Menu

What dishes do you recommend for every day use?

Night Elf

Right now we have a Correlle set. It's starting to get some brown spots around the edges of the plates and bowls, sort of looking like rust spots but they can't be scrubbed off. Also, the bowls have nicks in them. We've had this set for years so maybe it's just time to replace it? I was looking at more Correlle but it seems it's either a service for 4 or for 6. I have a service for 8 right now so I must have purchased two sets at one time. These sets are more expensive than I remember though.

I like how light weight they are. I do not want bulky heavy dishes. I also like simple patterns. My Correlle is a country pattern with just a simple line of blue flowers around the edges of the large plates, and coffee cups that match that blue. 

I need large dinner plates, dessert or bread/butter size plates, and deep bowls and cereal bowls. I do not need anymore cups.

Recommendations?

• Like 2

Corelle. Other dishes chip, break and take up too much space. I don't need that problem. I had a similar problem because I did not need as many mugs as I need dinnerware, but Corelle is the only company I know of that meets my other requirements, so I gave away some of the excess mugs. I bought mine online because I specifically wanted: dinner plates, salad plates (not that I use them for salad), shallow bowls (because they fit in the DW), and mugs (not tea cups and saucers). So. Found one in a pattern I liked and bought 4 sets. I like them because they last for a very long time, wash up just great and look nice. Plus, they are thin in the cabinet and in the DW.

• Like 8

The Ikea OFTAST set of plates and bowls is white, tempered glass, light weight and very affordable. It feels just like Corelle's plain white set. 

Ditto. That's what we have. We ate off plastic forever because of the kids but I was so sick of it. I got twelve of everything so if a couple break it's NBD.

So do none of you with Correlle have the same problem I do? What looks like small rust spots on the sides of my plates and nicks in the rim of the bowls.

I've honestly never had that happen. I have standard winter white and haven't had issues in ten years of heavy use. We get the rare chip or someone drops it and it explodes in a shower of shattery shards, but other than that they've remained cosmetically perfect.

I've honestly never had that happen. I have standard winter white and haven't had issues in ten years of heavy use. We get the rare chip or someone drops it and it explodes in a shower of shattery shards, but other than that they've remained cosmetically perfect.

Oh yes! When Corelle breaks, it is SPECTACULAR!

I also need to get some new dishes. 23+ years on the wedding set. I think a few might have some weird stains, but that could be from people soaking my dang cast iron pans in the sink on top of the dishes :rolleyes:

• Like 3

These are expensive, but open stock so they can be added to as needed. I've never had one chip or show ugly knife marks, good for both everyday and special occasions. They've had these forever, so little chance of discontinuation. https://m.crateandbarrel.com/dinnerware-collections/roulette-dinnerware/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My basic Corelle has those odd brown spots on the edges of the dinner plate too. I googled it - seems the sharp edges of our beloved plates can over time nick into the plastic or whatever coats the rack of our dishwasher, and then rust from the metal underneath the plastic rack gets on our plates.  Or so google says.

One of many sites citing this:

https://www.hunker.com/13423671/why-are-there-rust-spots-on-my-corelle-dishes-from-the-dishwasher

so now we know. :-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Try an SOS pad for the stains if you are going to replace them anyways. Sos cleans glass baking dishes to look new again. I don't know what it will do to Corelle or especially the flower border so be careful there.

If like Corelle, maybe check the thrift store. It seems like something you might find there.

• Like 1

I have had Correlle for all my married life. 42 years. We are on our second set, mostly because I got tired of the original white and bought the white swirl set.

I have had marks form but I believe they were from my dishwasher where the plastic coating was missing from the racks. A new dishwasher and I don't have them anymore.

Mr clean sponge should take care of the spots, or try bar keepers friend liquid.

I do have a couple plates that chipped but never bowls.

I like that I can have servings for 12-16 in a very small space in my cabinet. Arthritic hands are much happier with lightweight dinnerware.

I have solid white but I dress it up with colorful napkins and colorful serving pieces.

• Like 2

I guess my house is the odd house out here.  I have some Blue Willow dishes originally acquired to be our every day dishes, but over the years those have become our "special" dishes and our every day stuff is melamine.  Even now, when both of our kids are teens and we rarely have a younger child in the house, we use plastic dishes for everyday.  

Our collection of melamine has come from various sources.  Some of the nicer stuff has come from Target (which offered not only "pretty" dishes but dishes boys and men would buy themselves), some from Ikea, some from other places.  We also have some old plasticware (non-melamine) from Ikea that we bought when the kids were just babes or toddlers, and those are still going strong.

