Menu

How do you remember those random to dos?

medawyn

All those little items that float through your mind when your hands are busy elsewhere or you are dashing out the door or you don’t have time/supplies to complete anything in the moment.

By the time I get to my destination, that whispy thought is gone, only to return at another inopportune time.

Making a note on my phone hasn’t worked bc I endeavor not to have my phone on me during the day.

Edited by medawyn
Autocorrect

Years ago a friend shared a technique that I still use. It does require a wristwatch though perhaps you could substitute something else.

Now when I need to remember something, I turn my watch around and say aloud what it is that I need to remember. Later I notice that my watch is turned around and (most of the time) I remember what needs to be done.

Good luck finding a technique that works for you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Every day I write my to do list and it stays in my pocket throughout the day. When I think of a task that needs to be done or an item that needs to be added to the shopping list, I note it on the back.  But when I am driving or otherwise unable to write I have Siri add a reminder for me and when I walk back in the door she reminds me to add to my list.

I don’t think my method is helpful for you because your hands are occupied and you don’t want your phone with you.

When kids were younger (all adults now) they often wrote things for me while I was driving or otherwise too busy to do it. 

• Like 1

I keep my ipad nearby and put things on the calendar.  When I check the calendar later, I’ll see a little note to myself.

If there’s no ipad nearby, then I have pads of paper and pens/pencils in every room and I write it down.

I keep a pencil and plastic pencil sharpener in the car along with a pad of paper and I jot things down in the car.  If I’m driving, I write a single word on the pad of paper without looking at the word.  Then, it will jog my memory later when I can do something about it.  

I will STOP everything if I need to remember something later, even if we’re running out the door.  I can’t stand the sensation of thinking of something and not writing it down and then forgetting it.  So, I will just stop everything and write it down.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I write it in the mist on the shower door. Then if I really can't remember what it was later I can go back and run the hot water for a while.

Other times I assign a child to remember the task. I go into a long-winded discussion about what it is, why it needs to be done, why they need to remember it (I'm remembering toilet paper and ice cream sprinkles for the grocery list), and what the trigger will be for telling me (when you are desperately looking for a legitimate way to put off piano practice a little longer, this is the thing). They usually forget, but after all this I tend to remember. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I put them in the reminders app in my iphone.  Right now I have a reminder to order cap and gown for my dd.  It keeps popping up whenever I see my phone.  I won't get it done until tomorrow, but I also won't forget to do it all together...

I am also able to give reminders a time/date to come "remind" me.  So if I know I want to call college dd on tuesday between her classes, I can set a reminder to come on every tuesday at 1pm...

I keep a to do list on my phone's home screen.  Anything urgent or needing to be done this week goes on the top. Things that can wait, but still need to be remembered go lower on the list.  When things have specific times, I also set alarms.

Right now, I have a Happy Planner.  I like my Happy Planner, and like all the stickers and stuff that come with it.  I have added a set of blank note pages and have started keeping a master to do list on that.  And on the weekly pages, where they have a "notes" side bar, I write out the things I need to do that week.  I go through the master to do list in the back, thinking about what can/needs to be done *this week* and include those, but also use it to jot down any of the things I think of during the week/randomly.  This is currently effective, but mostly I suspect that's the novelty.  If it fails later, I am ok with tha

I have a Happy Planner this year, too, after years and years of trying (failing) to fully utilize my digital calendar. I think it just appeals to the creative/art/writing side of me to have the physical book and the stickers are fun. I love writing in there! I use my colorful pens, too. 

Is a Happy Planner kind of like a bullet journal? I really enjoy my BJ but when I get too busy I find that I’m not using it. But when things slow down, I do enjoy it. still need that daily index card, but I do prefer to have a place in my bullet journal to write down things that need to be done but not in the upcoming few days. 

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

Is a Happy Planner kind of like a bullet journal? I really enjoy my BJ but when I get too busy I find that I’m not using it. But when things slow down, I do enjoy it. still need that daily index card, but I do prefer to have a place in my bullet journal to write down things that need to be done but not in the upcoming few days. 

It has more in common with the old Franklin Covey planners. 

• Like 1

I have a desk job, so I see my emails every day and usually run errands after work.  At night or over a weekend, I email myself from my phone and come morning make a to-do list for the day.

Edited by Hannah

5 hours ago, Kareni said:

Years ago a friend shared a technique that I still use. It does require a wristwatch though perhaps you could substitute something else.

Now when I need to remember something, I turn my watch around and say aloud what it is that I need to remember. Later I notice that my watch is turned around and (most of the time) I remember what needs to be done.

Good luck finding a technique that works for you.

Regards,

Kareni

I've always done something similar.  I turn my watch upside-down while thinking about the thing -- whatever it is -- hard.  I've kind of gotten out of the habit of doing that this past year though, and generally send myself texts instead.  I send them to my email, which I check at least twice daily.  If I'm home, I simply add it to my list of things to do, which I keep either on a sticky note right on my computer (which I see several times/day) or where I sit at the table.

