you always get a few blisters as you break them in. Then you heal and the shoe gives and it's fine. Now, some shoes are mean and never give and are just blister creators. And every once in awhile I end up with a pair of shoes like that. But usually I don't... Maybe you have to know your feet.

• Like 2

I don't know, I've never worn shoes without socks nor owned sandals.  I can't abide "flip flops" as they hurt between my toes.'

I think I would have the same problem you are describing with blisters.  It's not worth it.  🙂  I do take off my shoes whenever I can though.

• Like 1

I have the same troubles and have to look for sandals that have just the right covering to not stick or deteriorate. Even then, I have to change them a lot more often than other people seem to change their nice sandals because the insides get really gross. If I can find watershoe sandals that still look like fairly ordinary sandals, that helps. They usually stay nice inside or can be washed.

Sometimes cheap shoes work really well, but it's hit or miss. I can't wear anything other than sandals without socks, and all socks fall down my heels into my shoes. It's maddening. 

It does keep me from dressing up, though the bigger problem is that finding dress clothes that fit well and aren't frumpy is as hard as finding shoes. 🙂  

I think I’m with @Lady Florida. on this. I wear shoes that are open- backed as much as possible and flip- flops, so really there’s not a lot of places I’d even get a blister. I feel like the heel is where I’m most likely to get one, and the shoes you linked would probably give me a heel blister. I wouldn’t wear socks with them; I’d just never buy them bc of that. The only shoes that I wear any kind of sock with are my winter boots and running shoes. For both, I wear Injinjis toe socks so I don’t get blisters on my toes from them rubbing together.  I wear the short, thin ones for running shoes, and the thicker/taller/wool ones for boots. The ones for running are not completely ‘no show’, but they’re low enough for me for that type of shoe. 

• Like 1

I wear them a little at a time. Around the house, back and forth to the mailbox, walking in the yard. Slowly the material gets softer and my feet get used to them. 

Clark’s are really good for loafer type material. The ones op linked would be a “church only” type thing because you sit for most of it. 

I have no idea how fashionistas wear certain styles of shoes without pain.

• Like 1

I don't wear shoes without socks. If I absolutely feel I must wear shoes where socks might not look great (ie: more formal function) I'll wear no-show socks, but all of my shoes are non-dressy, comfortable, no-heels. I do invest in good shoes, though, as I know with our tile floors and me being on my feet most of the day that good quality footwear is worth it (for me). I like certain "mule" shoes (worn with socks) but mostly I'm in a high quality sneaker (worn with socks). Around the house in the summer I wear high quality sandals...with socks. I cannot stand foot odor or the feel of sweaty feet in sandals. I gave myself plenty of blisters wearing cute, trendy, heel shoes in my teens and 20s...never again.

For sandals I went to a local store with high end footwear and tried on just about every pair in the store. The price tag made me blink but I have owned those sandals for a couple of years, they are still comfortable/supportive, and no blisters.

• Like 1

I almost never wear socks with danskos clogs - because I only put them on when I leave the house.

I have a difficult foot to fit - and so I make darn sure the shoes fits properly before I buy it.   same for sandals.

I have some abeo sport sandals with metatarsal support I adore - they have 'holes' in the bottom so you can walk through water and it will drain.  (glare at dog#1 for putting a bite mark in them when he was a small puppy.)

I know the brands that fit me - so I can buy online.  most shoes, even from major dept stores, I've found to be poorly made and fit ill. (and very limited in sizing.)

eta: I mostly buy from The Walking Company.  *MAYBE* Nordstrom (the only dept store I'll even bother looking at their shoes.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mmasc said:

What type of shoe are you trying to replace? Or would like to wear if you could solve this problem? Would it be like the one in your picture? 

Everything.  

I went to google and typed in “shoe fashion 2020” and clicked on “images” and not a single sock was to be seen.  Every kind of shoe you can image came up, and nary a sock.  

But for myself, I’ve had nothing but blisters if I don’t wear socks.  I wanted to branch out and wear ballerina flats, low heels, sandals (something other than my Walmart ones), sneakers...and wondered how everyone is handling wearing every type of shoe out there without socks.

