Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Found this:

These facts indicate that for individuals with blood group A, the route of viral transmission is likely to include the risk of gastrointestinal infections, in addition to those of the respiratory tract. There are also concerns that users of drugs such as proton pump inhibitors or potassium-competitive acid blockers for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease—regardless of whether they have blood type A, chronic gastritis, or HP infection—may be similarly at risk

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(20)30469-8/pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Found this:

These facts indicate that for individuals with blood group A, the route of viral transmission is likely to include the risk of gastrointestinal infections, in addition to those of the respiratory tract. There are also concerns that users of drugs such as proton pump inhibitors or potassium-competitive acid blockers for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease—regardless of whether they have blood type A, chronic gastritis, or HP infection—may be similarly at risk

Have you seen anything at all on B or AB blood types and any aspect of CV19?  I’ve only seen mentions of A and O thus far

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

41 cases in Victoria today

Apparently 19 of the cases involve a number of schools

19 others are from unknown links 

8 are family members of people who have already tested positive a d were already in quarantine 

My. Mother is in quarantine, as she was exposed to someone who was living with someone who tested positive through work

• Sad 12

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

194,000 cases worldwide today!

NM —   I think maybe you mean new cases today?  

But for me that seems to be a figure that was yesterday, maybe. 

————

Total now:

Cases:

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Found this:

Oh yippee.  My girls and I are A.  Oldest dd has started going to the occasional outdoor dining venue with friends.

I have not kept up with this thread, how do y'all keep your sanity?,  so forgive me if it is posted in one of the 312 pages but has anyone seen a report on likelihood of complications in younger people? 

Is strokes, kidney damage etc etc a high percentage of young adults? Everything is so focused on death rates that the chance of life long lung/heart damage and other lifelong issues are almost always overlooked. I tried googling but it keeps going back to death rates.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Oh yippee.  My girls and I are A.  Oldest dd has started going to the occasional outdoor dining venue with friends.

Can she stick to places where the employees wear masks while preparing and serving food?

25 minutes ago, frogger said:

I have not kept up with this thread, how do y'all keep your sanity?,  so forgive me if it is posted in one of the 312 pages but has anyone seen a report on likelihood of complications in younger people? 

Is strokes, kidney damage etc etc a high percentage of young adults? Everything is so focused on death rates that the chance of life long lung/heart damage and other lifelong issues are almost always overlooked. I tried googling but it keeps going back to death rates.

Well, it seems the same factors that impact older people impact younger people - so more risk if obese, diabetic, high blood pressure, pregnant, etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had to chuckle at the last one imagining all the elderly pregnant ladies.  😉 

I saw that too. 

@Ktgrok

I know that those with pre-existing conditions had it worse but I was curious what the numbers looked like.  It's not that important but just something to note.

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

I saw that too. 

@Ktgrok

I know that those with pre-existing conditions had it worse but I was curious what the numbers looked like.  It's not that important but just something to note.

Unfortunately I don't think that there are numbers that break down other long lasting effects of the virus.  These effects are being noticed by doctors and written about but not in such a way that includes them in actual statistical studies - at least as far as I know. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My. Mother is in quarantine, as she was exposed to someone who was living with someone who tested positive through work

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's fine.

I am curious if that would qualify as an exposure in the US and trigger quarantine.

• Like 1

Selenium

Extremely interesting DrBeen YouTube video on it today!!!

@Arcadia @BeachGal @Ausmumof3 @Plum @Ktgrok @ElizabethB @square_25

And anyone else else interested in this sort of thing (possibly helpful supplements or great oneself at home at possible early signs of sickness???) —. I lose track of who is and who is not interested in what  😊 so if I tagged you wrongly, just ignore 😊

I am interested in learning more about this if anyone has more information. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I haven’t seen statistics.

afaik we are too early in pandemic to know the long term consequences 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am curious if that would qualify as an exposure in the US and trigger quarantine.

@Melissa in Australia  I hope your mother will be fine.

@kbutton idk, but I doubt it.   I think they don’t reach out to secondary level contacts unless / until the primary intervening contact has tested positive 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Can she stick to places where the employees wear masks while preparing and serving food?

Well, it seems the same factors that impact older people impact younger people - so more risk if obese, diabetic, high blood pressure, pregnant, etc. 

That's the only good part, everyone is distancing and masks are required for employees and when away from table/not eating.  Compliance is very high, places have been shut down very quickly if not complying. 

