Menu

Would you buy from Thirft Store if you did not have to?

I was watching the Duggars the other day, and wondering, after all the media and money I believe they are making, why are they shopping at a Thrift Store?

Truly, they can afford Walmart or Target. Dh and I were debating last night and I am still not clear. If they have the money, why do they continue to shop like that, is it habit? What about the other families who really need the items from the thrift store?

Confused,

I could win the lottery and still thrift.

$150 pants for $2 just thrills me even when I do have money.

And when I get rid of clothes - they go back to thrift stores and get recycled again.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is where your money goes when you donate to Goodwill Industries:

http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/howweoperate

http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/howweoperate/shop

Here is the Salvation Army's description of how your donations are used:

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/E3610FB5DDD550A1802573250030E32A?Opendocument

HTH

Hi Newbie, just wanted to add something here. You're not the only one who thought about thrift stores that way; somewhere in my mind I didn't think it was bad to go buy at thrifty stores, but only to a degree. I guess it's my own limits. I too mostly thought they were there to benefit those that are less well off, so you're not alone. I'll even admit that I've become angry when I have seen a nice van carrying a local consignment store logo on the side...shopping to re-sale items. That ticked me off. I know it's legal, but for some reason in my head it was just to much.

Anyway, I may have learned a lesson here also, although I still can't get past the re-selling at a consignment store. I hope those people that are less well off have plenty of opportunities to have decent clothing. At this time I try to re-sell my nicer clothes to a consignment shop or a friend, then I'll either give clothes that aren't as nice to someone for play clothes, or to a thrift store.

As far as the Duggar's....well, who knows how many more babies they might have, plus, have you considered if they all attend college the monumental task it would be to pay for that? Whew, it boggles the mind.

Anyway, I hope you dont' regret asking :)

Alison in KY

I haven't read all the previous posts, but I wanted to post!

I shop at thrift stores even though I don't have to before I pay full price for anything. It just seems like good budgeting to me. We do everything we can to save money and resources and thrift shopping does that.

I bought my three older boys their winter clothes for less than $50. That included a winter jacket, leggings, boots, shirts (including some polo shirts for a cruise we're going on in Jan), dress shoes, pants, belts, etc, etc. Really, I can't justify buying new when we get deals like that. But, my kids always look decent!!

We do it because we'd rather spend our money on other things - travel, museum memberships, travel, karate, travel, sports, and, did I mention, TRAVEL????? LOL See where our priorities are? Heehee.

Growing up, I was taught that thrift stores *were* only for the poor. So I can understand where Newbie was coming from in her question.

In my area, we only have 3 very small "thrift" stores: a Goodwill, and 2 that support local charities. Also, in *my* area, we are encouraged to make donations to these businesses but not to shop there unless we are in need.

So I think, maybe, there is another perspective on this issue.

If I lived in a large city/urban area with several large thrift stores, I would not hesitate to shop there. But in *my* area if I shopped there, I *would* be taking away from those that can't afford to shop elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamabegood

Okay. Newbie is asking an honest, wanting-to-know kind of question. Why the snotty "I'm so baffled, I can't possibly understand your thinking" multiple posts from certain people? Obviously, she's willing to learn. How about expending a little more charity in her direction as you self-congratulate on your superior thinking? Dang, that's irritating.

Gee, up until this point I didn't think anyone was being snotty.

Thank you for the defense of my posts; Mamabegood was talking about me. I get why she'd post that in response to my posts in this thread.

I do have a better understanding of Newbie's perspective; the assumption that only "the needy" should shop at thrift stores. I never had that opinion nor lived in an area in which that was the community habit. I used to volunteer as a young adult with an animal league (rescued abandoned animals and fostered them until we could adopt them out) and we had a thrift store to pay for food, vet bills, etc. We welcomed and encouraged *everyone* to shop there! Here, the thrift stores are more people based. The retail establishments are for everyone and the profits go to assist qualified humans in many ways.

In any case, I am sorry for my repeated tone. I was defensive. I guess adding in the "Duggars" and making assumptions about their income hit a nerve. It would be easy, for example, for people to see my house and make assumptions (from the outside ;)) about me; those assumptions would be wrong. :D

Newbie, I am sorry for taking your thread down a negative rabbit trail.

