Menu

S/o movie ticket prices

Rachel

Except I don’t have a Costco membership! Fortunately one of my friends does. Maybe I can get her to purchase this on my behalf.

OK, so I'm doing more research, and maybe it's better to start out with the monthly. It looks like there are some potential annoyances and hiccups, so maybe we don't want to shell out that much at once. Although I do hate processing fees...

I can't quite figure out how it would work for both DH and I to go see a movie. We'd each need a separate account, and our local theater has assigned seating, so it might be tricky to make sure the seats are guaranteed to be together. I have to think about that a little more, hmmm.

I'm so excited by the idea of this though! We love movies and don't go too often because of the prices. The kids are old enough to stay home alone now, though, so it might be a great way to see more movies with the hubs :D

• Like 1

I’m in suburban Atlanta, movies are $14.50 for adults at regal. I’m surprised at the prices some of you are posting!

DH and I both have a MoviePass. Here’s how it works: you go to the theater, use the app on your phone to choose the theater and movie you want to see. You have to be within a certain distance of the theater. Use your moviepass card (looks/works like a credit card) to pay for the movie.

DH has had it a few months, since the price dropped to $9.99. I’ve had it since Christmas. I have no idea how they make this work as a business, but it’s great for us!

• Like 1

In the closest theater they’re $9 and $8, one dollar cheaper for matinee. Old theater, 3 screens.

In the nearest “big†town they’re $12 and $10. We just saw Winchester there a couple days ago and all 4 of us fell asleep in the big reclining seats.

Dh won't recline in those anymore because if he does he's guaranteed to sleep through the movie. They are SO comfy. 

MoviePass?! What the heck is this? It seems like one of those deals that's too good to be true, except that some of you actually use it with no problems?

It looks like the outrageously expensive local theater is actually in the network, which I can hardly believe, since they pretty much stopped doing any promotions and specials since they renovated. And for an even better deal, Costco has a Moviepass annual pass for $89.99, and it looks like no processing fee?

https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fandor-12-Month-Subscription-eVoucher.product.100395930.html?pageSize=96&catalogId=10701&dept=All&langId=-1&keyword=moviepass&storeId=10301&krypto=GulcZpS9%2FDNtT%2FDgO3aumEnG744zWoL49mR4bx2hRQyDZXLAe%2F1QzMXetlrEczAcYxg%2Fcq5quLWApzwgusvxhGIHRfmYBSkaz8%2F9wGgTFoU%3D

I'm flabbergasted. If this thing actually works like it's supposed to, I think I know what DH is getting for Valentine's Day! He will be SO excited.

I’ve never had a problem with it. I’ve had the movie pass for about 5 months now and I go to the movies at least once a week.

OK, so I'm doing more research, and maybe it's better to start out with the monthly. It looks like there are some potential annoyances and hiccups, so maybe we don't want to shell out that much at once. Although I do hate processing fees...

I can't quite figure out how it would work for both DH and I to go see a movie. We'd each need a separate account, and our local theater has assigned seating, so it might be tricky to make sure the seats are guaranteed to be together. I have to think about that a little more, hmmm.

I'm so excited by the idea of this though! We love movies and don't go too often because of the prices. The kids are old enough to stay home alone now, though, so it might be a great way to see more movies with the hubs :D

They don’t do assigned seating at my theaters. How does it work? For movie pass, you have to be within 100 yards of the theater to buy the ticket. Do you have to buy assigned seating tix ahead of time online? Or do you pick them when you buy them in person?

I’m in suburban Atlanta, movies are $14.50 for adults at regal. I’m surprised at the prices some of you are posting!

DH and I both have a MoviePass. Here’s how it works: you go to the theater, use the app on your phone to choose the theater and movie you want to see. You have to be within a certain distance of the theater. Use your moviepass card (looks/works like a credit card) to pay for the movie.

DH has had it a few months, since the price dropped to $9.99. I’ve had it since Christmas. I have no idea how they make this work as a business, but it’s great for us!

Right—you take your phone and the moviepass card.

You get to within 100 feet of the theater

You open your moviepass app

You pick the theater you want a ticket for (it comes up as the first choice of theaters)

You scroll until you see the movie/time you want and you click on “purchaseâ€

It’ll tell you that you’ve been successful—it’ll also tell you that if your movie is sold out or you change your mind about it, you can undo what you just did.

You walk into the theater and tell them which movie and hand them the moviepass card.

They swipe the card and give you the ticket.

If you have assigned seatings, is that something you have to get ahead of time? If so, then I’m not sure how this would work. The theater would probably know and you could call and ask them.

Edited by Garga

Right—you take your phone and the moviepass card.

You get to within 100 feet of the theater

You open your moviepass app

You pick the theater you want a ticket for (it comes up as the first choice of theaters)

You scroll until you see the movie/time you want and you click on “purchaseâ€

It’ll tell you that you’ve been successful—it’ll also tell you that if your movie is sold out or you change your mind about it, you can undo what you just did.

You walk into the theater and tell them which movie and hand them the moviepass card.

They swipe the card and give you the ticket.

If you have assigned seatings, is that something you have to get ahead of time? If so, then I’m not sure how this would work. The theater would probably know and you could call and ask them.

See, this is where it gets tricky for us. You choose your seats when you buy your ticket. So that's completely fine if I'm going to a movie by myself, but if DH is going to meet me there or even going with me, then we're having to choose seats independently since we're really purchasing separately, rather than buying together and choosing two seats together. It would probably be fine most of the time, but we'd risk not being able to sit together since other people are also buying tickets at the same time and may be choosing the adjacent seats before one of us could buy. And I wouldn't be able to pick up tickets in advance like I usually do, because I wouldn't have access to his phone to get it close enough to the theater. We'd always be limited to when we could actually be there to get the tickets together. Small things, probably, but still limiting the usefulness based on our current movie-going habits.

Well that's depressing. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/unlimited-movie-theater-deal-could-be-too-good-to-survive/ar-BBIZgyv?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like there's a good chance it won't be around when I can finally take advantage of it.

And this is what I'd really be afraid of. I don't see how this is a sustainable model without buy-in from the theaters and suspect it will go defunct soon, though that doesn't mean one couldn't enjoy it while it lasts!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Our theater actually loves Movie Pass customers. The manager I spoke with once said that the seat I fill would be otherwise empty if I didn't use my Movie Pass. AND I'm more likely to buy concessions.

We have seen four or five movies in the past six weeks, which is a lot for us. (And I bought a Diet Coke every time.)

We bought ours from Costco so I feel like they have a good return policy. AND, they were pretty easy to process. You could just borrow someone's Costco number and purchase on your own

AND I'm more likely to buy concessions.

And you know that's where they make all their money.

I miss dollar theaters. There used to be one hidden inside the Virgin Megastore at I think Times Square, but I never found out about it until it was closing. But those were a good way to get the movie experience without having to pay full price. If you didn't mind waiting, I mean.

$12 at the independent theater a town over from us (which we prefer because it is a wonderful non-profit whose purpose is to train and employ adults with developmental disabilities), $13.75 at the BowTie in town.  

There's also a small town (live) theater that runs foreign / classic / artsy films when they don't have a show running.  Those are $7 and I try to keep on top of what they're showing, they are often very good.  (Plug here for animators and artists: Loving Vincent    :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub: )

In New York where my eldest lives, they're $16 and up.

Our library has a huuuuuuuge stock and get every new hit as soon as it comes out in DVD: $1 for two nights; $2 for a week, and they just kill you for late returns, $2/late day with no cap.  But so long as you're organized that's the best deal in town.

• Like 1