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

Selenium

A month ago

Selenium supplementation in the prevention of coronavirus infections (COVID-19)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7246001/

April
Association between regional selenium status and reported outcome of COVID-19 cases in China 
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/111/6/1297/5826147

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Pen said:

Selenium

Extremely interesting DrBeen YouTube video on it today!!!

@Arcadia @BeachGal @Ausmumof3 @Plum @Ktgrok @ElizabethB @square_25

And anyone else else interested in this sort of thing (possibly helpful supplements or great oneself at home at possible early signs of sickness???) —. I lose track of who is and who is not interested in what  😊 so if I tagged you wrongly, just ignore 😊

Me please!!!!  I have stocked up on D, C, zinc, NAC, and quercetin due to these threads.  Have spent a small fortune 😂. But I’m not really that sure what to do with it all.  

Last night I had sore throat and today a headache and temp of 99.  I was at Walmart last week to buy hand sanitizer and Penney’s to return mail order items.  That’s it.  Most everyone was wearing a mask.  Otherwise we’ve been home since March.  No grocery stores or Home Depot’s or parks or anything.

I am taking extra C, my regular zinc magnesium and D3, and took one quercetin today.  What else? How much?

If folks talk about supplements, can you specify how much to use, what type, and when?  That would be super helpful!!!  Thanks

• Like 2

We have a difficult decision coming up -- whether to send my older ds from NZ where Covid has been eliminated to Boston to live in a dorm. What kind of statistics are available for the percent of 19-20 year olds?  I have always figured that if he goes, he will get it. So we need to evaluate the risk given his age group. So for example, if 80% in that age group have mild symptoms, and 0.5% require hospitalization, and 0.01% die, we could use that data to decide how much risk he is willing to take, and whether he is wants to go back.  So is there any half-way decent data by age group?

• Like 1

NZ - there was a bit of a bungle in quarantine about 2 weeks ago, so they are running around confirming the numbers:

16 cases were caught at the border in the past 2 weeks and they are all currently in quarantine

No community spread - 50,000 tests completed last week in Auckland have come back negative. Auckland is where the quarantine facility has been for the last 2 months, so some people were concerned about that location specifically.

We are currently testing around 10K people/day around the country which is around 1% of the population per week. All negative. No cases from community spread for about 6 weeks now I think.

So looks good even with the border bungle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I thought your border was closed.  Who is coming in?  

NZ citizens are allowed to return (and also those with the official visa type called "permanent residents" which is the pathway to citizenship).

Border is closed to all foreign nationals, including family of people on different visa types like a "work visa" who are currently in the country. Some family members were caught off shore when the borders closed, and they are stuck right now because all the quarantine facilities are at capacity with just the returning NZ citizens. 

There are exceptions being made for foreign nationals who have critically important jobs (like the German engineers who needed to fix our very complex sewage crisis here in Wellington). And exceptions for people who are very positive for the economy (the 56 member Avatar film team and their families were allowed in. They are supposed to create 1000 jobs here to make the film).

Currently, we can only quarantine 250 people per day because they have to stay for 14 days - so space for only around 4000 spaces in total throughout the country. It is just hard to find suitable hotels (1 exit, enough space, place to walk outside for exercise, etc), and they must be very very carefully managed and manned, so they can't grow the operation too quickly. They have already had to start busing arrivals from Auckland to Rotorua which is 3 hours away because they can't find any more hotels in Auckland. They are about to open the second hotel quarantine facility here in Wellington next week.   It costs $4000 per person to go through the 14 day quarantine, and currently the government is picking up the cost. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We have a difficult decision coming up -- whether to send my older ds from NZ where Covid has been eliminated to Boston to live in a dorm. What kind of statistics are available for the percent of 19-20 year olds?  I have always figured that if he goes, he will get it. So we need to evaluate the risk given his age group. So for example, if 80% in that age group have mild symptoms, and 0.5% require hospitalization, and 0.01% die, we could use that data to decide how much risk he is willing to take, and whether he is wants to go back.  So is there any half-way decent data by age group?

