Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ausmumof3

    3233

  • Pen

    2463

  • Arcadia

    1337

  • prairiewindmomma

    305

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TracyP said:

Yes, that would make sense if down syndrome was a significant risk factor. The article stated, however, that most of the cases they looked at had autism. Autism increasing risk just doesn't make sense to me - again I can see an increased risk as far as getting covid, but not as far as dying from it. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t know what it’s like there but here often autism is a catch all diagnosis.  I know of at least two kids who have an autism diagnosis that actually have a rare genetic disorder but it’s easier to access funding with an autism label.  I also have a family member who is diagnosed autism but is being tested for another genetic issue that causes some traits like autism as well as causing physical issues including potentially heart problems.  The specific disorder is so rare that most likely wouldn’t have been identified if there wasn’t a medical person in the family who was in a related field that spotted it.  So I guess a lot of people who fall under an autism label have more than autism.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Plum said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

 

It may depend on exact circumstances.  

I think in some places I have been with ~20 adult ICU beds,  like at least 30% available...

So for example hospital with 20 adult ICU beds would have 6 open spots, in case of for example of a quite likely situation, a bad automobile crash on part of an interstate that would send patients to them having  6 people needing ICU all at once and quite quickly . 

I don’t know how that would be in bigger cities with many hospitals 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

I could ask dh when he gets home.

After reading up one this

Their largest hospital chain, Banner, is saying they are running out of beds, vents and ECMO treatments, that's really bad. Their dashboard is showing record numbers. Banner said the number of patients needing vents and invasive treatments has quadrupled and other hospitals are saying they are seeing increases as well.They are saying cases have spiked 110%. I believe AZ has a high population of retirees. The state has enough vents it's just Banner that's reached capacity for treatment. 

It looks like they implemented a new method of tracking ICU beds today after the health department was miscounting beds previously. They were not supposed to be counting surge beds as available because they are not ready. I guess they don't have the covid wards any longer and that's part of the trigger. They would have to stop elective surgeries to make room for another surge. As we all know, hospitals can get overwhelmed quickly. 

 

 

This updated method, now posted in the Hospital Bed Usage and Availability section of our dashboard, shows the current bed availability without calculating in the additional (surge) beds hospitals added under Executive Order 2020-10. Initially, these surge beds were calculated into the total number and counted as full ⁠—  these surge beds should not be included in the bed availability, because they are not currently in use. 

Here’s how the updated method for calculating bed availability works:

Scenario: The hospitals report a total capacity of 1567 ICU beds with 369 beds available, and 641 surge beds that could be added on demand:

  • Previous Dashboard Calculation Method:  

Add the total 1567 beds  + 641 surge beds =  2208 total ICU beds.

Display 17% available ICU beds (369 available beds/2208 (total + surge) beds) 

  • New Calculation Method:

Divide the available 369 beds by the total 1567 beds = 23.5%.

Display 23.5% available ICU beds (369 available beds/1567 total ICU beds). 

This change has been reflected on the dashboard today. Later this week, we will be adding additional graphs showing the current capacity plus the number of beds added through the executive order, which will show the full capacity of our healthcare system if a surge plan is activated. 

https://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/new-method-for-determining-inpatient-and-icu-bed-availability-launched-today/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Plum said:

I could ask dh when he gets home.

After reading up one this

Their largest hospital chain, Banner, is saying they are running out of beds, vents and ECMO treatments, that's really bad. Their dashboard is showing record numbers. Banner said the number of patients needing vents and invasive treatments has quadrupled and other hospitals are saying they are seeing increases as well.They are saying cases have spiked 110%. I believe AZ has a high population of retirees. The state has enough vents it's just Banner that's reached capacity for treatment. 

It looks like they implemented a new method of tracking ICU beds today after the health department was miscounting beds previously. They were not supposed to be counting surge beds as available because they are not ready. I guess they don't have the covid wards any longer and that's part of the trigger. They would have to stop elective surgeries to make room for another surge. As we all know, hospitals can get overwhelmed quickly. 

 

 

This updated method, now posted in the Hospital Bed Usage and Availability section of our dashboard, shows the current bed availability without calculating in the additional (surge) beds hospitals added under Executive Order 2020-10. Initially, these surge beds were calculated into the total number and counted as full ⁠—  these surge beds should not be included in the bed availability, because they are not currently in use. 

Here’s how the updated method for calculating bed availability works:

Scenario: The hospitals report a total capacity of 1567 ICU beds with 369 beds available, and 641 surge beds that could be added on demand:

  • Previous Dashboard Calculation Method:  

Add the total 1567 beds  + 641 surge beds =  2208 total ICU beds.

Display 17% available ICU beds (369 available beds/2208 (total + surge) beds) 

  • New Calculation Method:

Divide the available 369 beds by the total 1567 beds = 23.5%.

