Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yikes. And the article says that positive cases have been steadily increasing for the last 2 weeks. This is likely going to get a lot worse. 🙁

Georgia is also not looking good. Their positive cases and hospitalizations are jumping up. I don't know how they are on capacity but it seems worrisome to me.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

not sure if this is relevant to anyone but tweet from Harris County hospitals sounds worrying.

I can’t believe some of the comments in that Twitter thread! It really feels like living in the twilight zone right now!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

"Boise and Ada County will move back into Stage 3 of Idaho’s original reopening process Wednesday, Central District Health announced Monday afternoon.

Bars will be closed, CDH said."

(Rising cases in Boise and Ada County, several cases traced to bars.)

Cases were declining before bars opened.

1894264012_ScreenShot2020-06-22at4_45_29PM.thumb.png.028743e0bf6fbd423a73f2f75f2aebb2.png

I'm glad to see them being proactive before they are in a dire situation. This is what other places are going to have to do, imo. Scale back openings when cases spike, not hospitalizations. By the time hospitalizations are spiking the situation is out of control.

• Like 4

Scotland seems to be doing okay now.  The population of Scotland is about 5.5 million.  My friend who is a nurse practitioner working in the main county hospital on Covid admissions describes work as 'a little quiet' so she has been catching up on her professional reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52009463

image.thumb.png.d1ac4a153ceb11a86e3b98883a19f20a.png

image.thumb.png.6a8f2855561b8d6748872b99f6879afa.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A couple interesting threads on how the median age of cases in the US is rapidly dropping.

I know no one likes to talk about outdoor spread being a risk, but I don't think this trend can all be blamed on bars and restaurants. It seems obvious to me what a ton of youngish people were doing two-plus weeks ago.

But also, afaik, the 5 states that were sending covid patients to nursing homes have had their peaks and are declining, so it makes sense to me that cases on average would start to skew younger.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

so apparently some people in Melbourne are stripping shelves of toilet paper again , thinking that some suburbs will go into lockdown  again with the increase of cases

I'm finding it rather horrifyingly ironic that 25 new cases is making Victoria panic, and Florida has around 3000 new cases every day and increasing, and they all go, 'meh'.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EmseB said:

A couple interesting threads on how the median age of cases in the US is rapidly dropping.

I know no one likes to talk about outdoor spread being a risk, but I don't think this trend can all be blamed on bars and restaurants. It seems obvious to me what a ton of youngish people were doing two-plus weeks ago.

But also, afaik, the 5 states that were sending covid patients to nursing homes have had their peaks and are declining, so it makes sense to me that cases on average would start to skew younger.

I’ll be interested to see what happens here in Indiana. We’ve had protests for weeks and my own family has been to several but the numbers here are fine.

We did just reopen bars a little over a week ago though, so we’ll see if that affects the numbers at all soon enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

so apparently some people in Melbourne are stripping shelves of toilet paper again , thinking that some suburbs will go into lockdown  again with the increase of cases

California governor has warned too about more restrictions if the numbers keep climbing. Worse hit is LA county. 

Costco’s toilet paper stack was literally floor to near ceiling height during the weekend. Will have to see if Lysol and toilet paper gets cleaned out again the next time we go there.

@Pen@Ausmumof3@TCB maybe blood clots from covid.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/48-year-old-man-who-recovered-from-covid-19-dies-after-fainting-at-temporary-housing-site

“SINGAPORE - The Republic has recorded its 11th death for patients who tested positive for the coronavirus but died from other causes.

The Ministry of Health (MOH) in its Tuesday evening (June 23) update said a 48-year-old male Indian national who was earlier assessed to have already recovered from the coronavirus died from ischaemic heart disease.

He fainted on Tuesday morning at a temporary housing site for migrant workers and was taken to the emergency department at Singapore General Hospital.”

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, Joker said:

I’ll be interested to see what happens here in Indiana. We’ve had protests for weeks and my own family has been to several but the numbers here are fine.

We did just reopen bars a little over a week ago though, so we’ll see if that affects the numbers at all soon enough.

I get the feeling (sorry mask-deniers) that if the protests in some locations are helping to up the numbers, it's because in some states people almost all wore masks, and in others they didn't.  Seems like a lot of states are not having the same uptick in cases as others, even though the protests were all over (thank goodness, because honestly I've been really worried - even where there were many masks, there was also a lot of shouting and tear gas...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm finding it rather horrifyingly ironic that 25 new cases is making Victoria panic, and Florida has around 3000 new cases every day and increasing, and they all go, 'meh'.

