Menu

At any given time at my house. . .

Miss Peregrine

...there is at least one pair of size 12 tennis shoes strewn recklessly in the family room. They're big and never right beside each other, so in the pre-dawn darkness as I'm stumbling to the coffee pot, I invariable trip on them.

:glare:

There are 4 males with the exact same hiking shoe in my house, and our dog enjoys moving shoes around. There are ALWAYS lone shoes left laying in various places in my living room. I never trip over these, but I'm always tripping over my dh's crocs when he leaves them in the bedroom.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Until recently, I would have been able to say the toilet needed flushed if my kids were around.  :/

Also, the number of dirty socks on random floors always exceeds the number they could have possibly been wearing since the last sock harvest.

Been working on these issues (and similar) for years now ... apparently my kids are really slow learners.

• Like 5

A scooter, as in kick-scooter is leaning against something. Youngest uses it to cover the long distances from, let's say the kitchen table to the kitchen counter.  :huh:  He even stands on it when possible as in for almost all his school. 

And it's not like he doesn't get the chance to scooter outside. Scooter is are main means of transport in the house. Likely covering 30km a week by scooter just to get to the various places we have to go. 

• Like 3

Until recently, I would have been able to say the toilet needed flushed if my kids were around.  :/

Also, the number of dirty socks on random floors always exceeds the number they could have possibly been wearing since the last sock harvest.

Been working on these issues (and similar) for years now ... apparently my kids are really slow learners.

My Dh is always the one to blame for sock mountains. When Eldest was little he once said, "When I grow up I want to make sock mountains just like Daddy."

• Like 6

There are empty ice cube trays in the freezer (no, we don't have an ice maker in our fridge).

There is a stuffed mouse toy on the family room floor that one of the cats "killed" and presented to us.

There's a closet or cabinet door that's been left open. Seriously, why can't they close that kind of door? Dh is just as guilty as ds.

• Like 2

I thought we were the only people with the toaster issue.

Yes on the unflushed toilet.

We also have abandoned socks left in random places.

We have random water bottles and half-finished cans of Diet Pepsi about as well. I swoop these up at the end of the day, but it’s clear where someone stopped mid-thought to go do something else.

• Like 2

I thought we were the only people with the toaster issue.

Yes on the unflushed toilet.

We also have abandoned socks left in random places.

We have random water bottles and half-finished cans of Diet Pepsi about as well. I swoop these up at the end of the day, but it’s clear where someone stopped mid-thought to go do something else.

How is it possible to forget you're hungry so much? I don't know if it's the same person or not.  :lol:

• Like 1

It’s multiple people at my house doing it (all menfolk).

It’s in the am before the ADD meds have kicked in, and the toast is only part of the breakfast. They start eating their eggs or yogurt while the toast is cooking, and then wander off, forgetting that they were waiting on toast.

There is a reason some of them are on medication. The rest of them need it, but are stubborn and self-Medicate with caffeine.

• Like 2

Somewhere in my house, dd11 has dumped out a bin/laundry basket/storage basket etc...looking for something and didn't put it back.She can not look inside of something, without pulling everything out and dumping it on the floor.  There may be one....or there may be 10, it just depends on how early in the day we are talking about!

• Like 1

That half a cup of coffee that I poured right before getting busy with something a couple of hours ago.

There's a high probability that the same cup of coffee will be placed in the microwave and warmed for an afternoon pick me up.  Only, it will be forgotten in the microwave until it's stone cold again.  And, warmed up coffee isn't great to begin with, warmed twice?  Nope.  A shameful waste of coffee, must be time to switch to a cup of tea, where the situation may have a chance of being eerily repeated.

• Like 6

That half a cup of coffee that I poured right before getting busy with something a couple of hours ago.

There's a high probability that the same cup of coffee will be placed in the microwave and warmed for an afternoon pick me up. Only, it will be forgotten in the microwave until it's stone cold again. And, warmed up coffee isn't great to begin with, warmed twice? Nope. A shameful waste of coffee, must be time to switch to a cup of tea, where the situation may have a chance of being eerily repeated.

Hehe, I just drink my coffee cold now because of that Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 4

Forgotten waffles in the toaster.

Mystery socks left in the game room. Not my kids’ socks. Friends have a tendency to shed their socks here. It started with the trampoline and the piles and piles of mystery socks and flip flops left behind by various kids. The mystery socks have migrated to the game room now. On nice days, I wash them and put them in a lost and found box. On mean days, they are tossed. No kid ever wants to claim them from the box, anyway!