I have found that having inexpensive "pool ware" as our daily dishes has been cheaper and more enjoyable in the long run, since we worry less about breakage if someone drops something on the tiled floor, or dishes knock together being loaded or unloaded from the dishwasher, or similar mishaps.  The plastic doesn't break as often as ceramic dishes, doesn't chip as much, and if we ever tire of plastic dishes it will be easy to give away (people will want them, if only for pool-side or dorm use, AND we won't feel we are giving away stuff that cost us $$).

• Like 1

My 10 year old Corelle (12 place settings, 3 sets of 4) is literally in out-of-the-box-brand-new shape, despite getting very heavy use all these years as our go-to-daily dishes. Probably use most pieces (plates, bowls) at least once a day, if not twice, on average, so many thousands of uses so far. Kids, teens, grandma, housekeepers . . . all have washed/abused/dropped stuff . . . Not one chip, break, scratch, or anything, ever. This stuff is incredible, lol.

The lightweight thing is awesome, especially if you have older folks with arthritis/etc handling the dishes. Love the thinness for fitting in the dishwasher, etc, too. 

I love it. Only downside is that there's no excuse for new dishes, ever. So, choose a pattern you can be happy with for a very long time, lol.

Note, I bought a set of 4 of some other (cheap) Corelle pattern for my college freshman for the dorm, and the plates were noticeably smaller than the set I have. Not a problem for college boy, but for me, that'd have been a deal breaker. So, double check measurements before purchase and/or buy it from a source where returns are free or very cheap.

For *me*, if I were starting over, I might go with FiestaWare for my regular table setting, just because it is so beautiful. I have way too many sets of very nice dishes as it is (had 3 good sets myself, then inherited 2 more from my mom), so I have resisted the lure for myself (although I did get my college girl a huge set of it when she moved in to her first house). But, honestly, if I were setting up a new household, I'd probably get a huge set of multi-colored Fiestaware . . . and also a good set of Corelle . . . as my go-to dishes. 

I'm currently auditioning Corelle and the plain white Threshold from Target. So far with the Corelle, I've just bought bowls and salad plates--which we generally use as dinner plates--on clearance from Kroger. I really like how they fit in my dishwasher. My other bowls take up a little more space so I can fit fewer of those in. I also like the open stock Threshold plates from Target. They're a bit heavier and so far I only have 6 dessert plates, but I like the look and feel of them.

My 19 year old Corelle still looks good. I have had some of it break over the years (not chip but actually break), but I had a lot, full service for twelve (four sizes of plate, bowl, cup, multiple serving bowls and platters). Mine is white with blue flowers, either on the center or the edges depending on the size of the plate. It's pretty, but I'm a little tired of it. When I needed more lunch plates and bowls, I went with white Correlle, and I really like that a lot. It has such a simple classic look.

I also have several custom handmade plates and platters (and a bunch of other pieces like mugs and utensil crock and the cutest little salsa bowl and even candleholders with Nate's name on them) from my favorite local potter. I loooove his stuff and pick out a new piece or two every year. But many of my kids are little still, and the plates are heavy, so we save them for special occasions like Thanksgiving and date nights. OP, if you don't have little kids any more, maybe something like that is a collection you can start to build.

We use Corelle.  I have RA and really couldn't handle heavier dishes (and broke almost all of the old ones long ago because of my RA), I think since I have gotten Correlle ones- and I have had to replace and replenish some too- I believe I have only broken one so they really hold up well for us. 

I have RA, too, and we had to switch to Corelle.  I didn't buy complete sets.  I have about 10 plates, a couple of cereal bowls and quite a few serving bowls.  I didn't like them* when I bought them, but I do like how functional and lightweight they are.

*I didn't like them because I really liked my old dishes and I was kinda mad that RA was taking something else away from me.

We used Corelle, plain white, for 18 years of our marriage.  I finally switched to Fiesta.  It sounds like those won't work for you, as they are heavy and bulky, but I puffy heart love them.

We have a local lady who goes to the Fiestaware warehouse sales up at the factory, brings back and travel trailer full of them, and sells them out of her back shed.  They are still WAY cheaper than I can even find on sale and I can pick and choose exactly what I want instead of getting  a set with pieces I won't use.

Durable

Nice looking

Colorful

Can even cook on them!

• Like 1

Mostly FiestaWare now-- LOVE the colors...I've been collecting pieces/settings the past 2 years--just a few pieces left on my wish list.

We also have Corelle bowls (LOVE the pasta bowls) Walmart sells individual Corelle pieces in common patterns.

We used a set of Lennox stoneware (wedding gift) for 30 years and recently passed them on to one of our big girls.