I know! It’s really making me feel like we’re in the Twilight zone!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I assure you we aren't all reacting that way. Tampa area now has a mandatory face mask ordinance.  Some other areas as well.  Some of us are very concerned with the increasing numbers.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I assure you we aren't all reacting that way. Tampa area now has a mandatory face mask ordinance.  Some other areas as well.  Some of us are very concerned with the increasing numbers.

That is actually good to hear! Let's hope more people get the memo in time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

I know no one likes to talk about outdoor spread being a risk, but I don't think this trend can all be blamed on bars and restaurants. It seems obvious to me what a ton of youngish people were doing two-plus weeks ago

As far as I know, no area in the U.S. is randomly testing people, so I think it is hard to say anything about the change in demographics of test results.  Maybe, (maybe!) a greater percentage of those being tested are younger people, now that testing is easier to access?  Anecdotally, I've heard that some people (who skew younger) went to protests and then went to get tested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TracyP said:

This article discusses excess mortality. I thought the most useful part was the chart at the bottom of the page. It lists each state and shows their COVID deaths compared to their excess deaths. (8 states are not included because the data was unreliable/insufficient.)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

On those charts I thought it was notable in the Jan/Feb time periods (before the lockdown) how many states had spikes of below normal death counts

• Like 2

Also, locally, a huge number of our increased numbers are people who work in restaurants, now that restaurants are opening up (50% capacity).  Most restaurant employees are younger.  Increased opening is causing spread in customer service positions, as well as younger people who are going to restaurants/ gyms/ etc.  (I don't think bars are open here yet, but if they were.)  Also, there was an article in the paper today about people of all ages going to beaches and coming home and testing positive, so apparently beaches are hot spots.  I don't know how careful people were at the beach, or if there is just so much virus there that it's impossible to avoid it no matter what you do.  I suspect people are not as careful on vacation.  But don't really know.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

On those charts I thought it was notable in the Jan/Feb time periods (before the lockdown) how many states had spikes of below normal death counts

In an ordinary year, death counts for any given week are as likely to be below the average as above; that's how averages work. 

2 hours ago, EmseB said:

But also, afaik, the 5 states that were sending covid patients to nursing homes have had their peaks and are declining, so it makes sense to me that cases on average would start to skew young

I think the situation with testing, tracing, and PPE in care homes has dramatically improved, and there also seem to be fewer cases among HCP and therefore less spread within hospitals compared to what was happening 2-3 months ago. So the average age would naturally start to trend downward. I also think young people are less likely to mask and socially distance — we have very high rates of masking here, but the few people I see who aren't wearing masks or paying attention to distance have all been younger, like teens & 20s. And younger people are also much more likely to be going out to bars and restaurants and parties as soon as those things are permitted.

So far there is zero data that would support the idea of significant spread from the protests, and a reasonable amount of data to refute it. Several states that had large demonstrations have not seen any spikes, and those that specifically tested large numbers of protestors found very few cases. Portland is a perfect test case because they had massive demonstrations, mostly masked, while still technically under SIP orders. They only entered Phase 1 of reopening a few days ago, so bars and restaurants would not be a factor. Officials said yesterday that "only a small handful of people connected to the demonstrations" have tested positive, and most cases in the county are coming from businesses, food processing, and multi-generational living situations in immigrant and refugee communities. The largest outbreak the state ever had was 236 cases from a church in a rural county, not from any metro area, and Oregon's case and death numbers are still among the lowest in the country. Spikes are happening in states that reopened early, with very low rates of masking, not the states that had the largest protests.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EmseB said:

My mom is in a hotspot in a state with declining cases. While there were some protests there, it was nothing compared to other parts of the state that are still seeing declining case numbers. The majority of new cases in her city are in young people and have primarily been linked to bars. I recently read a very discouraging article in her local newspaper where several bar employees were interviewed and talked about how many patrons don’t care about protecting anyone and even harass workers when they wear masks. They crowd together, share drinks and e-cigarettes, talk loudly, etc. I guess it’s not surprising that young, drunk people aren’t being careful, but it sure is discouraging. It will spread from them to older people, it’s just a matter of time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I think the situation with testing, tracing, and PPE in care homes has dramatically improved, and there also seem to be fewer cases among HCP and therefore less spread within hospitals compared to what was happening 2-3 months ago. So the average age would naturally start to trend downward. I also think young people are less likely to mask and socially distance — we have very high rates of masking here, but the few people I see who aren't wearing masks or paying attention to distance have all been younger, like teens & 20s. And younger people are also much more likely to be going out to bars and restaurants and parties as soon as those things are permitted.

