Menu

The name Sarah

Elizabeth86

What do you think? Is it a classic? I know its been around for ages, but I often just think of girls from the 70s/80s/90s as that is the Sarahs I know. I know there are 90 yr old Sarahs but I dont know them. Is Sarah too dated? I like names that sound old fashioned. Im just not sure if Sarah fits this exactly.

• Like 1

Agree it's kind of boring, but also classic. I like slightly less common classic names, myself, but it's nothing that will scream "I was born in 1985!" like Brittany or Jason. And even those are classic names with long histories, but things looks dated when they hit over saturation of use. Sarah is in no danger of that in this decade.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We talked about it for baby #3 (who ended up being a Michael, so...).  It's my SIL's name, although she's always gone by Sally.  We decided against Sarah, but it's still high on my list.  We're most likely using Vivienne for this peanut, which complements our Josephine.

My brother would have been a Sarah.

What do you think? Is it a classic? I know its been around for ages, but I often just think of girls from the 70s/80s/90s as that is the Sarahs I know. I know there are 90 yr old Sarahs but I dont know them. Is Sarah too dated? I like names that sound old fashioned. Im just not sure if Sarah fits this exactly.

I'm a 70s Sarah

I've got a Sarah in my 1st grade AWANA class

My kids have had Sarahs here and there in their classes.   Its a Classic.

It was my top girl name pick. Sarah and Rachel. Never got the chance to use either one. Lol

My sister is Rachel.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

Don't worry about other people think. If you like then go with it. My mom wanted to name me Emily. Well grandma thought it was too "old fashioned" so Mom named me Jennifer (in the late 70's, I was always one of crowd in school). I heard the story and my daughter I named Emily... sort of after me. It fit her. I really couldn't have pictured her with another name. 

My niece is 36 and her name is Sarah. 

There's a gal at my church who's 60ish whose name is Sarah.

I know a gal in TX who's in her 40s named Sara. 

And another one I was in youth group with 30+ years ago named Sarah.

I don't think it will ever be "outdated." And I don't find it boring, either. 

Here's the etymology (explanation, study) of it.

Don't worry about other people think. If you like then go with it. My mom wanted to name me Emily. Well grandma thought it was too "old fashioned" so Mom named me Jennifer (in the late 70's, I was always one of crowd in school). I heard the story and my daughter I named Emily... sort of after me. It fit her. I really couldn't have pictured her with another name. 

I remember the Jennifers when I was in school. Now -- it seems to be Abigail.  Our FIL browbeat us because he wanted us to name her Abigail Ruth instead of Ruth ABigail. But she's always been the only Ruth in her classes and there has ALWAYS been another ABigail -- school and church. And sometimes there is both a "Abigail" and a "Abby"

I'm a 70s Sarah

I've got a Sarah in my 1st grade AWANA class

My kids have had Sarahs here and there in their classes. Its a Classic.

My sister is Rachel.

I'm also a Sara with a sister Rachel. It was a very common sibling pairing growing up.

I still know several young Sarah's. At this point, I think it's just a class name.

• Like 1

I know a number of women named Sarah in the 75+ age category.  I can't think of anyone I know in the 40-70 age category named Sarah.  But, I know a lot of people named Sarah who are 30 or younger.  When one of my friends named her daughter Sarah a little over 25 years ago, it seemed like a quaint, old-fashioned name--but all of a sudden there were a lot of Sarahs 

Well, I don't think it's boring at all! I think it's a great name. I don't think it will ever be dated. 

Not that I'm biased or anything.

I have always loved my name. Though, when I was a teen I wished that it shortened to something cool. I was jealous of kids with nicknames. 

• Like 2

I think it's a nice name but really common were I am. At one stage about a 1/3 of my adult female friends were called Sarah, another 1/3 were Rebecca spelt or shortened various different ways and it would get a bit confusing when referring to people.

Edited by lailasmum

Well, I don't think it's boring at all! I think it's a great name. I don't think it will ever be dated.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

I have always loved my name. Though, when I was a teen I wished that it shortened to something cool. I was jealous of kids with nicknames.

Lol I actually adore nickname-less names.

My family still calls me Beth no matter how many years I ask them not to.

• Like 3

Sara(h) is a lovely, classic, timeless name. I know several of them of every age and stage, but not so many that it was ever a super insanely trendy name. It's like Laura, Katherine, Elizabeth in my opinion, and it goes with everything as a middle name. (Of those four names, two are DD's and mine, and two others are top contenders if DD ever gets her baby sister.).

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1