Display 23.5% available ICU beds (369 available beds/1567 total ICU beds). 

This change has been reflected on the dashboard today. Later this week, we will be adding additional graphs showing the current capacity plus the number of beds added through the executive order, which will show the full capacity of our healthcare system if a surge plan is activated. 

https://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/new-method-for-determining-inpatient-and-icu-bed-availability-launched-today/

 

I got lost somewhere between logic and math. Please help. 

 

something seems whacky

 

They were formerly counting non existent theoretical surge beds as if they were already in existence and already full? 

 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Medcram and Dr John Campbell have youtube videos on Vitamin D today—not necessarily anything new for those of us who have been advocating Vitamin D for months, but good if you were looking for more or are new to this thread. 

 

DrBeen has one on magnesium that I found excellent. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plum said:

I came on here to see if anyone had mentioned this. One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

I got lost somewhere between logic and math. Please help. 

 

something seems whacky

 

They were formerly counting non existent theoretical surge beds as if they were already in existence and already full? 

 

 

Yes. Sounds about right. 

I think they were counting surge beds as if they were available and ready to go when really they have been reverted back to regular ICU beds as elective surgeries began. They can’t count those until the capacity hits the surge trigger to cancel elective surgeries and convert beds back to covid wards. There’s a difference between surge beds, which are potential beds in potential wards, and actual ICU beds. 

Does that make sense?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TCB said:

I came on here to see if anyone had mentioned this. One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

Their local news station said they could run out of beds completely by July if they keep pace. 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

 

Yes that’s probably a better way to describe it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GGardner said:

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

 

There have been things iirc that have indicated Blood type A more prevalent with autism.

I don’t know how strong  the worse outcomes for type A blood is in CV19.

it is an interesting possibility

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plum said:

 

I lurk on a board for health care workers and an MD from Arizona said some places are reaching capacity.

One of my brothers lives in Chandler. I'll ask him what he's hearing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plum said:

Their local news station said they could run out of beds completely by July if they keep pace. 

Ugh my BIL (in the Phoenix area) has surgery scheduled for july (something urgent but would be considered elective since its not life threatening)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TracyP said:

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

 

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TCB said:

One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

 

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GGardner said:

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

Interesting....I need to check, but I want to say my son with ASD might be type A. I know his father was, so DS is either A or O, and I cannot remember for the life of me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pen said:

 

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

I suppose it varies by location? Last week 4 test sites were set up around Minneapolis. The tests are free and they are encouraging everybody who attended protests to get tested. So far the numbers look encouraging, but it will take time to be sure.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGardner said:

 

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

Yeah, he was speaking from a medical, epidemiological point of view not a political one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Joker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/11/us/missouri-hairstylists-coronavirus-clients-trnd/index.html

This is certainly a strong case for wearing masks! None of the hair stylists 140 customers have tested positive for the virus and no cases have been linked to them.

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

Edited by amyx4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, amyx4 said:

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

“Of the 140 clients and seven co-workers potentially exposed, 46 took tests that came back negative. All the others were quarantined for the duration of the coronavirus incubation period. The 14-day incubation period has now passed with no coronavirus cases linked to the salon beyond the two stylists, county health officials said.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-surgeons-perform-double-lung-transplant-on-covid-19-patient
“US surgeons perform double-lung transplant on Covid-19 patient

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Surgeons have performed a double-lung transplant on a Covid-19 patient in Chicago, the hospital that carried out the procedure said on Thursday (June 11), in what is thought to be a first in the United States.

The patient is a young Hispanic woman in her 20s, and had spent six weeks on a life support machine in the intensive care unit of Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

By early June, her lungs had become so badly damaged that it was decided that a transplant was her only option.

"A lung transplant was her only chance for survival," said Dr Ankit Bharat, chief of thoracic surgery and surgical director of the Northwestern Medicine Lung Transplant Programme.

He added that while the procedure itself was "technically challenging", it can be performed safely and thus "offers the terminally ill Covid-19 patients another option for survival".

It is believed to be the first time a double-lung transplant for a Covid-19 patient has taken place in the US.

China previously announced a similar operation on a 66-year-old woman in March in eastern Zhejiang province.

Before the US patient could receive the transplant, she had to test negative for the Sars-CoV-2 virus - and needed her other organ systems working well enough to give her a realistic chance of surviving.

"For many days, she was the sickest person in the Covid ICU - and possibly the entire hospital," said Dr Beth Malsin, a critical care doctor.

"There were so many times, day and night, our team had to react quickly to help her oxygenation and support her other organs to make sure they were healthy enough to support a transplant if and when the opportunity came."

It was this combined effort - keeping her alive on life support long enough for her body to clear the virus and test negative - that paved the way for the successful outcome.