So far there is zero data that would support the idea of significant spread from the protests, and a reasonable amount of data to refute it. Several states that had large demonstrations have not seen any spikes, and those that specifically tested large numbers of protestors found very few cases. Portland is a perfect test case because they had massive demonstrations, mostly masked, while still technically under SIP orders. They only entered Phase 1 of reopening a few days ago, so bars and restaurants would not be a factor. Officials said yesterday that "only a small handful of people connected to the demonstrations" have tested positive, and most cases in the county are coming from businesses, food processing, and multi-generational living situations in immigrant and refugee communities. The largest outbreak the state ever had was 236 cases from a church in a rural county, not from any metro area, and Oregon's case and death numbers are still among the lowest in the country. Spikes are happening in states that reopened early, with very low rates of masking, not the states that had the largest protests.

Zero data by design maybe? I think it was NY maybe that openly said they wouldn't even ask about public event attendance during contact tracing since protests started. Yes, here it is: https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/2020/6/14/21290963/nyc-covid-19-trackers-skipping-floyd-protest-questions-even-amid-fears-of-new-wave

WI or MI admitted as much as well after lockdown protests because even if someone was at a large public event, it wouldn't matter for tracing because how would they know who to trace in a group of strangers? I'm not sure anyone is even looking at protest attendance as any kind of metric at this point. Easy to not find what no one is looking for.

Rising cases in some places = opening too early. Rising cases in LA county, probably not protests. Church outbreak of 200 people or a sparsely filled arena is beyond the pale and a huge problem for taking it home to grandma. A bunch of young people newly testing positive? No data! Not the same issue, and besides, they were just going to the bars their stupid governors opened, not protests and it's probably increased testing.

I feel like people who watched these protests who said they were well masked and socially distanced saw different videos and photos than what came across my feed.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I feel as though if the shoe were on the other foot, there would be backbends performed to link the surge in cases happening right now to massive political activity that coincidentally started about 2 weeks ago. There is, of course, no way to prove that, but there are plenty of good Twitter threads contrasting coverage of lockdown protests vs. the CHAZ and what not. It's been a long time since I've identified with the republican party, but dang if all of this doesn't garner them some sympathy from me (don't worry, that feeling will pass as soon as someone opens their mouth, lol).

It is just crazy making to be told that beaches opening, parks opening, etc., are going to be dangerous, heck, some beaches in my state were *closed down* for crowds and they were less crowded than any of the protests at any time! And that picture of the Philly parade from the Spansih flu as a Super Serious second wave warning makes me laugh out loud now.

Not all of this is directed at you but I just can't take a lot of this concern trolling about states opening too soon seriously anymore right after everyone jammed themselves together out in public and screamed inches from each other's faces and then the insistence nothing is wrong with it.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Victoria has had double diget increase every day for a week. Yesterday it was 17. That makes over 140 in the last week. Before thus just about all cases were people returning from overseas.  Now there is definitely community spread happening. 

It is known for a fact that most of this community spread is because of extended family gatherings. Some people went to work after testing positive. They thought if they just ignore it it would go away. Now restrictions are tightening up, if it continues to increase in numbers than certain areas will go into full lock down again. Most other states in Aus have no new cases at all. Some states are removing most restrictions, but have their borders tightly closed. 

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Zero data by design maybe? I think it was NY maybe that openly said they wouldn't even ask about public event attendance during contact tracing since protests started. Yes, here it is: https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/2020/6/14/21290963/nyc-covid-19-trackers-skipping-floyd-protest-questions-even-amid-fears-of-new-wave

WI or MI admitted as much as well after lockdown protests because even if someone was at a large public event, it wouldn't matter for tracing because how would they know who to trace in a group of strangers? I'm not sure anyone is even looking at protest attendance as any kind of metric at this point. Easy to not find what no one is looking for.

Rising cases in some places = opening too early. Rising cases in LA county, probably not protests. Church outbreak of 200 people or a sparsely filled arena is beyond the pale and a huge problem for taking it home to grandma. A bunch of young people newly testing positive? No data! Not the same issue, and besides, they were just going to the bars their stupid governors opened, not protests and it's probably increased testing.

