Menu

Update: finding a calling after kids are gone

regentrude

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Is it?  I think you can put a link in your signature without it violating rules.  I think that's what Farrar has done.

Thanks, but I do not feel comfortable doing that, for several reasons. But I am deeply touched that people are interested.

• Like 1

I am so happy for you!  I'm so glad you found something satisfying and I'm sure it will lead to even more. 

I don't know if I replied to that thread or just started one of my own, but I was in the same boat. I am happy to say I'm much more satisfied today as well. I started volunteering which led to starting a math club for elementary age kids. This semester I am taking classes toward a teaching certificate and a substitute teachers license. I don't know how it will all end up, but I'm so much happier on this current journey. It has really been good for my soul. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I am so happy for you!  I'm so glad you found something satisfying and I'm sure it will lead to even more. 

I don't know if I replied to that thread or just started one of my own, but I was in the same boat. I am happy to say I'm much more satisfied today as well. I started volunteering which led to starting a math club for elementary age kids. This semester I am taking classes toward a teaching certificate and a substitute teachers license. I don't know how it will all end up, but I'm so much happier on this current journey. It has really been good for my soul. 

That sounds wonderful! I am happy you found something that nourishes your soul.

Regentrude,

I am so delighted to hear this!

I harbor secret writing hopes myself- and you and I discussed poetry writing at one point. 

Also, just a note to say how much I value your voice on this board.

Thanks so much for sharing this news and your journey.

-Rebecca

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regentrude, I've missed your presence on the board since your ds went off to Uni.  Clearly OT, but I just wanted to thank you for all your help in the application process last year with my older ds.  Your advice was invaluable and definitely helped him get where he is now.  

Ruth in NZ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations! I remember that thread three years ago and now I find myself in the same situation facing an empty nest. It is so interesting that you found your answer in poetry. I have always felt that physics people had a strong artistic side. I'm an engineer and am finding myself strongly drawn to teaching, especially math. We will see what the future holds for me. I have always appreciated and respected your posts and answers to questions on so many topics. Thank you for your contribution to this board and to so many of us that have used your advice for years with successful outcomes. I wish you continuing success and hope you pop in to the board from time to time.

Cheryl

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lewelma said:

Regentrude, I've missed your presence on the board since your ds went off to Uni.  Clearly OT, but I just wanted to thank you for all your help in the application process last year with my older ds.  Your advice was invaluable and definitely helped him get where he is now.  

Ruth in NZ

Thank you for your kind words, Ruth. I have always enjoyed reading about your unique homeschooling approach and have cheered your DS on in his successes. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

I’m happy for you, and it gives me hope for my own life. My dc are in college, but they both live at home and commute in order to save money, so my empty nest has been delayed. I don’t look forward to the emptiness. I will take your lead, though, and search for something meaningful and fulfilling. 

I struggled with the emptiness, but after a few years, I have come to actually embrace it. I love my kids dearly, but man, it's nice not to have other people to consider when making plans - even if it's small things like who is home for what meal. And I now have my own room! Imagine that! A study with my own desk where I can leave everything out and nobody else goes in there. (took me FOUR years before I was able to repurpose DD's room - only when she was close to graduating college and had a job lined up did something shift for me and enabled me to do that). Actually, I am writing quite a bit about that in my book - part of it is about the kids leaving home and reclaiming my life.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. You've always been an inspiration for me on our homeschool and college journey. I stopped in to check the Hive for pro's and con's of Instant Pots and browse the boards. DH and I are adjusting to a mostly empty nest and food prep needs to be adjusted.

• Like 1