Menu

What age did your child get a phone?

mommyoffive

Older kids....8th grade and high school.

DD10 has one now, but it is due to her disabilities and needing it for legitimate reasons. It is also my old phone (so free) and only costs us $10 per month, so that is a huge factor. 

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of my kids have cellphones. I didn't get one until I was 20 years old, and it didn't hurt me a bit. I hate seeing kids with cell phones, especially 5, 6 year old kids. Why the hell do they need a cell phone? My seven year old wouldn't know how to call anyone on it. I don't plan on getting my daughter a cell phone until she starts driving and it will be a dumb phone.

Well, my ds was 4 when we got him his first cell phone, and the reason was because we travel a lot and we also spend a lot of time in Manhattan, so I wanted to be sure that if we accidentally got separated, ds could call us and let us know where he was. Fortunately, that never happened, but I don't regret getting him a phone.

• Like 3

We got a basic Tracfone for DD at 12. She has 100 minutes a month for talk or text, so she's not really supposed to use it for more than emergencies/contacting me. I wanted her to have it because we don't have a landline, and because I sometimes leave her places without me. She's 15, and it's still working fine. She hasn't lost it, and since it has an MP3 player built in, she tends to keep it charged most of the time. I might switch her to a smartphone at some point in the near future, but it'll depend on what the prices are.

ETA: She claims all of her friends have smartphones or small tablets. I'm not sure this is entirely true, but I know many of them do have them. She has a laptop and the simple phone, and I think she might enjoy having something in between the two. She chat-texts with her friends via her laptop, but I can see why a phone or tablet would actually be less distracting for short messages throughout the day, rather than getting her laptop out. (I'm the same way; phone is quick and easy.)

Edited by happypamama

My kids get their phones when they get their license -- at 17. And it is a dumb phone. We will probably get the youngest a smart phone when she goes off to college. All the others had dumb phones in college -- but they are much older and smartphones were not around. 

None of my kids have cellphones. I didn't get one until I was 20 years old, and it didn't hurt me a bit. I hate seeing kids with cell phones, especially 5, 6 year old kids. Why the hell do they need a cell phone? My seven year old wouldn't know how to call anyone on it. I don't plan on getting my daughter a cell phone until she starts driving and it will be a dumb phone.

I am one of the parents whose 6yr old has a phone (well he is 7 now). We got our 10, 8, and 6 yr olds phones before we went to Europe a few months ago. For one thing the phones were free and it didn't cost anything to add to our plan. We probably wouldn't have paid for them. But, so far I love that they have them. I didn't worry as much that we would get separated. I knew that they could all call or text me (even the 6yr old). And I love how they are able to keep in contact with family all over the world for free.

We are home from Europe now and I like that they can get ahold of me when they are dropped off places. My kids have no social media, but can use FaceTime, texting, and google hangouts to talk with people in their contacts list. For my 7yr old that is his cousin and two grandmas.

I think like lots of parenting decisions, everyone just needs to do what works for their families. Honestly a few years ago I would have been shocked to see such little kids with phones, but I am liking how it is working out for us so far.

I do think the average age is around 10. Almost all of my oldest ds's friends have a phone. It seems like they all got them once they started staying home alone.

• Like 4

We gave our dc iPhones when they started public school in middle school, so they were both 11. I'm glad we did since oldest was left behind on a school band overnight to Disney World in 7th grade. He used his phone to call another student on the bus to tell them he was left in the park (he had been in the bathroom) and he was heading their way. It was the day they were heading back home so he could have been left alone for a while. Thankfully, it all worked out. I like that they can get in touch with us whenever they need. They rarely need to use it in an emergency situation but I'm glad it's an option. I don't feel either of them over use their phones at home as they're too busy with friends, school work, and just doing other stuff. 

• Like 1

you seem a little angry.  can I get you a glass of wine?