If I'm somewhere (like driving) where I can't write it down or text it, I remember a visual story in my head, something ridiculous that has in it everything I need to remember.  So if I need to remember to stop at the post office and call the lawn company and put out the recycling, I might picture myself riding on a lawn mower to the postoffice carrying empty cans and milk bottles -- haha.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A combination of methods: 

I write it on my tadk list in my bullet journal if that’s accessible. 

Write it on the mirror in my room or the white board in the kitchen (I keep markers handy)  

audio memo on my phone if I’m driving or otherwise away from my writing options  

and alarm on my phone or Echo (Amazon Alexa) if I can’t stop what I’m doing to record it (Siri, in 45 minutes, remind be to write down toilet paper) .

post it notes for reminders. 

I consolidate all the notes/reminders regularly....

• Like 1

I still keep a paper dayminder on my desk.  When I am out or at work, I note things either on One Note if work related or in Cozi which is a calendar and list app.

For quick notes at home, I go to the dayminder and jot things down. I don't miss anything (or rarely) when it's on the dayminder because I enter it a few days before a due date or with enough time to prepare for something if it needs prep. 

You could also try sticky notes in your purse or a small spiral bound pad that fits into small spaces. 

I keep a running list on me pretty much at all times. (I use a Happy Planner half sheet notebook, which also has my shopping lists.). At home, if my hands are full, I can shout out to Alexa. Siri and I don’t get along so well.

It can take a little time for the habit to stick, but it’s a life saver.

Thanks all.  I joke with my ADHD DH that he’s better equipped than I am, because he has developed so many strategies over the years.  I could always just hold everything in my brain, but between four kids and years of interrupted sleep, there are times I can’t even remember if I’ve used shampoo... while I’m standing in the shower.

I’m  going to experiment with some of these strategies to see what sticks.  And yes @CES2005, actually getting “it” done is a different challenge entirely! But at least I hopefully won’t be driving myself crazy trying to remember what I’m not doing!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, medawyn said:

Thanks all.  I joke with my ADHD DH that he’s better equipped than I am, because he has developed so many strategies over the years.  I could always just hold everything in my brain, but between four kids and years of interrupted sleep, there are times I can’t even remember if I’ve used shampoo... while I’m standing in the shower.

I’m  going to experiment with some of these strategies to see what sticks.  And yes @CES2005, actually getting “it” done is a different challenge entirely! But at least I hopefully won’t be driving myself crazy trying to remember what I’m not doing!

Sleep is so vital!  I've recently learned that.  I know it's really hard at certain stages, but do whatever you can (and tell whoever you have to) to reduce the number of interruptions to needs and can't-help-its.  Those are plenty.  I hope you find something that works.  🙂 

Google Keep & Google Calendar. I have both on my phone, and I always have my phone. It always backs up in Cloud, so I never lose it... which has historically been a problem with every other method I've tried. I like that Google syncs easily between my phone and Chromebook, so I have the information handy whichever I'm using. Google Tasks is also something I've also started using.

I keep a running "notes" going on my phone. Shopping lists, to do, etc. I also take pictures/screen shots of important things/dates/emails.

For hands free, in-the-moment stuff, what about one of those Alexa type devices. Ya know, "Alexa, add chips to the shopping list." (I don't have one so I don't know if this is a thing...)

13 hours ago, Quill said:

It has more in common with the old Franklin Covey planners. 

Ooh, I wouldn't mind a cheaper version of Franklin Covey. I might have to go look at one for next year.

15 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Right now, I have a Happy Planner.  I like my Happy Planner, and like all the stickers and stuff that come with it.  I have added a set of blank note pages and have started keeping a master to do list on that.  And on the weekly pages, where they have a "notes" side bar, I write out the things I need to do that week.  I go through the master to do list in the back, thinking about what can/needs to be done *this week* and include those, but also use it to jot down any of the things I think of during the week/randomly.  This is currently effective, but mostly I suspect that's the novelty.  If it fails later, I am ok with that. 

Mostly, I find most of those random things floating in my head, they often naturally move themselves to the forefront as they become more urgent.  For example, buying water softener salt. This task never made it to my Happy Planner.  But, last week, the light started blinking.  We had one bag left, so DH put that in and I asked him to buy more on his way home from work.  Which he didn't.  But because it's more urgent, it's on my grocery list for tomorrow.  It's not groceries, but I will be out running errands anyway so it's on the list now.

This is what I try to do, but the master list has not been visual enough for me. I also keep a notebook in my purse if I am without my planner--much better than putting something on my phone (so far--got a new phone, so I might have better options). The notebook is like a tiny composition book and bound the same way. 

