Menu

S/o movie ticket prices

Rachel

$10.64. Small town of 20k.

I have not been to the movie theater in years. We have a windowless room in the basement, bought a projector, and can watch movies on a pretty big screen in the comfort of our own home. The projector more than paid for itself over the years.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

$10.64. Small town of 20k.

I have not been to the movie theater in years. We have a windowless room in the basement, bought a projector, and can watch movies on a pretty big screen in the comfort of our own home. The projector more than paid for itself over the years.

My kids would love that but we don’t have a basement. We do have a good friend that has a similar set up and she’ll invite the kids over for movies on the big screen.

Small town (< 3,000), one screen. $5 adults, $4 students and senior citizens. Tuesdays have all seats for $4.

Great prices, that’s about what we paid when my husband and I were dating. If you are a movie fanatic the one screen would be tough.

We don’t watch them in theaters anymore except for once in a blue moon date nights because of the cost. We just buy it on iTunes so we can watch it again and again.

We saw Thor Ragnarok in theaters last month. But I don’t think we set foot in a movie theater for a year and a half before that - I think I was a few months pregnant with the baby. Just too expensive :(. Our matinee tickets were like $9 a piece nd prime time showings were something like $11.75 or some such ridiculousness.

That’s the thing, by the time we pay a sitter it’s a really expensive night out. We have gotten to where we will go to a movie we really want to see either by ourselves or with a friend instead of going as a couple. We have lucked out a couple times recently that Grandma and Grandpa have taken the kids for an overnight while a movie was playing we both wanted to see.

On the really rare occasions (twice in the past six years, I think) that DH and I go see a movie together in the theater (without kids), we go on $5 night, so tickets plus popcorn is only $12.50.  Otherwise, I think it's about $7.50, more for 3D.

They sell popcorn for $2.50?? That is outrageously cheap, lol,. 

• Like 2

I live in a large urban area in California and we love movies.  There are so many ways to buy tickets here :)   

Friday or Saturday Evening: $13.75  Senior & Child: $10 For 3D or XD add $3 to every ticket

Regular Evening Admission: $12.75

Matinee (Before 2pm):  $10.75

Costco Movie Passes:  $8.75 ($35/ 4)

Movie Theater Club: $8.99

Early Bird (First Showing of the Day): $8

Discount Tuesday: $6.50

AT&T Thankful Tuesday Discount:  BOGO on Tuesdays so $7 for 2 tickets ($6.50 + $.50 fee)

Needless to say we go to the movies on Tuesday nights if we can :)  The interesting thing is that Tuesday price is for every theater in the place including the premium, heated, cushy recliners where you get to choose your seat ahead of time.  That is how we saw the new Star Wars :)

Popcorn prices are:

Small:  $5

Med:   $6.50

Large: $7.50

Refillable Large: $8.50

My daughter is currently working at the movie theater and she can get herself and someone else in for free if the show is not sold out and she gets tickets 30 minutes before the show starts.  She has been taking her siblings to all the dumb kid movies that I really don't want to go see and I am so thankful for that.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
  • Like 4

Well we are near Seattle so even matinee is quite spendy. Kids matinee $10.49 and adults $12.06. For our family to go without snacks to a matinee it is about $55 bucks. It is next to not worth it for us. We went to the Doctor Who Christmas special theater event and Coco last year. That was pretty much it.

• Like 2

They sell popcorn for $2.50?? That is outrageously cheap, lol,.

I live near happypamama (in fact, we have gone to the movies together just in the past month), and the $2.50 medium popcorn is only at one local theater on their $5 Tuesday and that price is amazing. Usually a small is $6.50.

Needless to say, we only go to the movies on Tuesdays.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

$6.50 matinee

$8.50 regular

$5.00 Tuesday (all day) in the three local theaters. $2.50 medium popcorn at just one local theater.

If you drive down into the next biggish town (about 25 minutes away) they jump up to $10.50 non-matinee prices. And if you drive an hour to the nearest city, they’re $13 and change.