• Like 6

Really? She doesn't know how to use a cell to call 911 in an emergency? That seems a bit unwise nowadays, with pay phones gone and landlines on their way out.

• Like 3

Really? She doesn't know how to use a cell to call 911 in an emergency? That seems a bit unwise nowadays, with pay phones gone and landlines on their way out.

I was wondering about that, as well.

I would think that most average 7 year-olds know how to use a telephone and know their home phone number and at least one other person's number so they can call them in case of an emergency. And as you said, it's important to know how to use a cell to call 911.

• Like 2

At our house it isn't an age-related decision, but one based on distance. When my dc are away from me, but still depending on me for transportation, I want them to be able to call without having to borrow someone else's phone. Dc#1 started using one of our old phones at 14, dc#2 at 13, and dc#3 at 11.

This.

But also we pay for it. (The phone and other costs) As long as she is not allowed to work.

It is a dump phone.

If she wants something fancier then we provide, she has to pay for it.

• Like 1

dd got a dumb phone at 11. none of her friends have one, she wasted all her credit on messaging her grandmother and it wasn't healthy. We took it away. She's 12 now and she still doesn't have it. And still none of her friends have phones. She emails her friends. No particular rush here. No smartphone until she can pay for it herself.

eta- she has her own Samsung tablet though...

Edited by LMD

Long story short: Approximate ages at which our children got smartphones: 16, 16, 16, 16, 15, 15, and 13, with DS13 having his own number now but WiFi calling only for now.

We do not have a landline, so we purchased a smartphone for DS27 a year or so before he went to college so we would always have a phone at home. That phone was normally attached via Bluetooth to a box which rings all the home phones. Whenever he would go out, he would take that phone with him.

Since then, the plan has been pretty simple: As children go off to college, they take their phone (and number) with them and the next oldest then gets a smartphone that is normally connected to the house phones. Then the cycle repeats as children leave.

That was true until now. Two things are different now: DS17 is leaving for college at an older age than normal and the twins are only a year behind him in school. They are 15 now and youngest turns 13 today. Since DS17, DD15 and DS15 will all be travelling simultaneously in the spring, we decided they should all get their own numbers now. DS13 got a smartphone and telephone number that works on WiFi only (except 911 calls) a little over a month ago. DS15 got his smartphone and telephone number a couple of weeks ago and DD15 will get her smartphone and telephone number in the near future (long story!). Only DS17 is allowed to have his smartphone in his room at this time.

Once I finish getting DD15's smartphone and telephone number set up, we will have 11 telephone numbers and 11 smartphones on our plan. The monthly cost is $160 plus taxes and fees, which comes to just under $200/month.

Yes, he knows how to dial 911 on a landline, because we have one. But he doesn't use my cell phone to call or text anyone. I'm not angry, not at all! But I just don't understand why such young kids need cellphones. It starts such a lifetime habit of always needing to check it, look at something on the internet, and text people. I just think kids should kids. And that just my opinion. I know I'm in the minority. But my young kids are never away from me or their dad or grandparents where they "need" a phone to call me. So maybe that's the difference?

• Like 6

DS 8 doesn't have one yet, but a lot of kids in public school here do already. If DS had stayed in public school he'd have a dumb phone too. He took the bus and multiple times it'd be late (like 30-60 min), one time he was supposed to be picked up but he was on the bus instead, etc. He has coop one day this year that I may drop off instead of stay. If so, I will probably get him a dumb phone. Or maybe a not very smart phone. Idk? I guess I have to research it. :)

Yes, he knows how to dial 911 on a landline, because we have one. But he doesn't use my cell phone to call or text anyone. I'm not angry, not at all! But I just don't understand why such young kids need cellphones. It starts such a lifetime habit of always needing to check it, look at something on the internet, and text people. I just think kids should kids. And that just my opinion. I know I'm in the minority. But my young kids are never away from me or their dad or grandparents where they "need" a phone to call me. So maybe that's the difference?

