Menu

UPDATE! Miscarriage--how long until I feel better? (physically)

IvyInFlorida

Y'ALL I DID NOT MISCARRY, STILL PREGNANT!  It was a massive hematoma that caused tons of bleeding.  The ultrasound today showed the baby is fine!  7 weeks, 5 days!  Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

Hi everybody,

I recently found out I was pregnant for the first time (both my sons were adopted at birth).  If you saw me posting about possible perimenopause a few weeks ago...yeah, I was pregnant.  Anyways, this was quite a shock, and we had just settled into being excited about it when I had a miscarriage on Monday at 7 weeks along.  Wednesday I was able to get into see my NP, who referred me to get an ultrasound on Friday just to make sure it was a complete miscarriage (I don't really have any doubt about it being complete, but seems like a good idea to get it checked).  Anyways, I had severe nausea and fatigue while pregnant.  Since the miscarriage, I have had a few stretches of time where I felt basically normal, but the nausea comes back in waves.  It's not as severe as it was, and I get that it will take some time until it goes away altogether, but it is really wearing me down.  I feel like I could recover better emotionally if I could just feel. better.  If you have been in this situation, how long did it take until you felt better?  At this point, I feel like I have been nauseous forever and (irrationally, I know) will never go away.

Edited by IvyInFlorida
  • Like 16
  • Sad 6

With my second miscarriage, it was bad enough that I went to the hospital.  I felt a lot better faster with that one after a saline IV, it stabilized things.  So, even though I had initially felt worse with that one, the IV helped a lot and I felt better faster.  You could try pedialyte for adults and see if that helps, I'm not sure I would want to go in to a hospital right now.

A vitamin IV may also help, there may be lower risk clinics in your area offering them, google "vitamin IV and [your city name]"

Edited by ElizabethB

I’m very sorry for your loss!

I’ve had three miscarriages (10 weeks, 10 weeks, 17 weeks) and healed differently physically and emotionally each time. Within 4-6 weeks I was feeling mostly normal each time though. It’s hard to know the difference between grief and pregnancy hormones plus you have the added craziness of the world being upside down right now. As for nausea, it usually was gone within a couple weeks. I wish you the best during this healing process. 

• Like 1

I am so very sorry for your very real loss.  Every baby is a precious soul.

I lost a baby at 12 weeks and had to have a D&C.  My baby had died weeks before, but I couldn’t get anyone to listen to me.  I felt like I had been poisoned.  Absolutely miserable.

Its hard to tell if your symptoms are from grief, hormones, or may require medical attention.  I encourage you to see a doctor if you don’t physically feel better soon. Trust your gut.

Hugs

• Like 1

When I miscarried (10ish weeks), I continued to experience symptoms for maybe a few weeks. When I asked my midwife about it, she said for the vast majority of those who suffer a miscarriage, symptoms disappear by 6 weeks after. 

I am sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself at this especially difficult time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Katy said:

I would call your doctors office to ask.  They may want to do blood work to make sure you aren't also having an ectopic pregnancy if it lasts longer than a certain number of weeks.

This was very important for my sil.  I'm so sorry. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, IvyInFlorida said:

Y'ALL I DID NOT MISCARRY, STILL PREGNANT!  It was a massive hematoma that caused tons of bleeding.  The ultrasound today showed the baby is fine!  7 weeks, 5 days!  Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

Hi everybody,

I recently found out I was pregnant for the first time (both my sons were adopted at birth).  If you saw me posting about possible perimenopause a few weeks ago...yeah, I was pregnant.  Anyways, this was quite a shock, and we had just settled into being excited about it when I had a miscarriage on Monday at 7 weeks along.  Wednesday I was able to get into see my NP, who referred me to get an ultrasound on Friday just to make sure it was a complete miscarriage (I don't really have any doubt about it being complete, but seems like a good idea to get it checked).  Anyways, I had severe nausea and fatigue while pregnant.  Since the miscarriage, I have had a few stretches of time where I felt basically normal, but the nausea comes back in waves.  It's not as severe as it was, and I get that it will take some time until it goes away altogether, but it is really wearing me down.  I feel like I could recover better emotionally if I could just feel. better.  If you have been in this situation, how long did it take until you felt better?  At this point, I feel like I have been nauseous forever and (irrationally, I know) will never go away.

Yay on the update! That’s wonderful!

• Like 1