I feel like people who watched these protests who said they were well masked and socially distanced saw different videos and photos than what came across my feed.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I feel as though if the shoe were on the other foot, there would be backbends performed to link the surge in cases happening right now to massive political activity that coincidentally started about 2 weeks ago. There is, of course, no way to prove that, but there are plenty of good Twitter threads contrasting coverage of lockdown protests vs. the CHAZ and what not. It's been a long time since I've identified with the republican party, but dang if all of this doesn't garner them some sympathy from me (don't worry, that feeling will pass as soon as someone opens their mouth, lol).

It is just crazy making to be told that beaches opening, parks opening, etc., are going to be dangerous, heck, some beaches in my state were *closed down* for crowds and they were less crowded than any of the protests at any time! And that picture of the Philly parade from the Spansih flu as a Super Serious second wave warning makes me laugh out loud now.

Not all of this is directed at you but I just can't take a lot of this concern trolling about states opening too soon seriously anymore right after everyone jammed themselves together out in public and screamed inches from each other's faces and then the insistence nothing is wrong with it.

In NY and NJ the protests happened before much of anything was opening up.  Huge protests that were fairly well masked and our numbers are still going down, despite tons of testing available to anyone and encouraged for anyone who was in crowds.   Now we've opened up more and there have been some issues with restaurants violating the "distanced outdoor" dining regulations, so I'm sure we'll start creeping up again soon.  😞

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EmseB said:

A huge problem with this whole thing is the way almost everything about it is politicized and spun by so many on both sides. It drives me crazy! I find myself longing for clean, clear unadulterated truth!

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, GGardner said:

No to be too macabre, but if we assume that covid is much, much less deadly to younger people than older folks, don't we want the majority of infections to be in younger people?

Theoretically, yes, if they existed in a vacuum and were never around old people.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EmseB said:

Theoretically, yes, if they existed in a vacuum and were never around old people.

???  As long as there is transmission, some age group has to have the majority of infections.  Would we prefer the majority of infections to be in the 80+ year olds?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I don't think beaches and parks are much of a risk if people are masked or at least staying away from each other. I think the outbreaks that are coming from beach areas are happening in young people who are also partying and bar hopping, not people who are just walking their dog or sitting on a blanket with close friends or household members. 

If NY was having a huge spike like FL, TX, and OK are, AND they were still closed down, AND they were refusing to collect data about cases related to the protests, then there would be an argument that NY was purposely hiding data for political purposes. But they are NOT having a spike! Nor are MA or IL, despite large protests in Boston and Chicago. You can ignore all the political spin and just look at the actual numbers and the graphs, and it is absolutely clear that the sudden spikes are happening in states that opened early and do not mask.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GGardner said:

No to be too macabre, but if we assume that covid is much, much less deadly to younger people than older folks, don't we want the majority of infections to be in younger people?

Why would you want infections at all? It is a attitude that quite frankly leaves me scratching my head.

there is some concern over the virus making people infertile, not so good for young people who are of reproducing age

there is grave concern of long term damage to organs in young people.  Not so good for people living in a country like USA that has no Universal medical 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The difference in survival rates that a year or two makes is very very small, whereas the difference in survival rates that a year or two could bring due to better treatment is huge.  

This is in reference to the histogram above, which shows that the median age of people who test positive in Florida has gone down from 65 years to 35 years, so 30 years change in the median age (!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

Yes, Orlando area (well, the Orange county area) has, and I was very pleased that everyone was masked at Walmart today, compared to about 20 percent last time I went. A week ago multiple people were reporting about 5% masking. I'm freaking out, in the "very concerned way" but most are not. 

4 hours ago, GGardner said:

As far as I know, no area in the U.S. is randomly testing people, so I think it is hard to say anything about the change in demographics of test results.  Maybe, (maybe!) a greater percentage of those being tested are younger people, now that testing is easier to access?  Anecdotally, I've heard that some people (who skew younger) went to protests and then went to get tested.

We were testing people over on/near the UCF campus, specifically targeting students from what I understand, at least in the Seminole County area. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Why would you want infections at all? It is a attitude that quite frankly leaves me scratching my head.

Who said anything about wanting infections?  But given that there are infections, some group, statistically is going to have the most.  I find it demeaning and patronizing to younger people, to blame them for spreading the disease, blaming their alleged bar-hoping and bed-hopping without any evidence.  I'm glad we're doing a better job of protecting older people -- they are the most at risk, and in some ways, the easiest to protect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

We were testing people over on/near the UCF campus, specifically targeting students from what I understand, at least in the Seminole County area. 