I agree to an extent. Theoretically, I don't want my kids to have phones.

But, my kids are growing up in a very different world than I did. As in, when I was younger, we grew up in a nice small community. The kids and parents all knew each other and I could name multiple people to use their phones. My relatives picked me up from activities or I had reliable transportation. They stayed during the majority of all activities. When going anyplace I walked to, I did call and check in. I'd check in often.

My neighborhood where my kids are growing up now, there is a lot of transience. It's a large and crowded place where I know probably 1% or less of the people on my street. People more often drop kids off at activities or coop and don't stay behind. Coop is not anywhere close to my home and is in an area I don't trust my DS to be. There are no pay phones anywhere. Even coop is a revolving community that I don't know more than 10-20% of the people.

I try to give DS as much independence as possible because I feel it's important, but the safety net of a personal phone is invaluable and even necessary for some families. Plus they have a GPS to keep track of where they are.

ETA- I quoted you only because your post made me think of things I wanted to say. :)

Edited by displace
  • Like 1

Well ya know though, it's kinda crazy because despite my kids' lack of cell phone use they GET cell phones better than I do.  I just JUST got a smart phone.  First time ever in my life.  I was trying to figure out how to use it and just said to my kids at various times...here...show me how to use this thing.  And they both could show me stuff.  But yet they have very little actual experience with cell phones. :laugh:

• Like 2

Oldest two received iPhones for 7th grade at 12yo. I assume the next kid will be on the same timeline. I love my older kids having their phones.

My younger three have iPods. I group text/chat with all of them. I absolutely love how connected I am to them all, particularly since we are on the go and spread out most of the time.

iPhones allow private text conversation with my teens while they are in the middle of social situations. I have coached them through things in the moment rather than after the fact, and I just love having that extra parenting access. I'm sure I won't use it as much when they are older, but it has been very helpful in the early teen years.

I follow their social media accounts, and I have been able to coach those situations as well. I prefer them to gain new independence while I can coach them (and they are young enough to soak up the coaching) rather than waiting for such independence when they leave the nest.

Just commenting again to say that none of our children are into texting until they go to college. We have four still living at home, each with their own smartphone. None of them texts, including DS17 who has his phone in his room with him. I find myself saying things like "Tke a picture of your _______ and text it to DD24. She would enjoy that," or "Send a text to your brother and tell him about ________."

I'm fine with that.

My oldest got one of those special "kid phones" when he was around 8 or 9. Right after his school bus got into an accident and I wasn't contacted to pick him up at the hospital until more than an hour after it had happened. (He was fine, but the half hour drive to the hospital in traffic was NOT, since they couldn't tell me anything, NOT EVEN THAT HE WAS FINE, until I got there.  And he's on the autism spectrum, so I had zero idea how he was doing, emotionally.)  So, yeah.

My daughters got them around 11/12ish, when I began juggling multiple kids in Little League.

My 10yo just got one for his birthday.  He really doesn't need it, but he desperately wanted one and we had an extra.

My 6yo wants one, but that's even more ridiculous.  I would like to get him a device that would let him message his big brother, since he's the only one who doesn't have that capability.

I'm kind of curious that so many people switched their kids to smartphones after a short while, given the reasons people say they want their kids to have a phone.

Because it is easier to text?

Because there is a GPS on them if they are lost?

Because it can be important to look things up if needed/wanted?

Because paying for a smart phone is often the same as the cost of paying for a dumb phone?

There are so many reasons.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

Ds was about 10, he bought the phone with his own money and we added him to our plan. It was just a phone, although it probably had some online capacities, but smart phones were not as developed back then. 

Would I change it? No. We used it to reach him when needed, he took care of it because 1. he paid for it, and 2. he's never been one to lose things. 

He currently has a smart phone that he's had for about 3-4 years. He's on a pay as you go plan and pay his own bill now. He could upgrade his phone but seems in no hurry to do so. He uses it for online stuff and texting mostly. 