I go to the movies every single week, so I got a movie pass for $10 a month. I split the $2.50 popcorn with a friend, so I spend $3.75 per movie for my ticket and my share of the popcorn. Can’t beat that!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Well we are near Seattle so even matinee is quite spendy. Kids matinee $10.49 and adults $12.06. For our family to go without snacks to a matinee it is about $55 bucks. It is next to not worth it for us. We went to the Doctor Who Christmas special theater event and Coco last year. That was pretty much it.

Matinee prices, ouch! I’d have to wait on Netflix.

My husband and I just signed up for MoviePass. $9.99/month and you can see one movie each day. No 3D or IMAX, and you can only see each movie once, but still a good deal.

I saw The Greatest Showman three times with my movie pass. Are you sure there’s a limit on seeing each movie only once?

Matinee prices, ouch! I’d have to wait on Netflix.

Yep, Netflix, Prime and Hulu are our go to.

The most shocking thing is that I am someone who files receipts and things. I came across a movie receipt from 2003 from when our older boys would have been 10 yo. The total for 4 people was $21.00. Ok, so yeah, I know that was 15 years ago but it is still so shocking to see such a price difference for the exact same theater.

• Like 1

2D only.

Adult $13.50 before 5 or $16.50 after 5.

Child 11.50 or 13.50

Tuesdays adult $12 child I forget.

Remember we are in NZ and our dollars are a lot less than yours BUT the prices didn't drop when the NZ dollar was in the high 80's against the US.

For comparison the minimum wage is currently $15.75. I earn a few dollars more than that and my kids only go to the movies with their holiday programme who get a group discount.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

And then there are those of us who are crying over the local blockbuster closing last summer because we can't figure out how to watch a cheap movie anymore. Yes, we still had a blockbuster up to a year ago. We don't watch enough for Netflix to ship to us and the on demand is extremely limited. Amazon prime is expensive. We cancelled our video through GCI because is didn't fit in the budget. LOL I miss my 49 cent movies from blockbuster and cannot for the life of me figure out why they didn't get more customers for 49 or 99 cents if you wanted the movie for five days. They could have doubled the price and it still would be a good deal compared to what I see of online options.  

The good news is we play more games together now but yes, considering how shocked I was at the price of watching a movie at home now, I'm pretty sure I would be even more shocked at movie theater tickets. 

• Like 1

And then there are those of us who are crying over the local blockbuster closing last summer because we can't figure out how to watch a cheap movie anymore. Yes, we still had a blockbuster up to a year ago. We don't watch enough for Netflix to ship to us and the on demand is extremely limited. Amazon prime is expensive. We cancelled our video through GCI because is didn't fit in the budget. LOL I miss my 49 cent movies from blockbuster and cannot for the life of me figure out why they didn't get more customers for 49 or 99 cents if you wanted the movie for five days. They could have doubled the price and it still would be a good deal compared to what I see of online options.

The good news is we play more games together now but yes, considering how shocked I was at the price of watching a movie at home now, I'm pretty sure I would be even more shocked at movie theater tickets.

We still have some functional blockbusters in Anchorage. But Red Box is closer. And at the commissary we can buy 3-packs of microwave popcorn at $0.89 a box, which had a coupon for a free Red Box rental.

We still have GCI at the moment, but I'm not pleased with how they're dropping channels like dead flies.

• Like 1

We still have some functional blockbusters in Anchorage. But Red Box is closer. And at the commissary we can buy 3-packs of microwave popcorn at $0.89 a box, which had a coupon for a free Red Box rental.

We still have GCI at the moment, but I'm not pleased with how they're dropping channels like dead flies.

I'm not military so the commissary isn't an option but we could travel to Anchorage for a Blockbuster movie.  But then again how much diesel would that take? Unless we bike and then it will be too late and we would have to just call that the night's entertainment but it would be cheaper.   :lol:    

And then there are those of us who are crying over the local blockbuster closing last summer because we can't figure out how to watch a cheap movie anymore. Yes, we still had a blockbuster up to a year ago.