But it is all still voluntary for now, right?  So trying to derive something interesting from those statistics is fraught with peril.

If the big Universities test every single student and employee before they were allowed back on campus in fall (and I hope if they have on-campus classes, they test *everyone*), then we will get consistent numbers.  Probably the number of younger people who test positive then will spike, which will be a good thing -- because we can then isolate them so they can't spread the disease any more.  Our goal should be to identify and isolate everyone with covid, symptomatic or not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GGardner said:

Who said anything about wanting infections?  But given that there are infections, some group, statistically is going to have the most.  I find it demeaning and patronizing to younger people, to blame them for spreading the disease, blaming their alleged bar-hoping and bed-hopping without any evidence.  I'm glad we're doing a better job of protecting older people -- they are the most at risk, and in some ways, the easiest to protect.

I'm not sure they really are the easiest to protect, since both my parents and my in laws are doing things like eating in at restaurants, visiting with friends, shopping regularly, going to church inside the building....  A whole heck of a lot of older people appear to be unwilling to take any precautions.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

That is an incredibly powerful piece. Devastating. 😥

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GGardner said:

Yes but not if it’s just a case of the younger people catching it due to being out and about then passing it to more vulnerable people over the next month or so.  If the older people never catch it it’s probably a good thing.  Although we’re still not sure what long term effects on younger people are.  

Okay, I have a friend arguing that while choral singing might be dangerous, a soloist singing should be fine, especially if they aren't facing the audience.  (He's envisioning singing while sitting at a grand piano.)  I've really hurt feelings by saying that aerosolized particles can fill an entire room.  I can't find quick articles.  Anyone have them saved anywhere?  

53 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

😢😭

It is excellent , powerful — I doubt it will make any difference, but it would be good on another thread like the masks or some such— 

• Like 2

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.21.20132449v1

Results. All index patients recovered from a mild COVID-19. They all developed anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies and a significant T cell response detectable up to 69 days after symptom onset. Six of the eight contacts reported COVID-19 symptoms within 1 to 7 days after the index patients but all were SARS-CoV-2 seronegative. Six out of eight contacts developed a SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell response against structural and/or accessory proteins that lasts up to 80 days post symptom onset suggesting a past SARS-CoV-2 infection. Conclusion. Exposure to SARS-CoV-2 can induce virus-specific T cell responses without seroconversion. T cell responses may be more sensitive indicators of SARS-Co-V-2 exposure than antibodies. Our results indicate that epidemiological data relying only on the detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies may lead to a substantial underestimation of prior exposure to the virus

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.05.134551v1

I may not be interpreting this right but it seems to me that it some people have t cell response but aren’t seroconverting prevalence estimates based on antibody testing might not be accurate?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

There is an entire series of these Voices from the Pandemic. The first one I read was about the woman who blames herself for giving it to her mother. 😭 They are all heartbreaking. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

A high school classmate of mine wrote this article on post viral fatigue and other issues post COVID. 

“I’m 69 days after my first symptoms and still feeling fatigued,” wrote Canadian comedian Wayne Jones on Twitter, saying he has tested positive for the new coronavirus. “I also have sore eyes, and weakness and headaches that come and go. All signs point to post-viral fatigue.”

Sometimes a precursor to ME/CFS post-viral fatigue syndrome can occur after virtually any viral infection. Symptoms wax and wane; a person can feel fine one day and terrible the next. Exercise or other usual activities can bring fever and often symptoms rushing back. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/researchers-warn-covid-19-could-cause-debilitating-long-term-illness-in-some-patients/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, GGardner said:

My county is. Not "randomly" but it's available to everyone, testing vans are going to harder hit neighborhoods, etc. Everyone is encouraged to get tested, even without symptoms, especially people who have been working.

My area's biggest uptick is in the lower income areas with multiple families sharing living space. Those areas are skewing younger.

• Like 2

The Age

A man has died and Victoria has recorded another 20 new cases of coronavirus in the past day, as authorities warn those who have coronavirus are now passing it on at an increased rate.

The state's Health Minister Jenny Mikakos says those infected with the deadly virus are infecting an average of 2.5 people each.

That reproduction rate has more than doubled in the past week. The government has previously said the rate should always be below one.

The man who died was in his 80s, Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said on Wednesday.

• Sad 5