I used to wonder why people texted so often, but it's great. As an introvert who hates talking on the phone, it's great to text. I have a group text of friends and it's like having a group conversation at anytime. If someone wants to do something, we text and see who replies. It really is a nice medium for communication. What takes 3 minutes now used to take several phone calls to accomplish. 

We have found that so, so much social stuff goes on via phone (obviously good and bad) that my extrovert last two felt very left out of the group messages. For us, the good has outweighed the bad in the kids on group message stuff with teammates.

The girls have Snapchat but the boys don't. No Facebook or Instagram either all by their own choice.

Ds3 is late to the smart phone party, but his iPod does everything he needs right now. The one girl who was not allowed a cell phone or device in middle school (on our team) was really isolated from the social life, because so much of it happens online.

The nice thing is that I can occasionally read the group texts, and my kids can show me problems. Also, most of the moms look over messages, so between us we can head off problems.

Smart phones aren't just for kids' social wants. By the time my kids jr high, they use phones just like I use my smart phone.

They use maps and GPS. They use alarm settings and reminders. They research. They take pictures and videos. Their employers and coworkers communicate via group text. Their coaches and teammates send real-time updates via facebook and group text. Their classmates ask questions and discuss via group text and Snapchat.

IME, teens are mini-adults with very similar life tool needs as adults.

• Like 5

You say you're not angry but in your previous post you said you hate seeing young kids with cell phones. Why does it matter to you that other people choose differently? Also, this is the world these kids will grow up in. IMO it does them a disservice to not teach them how to live in their world. To me it's no different than waiting until a child leaves home to teach them how to budget and run a household. However, I don't hate seeing kids who don't have a cell phone. It's none of my business when you give one to your child(ren). It's none of your business when other people give one to theirs.

• Like 1

You say you're not angry but in your previous post you said you hate seeing young kids with cell phones. Why does it matter to you that other people choose differently? Also, this is the world these kids will grow up in. IMO it does them a disservice to not teach them how to live in their world. To me it's no different than waiting until a child leaves home to teach them how to budget and run a household. However, I don't hate seeing kids who don't have a cell phone. It's none of my business when you give one to your child(ren). It's none of your business when other people give one to theirs.

Okay, hate is a strong word. I do not like to see young kids with expensive smart phones playing games, texting and doing social media. It's unnecessary and silly. Everywhere we go small kids have phone, teens and parents are staring at their phones constantly...it's annoying. I just don't understand the generation of kids being brought up. Small kids think they deserve a phone because everyone else has one. Also I don't like that social interactions all occur because of online and social media stuff...if kids can't hang out with their friends and talk and play and go places without phones, that is just silly to me. When my kids friends come over that have phones that is all they do - no board games or giggling, just staring into a phone taking selfies a d editing the crap out of them.

This is my opinion by the way, so no need to criticize my opinion. Yours is different and I'm cool with that.

• Like 5

My oldest got one of those special "kid phones" when he was around 8 or 9. Right after his school bus got into an accident and I wasn't contacted to pick him up at the hospital until more than an hour after it had happened. (He was fine, but the half hour drive to the hospital in traffic was NOT, since they couldn't tell me anything, NOT EVEN THAT HE WAS FINE, until I got there.  And he's on the autism spectrum, so I had zero idea how he was doing, emotionally.)  So, yeah.

Yikes! How awful for you. That must have been a terrible 1/2 hour. 

I have to say that having a phone really hasn't caused any problems for my kids.  They don't use it a lot and it doesn't distract them from other things.  One tends to be a little OCD about charging it and setting the alarm at bedtime, but that's about it.

What annoys me most about my kids and phones is when they borrow people's iphones to play games and then they fight over having a turn etc.  I refuse to let my kids play with my phone, but their aunties allow it, and it always causes drama.  I'd rather my kids have their own and cut the drama.  But that could be my crabby old age showing.  :P

Having their phones has enabled us to talk about things that they need to know, like what can happen if you have a compromising photo or video on your phone.  They have had relatively innocent versions of "bad things" happening, and I hope the experience will help them to be more sensible when it really matters.