• Like 2

We have some very inexpensive dishes that have lasted almost 22 years. The first set, I bought before I moved here, to have some basic things in place, when I arrived, like beds to sleep on,  and before my stuff came from TX (truck to Miami and then in a cargo jet) and got through Customs.  I am not kidding you, I think I paid about USD $10 for a set for 4 people.  That was mostly White with some Blue.  Then, we saw a color we like better, White with some brown and green, same company, and bought 2 sets of that.With one exception, the coffee cups have not survived, but most of the dishes are intact and perfect.   I am the official "Dishwasher" and think it is remarkable how long those dishes have lasted. We gave the Blue dishes to my MIL many years ago.  I think one might spend far more money and not have them last as long?

ETA: I went into the Kitchen to check those dishes. On the bottom, in a fancy Font, it says "Fine Porcelain".  It also says "Made in China".  They were in boxes in a large supermarket chain here. I suspect the supermarket chain was the importer.   7 of the 8 dishes have survived, but only one of the coffee cups survived.   I wish other things we have purchased would have served so well, for so long. I don't think there are any chips or stains on any of them.  

Edited by Lanny

Mostly FiestaWare now-- LOVE the colors...I've been collecting pieces/settings the past 2 years--just a few pieces left on my wish list.

We also have Corelle bowls (LOVE the pasta bowls) Walmart sells individual Corelle pieces in common patterns.

We used a set of Lennox stoneware (wedding gift) for 30 years and recently passed them on to one of our big girls.

Yes!  The pasta bowls.  These might be the most useful dishes in the house.

I do have a few FiestaWare serving dishes.  They are really too heavy for me to use, but since I have three teenagers now, I never do dishes.  And they are prettier than Corelle, imo.

Edited by Junie

We have some very inexpensive dishes that have lasted almost 22 years. The first set, I bought before I moved here, to have some basic things in place, when I arrived, like beds to sleep on, and before my stuff came from TX (truck to Miami and then in a cargo jet) and got through Customs. I am not kidding you, I think I paid about USD $10 for a set for 4 people. That was mostly White with some Blue. Then, we saw a color we like better, White with some brown and green, same company, and bought 2 sets of that.With one exception, the coffee cups have not survived, but most of the dishes are intact and perfect. I am the official "Dishwasher" and think it is remarkable how long those dishes have lasted. We gave the Blue dishes to my MIL many years ago. I think one might spend far more money and not have them last as long?

ETA: I went into the Kitchen to check those dishes. On the bottom, in a fancy Font, it says "Fine Porcelain". It also says "Made in China". They were in boxes in a large supermarket chain here. I suspect the supermarket chain was the importer. 7 of the 8 dishes have survived, but only one of the coffee cups survived. I wish other things we have purchased would have served so well, for so long. I don't think there are any chips or stains on any of them.

Good porcelain is pretty much chip and mark resistant. It's worth the money imo after being frustrated with every stoneware dinnerware I've tried or seen used.

• Like 1

I have had the little brown spots on a plate or bowl rim once in a while, but it doesn't bother me. It's enough for me that they last for ages and meet all my other requirements.

I have Correlle too, but they do the job for me.  Before then, we bought a set of old china from a thrift store.  It was a very pretty, old-fashioned pattern, and we used them for years until so many pieces had broken that we didn't have enough.  :)  It was fun to use a "fancy" set for every day.

My dd is collecting Fiestaware for her every day dishes, though they're a little pricier.  However, several times/year they're half off at department stores, and that's when we get them.  (I'll sometimes pick up a piece for them for their anniversary, etc.)  They're very colorful!

So do none of you with Correlle have the same problem I do? What looks like small rust spots on the sides of my plates and nicks in the rim of the bowls.

Yes, I have this problem. From the Corning Museum of Glass site:

"Please be advised that we have recently learned that abrasive automatic dishwasher detergents can cause damage to Corelleware and cause the dinnerware to become weak. Over time the dinnerware may become rough or chipped along the edges. The finish may wear off and the pattern/color may fade. If items are dropped or bumped/banged damage may occur because the dinnerware is weak. We recommend using less abrasive automatic dishwashing detergents such as Palmolive, Sunlight, or a store brand."

When the edges become chipped, they become more porous and more likely to stain. 

Mine are so chipped after many years of use that I'm planning to get a new set. I've always just had white, but I'm going to be wild and crazy and buy a pattern this time.  :) I'm going to try using liquid detergent instead of powdered. I think that should be less abrasive?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Before I do anything, I'm going to check Walmart tomorrow to see if they still sell my pattern. I once broke one plate and Walmart had the pattern so I could replace it. I just checked my set. I need 7 dinner plates and 2 cereal bowls. I'd hate to buy a new set if there are only pieces I need.

I looked at Fiestaware online and it looks heavy.