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

For those odds and ends, random to-do's, and reminder notes that just don't have a place or a time to be in the planner (or for items I just want to see at a glance), I make a "dashboard", like this:

I use the laminated covers (on the inside of the planner) for sticking on  extra small sticky notes. I use notes for each individual thing that needs to be done. Each thing has a date, usually just the month, of when it needs to be done/addressed. I highlight the date so it catches my eye. I arrange them on the "dashboard" of the planner.  I leave it there until it gets closer to the time of doing it. Then I move the sticky to the month it will get done if it is something that just needs to be done "sometime this month". I move it to the specific date if it has a specific time to be done.

For example, I put the date my cat had a rabies shot on the dashboard on a tiny sticky. (Previously, I would have to drag her vet records out of a heavy file box if I wanted to know). When the time for her next rabies vax gets close, I can make a note in the month portion of the planner. I make the appointment in that month and put that on the specific date. When she has her shot, I make a new sticky and rip the old one from the dashboard.  This way, I never miss rabies shots. Notes that I have on there now are: the date Triple A expires, the date my allergic cat had a steroid shot and began new food, the date our equity lines matures, and the date of rabies shots for my pets.

I like this because it's helpful to be able to see a whole cluster of important items all at once rather than having them embedded in the planner somewhere and forgetting what month that thing might come up. I can even move the sticky from the cover to the planner page for the week if I need to. If it's something that may end up changing and may not happen until the following week, I don't pencil the item in for that week. I just use the sticky and place it on that day/week. If it doesn't get done, I move the sticky to the following week/day. Everything else gets penciled in as normal.

This works for me because I need to be this way in order to remember. I finally have things together. I don't have a good memory anymore, so if I can "remember" to write everything down and use this method, it works. After trying everything out there, I am finally happy with what I'm doing.

(Oh, and there is a little booklet that comes with the EC planner. You can write down birthdays and events that repeat each year in that little book and then transfer that book to your new planner the following year. I used to hate re-writing everything over again and would often forget to do it. Then I would end up forgetting a birthday. You can attach the book to the spiral of your planner by using little adhesive tabs that you can order from EC. You can put pretty much anything into your planner this way, which is what makes it so customizable).

Anyway, the "dashboard" method is really great for random stuff, reminders, and things that you just aren't sure of the date they will happen or need to be done.

The inside back cover is the dashboard where I attach a large 6x4 sticky note with a master to do list.

Whoa--I love this! I need something more visual like this!!! 

4 hours ago, CES2005 said:

Sleep is so vital!  I've recently learned that.  I know it's really hard at certain stages, but do whatever you can (and tell whoever you have to) to reduce the number of interruptions to needs and can't-help-its.  Those are plenty.  I hope you find something that works.  🙂 

Along that line, the very best thing I did for my memory was to get a C-Pap  (obviously after having a sleep study). 

• Like 1

Sticky notes. I stick them to my purse/phone so I remember to leave the house with them and then stick them to my car dash/stereo. Then at each destination I can see what I need to do/buy/whatever. By having them out where I can see them, I am also better about planning my driving route. As I complete them, I toss them. I love it when I get to the end of the day and have them all gone :0). I also like that I can make notes on them and save them for another day if needed. 

• Like 2

I write it down in one way or the other. 

My planner is always sitting on the table and I always have pen/paper in my purse and in the car. Even if I forget to check, I'm fairly likely to see a note in my purse whilst rummaging for something else. 

If I'm dashing out of the door, it only takes a few seconds to write something down. Same for my hands being busy - I set down the laundry, write the note, resume laundry.

I have whiteboards on my fridge for when I'm in an insane hurry or doing something messier with my hands, like prepping dinner. I rinse or just wipe down my hands with a towel (and throw the towel on the floor as dirty) and write on the whiteboard, which will not be ruined if some gravy or such gets on it. If I'm elbow-deep in raw meat I will let it go if it's not super important or time sensitive (unless someone else is in the house, in which case I will yell for them to write it down). 

My dd writes things down on her arm, lol. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Along that line, the very best thing I did for my memory was to get a C-Pap  (obviously after having a sleep study). 

I think my quality of sleep is fine, I just have too many interrupters.  Time will solve that (and weaning the baby...).  My hormones are slightly wonky, but until I'm done breastfeeding there's only so much I can do.  Hopefully the end of nursing will mean more consistently uninterrupted sleep, and straightening out the thyroid/adrenal/testosterone issues will assist the rest of the fatigue and memory issues.  

Then I'll just need to learn some better tools to juggle all the balls effectively.  

• Like 2

I have made a daily "to do" list on my calendar.  It syncs between my computer and phone.

I have the ongoing "do" list, and I will highlight the most pressing items.  many things do get rolled over, but some are those things that "when you have an afternoon free, you can do this..."

I have a secondary list for "done".   (so I can look back and see what I've actually "done".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

I do use a planner, but if my hands are full and something pops into my head, I sing it aloud. Setting 

to song helps it stick long enough to either do it or write it down.

I’m going to try that! Any tune especially useful?  That seems like it might go with Row, row, row your boat...  

I use the Habitica app. Since you level up based on to do’s, habits, and tasks completed, there is an incentive both to complete stuff and to actually note it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1