• Like 1

As for kids not being able to do kid things, actually there are some things I feel better letting my kids do with a phone.  For example, they can hop on their bikes and ride to locations outside of easy walking distance, because they could call me in case of any problems.  Granted, when I was a kid, I didn't need to be able to call my mom.  My neighborhood was planned better for pedestrians, and you could ask "strangers" for help without worrying about them calling the cops on an "unattended child."  But this is our world today, and a cell phone can provide more age-appropriate independence.

I get what she's saying. We know, with research, how screens and being connected to electronic devices is harmful to young developing brains. So, I think we do kids a disservice by giving them too much time with electronics and screens and starting too young. We know there are differences in how brains develop in children with little screen/electronics time compared to those with lots. 

There are many parents who are responsible for monitoring their kids' screen time, yet there are many more parents who do not monitor. I can't tell people what they should or shouldn't do but that doesn't mean I don't care. I care about a lot of things concerning how kids are growing up. I want every child to be happy, healthy, and be successful. (Naturally, opinions about how that happens are varied.) Unfortunately, we are learning how our current lifestyle can hinder that. On the flip side, some things are for the better, but many things are not. 

Of course, everyone does what fits their family. However, I will say that it bugs me when I see people of all ages doing nothing but staring at phones for such long times. Conversations just can't happen when people pay more attention to phones or tablets. An example is when my ds gets his weekly allergy shots, and we must sit in the lobby with other allergy shot receivers for 30 min. Just about everyone sits there for the whole 30 min on their phones...kids as young as 4 or 5 all the way to adults. There are a few adults who don't do this, and my ds has had some very interesting and lovely conversations with them. One lady loves to talk about books with my ds. A retired football coach likes to talk sports and exercise with him. I love that my ds has these little mini-relationships. He is excited when he sees them in the lobby and looks forward to talking to them. These types of interactions are fewer and fewer and I do believe it is not without cost. Smartphones are a big reason such interactions have decreased and are almost non-existent. Again, phones are beneficial to a point. We just need to learn to balance the benefits to outweigh the negatives. I don't think that happens enough.

The key is being responsible with technology and teaching our kids to be responsible. It's simply harder for kids to be responsible because they have immature brains. The problem is when the adults aren't responsible and help their kids learn to be.

Edited by Mom-ninja.

Because it is easier to text?

Because there is a GPS on them if they are lost?

Because it can be important to look things up if needed/wanted?

Because paying for a smart phone is often the same as the cost of paying for a dumb phone?

There are so many reasons.

Maybe.  Many people seem to be saying the reason they got them was to contact at places like events or activities where there are no other phones for public use.  Or for emergencies.  Only the lost part really seems potentially related but I think it's overkill in most cases - I dislike the idea of tracking a kid under normal circumstances.  I'm not even crazy about the idea of relying on GPS maps when you get lost, which is perhaps a holdover from my army days.

Most people we know get cell phones for their kids in middle school.

Most homeschoolers we know who do cell phones for kids get cell phones for the kids when they start doing outside activities without parents often enough that it's most convenient to communicate by text/call.

My kids...

Dd1 was 14.

Dd2, 9, her dad (my first husband) got it for her.

Ds1, 14

Ds2, 14

Ds3 does not have a cell phone yet.

I get what she's saying. We know, with research, how screens and being connected to electronic devices is harmful to young developing brains. So, I think we do kids a disservice by giving them too much time with electronics and screens and starting too young. We know there are differences in how brains develop in children with little screen/electronics time compared to those with lots. 