Currently, I wear near sneakers with socks, my walmart sandals, and boots.  I’d love to try some other types of shoes.  I’d LOVE to wear something like the picture in the OP.

• Like 2

I buy shoes that are already comfortable.  I never expect to "break them in," because I know that means I'll be in pain.  I often end up paying more for more comfortable shoes.  One relatively inexpensive brand that I like is BZees.   

• Like 3

I’d go with some nice flip flops (vionic maybe, or Clark’s sea breeze, maybe sketchers), Birkenstock with the soft foot bed, or Ecco sneakers. You could always order a bunch from Zappos and return what doesn’t work. I know it’s frustrating to want shoes and not be able to find any that work! 
https://www.zappos.com/p/ecco-soft-7-low-cut-zip-bootie-dusty-blue/product/8868134/color/1230 I tried these on in a store and they were SO comfy—without socks! I was shocked. I really want them but haven’t bought them yet due to the price tag. 

https://www.zappos.com/p/clarks-breeze-sea-rose-gold/product/8079992/color/35560 these are crazy popular and always get great reviews 

https://www.zappos.com/p/skechers-reggae-seize-the-day-navy/product/9189081/color/9 These always get rave reviews as well.

https://www.zappos.com/p/birkenstock-arizona-soft-footbed-suede-unisex-taupe-suede/product/8023264/color/691 I tried these on in store and they were so comfortable. Unfortunately, I went with another style that I liked the looks of better 🙄and don’t like them at all (hard foot bed—mistake)

https://www.zappos.com/p/teva-verra-black/product/8449009/color/3 I have these and actually thought I’d get blisters due to all the straps, but they are very comfortable. I wore them all over Disney World not long after getting them and they worked great. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Like PP, I buy expensive shoes that don’t need breaking in. If they are not comfortable when I put them on in the store, they never will be. If I wear them around the store for 10 minutes and they rub, pinch, hurt in any way, they always will. And in my experience, those expensive shoes last longer, so a few basic pairs and a “fancy” or “unique” pair will cost the same as buying more cheap pairs that hurt. Three things I will not cheap out on: shoes, bras, and haircuts!

• Like 2

I agree with the Birks and there are lots of styles. Otherwise I always wear socks. In the summer I don't wear ballerina flats but comfy shoes that are like sneakers but not really sneakers with low ankle socks. They show a little but I think it looks okay. 

• Like 1

IME, inexpensive shoes almost always hurt my feet one way or the other. It is true that sometimes expensive shoes also do, but proportionately and just my experience: when I use to try and keep to bargain shoes, they were never, ever wearable. They were murderous on my feet. I even remember very vividly the first expensive shoes I bought, a pair of Naturalizers. (This was when I was working in a law firm and had to wear dress shoes all day.) Naturalizers were like miracles! I kept those shoes for well over a decade. 

So that is basically my strategy now. I only buy expensive shoes and I don’t buy shoes very often. I am for versatile shoes and I make every effort to keep them is nice condition.  I stick to certain brands for the most part. 

Side note: I do not like having bare legs as most women seem to and will very rarely wear any kind  of dress without tights/hose. I have some hose that leave your toes open, which look nice with summer dress shoes with an open toe. When I buy dress shoes, like say for a wedding, I look for particular styles because my #1 criteria is that they must not hurt my feet. 

I bought this pair for a wedding a few years ago and they are completely comfortable and never hurt my feet. I have since bought other Onex shoes for dressy occasions. https://www.zappos.com/p/onex-christina-black-elastic/product/7622635/color/10881?zlfid=191&ref=pd_search_1_sp_1

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

I am surprised no one else uses: 

Powder!  For the shoes you showed us, I would first put a little powder in the shoe - the toe area and all along the inside.  I would powder the bottom of my feet with a little from my hand, then carefully powder the tops of my toes.  

I only use the orange Gold Bond powder, because it doesn’t cake like some brands - it is readily available in the trial size area, so I have bottles of it wherever I put on shoes or need reapplication: master bath/entry closet/purses/travel bags/each car.  I’ve gotten good at putting it on without making a mess=)

When I travel, though, in a city, I inevitably get blisters with the extra walking, but this powder trick has made an amazing difference.  New shoes may still require a bandaid around a toe and, especially, on the back of the heel for a few wearings to break them/my feet in.  Actually, new shoes/sandals that are worn without socks need the bandaid on toe/heel or other hot spot for a short while...but it is worth it.  This is new as I have gotten old(er).  

