Menu

What can I get my daughter's boyfriend..

PrincessMommy

I've scourged the unique gifts thread but i'm stumped.

He works in finance.  He likes beer and fine whiskey type stuff.  He's into fantasy football and definitely not a geek (gasp!).  He doesn't have a beard and dresses nicely (I would call it a yuppy look but that ages me LOL).   I don't want to spend a lot - less than $50.   I think he likes to cook and he has his own apartment.  I don't know how well supplied he is in the kitchen gadget dept.  I don't want to ask my daughter because I don't want him to feel obligated to get us anything (she'll tell him).  

How about a whiskey off this Forbes's list:    forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/05/27/10-great-whiskies-for-every-whisky-lover/#405534cb613c. I have not tried any of these.  I used  to enjoy the drink when I was a  young banking exec, but can't stand the smell of the stuff after a rough night 30 years ago. 

• Like 3

Does he like coffee?  Burr coffee bean grinder w/a pound of good whole beans.  Or, an Aeropress or French press.

If you live in colder weather, a pair of good quality dress leather gloves.

A good quality bottle of whiskey.  I know this sounds simple, but if that's what he likes, he'll appreciate the quality.

Specialty beers pack.  Something like...Beers from around the world.  Funniest names.  Cheap vs. Expensive.  American vs. European.

• Like 1

Our metro area has a few beer/pub passes available that are great gift items for beer lovers.  They also make fun date nights and encouragement to try something new so could be fun for them as a couple.  You might google for that kind of thing for your area.  It's become a go to gift for us.  

Here is a big one that has our metro and a number of metros

https://getpubpass.com/collections/all-cities

But there are a few different options available for our metro so you may want to google.  

• Like 4

I wanted to get my middle daughter's boyfriend something for Christmas, but didn't want him to feel uncomfortable or that he needed to reciprocate. To get around this, I got a joint gift that was for my daughter and her boyfriend.

What sort of things do they like to do together? Dinner? Movies? A night away? Games?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

if he likes coffee, a set of joulies (joulies.com)

These scared my teeth so much they almost jumped out of my mouth. I need caffeine to be coherent in the morning, it's probably not a good idea for me to throw chunks of stainless steel into that first cup of coffee. 

• Haha 2

Technical hiking or running socks would be great for an outdoorsy gift that doesn’t seem too overwhelming.

They run about $15/pair or so.  REI carries socks by Wright Socks that I really like.  They are thin but double layer, so they look kind of like dress socks but wick like double layer ones.  Men’s or Women’s.  

If you want to be more speedy, a head lamp is always nice.  Or a solar lamp, the cube kind that is about 6 inches on a side.  Those are still newish and so he might not have one.

• Like 1

Agree with the socks above. Smartwool socks (or a merino wool equivalent) aren't cheap, but they last forever, and the runners in my family are always happy to get them. (They have become a standard stocking stuffer around here.) They come in various "heights," so you can get the type that works with the activity. You can get them online, but if you go to a place like Dick's, it's easier to determine the thickness; I bought some online that were considerably thinner one time. Extra carabiners can be used for lots of things (the 3" size, especially), and are good for an inexpensive add-on or a stocking gift.

When our sil was new to the family and I had no idea what to get him, I found out he really likes fudge, so I made a batch just for him and sent it. He loved it and hoarded it, lol.

• Like 3

I got my son a gift certificate at an indoor climbing gym - they had a special for non-members of 5 visits for $60.  And you can use those visits anyway you want - meaning you can take a friend that day and it would count for two visits.  So that might be something fun your daughter and boyfriend could do togethre. 

• Like 4

Throw blankets are always my go to for dd's boyfriends over the years.  Hat and scarf set.  Trail and/or hiking guide.  Hydroflask water bottle (I like these better than Yeti) or travel mug.

Maybe a gift bag of water bottle, hiking snacks, chocolate covered espresso beans, emergency whistle?  Or a gift bag with hat, scarf, gloves? 

Do they like Frisbee golf?

Picnic blanket or basket?

• Like 1

If you don't want to ask either of them what he might like, probably consumables like RX or Kind bars, socks, REI gift card etc. Or an REI returnable item with receipt--he could definitely find something he'd love if he wanted to exchange.

A boot dryer or YakTrax if you could ask if he'd like them. It's hard to know what he already has or would prefer.

Restaurant gift card they could both enjoy--perhaps something near an area where they like to hike? Climbing gym gift card mentioned above is a great idea--combines their loves for working out and practice for outdoor adventure.

Amy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, katilac said:

Whiskey glasses? dh likes whiskey, and Santa is bringing him these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QQ3V3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are nicely presented in a gift box, a bit unusual, and something that can always be used as an extra for parties if he already has favorites. 

My DH was walking by when I was looking at these glasses LoL.  He said, “Oh, those are nice!”

I would do these and a nice bottle of whiskey!!!! Cannot go wrong!

• Like 2

a Bluetooth stocking cap/beanie, nice compass, folding outdoor chair, phone charger pack, reflectors to put on clothing if running in dark,  nice car window ice remover/scraper, license plate holder of hobby or sports team, cooler,  nice scarf, umbrella, wallet with scan protection built in, park pass, escape room gift card they could do together, do you have an indoor climbing wall or an ifly near you they could do those together.  These are things my sons would like. Hope you find something you got a lot of great ideas.

• Like 1

I'd do SmartWool hiking socks and a bottle of Basil Hayden's Bourbon.

ETA:  because both are consumable and useful for what he likes.  Smartwool socks are warm and comfortable, wicking, always lovely, especially in winter for an outdoor oriented person.  The knockoffs I've tried are not as good.

Basil Hayden's is widely available (made by Jim Beam distilleries), but not many people who haven't been on the tour have tried it.  It's nice for sipping, it's not as expensive as the ultra high end bottles, but it's almost as good.   It's lovely really.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Picnic backpack or cooler.  My daughter (22) and her boyfriend, whom I've actually never met, hike a lot and picnic.  I gave them a picnic backpack that is basically a cooler (it has a compartment to hold a bottle of wine) and has little straps for some little plates and knives.  I replaced the little plates with something nicer, filled the salt and pepper shakers, and replaced the ugly picnic blanket that was included with one a little nicer.  It would have been fine as-is, though.  Either way, it would have been an upgrade from the Trader Joe's paper sack they were using. . ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plansrme said:

Picnic backpack or cooler.  My daughter (22) and her boyfriend, whom I've actually never met, hike a lot and picnic.  I gave them a picnic backpack that is basically a cooler (it has a compartment to hold a bottle of wine) and has little straps for some little plates and knives.  I replaced the little plates with something nicer, filled the salt and pepper shakers, and replaced the ugly picnic blanket that was included with one a little nicer.  It would have been fine as-is, though.  Either way, it would have been an upgrade from the Trader Joe's paper sack they were using. . ..

What a great idea! Would you mind sharing where you got it? 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, PrincessMommy said:

Lots of drinking ideas.  Any outdoorsy ideas?? 

lightweight headlamp

life straw water filter

backpacking French press

titanium spoons that have extra long handles, so you can eat out of the pouches with the freeze dried meals

solar charger

waterproof nylon storage sacks

climbing gear if they climb (a nice carabiner or good piece of webbing)

hiking guide for a destination they are planning to visit

sierra club (or similar) wall calendar

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1