Menu

The name Sarah

Elizabeth86

Now for the story. I was super stressed when I found out I was pregnant. I just keep thinkinv, we have SO many kids. I was crying a bit one day and my 5 year out of the blue brought me a book to read. Of all things it was the Baby Bible Storybook for boys of all things opened to the page called God's Promise to Abraham and Sarah.

It says

Abraham and Sarah were sad because they didnt have a baby. ( we struggled to get pregnant with our first for years)

God promised Abraham and Sarah a baby boy. In fact, God said they would have as many children as there are stars in the sky!

Sarah laughed because she thought she was too old to have a baby.

God kept His promise and baby Isaac was born. God can do anything.

Those simple words seemed so sweet to me. Reminded me of the sadness I felt without babies and the part about the stars in the sky made me laugh because I just kept saying over and over we have so Many babies

I have always loved Isaac and I shared with dh and he agreed only if the girl would be Sarah.

• Like 7

I love the name, Sarah. It's my aunt's name. :wub:

We pronounce my aunt's name as "Say Ruh" though.

That's how my relatives on my dad's side from a rural area on the border of NC/SC and my dad say my daughter's name (well, he does half the time, half the time it's a more regular pronunciation). Similarly, I'm "Kay-wren" to them. At home and in my husband's family, it's "Serr-ah."

My grandmother on the other side always said an "er" for an ending "a" ("Almer" for her friend Alma, "High-war-yer" for Hawaii, "Acklanter" for Atlanta, etc), so I wonder how she'd've (is that a legit contraction for writing? Hmm, I say it all the time) said it. "Say-rer," maybe?

We're all in about the same 100 square miles of the border of NC/SC. I think the difference is more urban vs rural, with the urban having a much, much higher concentration of transplants from other areas to help modify the accent somewhat. We're also in the Piedmont rather than the mountains, as the mountains definitely have a different accent. I have an aunt from the NC mountains, but I can't remember at the moment how she has said Sarah. Probably more like the "Say-ruh," since she's my dad's brother's wife, so there's a mixing there of the two accents (NC mountain and rural Piedmont NC/SC).

Edited by KarenNC

it's a classic name.   I love it. dh had a girlfriend named sarah, so he wouldn't let me name either of our daughters sarah.

I just babysat an amelia.  to me, that is a very old-fashioned name.  she just turned six months.

I have a Sarah, Amelia, and Abigail.  I'm a big fan of traditional/classic names nothing trendy for me when it comes to naming my kids. Each of my kids was named after an older relative so they are also family names for us.

• Like 5

I have a Sarah, Amelia, and Abigail.  I'm a big fan of traditional/classic names nothing trendy for me when it comes to naming my kids. Each of my kids was named after an older relative so they are also family names for us.

My kids also have classic names.  indicationsare amelia is coming back - otherwise, she won't have to deal with having three other girls in her class with the same name!

I have a Sarah, Amelia, and Abigail. I'm a big fan of traditional/classic names nothing trendy for me when it comes to naming my kids. Each of my kids was named after an older relative so they are also family names for us.

Love your naming style. All names I love. I have known a number of girls with the name Amelia. It is so pretty!

It's so funny to me when people say they love Violet.  My first I named Violet, and while she was IN THE NICU the neonatologist said to me "Violet?  You named her VIOLET?  I guess it's okay if you call her Vi or something."  So that was literally like the my first observation of someone's reaction upon learning her name.  That's not even close to the worst thing that happened during that birth, so it doesn't really rile me up anymore, but there it is.

It's so funny to me when people say they love Violet. My first I named Violet, and while she was IN THE NICU the neonatologist said to me "Violet? You named her VIOLET? I guess it's okay if you call her Vi or something." So that was literally like the my first observation of someone's reaction upon learning her name. That's not even close to the worst thing that happened during that birth, so it doesn't really rile me up anymore, but there it is.

How rude! Well as you know I am in love with the name.

I have a Sarah, Amelia, and Abigail. I'm a big fan of traditional/classic names nothing trendy for me when it comes to naming my kids. Each of my kids was named after an older relative so they are also family names for us.

I also have a Sarah and an Amelia! Although she has been Mia since early days. Our last name sounds Italian and Mia (blank)-o has a nice ring.

My first four are Meg, Jenna, Emily, and Sarah. The midwife said they sounded like Little Women. I'm a liberal feminist totally enamoured of classic names and architecture :)

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

I'm an almost 40 year old Sara Jane, and I've always liked my name. DD 1 is an almost 15 year old Sarah Elizabeth (goes by her middle name), named after a great, great grandmother. There's at least 2 Sarah's in every generation of our family line going back years and years. Pretty classic, I'd say!

• Like 1

I know a number of women named Sarah in the 75+ age category.  I can't think of anyone I know in the 40-70 age category named Sarah.  But, I know a lot of people named Sarah who are 30 or younger.  When one of my friends named her daughter Sarah a little over 25 years ago, it seemed like a quaint, old-fashioned name--but all of a sudden there were a lot of Sarahs 

I'm 44 and I had several friends named Sarah my age growing up and know a couple in my age range now.

I say classic.  It was one we considered for dd18.. During the pregnancy, I figured out it was more common in our area than I realized, so I didn't use it.  (my name isn't Jennifer, but rivals it for commonality)

My guess, is that you will find it most common within church groups. DSs name is that way  It is not very common at all, for his age group in the general population.  But at church, there are 3 other boys with the same name. His name is a Hebrew/ biblical name, but not a common one.  

Edited by Tap