Our library has free movie rentals, but the late return fee is steep. The last place we lived also offered movies for $1 for one or two nights. (Our library is lame, but it does offer that.)

• Like 2

The Redbox locations in my town are slowly being phased out. We do have Amazon Prime, but that’s because it is cheaper than shipping Christmas presents to my nieces and nephews who live in 5 different states. The movies are a bonus, although the selection is pretty limited.

Our library has an ok selection of movies too. New releases are $1 and everything else is free.

Regular tickets are ten-soothing.

They do have family days sometimes.

I tend to want to go to the "events" though which are usually about $23.

It's expensive, the last time we all went it was about $100.  We haven't all gone together since, if we really want to see something, it is only the keeners that go.  Mostly it's something the kids choose as a birthday treat.

• Like 1

&nbsp;

Shows that begin before 6 PM- $6 &nbsp; &nbsp;Tuesday all day- $5 &nbsp; Evening shows- $8

&nbsp;

It's a nice theater with 9 screens in a smallish town of about 20,000.

&nbsp;

Is this Marcus cinema, perhaps? Ours is similar - before 4pm M-Thus (all day Tuesday) is $5, evenings M-Thur $8 or $9 for huge UltraScreen. Fridays and weekends are $8 before 4pm and $12 after, plus the extra dollar for Ultra. Which is why we only go weekday matinees!

Gotten used to the reserve seating since the reclining seats are so nice, and so much room folks can pass in front of a fully reclined seat w/o bumping into anyone.

Don't every buy popcorn since it got too expensive. If I have my adult son with autism with me, I sneak a chocolate bar and can of his Hansen's sugar free soda in. I just chew gum (to block eating noises around me since I have misophonia).

We do spend the $ to catch the Star Wars films on the biggest screen opening weekend.

Edited by JFSinIL

Is this Marcus cinema, perhaps? Ours is similar - before 4pm M-Thus (all day Tuesday) is $5, evenings M-Thur $8 or $9 for huge UltraScreen. Fridays and weekends are $8 before 4pm and $12 after, plus the extra dollar for Ultra. Which is why we only go weekday matinees!

Gotten used to the reserve seating since the reclining seats are so nice, and so much room folks can pass in front of a fully reclined seat w/o bumping into anyone.

Don't every buy popcorn since it got too expensive. If I have my adult son with autism with me, I sneak a chocolate bar and can of his Hansen's sugar free soda in. I just chew gum (to block eating noises around me since I have misophonia).

We do spend the $ to catch the Star Wars films on the biggest screen opening weekend.

Classic Cinemas- but they are very similar to Marcus, which we go to in Madison. I LOVE those reclining seats because of the space in front of them. Gosh I wish our theater had those!!  

Dh and I  get popcorn because we skip the meal that's closest to when we see a movie...either lunch or dinner. Win-win for me. I get to see a movie, eat popcorn, and then not have to cook dinner. 

I saw The Greatest Showman three times with my movie pass. Are you sure there’s a limit on seeing each movie only once?

I was just looking at Moviepass last night because it was the first time I'd heard of it, and the website said that while you can only see one movie a day, you can see each movie multiple times overall.  If I didn't have a nursing infant, I'd love to do Moviepass. I hope it's still around next year.

• Like 1

Our two bigger theater chains are AMC and Cinepolis.  Both are $12 for adults, $9 for children.  AMC is $10 for seniors, while Cinepolis is $9 for seniors.

IMAX of course costs more.

Cinepolis has cheaper tickets on Tuesdays - $7 for everyone but has fewer screen so movies leave faster.  I can see Jumanji still at the AMC but not at the Cinepolis.  Matinees at AMC are $10/$9/$9 every day.

While doing a google to see other options, I just found out that another local theater that used to be the same chain as the one taken over by Cinepolis is now an independent theater.  They have matinee tickets for $7.50 and peak time tickets for $10/$8.  Good to know.