Edited by Familia
Note re: all shoes...
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SKL said:

I don't know, I've never worn shoes without socks nor owned sandals.  I can't abide "flip flops" as they hurt between my toes.'

I think I would have the same problem you are describing with blisters.  It's not worth it.  🙂  I do take off my shoes whenever I can though.

I don't wear shoes without socks (except a pair of Crocs I wear for swimming pools and quick trips outside)  And My flip flops can't have that thong between the toes.

12 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I do find that my Skechers need very little breaking in. 

I like these style.  https://www.skechers.com/en-us/styles/shoes/casuals/mary-janes

op, have you tried canvas shoes?

I was going to suggest Skechers Go Walks, like these: https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/15900/skechers-gowalk-5-prized/ltpk They're designed to be worn without socks. I love them in the summer because I hate to wear socks when I have capris or shorts on. My legs are already short enough as it is and socks just make them seem even shorter.

Ignore the prices on the site--you can usually find them for cheaper than $70 at other stores or on Amazon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dicentra said:

They aren't trendy but in summer, I live in Birkenstocks.  With the backstrap.  And don't get any of the artificial uppers - make sure it's suede or leather.  Fantastic support, super comfortable, and no blisters.

Milano Soft Footbed - Birkenstock

Birks absolutely kill my feet and caused a severe case of plantar fasciitis. I like Taos brand much better. Just an FYI-- Birkenstocks are often built as a miracle shoe but I know lots of people who've had nothing but problems with them. Definitely try on before you buy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dicentra said:

They aren't trendy but in summer, I live in Birkenstocks.  With the backstrap.  And don't get any of the artificial uppers - make sure it's suede or leather.  Fantastic support, super comfortable, and no blisters.

Milano Soft Footbed - Birkenstock

I love my Birkenstocks -- but I wear socks with them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellydon said:

Birks absolutely kill my feet and caused a severe case of plantar fasciitis. I like Taos brand much better. Just an FYI-- Birkenstocks are often built as a miracle shoe but I know lots of people who've had nothing but problems with them. Definitely try on before you buy. 

When I was younger, I tended to wear Birks without the back strap.  It was fine - until it wasn't. 🙂  As I got older, the gripping that I had to do with my toes to keep the back-strapless ones on caused all kinds of foot pain.  The back strap helped with all of that. 🙂

But I totally agree - if anyone has foot issues, definitely try before you buy.

Thank you everyone! I do insist on wearing a back strap on sandals. I know an orthopedic doctor and she says she gets sooo many injuries due to people falling out of or twisting ankles in their sandals without back straps.

• Like 1

Last year I bought 4 pairs of nice looking sandals, all different, all expensive and supposedly comfy/ortho-friendly well made shoes. They looked great, and were comfortable for a few hours. 

All of them gave blisters, and after going maybe a couple weeks without wearing a particular pair consistently, the blisters would be remade in the same spots -- whatever tolerance I built up to that particular shoe would be lost if not worn very often.

Maybe we both have weird feet, but at least we are not alone! (Also, YES THE SLIPPING, UGH)

Main thing I do is put bandaids preemptively where I know a blister is going to form. And carry bandaids to use in the middle of the day if I feel a new one forming. 

eta: like others I am in a sandals year-round state. This doesn't seem to change my "tolerance" level to blisters -- each pair of shoes gives a different set. I have found 1 pair of casual sandals that I had no blisters and have become my main shoe, in 3 colors, but the black pair I wear the most is more comfy on the arch because I wear it the most, so even same-style approach isn't the magic bullet I'd hoped.

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

I always buy high end shoes.  Ecco, Dansko, etc.  I will usually buy from Nordstrom 1st to make sure I like them.  I take them home and wear them in the house for a few days.   Then, I buy them on sale at Nordstrom Rack, Amazon, Shoe Buy, Zappos etc.  I got some really cute Dansko sandals last year in August for like $30.