Well, the good news is MA currently has the lowest R0 in the country, and new cases have been dropping off rapidly.  (Still way higher than NZ, I know - its all relative!) How this is going to change when/if  kajillions of students come back is an open question. There are *so* many universities here. On another thread, someone mentioned a school requiring 14 days quarantine from all students, then testing before being let on campus - if all schools were doing that, I'd feel better. But it seems like it's the Wild West and every school's doing their own thing.  But people here seem to be pretty serious about distancing and masking;  we'll also have to see how things go after they reopen indoor dining, gyms, and bars - we haven't gotten there yet...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Now twin 1 has come down with a fever. He and I travelled to Melbourne and back for a medical appointment at the children's hospital on sun/Mon on just about empty public transport. I have rang the hotline and we both have to get tested

• Sad 18

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Well, the good news is MA currently has the lowest R0 in the country, and new cases have been dropping off rapidly.  (Still way higher than NZ, I know - its all relative!) How this is going to change when/if  kajillions of students come back is an open question. There are *so* many universities here. On another thread, someone mentioned a school requiring 14 days quarantine from all students, then testing before being let on campus - if all schools were doing that, I'd feel better. But it seems like it's the Wild West and every school's doing their own thing.  But people here seem to be pretty serious about distancing and masking;  we'll also have to see how things go after they reopen indoor dining, gyms, and bars - we haven't gotten there yet...

Thanks for that.  MIT is only allowing half of their students back so the dorms will be half full.  They are also requiring all students to quarantine for the first 7 days, but we have not heard how that will be managed.  They will also leave at Thanksgiving. This will be quite tricky for my ds as we don't know if there will be space for him in quarantine, so he may have to leave his dorm, and hang out in LA for a while until they allow him to board a flight. Then 2 weeks in quarantine for his last 2 weeks of classes, then flight to Wellington for exam week.  gulp! 

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, lewelma said:

kind of statistics are available for the percent of 19-20 year olds? 

I have not seen a place that breaks down deaths or even cases to this close of an age bracket. It is usually a much bigger age group (19-44 for example).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I have not seen a place that breaks down deaths or even cases to this close of an age bracket. It is usually a much bigger age group (19-44 for example).

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of, and it won't be very helpful in our decision making.  DS will be 20 and has no pre-existing conditions. So we are trying to figure out his risk which should be low. The question is how low. Perhaps this is an impossible ask. Sigh.  We all are making so many decisions without enough information.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, matrips said:

Me please!!!!  I have stocked up on D, C, zinc, NAC, and quercetin due to these threads.  Have spent a small fortune 😂. But I’m not really that sure what to do with it all.  

Last night I had sore throat and today a headache and temp of 99.  I was at Walmart last week to buy hand sanitizer and Penney’s to return mail order items.  That’s it.  Most everyone was wearing a mask.  Otherwise we’ve been home since March.  No grocery stores or Home Depot’s or parks or anything.

I am taking extra C, my regular zinc magnesium and D3, and took one quercetin today.  What else? How much?

If folks talk about supplements, can you specify how much to use, what type, and when?  That would be super helpful!!!  Thanks

Try to watch for the next DrBeen YouTube (later today or tomorrow) when he is apparently sharing what some of his medical colleagues are using (they cannot advise non patients obviously for legal reasons, but can share their own regimens).   

The Selenium video was 19 hours ago, but I don’t think he posts new ones on a precise schedule.   I may try the bell notification alert feature . 

If I can, I’ll link with a tag for you!

youtube keeps taking his videos down, so I try to watch them ASAP when they come out.  I may get premium YouTube so that I can download them if premium does that (maybe that’s YouTube ulterior motive in taking down the videos 🤷‍♀️  They seem to take down anything that mentions HCQ in a positive light, and many with vitamin D) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of, and it won't be very helpful in our decision making.  DS will be 20 and has no pre-existing conditions. So we are trying to figure out his risk which should be low. The question is how low. Perhaps this is an impossible ask. Sigh.  We all are making so many decisions without enough information.

what do the half that don’t go back do? Year off? Long distance participation?

It seems like if he could take a year off, maybe there would be a vaccine by then? 

Maybe an internship in NZ or something?

Or could he do one year at a NZ university? 

More violin for a year instead?

I think the chances of troubles in USA in fall are huge.

And the long distance makes it especially hard.  

And NZ is in such good shape!   

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm going to try to tackle this so work with me here. 🙂

Statistically there are essentially zero deaths in the under 20 crowd. (To be clear, this does not mean there are zero deaths in this age group! I trust you understand this but want to make sure I'm not misunderstood.) The next age bracket seems to be 20-29. In my state the CFR is .03% meaning the IFR is probably more like .003%. 

(Does my logic make sense here? I'm not very confident...) The hospitalization rate for 18-49 year olds is 2.5 per 100,000. If we assume 1% of the population has been infected than the percent hospitalized would be 2.5/1000 = .25% hospitalization rate. That would be for such a wide age range, so clearly the percentage would be much lower for the 19/20 year old.