Dishes in the family room. Multiple water glasses. Gaaaah!

And ... on any given day, not necessarily all day long, there is whining about math. Sigh.

• Like 1

There are kitchen cupboard doors or drawers open, often several.

One or more dining chairs in front of the kitchen sink or in front of a lower cupboard that I need to get to.

The trade-off is my kids get their own water and make their own snacks and treats.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

Some one will be in pajamas.  Currently it's me.

There will be a mountain of clean clothes in the laundry area.  The contents of the mountain change every day, so at least we all know that I am making sure the kids have clean clothes to wear! lol.  But, I hate folding.  I have delegated some of that chore but I am often washing more than DD9 can reasonably be expected to fold lol. 

I had this problem too for a long time, then I gave up folding.

No one has noticed or remarked on any difference.  We literally just shove clothes into drawers or cubby holes or wherever they go.  The world has not stopped spinning as yet.

• Like 2

Dirty dishes on top of the dishwasher, empty toilet paper rolls, milk cartons next to the trash can, 15 open cereal boxes (and yes, I generally only buy three different flavors), milk cartons with about 1/16 of an inch of milk in them, trash in the recycle bag and recyclables in the trash (we only separate plastics #1 and 2, glass and paper), and my absolute favorite " I can't take a shower because you forgot to put my preferred shower gel into the shower" :banghead:

• Like 2

...there is a hungry cat that isn't really hungry, but just thinks it is and urgently leads you to the (full) cat food bowl to show you that it's hungry and when you ruffle the cat food that's already in the bowl for the cat, it inspects the bowl and then walks away, only to start the process again in about 15 minutes.

...there is a pile of stuff (not my stuff) without a home and the owner of the stuff can't figure out where to home it.  Usually it's dh stuff because if it was kid stuff, I would find it a home.

...there is a pile of my dirty laundry behind the bathroom door because I dashed out of the bathroom in the morning to start school and forgot about it until later in the day when I try to open the door and it won't open all the way because of said pile.  (Tiny bathroom, hamper is in adjacent laundry room.)

• Like 1

crumbs and left behind dishes on the table

a dumped out bin of play food in the basement

a pile of clean clothes needing to be folded (but will, most likely, be dug out of the pile worn before they get folded, but not before the pile grows)

multiple piles of books, "decorating" the living room. All of our bookshelves are downstairs. I clean up before guests come over, but as far as the books are concerned, that sometimes means rearranging the piles so they look a bit more organized/intentional.

• Like 1

How is it possible to forget you're hungry so much? I don't know if it's the same person or not. :lol:

In our house it is the food left in the microwave. And it is always my son who forgets it. I have seen him, after a half an hour, say 'oh! I forgot I made this'.

Maybe that is why he is thin. Lol....

• Like 1

Ours is bills. Really? Open the bill (without shredding the envelope) and then put the stinkin' thing in the correct spot! Do NOT put in a pile with other terribly important things like trash and then complain that you can never get them all paid! Pick up bill. Open with knife on the LONG edge. Look at bill. Take bill and walk THREE steps to the bill file. Decide: medical bill? Bank notice? ranch bill? Put said bill IN THE CORRECT envelope. If you do this, day after day, week after week, then you CAN FIND THE BILL TO PAY ON TIME! What a concept!

This is why I don't let anyone check the mail except me.

-there are at least 3 pairs of shoes per kid in my entryway

-there is bats, gloves, hats, or other baseball gear on the couch

-there is a pile of bobby pins on my bathroom counter

-the trash has been taken out but the liner hasn't been replaced

-there is a cup 1/4 filled with milk sitting on the table

• Like 1

Another: SHAKE the lamb towels out before bringing them in. If the hay and amniotic fluid becomes one with the towel, I can't get it clean! If it smells like another lamb, the ewe will reject the lamb you just dried off. We've been lambing for over 15 years. Surely we've figured this out by now? Typed by a woman who has to go clean the washer and dryer out--three lbs of hay does a real number on machinery. 

If I had a nickel for every time I had to get lamb amniotic fluid out of a towel.....

Jk. Your life is totally alien to me, but I like hearing about it. 

• Like 3

Pretty much all of the above. Also, unfinished home improvement projects because that is how my partner procrastinates. But then he starts procrastinating on the procrastination projects and pretty soon literally every room has something in it that has been taken apart for improvement. :(

• Like 1