Menu

Give me your gross baby girl names!

rose

A lot of name geeks love the name Agatha, or like using Sadie or Sally as proper nicknames (for Sara).

Personally, I'm a fan of Ethel and Edith. I knew a Hazel growing up, and I still think it's one of the best flower/plant baby names, along with Daisy. (Better than Rowan, which was fashionable a few years ago. Not as good as Clover, which is quite modern.)

Looking at the SSA name lists, I also like: Pauline, Adeline, Leona, Opal, Flora, Bonnie, Dorothy, Imogene, Rosalie, Jane, and Jill.

Better than 

Seven

Apple

West

• Like 1

Oh man. When you said gross I was thinking of the urban legends ... yeah. 

So, anyway. There are some that I think are very dated but quaint and charming. Of the ones listed I'd go with Beryl, Dorothy, Glenda, Maude, Ruth (seriously, if I had a dd that would be her name), Edith, Gwendolyn, Hester, Winifred, Phyllis, Harriet, Moira. Other ones that I happen to like would be Adelaide, Rose, Pearl, Clara, Grace, Evelyn, Marjorie, Judith, Constance, Priscilla, Lydia, Genevieve, Rosalind, Lillian, Gillian, Jessamine. 

Then there are some that are just plain dated and I don't really see them making a comeback. Edna, Gertrude, Dorcas, Eunice, Enid, Bertha, Helga, Agatha, Agnes, Ermentrude, Mercy, Silence, Keziah, Mehitabel, Edwina, Sophronia (Phronsie!), Theodosia, Lettice (everyone would call her lettuce!), Griselda, Bathsheba, Eulalia, Eglentine, Petronella, Scholastica, Elfreda, Etheldreda, Godiva, Urith. 

You might be surprised. I know at least four children named Mercy, all in families that don't know each other. I'm somewhat partial toward Eunice. The germanic names are just so unfashionable right now. Vowels are in. Maybe Eulalia can make a come back. Dh suggested that name for our last dd. I also really like Constance. Eglentine, Petronella, Scholastica, Elfreda, Etheldreda, Godiva and Ermentrude would be really hard to live with. They sound soooo foreign to our ears.

• Like 1

I also really like Constance

That's my name!

But Connie sounds dated in the wrong way - it's a 1940s - 1950s name. I'd stick with the full name, or else another nickname like Stanzie.

Eglentine, Petronella, Scholastica, Elfreda, Etheldreda, Godiva and Ermentrude would be really hard to live with. They sound soooo foreign to our ears.

Eglantine and Elfreda aren't that bad, but I wouldn't go with Godiva. Most people have heard that name, after all, and it's bound to produce a few snickers even if all they think about is the chocolates.

• Like 2

Aletheia

I had a great aunt with this name and when I was little thought it was pretty and unusual. I've met a few sweet little old ladies with the name since then.

I went to school with a couple of girls with that name (I'm in my mid 30s). I think one of my sister in law's friends has this name.

I suspect Mildred/Millicent may become more popular soon because of the nickname Millie (after the actress on Stranger Things).

You might be surprised. I know at least four children named Mercy, all in families that don't know each other. I'm somewhat partial toward Eunice. The germanic names are just so unfashionable right now. Vowels are in. Maybe Eulalia can make a come back. Dh suggested that name for our last dd. I also really like Constance. Eglentine, Petronella, Scholastica, Elfreda, Etheldreda, Godiva and Ermentrude would be really hard to live with. They sound soooo foreign to our ears.

There is a member here with a Mercy. I quite like it.

And I like Petronella, ever since I read The Miniaturist. It lends itself easily to being Nella or Petra, but it also sounds good with all four syllables. It’s one of those perfect enigmatic names: feeling demur? Use Nella. Funky and modern? Go with Petra. Need to sign a legal document? Nobody screws over a Petronella.

It’s perfect!

• Like 3

I think all this older siblings naming babies is funny.

When I was a teenager, my mom was having my youngest sister, which was horrifying enough when you’re 16. Then she was insistent on naming the baby Olivia. I thought Olivia was a terrible, ugly, horribly old fashioned name, and eventually I prevailed and the baby was named something else(a truly lovely name, too). The argument went on for months before my sister’s birth though. My poor mom had her heart set on Olivia and I thought it was just an absolutely awful name for a baby.

Fast forward about sixteen years, when I gave birth to my own daughter.

You should have seen the look on my mother’s face when I handed her my Olivia.

• Like 16

That's my name!

But Connie sounds dated in the wrong way - it's a 1940s - 1950s name. I'd stick with the full name, or else another nickname like Stanzie.

Eglantine and Elfreda aren't that bad, but I wouldn't go with Godiva. Most people have heard that name, after all, and it's bound to produce a few snickers even if all they think about is the chocolates.

All that I think of with Godiva is the Lady Godiva rides :ohmy:.  I don't get the connection with chocolate. (edited to add: wow, I'm dumb, it's just a brand of chocolate)

Edited by Rose M

I think all this older siblings naming babies is funny.

When I was a teenager, my mom was having my youngest sister, which was horrifying enough when you’re 16. Then she was insistent on naming the baby Olivia. I thought Olivia was a terrible, ugly, horribly old fashioned name, and eventually I prevailed and the baby was named something else(a truly lovely name, too). The argument went on for months before my sister’s birth though. My poor mom had her heart set on Olivia and I thought it was just an absolutely awful name for a baby.