Fwiw, if I were in your shoes, I would want to keep my kiddo in NZ. With so many unknowns still floating around, that is where my gut is at. Having said that, a lot of this is going to come down to what the young adult wants. If my teen was in your son's shoes, she would choose to go... It's a tough call no matter what.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Do you think it'll really be in person, though? Harvard is going to be online, I think. So is Columbia. I'm not seeing MIT opening. 

As far as I know, it's only Harvard Medical that's announced online only, not undergrad or the other grad schools. I think BU and Northeastern have both announced on-campus classes.  I'm thinking it's nuts. All 3 of my kids are going to try for an online option  (yep, state universities are also currently planning in-person classes, with vague mutterings of online options for those who can't do in-person.  But no real details of how that might work).  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, matrips said:

Myself—

if I had mild symptoms of unknown origin I would probably take all of what you just mentioned !

if I had zinc as lozenges I would let some dribble around throat area     And take a Quercitin with each zinc (and food — otherwise zinc makes me nauseated) following zinc instructions on label as to dose. 

i would also do a salt water gargle  (salt contact may help deactivate some viruses) 

if I did not know my D level to already be excellent, I would take a significant dose.

(I have started taking a weekly type D3 as 50k IU Trying to time it for before each trip out or before expected exposure of whatever sort. “Significant dose” idea...and if I thought I were low I might take more than one in a week to boost level up to normal quickly befor trying to go for a maintenance amount).

I would take A and K and E to go with the D (sunflower seeds are my E source, a liver meal, or cod liver oil or a supplement for some A—I don’t take A or eat liver all the time, but from time to time.)   I try for daily K and sunflower seeds, but miss some days. 

I would probably take C every few hours to tolerance as long as feeling sick.   And magnesium to tolerance or maybe as an Epsom salt bath or some such if I felt able. 

after today’s Selenium discussion I’d probably take at least 200 mcg Selenium   (Daily and if feeling possibly sick) 

I take 1000-2000 mg NAC (one or two tablets and each is 1K mg) almost every night at bed time, and anytime I take acetaminophen / paracetamol/ Tylenol  or anything else that might be liver toxic.  If having some symptoms I would probably take one in daytime in addition to at bedtime. 

I take vitamin K both K1 and K2 — as a Life Extension SuperK and/or as thorne K2 drops. 

I take a Thorne 2 per day multivitamin. Sometimes miss it, but try for at least one if not both daily (two have 200mcg Selenium as it happens) 

I also take Emerald Bcomplex daily (not particularly for CV19, but it is part of what I take).  

Sometimes I take SAMe also not specifically for CV19, though methionine May have some role in CV19 

posdibly some coQ10 

posdibly bedtime melatonin 

sorry — autocorrect likes posdibly 

Edited by Pen

Thanks guys for the ideas. To answer some questions. 

Yes, MIT has said that they will be half in person (this came out 2 weeks ago).  It is currently believed that Juniors will be on campus of fall and online for spring.

Online options for my ds are miserable because EST classes run from 1am to 9am right now, and when we switch to day light savings they will run 11pm to 7am.  We currently have all 4 of us in a 650sq foot apartment, so he can't just live the night shift and not wake the rest of us up. This means that online classes for him will have no interaction component. Plus it makes it really hard for him to work at all collaboratively with his friends which means taking MIT classes in isolation, which is definitely not a good plan. Put this with the cost of tuition at 50K per year, and online in NZ is not on the list if we can avoid it. 

He cannot just go to university here.  DS is a very high end student, which is why he had to leave NZ to be educated. Even at MIT he has gotten the top grades in 4 of his 5 physics classes.

He could get a job next year and defer. In fact he could continue on his current research project - he analyzing CERN data. This project is all online, and he meets with his advisors from midnight to 1am. Biggest problem with this is that he is likely to lose his dorm placement if he does not go back when invited, and the dorm is the center of his life. So that is a definite no go.

So we currently plan to send him for one dorm semester and one Boston apartment online semester as long as we have some evidence that this is not a huge risk medically.  This is why I'm looking for data. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Thanks guys for the ideas. To answer some questions. 

Yes, MIT has said that they will be half in person (this came out 2 weeks ago).  It is currently believed that Juniors will be on campus of fall and online for spring.