I looked at the Ikea Oftast but can't tell much about it from the picture. I wish I had an Ikea near me so I could go see it.

I've had IKEA 365+ series for 6 years now. I like bowls of all sizes and they have plenty. Mine are all white. One particular type was discontinued but they had one similar enough that you can hardly tell that they don't come from the same series.

They will break when dropped. I don't have young kids in the house anymore but between dh and me, we manage to still break the occasional dish in the porcelain sink.

These are expensive, but open stock so they can be added to as needed. I've never had one chip or show ugly knife marks, good for both everyday and special occasions. They've had these forever, so little chance of discontinuation. https://m.crateandbarrel.com/dinnerware-collections/roulette-dinnerware/

My basic kitchen china is C&B Aspen, whicks very similar to your pattern, but less expensive. I love open stock. My weekend breakfast China is M.A. Hadley, which always makes me feel cheerful, but it is very heavy.

http://hadleypottery.com/shop-by-pattern/country

I guess my house is the odd house out here. I have some Blue Willow dishes originally acquired to be our every day dishes, but over the years those have become our "special" dishes and our every day stuff is melamine. Even now, when both of our kids are teens and we rarely have a younger child in the house, we use plastic dishes for everyday.

Not so odd. I have a set of old blue and white Spode Italian that was my parents' kitchen set. (The only China is quite different, much richer colors.) I love blue and white, so classic, peaceful.

http://www.spode.com/collections/blue-italian.html

Yes, I get those from my dishwasher. I use those dark green scratchy scrungies. I am careful just to rub the rust spot only using an edge of the scrungy. I have been doing that for years on my same set. 

Corelle here. I have bleached those spots.

I had 3 sets, 2 matching & 1 different. A few pieces got broke through the years so I started checking goodwill and yard sales for pieces.

No they don't match but that doesn't bother us. I only needed plates or bowls so no sense in buying a complete set.

I have seen some corelle sets at grocery stores for cheaper than at walmart

I have Pfaltzgraff in Yorktowne. Oldest has Pfaltzgraff Naturewood. Next one has Tea Rose. Next one has Fiestaware. And the youngest has Currier & Ives Old Grist Mill, but of course isn't using it at military college. Ds probably has plastic WalMart.  :lol:

I used to have Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne!

SaveSave

Before I do anything, I'm going to check Walmart tomorrow to see if they still sell my pattern. I once broke one plate and Walmart had the pattern so I could replace it. I just checked my set. I need 7 dinner plates and 2 cereal bowls. I'd hate to buy a new set if there are only pieces I need.

I looked at Fiestaware online and it looks heavy.

I looked at the Ikea Oftast but can't tell much about it from the picture. I wish I had an Ikea near me so I could go see it.

Amazon has some.  The white plates that i got as replacements to augment my set were something like $3.50 each at WalMart but in a 6-pack, it worked out to like $2.50 each, so check to see if a 6-pack from Amazon might be available.

Amazon has some.  The white plates that i got as replacements to augment my set were something like $3.50 each at WalMart but in a 6-pack, it worked out to like $2.50 each, so check to see if a 6-pack from Amazon might be available.

The cheapest I can find on Amazon for 6 plates is $28.49. That's $4.75 per plate. That seems high.

I like the Cost Plus World Market white dishes.

They are open stock, and on the light side compared to stoneware.

You can always find the basic white stuff there, and then accessorize with interesting pieces from elsewhere.  Since my dad used to do ceramics, and we have a lot of unmatched but precious to us serving pieces, it's good to have a neutral white set of basics.

I can't stand the feel of Corelle; the sound it makes when a fork scrapes it.  Shivers.  We got a nice plain white set of not-heavy (but not Corelle-light) dishes that were (and are!) relatively expensive, BUT in over 25 years, we have broken 1 bowl.  I still have a complete service for 12.  Yes, granite counter tops,  concrete floors and all.  One bowl has a little chip on the bottom.  

These dishes remind me a LOT of what I see at IKEA, Pier One, and so on, and if I had to replace them, that is where I would look.  I wouldn't spend this money again, but overall, 25 years of service, the only dishes we have (no china), it's not bad.  

Come to think of it, I did buy a new set of dishes when we got sick of plastic at our beach house.  I watched sales at Sur la Table, and got a set I liked better than the set I have at home, which I like just fine.  Like you, we wanted an odd set-size (they sell them in 6's, we needed 8).  I got two sets of 6, culled out 4 sets and set them aside to give my son when he leaves home.  The set of 8, I gave to a goddaughter when she got married.  These were of good quality but just...on sale.  And I liked the shape of the cups and bowls; bowls have to stack well in the dishwasher or they are not coming into my house.  :0)