ETA:  I'm surprised that our prices aren't that high compared to what some of you are posting.  I'm in a pretty HCOL area.

Our go-to these days is Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime, or I'll grab a movie at Redbox when I'm out.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

I had to look it up since we very, very rarely go to the movie:

Regular matinee: 6.29 everyone

Regular evening: 10.59 adult, 9.09 senior, 7.59 child

IMAX matinee: 9.79 everyone

IMAX evening: 15.09 adult, 13.59 senior, 12.09 child

Weekend matinee:9.09 adult, 7.59 senior & child

Weekend evening:11.59 adult, 10.09 senior, 8.59 child

IMAX weekend matinee:13.59 adult, 12.09 senior & child

IMAX weekend evening: 16.09 adult, 14.59 senior, 13.09 child

This is for a medium sized city (about 150K people). 16 screens, no recliners, etc. We have no theaters in my town of 25K.

• Like 1

I just looked our prices up because I haven’t been to the theater in forever. It’s $7 for a matinee and $10.75 for an evening show.

And I never buy snacks at the theater. I bring a water bottle in my purse. The snacks are so crazy expensive.

We’ve stopped going to movies. It’s just expensive. We’d rather pay for a nice dinner and then go home and watch something on iTunes or Netflix.

Ohh and the population in our town is around 60,000. I had to go look it up.

• Like 1

Garga- thanks for mentioning MoviePass! Our theater advertises one for $8.99 but you can only see one movie per month. It does get you the slight discount for companions you bring and 20% off consessions, but you are really only saving $1.75.

MoviePass is something completely different. Right now there is a special for $7.95/month plus a $20 processing fee. But the best part is you can go to as many movies as you want! I just searched my area and my favorite theater does accept it. Here’s the link if anyone else is interested: https://www.moviepass.com

• Like 1

MoviePass?! What the heck is this? It seems like one of those deals that's too good to be true, except that some of you actually use it with no problems? 

It looks like the outrageously expensive local theater is actually in the network, which I can hardly believe, since they pretty much stopped doing any promotions and specials since they renovated. And for an even better deal, Costco has a Moviepass annual pass for $89.99, and it looks like no processing fee?

https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fandor-12-Month-Subscription-eVoucher.product.100395930.html?pageSize=96&catalogId=10701&dept=All&langId=-1&keyword=moviepass&storeId=10301&krypto=GulcZpS9%2FDNtT%2FDgO3aumEnG744zWoL49mR4bx2hRQyDZXLAe%2F1QzMXetlrEczAcYxg%2Fcq5quLWApzwgusvxhGIHRfmYBSkaz8%2F9wGgTFoU%3D

I'm flabbergasted. If this thing actually works like it's supposed to, I think I know what DH is getting for Valentine's Day! He will be SO excited.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Garga- thanks for mentioning MoviePass! Our theater advertises one for $8.99 but you can only see one movie per month. It does get you the slight discount for companions you bring and 20% off consessions, but you are really only saving $1.75.

MoviePass is something completely different. Right now there is a special for $7.95/month plus a $20 processing fee. But the best part is you can go to as many movies as you want! I just searched my area and my favorite theater does accept it. Here’s the link if anyone else is interested: https://www.moviepass.com

Rach, before you sign up (if it's not too late), there's a Costco annual thing:

https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fandor-12-Month-Subscription-eVoucher.product.100395930.html?pageSize=96&catalogId=10701&dept=All&langId=-1&keyword=moviepass&storeId=10301&krypto=GulcZpS9%2FDNtT%2FDgO3aumEnG744zWoL49mR4bx2hRQyDZXLAe%2F1QzMXetlrEczAcYxg%2Fcq5quLWApzwgusvxhGIHRfmYBSkaz8%2F9wGgTFoU%3D

Maybe an even better deal? 

• Like 1

Except I don’t have a Costco membership! Fortunately one of my friends does. Maybe I can get her to purchase this on my behalf.
  • Like 1