There are many parents who are responsible for monitoring their kids' screen time, yet there are many more parents who do not monitor. I can't tell people what they should or shouldn't do but that doesn't mean I don't care. I care about a lot of things concerning how kids are growing up. I want every child to be happy, healthy, and be successful. (Naturally, opinions about how that happens are varied.) Unfortunately, we are learning how our current lifestyle can hinder that. On the flip side, some things are for the better, but many things are not. 

Of course, everyone does what fits their family. However, I will say that it bugs me when I see people of all ages doing nothing but staring at phones for such long times. Conversations just can't happen when people pay more attention to phones or tablets. An example is when my ds gets his weekly allergy shots, and we must sit in the lobby with other allergy shot receivers for 30 min. Just about everyone sits there for the whole 30 min on their phones...kids as young as 4 or 5 all the way to adults. There are a few adults who don't do this, and my ds has had some very interesting and lovely conversations with them. One lady loves to talk about books with my ds. A retired football coach likes to talk sports and exercise with him. I love that my ds has these little mini-relationships. He is excited when he sees them in the lobby and looks forward to talking to them. These types of interactions are fewer and fewer and I do believe it is not without cost. Smartphones are a big reason such interactions have decreased and are almost non-existent. Again, phones are beneficial to a point. We just need to learn to balance the benefits to outweigh the negatives. I don't think that happens enough.

The key is being responsible with technology and teaching our kids to be responsible. It's simply harder for kids to be responsible because they have immature brains. The problem is when the adults aren't responsible and help their kids learn to be.

This is my general feeling - screens, and most especially interactive screens, need to be managed.

As soon as you add a smartphone that the kid can use wherever they go, you just up the potential for time spent on a screen.  Suddenly, it's not only the easy choice at home if you are bored, it is the easy choice out with your friends, or waiting at the bank, or whatever.  When before these were times you could be pretty sure were screen-free time.  Now it may be a negotiation or rule setting to make sure that is limited.  It becomes an effort, for the parent and the kid.

It reminds me a bit of the article I posted about laptops in university classes - they found that the kids that had a laptop spent about 40 min out of every 100 doing non-academic things on it.  In addition, they also spent about 27 min texting in that time.  That is solidly over half the time they feel compelled or are drawn to the screen, even though the students knew how much time they were spending and that it was negatively affecting their results.  And it was most of the students that had trouble with this, not just a few.

I would have to really feel the advantages, of the smartphone in particular, outweighed the potential downsides.

• Like 2

Yes, those phone maps can be wrong, as we are finding out.  I'd much rather use paper maps, but they're so hard to find now.  We can find the atlases and all, but a simple map of a single state or area with all the details?  Hit and miss.

For kids who aren't driving, mostly a town or city map is going to be what you want.  I'd consider ordering one and laminating it to put in a pocket or bag.

But, it's even ok, if you look up the map online at home for a place you are unfamiliar with - at least them you have a chance to look over where you are going, notice if there is anything odd, and so on. 

It's really the looking ahead and planning I think is often ignored because it is so easy to bring up a map on google. And I don't think it is really as effective at teaching map reading. 

ETA - also, look where tourists go to find maps.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 3

Well, our kids are older (born in years 1988 - 1995), so when our ds was in high school, for example, smartphones probably hadn't been invented yet and and it was the rare kid who had a flip phone.  

But, I believe our oldest three kids were ages 18, 17, and 16, when we got two flip phones -- one for me, and the other for all three of them to share.  (That was in 2007.)

They each bought their own smartphones when they could afford it themselves and it was important enough to them, which was around age 23/24, really just in the last few years. 

The younger two grew up more in the cell phone age, and they each had a flip phone starting at around age 15.  They got smartphones at around age 21, when they could afford to pay for at least part of it themselves. 

It's different though today, for sure!  I'm not sure what age I'd allow it if I were a parent of young children today.