Online options for my ds are miserable because EST classes run from 1am to 9am right now, and when we switch to day light savings they will run 11pm to 7am.  We currently have all 4 of us in a 650sq foot apartment, so he can't just live the night shift and not wake the rest of us up. This means that online classes for him will have no interaction component. Plus it makes it really hard for him to work at all collaboratively with his friends which means taking MIT classes in isolation, which is definitely not a good plan. Put this with the cost of tuition at 50K per year, and online in NZ is not on the list if we can avoid it. 

He cannot just go to university here.  DS is a very high end student, which is why he had to leave NZ to be educated. Even at MIT he has gotten the top grades in 4 of his 5 physics classes.

He could get a job next year and defer. In fact he could continue on his current research project - he analyzing CERN data. This project is all online, and he meets with his advisors from midnight to 1am. Biggest problem with this is that he is likely to lose his dorm placement if he does not go back when invited, and the dorm is the center of his life. So that is a definite no go.

So we currently plan to send him for one dorm semester and one Boston apartment semester as long as we have some evidence that this is not a huge risk medically.  This is why I'm looking for data. 

I don’t know how you judge medical risk at start of a pandemic of a novel virus. Chances of death in his age range are presumptively very small.    Long range health effects potential—who knows?  Infertility? Lung lesions ? Maybe more likely than not.    Maybe Look up what is known at this point about lung effects even in some Asymptomatic cases?  Even cognitive effects seem to be an issue. 

I dont know if dorm life will be the same as it was pre pandemic  Will his friends be in the half who are on campus? 

If the city closes down and campus closes do you have a way he can get apartment ? Or will you be scurrying again to try to make arrangements to get him back to NZ?

Or does he have USA friends now where he could evacuate to the home of someone more local?  I don’t think you can count on Fall semester working out as planned during a pandemic. 

the USA is more of a CV19 hotspot now than when he left

I guess a lot would depend on his own planes etc not being a source of infection for him, and then on how well MIT can maintain quarantine and separation of its students and staff from the outside world beyond the campus.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Ohio breaks it down by decade except for 0-19, then 20-29, 30-39, up to 80+

• Like 2

@lewelma

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2439

this is about the study that shows infection rates are about half in the under 20s.  I’m not sure about that age grouping though it could be that it’s lower for the under 12s and higher for the older ones.

I haven’t seen recent data on fatalities.  I suspect your bigger concerns would be long term impacts on fertility and organ damage.  Also if he was one of the ones who get the 8 or 12 weeks of symptoms does he have a support network who will care for him if he’s not bad enough to be hospitalised but not really well enough to care for himself.  I have seen stories around that but no data on how common it is.  And of course whether you will be able to get there or he will be able to get home if he becomes seriously ill or if the course goes back to online only.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, square_25 said:

There's "announced" and there's "what's going to happen." 

As I've said, my husband is in academia, not to mention which he went to Harvard. He hears the gossip ;-). 

That's why my kids just want to do online. Especially my youngest, she just wants to stay near us rather than move 1.5 hours away and sign a lease, then have to come home after Thanksgiving  (or stay out there alone? What about rent?). At least the older two kids are good living where they're at regardless of what happens with classes...

I can't even imagine trying to figure this stuff out from halfway around the world! 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

As a high school teacher, I'd love to see someone look at how rates change between 10 and 25.  I've heard speculation that everything changes at puberty, and that the seeming protection against spreading that young kids have, either partial or complete, doesn't apply when puberty is finished.  I can also imagine that it might be gradual?  To me, that would be really helpful information if I'm thinking about my school, or thinking about decisions for my own kids, one of whom is in puberty.  

This would be great info to have. I'm still not convinced that kids under 12 are really as low risk as people are trying to make out. My principal just sent out the NPR article about kids at the Y during the height of the pandemic (in NYC I think?) and how hardly any of them were sick. But... I'm dubious. It feels like school leaders are trying to justify going back by saying kids don't get it or spread it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Now twin 1 has come down with a fever. He and I travelled to Melbourne and back for a medical appointment at the children's hospital on sun/Mon on just about empty public transport. I have rang the hotline and we both have to get tested

I am sorry to hear that! That's nerve wracking. I hope it's something extremely boring and mundane.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That one had tons and tons and tons of cases. Like, 100. I haven't heard about a single outbreak at an elementary school yet, and I would think little kids would be worse at social distancing. To me, it's basically conclusive evidence that teens aren't like little kids with spreading it. 

I haven’t had time to read much but I think Melissa was saying there are several school linked cases in Vic... not sure if they were contracted through school or not.  Also I think JennyD  mentioned something in Israel but it was a week or two ago

• Like 1