It is very unusual for a young woman to have suffered such extensive lung damage from the coronavirus, and doctors hope to study her closely to learn more about why this happened.

For now, they are hopeful she will go on to make a full recovery despite having almost succumbed to multi-organ failure.”

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Does anyone else get the NYT morning briefing in their email? I found the "where reopening is working" article kind of interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/briefing/coronavirus-national-guard-nascar-your-thursday-briefing.html

I’ve wondered if the issue is weather related, particularly the heat. Places that are struggling have much hotter summers so I wonder if they’re opening up but people are spending time indoors? Here, in the Midwest it gets hot but not like Texas, FL, and Arizona. We’re all spending time outside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our public health director, Dr. Amy Acton, announced her immediate resignation today. I am super sad to hear this. She was truly a calming voice in the midst of the most scary part of this pandemic.

  • Sad 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

My younger kid's best friend from school is having a "socially distanced birthday party" on Saturday.  I have no idea of the details or what that means, but my kid hasn't seen anyone outside of our family for three months.  I think I'm going to let her go.  There are 392 cases as of today in our area of 250,000.  

I hope it's not a stupid decision, but while she's doing better than my oldest, I worry about her mental health.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

North Carolina offers a reopening guidebook for public school districts, with several plans to choose from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z5Mp2XzOOPkBYN4YvROz4YOyNIF2UoWq9EZfrjvN4x8/preview?pru=AAABcsdvjwA*1iDZr-5T77y9JJ2lXMcxvg#

 

Here is Oregon’s.

It might be interesting to compare several, especially while there still time for public comments and revisions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this was already posted about-it’s from a couple days back.  

Harvard found that CV19 might have been happening in significant numbers in Wuhan in or before October, maybe as early as August.  

 

Harvard and Boston researchers examined satellite data of parking lots across hospitals in Wuhan, alongside online search data on Chinese search engine Baidu for symptoms such as “diarrhea” or “cough”.

A rise in online searches for symptoms was spotted, alongside a sharp rise in hospital traffic in August last year, around four months before the virus became linked to a seafood market in the city   “

 

 

If that is so, a number of people who think they or others in USA had it in November or so may be correct after all. 

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/09/coronavirus-may-have-been-spreading-in-china-last-august-harvard-research-suggests/

 

I could not get the actual Harvard prepublication link to work (or open). 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ktgrok I think it was u asking about fatality rates— I lost track of what thread, but came to this chart (though mid pandemic calculations can be misleading) of case fatality rates as relatively recently calculated:

 

FA0FCD49-9F28-4045-BD4C-9315FE417EEE.jpeg

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t know if this was already posted about-it’s from a couple days back.  

Harvard found that CV19 might have been happening in significant numbers in Wuhan in or before October, maybe as early as August.  

 

Harvard and Boston researchers examined satellite data of parking lots across hospitals in Wuhan, alongside online search data on Chinese search engine Baidu for symptoms such as “diarrhea” or “cough”.

A rise in online searches for symptoms was spotted, alongside a sharp rise in hospital traffic in August last year, around four months before the virus became linked to a seafood market in the city   “

 

 

If that is so, a number of people who think they or others in USA had it in November or so may be correct after all. 

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/09/coronavirus-may-have-been-spreading-in-china-last-august-harvard-research-suggests/

 

I could not get the actual Harvard prepublication link to work (or open). 

https://dash.harvard.edu/handle/1/42669767

I think that's it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Video title: ”Message for the World and India.”

https://youtu.be/2V21MLAGaB0

(Rahul, the guest being interviewed, urges Indians in particular- and also others with high levels of melanin skin pigment and who tend to have low Vitamin D levels - to consider vitamin D. In the latter part of video, he describes some information that is in an article he is one of the authors of related to UV and Vitamin D.) 

 

 

@ElizabethB I think you might find it particularly interesting at around 20 minutes in where he discusses his group’s research. 

 

Also @Dreamergal - possibly of help to share with your family overseas?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Terabith said:

My younger kid's best friend from school is having a "socially distanced birthday party" on Saturday.  I have no idea of the details or what that means, but my kid hasn't seen anyone outside of our family for three months.  I think I'm going to let her go.  

My friend’s twins had a social distance birthday party. They sat 6 feet away from their guests (one household at a time) in the outdoors (think was their driveway) and chat while having slices of cake. My friend basically “clean up” after each household left and before the next household arrive.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arcadia said:

My friend’s twins had a social distance birthday party. They sat 6 feet away from their guests (one household at a time) in the outdoors (think was their driveway) and chat while having slices of cake. My friend basically “clean up” after each household left and before the next household arrive.

I suspect this will be less socially distanced than that, honestly.  I'm nervous, but I think she really needs some social time.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...