Okay, hate is a strong word. I do not like to see young kids with expensive smart phones playing games, texting and doing social media. It's unnecessary and silly. Everywhere we go small kids have phone, teens and parents are staring at their phones constantly...it's annoying. I just don't understand the generation of kids being brought up. Small kids think they deserve a phone because everyone else has one. Also I don't like that social interactions all occur because of online and social media stuff...if kids can't hang out with their friends and talk and play and go places without phones, that is just silly to me. When my kids friends come over that have phones that is all they do - no board games or giggling, just staring into a phone taking selfies a d editing the crap out of them.

This is my opinion by the way, so no need to criticize my opinion. Yours is different and I'm cool with that.

I am with you 100%. This generation is being guinea pigs and I am certain we will not like the results of such experimentation. I am actually in the process of forming a local, low tech families group so that my kids can et together with kids who aren't obsessed with electronic entertainment. Do we use it? Yes! But it is getting increasingly difficult to get groups of kids together to do anything else. And I'm going to be a leader for change in my social network. I believe that strongly in it.

• Like 2

The privacy issues involved with smartphones have not even come up in this discussion yet.

My 9 1/2 year old is not old enough to make decisions about these matters yet. We probably talk about it a bit more than average.

He has ample use of the best computer in the house. He can say, "Mom, you're weird." all he wants but if when my kids ask me why I don't carry a smartphone or Facebook/Whatsapp/etc., I tell them just as honestly as I tell you guys.

I'm not perfect and I'm not Stallman but I do have the legal right to decide whether or not I want to carry a tracking device with me at all times and I am not guilty of child abuse by not spending the grocery and curriculum money on one for my child just because all the other kids carry them.

It's interesting seeing the cultural diversity when I switch back and forth between this thread and a smartphone thread on a tech forum.

I feel very middle-of-the-road with my dumb phone and GUI-free pink netbook for public wifi.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 5

The social inclusion thing is interesting.  My dd12 has complained that now that her two best friends have phones, they text each other all lot, especiall in the morrnings, or want to sit around and play on their phones together and text each other little videos and such.  Before they would often go out biking or to the lake, or do craft projects, and so on.

While I feel for her - I know its hard to feel left out - I am not actually all that keen on the idea of her being glued to a phone all morning texting.

Mine are 14 and if they ever need a dumb phone -- might happen in the fall -- I'd do it, but I don't see why most of my friends need a smart phone, let alone kids.

Don't anyone throw tomatoes at me!! I normally keep my mouth shut!!

Alley

• Like 1

I also don't like my kids to feel left out, but, hey that's life. I also don't want to teach them to conform to society's "standards". It's okay to be different, even preferable. I don't want to teach my kids that to be happy, they must fit in, or to fit in, they must have/do what everyone else is.

My oldest got one when he started going to week long college summer programs & traveling without us, 15 I think?

Dd started taking mine ( smart, but low level & dirt cheap through Ting) to activities this summer & is inheriting it as soon as I suck it up & get myself a new one.

She's tired of borrowing phones to call me for pick up when plans change.

I only use my smartphone for calls or texting, no data plan on it.

Disclaimer - I work for the cell phone company.

My older kids had access to a phone starting about age 10. Whomever was getting dropped off and needed to call for a ride home took the phone with them.

High school - they had dumb phones so they could call if plans changed or they needed rides. Once they got their drivers license, we upgraded to smart phones so we knew where they get were.

DD16 had a little different setup. She didn't have to share a phone with anyone and she got a hand-me-down smart phone starting about age 10. Today she has the same iPhone 6 that I use because I got them on a 2-for-1.

I also don't like my kids to feel left out, but, hey that's life. I also don't want to teach them to conform to society's "standards". It's okay to be different, even preferable. I don't want to teach my kids that to be happy, they must fit in, or to fit in, they must have/do what everyone else is.

You are really reading a whole lot in to why people's kids have cell phones.

Fitting in with peers ranks WAY down my list of why my kids have cell phones.  WAY DOWN, like not even part of the equation.

• Like 6