Fast forward about sixteen years, when I gave birth to my own daughter.

You should have seen the look on my mother’s face when I handed her my Olivia.

I used to know a woman named Cinderella because her older sister got naming rights. I seriously don't understand why the parents didn't exercise veto privileges. She went by Cindy. How would you live that down in school?

• Like 2

All that I think of with Godiva is the Lady Godiva rides :ohmy:.  I don't get the connection with chocolate.

Godiva is definitely associated with chocolate around here. I knew someone who named her daughter "Chanel." I am wondering if she suffered in school.

My MIL's first name is Hildred. Ahe hates it. Her mother was Maoma (Mae-oma).

My own grandmother was Faye. Gr-grandmother was Dora, and another was OraLee (which is a variation of Aurelie, and I think is very pretty).

Edited by Zinnia

And I like Petronella, ever since I read The Miniaturist. It lends itself easily to being Nella or Petra, but it also sounds good with all four syllables. It’s one of those perfect enigmatic names: feeling demur? Use Nella. Funky and modern? Go with Petra. Need to sign a legal document? Nobody screws over a Petronella.

And if you turn out to be a fan of classic SF movies, you can call yourself Tron.

• Like 2

How about Eudora like Eudora Welty?

Hedwig? Edwige? Eglee?

Dolores which means pains in Spanish. I don't understand naming beautiful bouncing baby "pains"

It's a reference to the Virgin Mary (one of her sobriquets is Mother of Sorrows) as are Remedios and Mercedes. Then there are all the different Virgen visions: Guadalupe, Lourdes, Fatima, Loreto, Coromoto, etc. Plus Imaculata and Anunciata for the Immaculate Conception and the Annunciation.

• Like 1

I'm still really undecided about baby names. Awhile back I ran a thread about virtue names but I still don't know about the ones that I have left. I've only got a month left so I need to get cracking! Anyway, I've got a fond affection for really old school names that everyone thinks are gross. Ultrasound says that we're having a girl. So give me your "gross" girl names that badly need revival.

Why would you intentionally give your baby a name that everyone thinks is gross? :confused:

That seems sort of mean.

Aren't you worried that people will make fun of her?

It's a reference to the Virgin Mary (one of her sobriquets is Mother of Sorrows) as are Remedios and Mercedes. Then there are all the different Virgen visions: Guadalupe, Lourdes, Fatima, Loreto, Coromoto, etc. Plus Imaculata and Anunciata for the Immaculate Conception and the Annunciation.

Oh thank you for your explanation. It is then a deeply religious name.

• Like 2

Why would you intentionally give your baby a name that everyone thinks is gross? :confused:

That seems sort of mean.

Aren't you worried that people will make fun of her?

You know, I read variations on this all the time - don't name your kid Alf, the kids will tease him. Don't name him Milo, or Noah. Don't name your girl Myrtle or Gertrude or any other name you like. But don't give those same kids popular names either!

It's all silliness. Unless you name your child something really, really outre, like Hitler or Moon Unit, their peers won't think it's anything strange. Adults listen to these names and think "That's an old lady name" or "That name belongs to a stripper" or "That's a weird name!" or "That's the name of a dumb character from that dumb TV show when I was a kid*", but kids just hear "That's my friend" or maybe "That's that kid I don't like". They don't know which names are "old lady names" (and when they're grown, it is YOUR name that will be an "old lady name") or "stripper names" (another thing which varies from one generation to the next) or "weird names" (ditto), and as for old TV shows - well, have they ever seen those shows? Why would they?

* Can't avoid this. You might give your kid a perfectly normal name and then a TV show or movie airs when they're six or seven and forever more people call them a mermaid or ask where their twin is.

• Like 8

I think kid names all sound lovely after a while of knowing a kid.

But I do have a story -

My husband advised his colleague to not tell anyone his child's name before it was born so they wouldn't criticize it. His colleague was Dutch and named his kid (not kidding) "Rover", which we found pretty bad since it is a stereotypical dog name.

What's worse, we learned later, is that in Dutch, "Rover" means "robber". 

What was he thinking???

ETA: I know an Agnes, Willa, etc and they all are as sweet as the kids after a while.

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

My husband advised his colleague to not tell anyone his child's name before it was born so they wouldn't criticize it. His colleague was Dutch and named his kid (not kidding) "Rover", which we found pretty bad since it is a stereotypical dog name.

What's worse, we learned later, is that in Dutch, "Rover" means "robber".

Well, some people in America give their kids names like "Rebel" or "Renegade" or "Maverick". (Though Maverick is a funny word. Maverick was some dude who didn't want to brand his cattle. That's it!)

My mother knew a girl named Conception. Concepcion is, of course, a normal enough name in Latin America, but when they moved to the US they wanted their first daughter to have an American name. Didn't work out the way they'd figured.

• Like 1

I admit I was shocked when I found out a 7th grader at my school had the middle name Dawn.  It is quite outdated now, but when I was born it was particularly a very common middle name for girls.

I know we have focused on girls names, but a few male names from our family lineage:

Henry

Woodford

Percival

Lilburn

MacArthur

Otis

Roy

Harold

Lloyd

Cecil

Albert

Elmer