I grew up thinking thrift stores were for the poor as well. Now mind you my family was borderline poor.. not quite middle class but not quite poverty. Anyway my parents were to proud to shop thrift stores. However when I married my husband his sister opened my eyes to the world of thrift stores.. now I LOVE THEM!! I shop at them every chance I get! As for the duggars.. well I would not judge them. A frugal life is nothing to be ashamed of. I saw the same episode and they made their own soap, shopped at aldi and bought at thrift stores. They do things as cheaply as possible. BUT one thing.. they have no debt! they pay cash for everything. Just think how great it would be to be completely Debt free (yah im sure some of you are.. My family was and are working back towards it). What if you could pay CASH for everything?? College, cars, vacations. And not bat an eye? yah they can do that.. because they are frugal. :) What a great way to live. :) Even if you do not buy anything take a trip to your local thrift store.. glance through the clothing racks as if you were shopping.. you might be surprised at what you find :). I have found tons of expensive things for less than 1/4 of the price. :) its great!!

In my area we have 3 Goodwills, 3 Salvation Army stores, and several local charity types stores. I love to thrift store shop even though I don't have to, I find the best deals. Our Goodwill has .99 Sunday and Mondays and I find almost new clothing every time I go. I totally agree about finding better quality clothing there than Walmart or Target.

I also go for the books. .39 paperbacks, .89 hardbacks.

I know where we used to live there were a few charity-type stores that were designed for the needy. You had to qualify to go there, they were not open to the public.

We have several thrift stores in our area. One is for our local battered women's shelter. The women and children are clothed from it and the rest is sold and the proceeds go to run the shelter and help get education for the women to restart their lives.

Our family just started shopping thrift and I wish I had known about them sooner. Our budget for clothing is $0- $30. a month and that does not cloth a family of 4 at any local mart. However at the thrift store I got clothed the male members of the family for the winter with $50. and a lot of the clothes were from Land's End, Eddie Bauer. The type of clothing we bought before 9/11 and American Airlines taking 2/3rds of our income so that they could stay out of Bankruptcy. If we ever get back to pre 9/11 income it will be hard to pay full price when I know the local thrifts have it for so much less.

Dh gave me $15. on Friday and told me to go treat myself. I literally had NO clothes for winter they had fallen apart. With the $15. I got a complete outfit from Cold Water Creek, jeans, top, and sweater, plus a Lands End sweater, several items from Eddie Bauer. I can not believe how well dressed I am for $15.00. Better dressed than I have been for several years and all the items I got look like they have never been used and some still had the tags on them.

It is a very rare day that I can shop for clothes at a thrift store. I can't wear used clothes from someone I don't know. It just grosses me out - no matter how many times I wash them.

Just curious- what is gross about it to you? I had a friend who didn't want to possibly be getting clothes that belonged to a dead person. I always teased her (nicely) about it, because that just doesn't bother me at all.

It is a very rare day that I can shop for clothes at a thrift store. I can't wear used clothes from someone I don't know. It just grosses me out - no matter how many times I wash them.

but unless you shop only from catalogues, dozens of people, of varying levels of cleanliness, may have tried on that brand new shirt you just bought, right?

In military familes, it is extremely normal to shop thrift stores and not because we can't afford anything either. We move and we change climates. We don't get the luxury of moving according to store schedules. We moved from an area with almost no summer to Florida with 90 degree plus days in June. We are now moving to VA in December. I give lots of clothes away to the thrift stores. What else would I do with clothes that don't fit my kids anymore?

My kids like to shop thrift stores to buy presents and some extra clothes. They can afford thrift prices. We shop for costumes. I expect my son to shop thrifts or used furniture stores or yard sales for furniture to furnish his first apartment when that happens. They are good for many things.

We shop at Goodwill weekly. Our local store is huge, and the turnover of inventory is staggering. Yes, we can afford to go to the mall or Walmart, but choose not to most of the time. The bargains you can find there are amazing! Just last week I found my husband an Eddie Bauer dress shirt, with the new tag attached, for $3.00. The kid's clothes are $2-$3.00 a piece, and you get so spoiled with the prices, it hurts to go pay retail. You just look until you find something in new or like-new condition, and you have a real bargain. You just never know what you will find there, so it's always an adventure. I consider it a blessing and really makes our money stretch. We also make big contributions to the store monthly, so it's a give and take relationship. :D

Ginger

Just curious- what is gross about it to you? I had a friend who didn't want to possibly be getting clothes that belonged to a dead person. I always teased her (nicely) about it, because that just doesn't bother me at all.

It is probably an irrational thing. The thought of someone else's sweat being in the clothes. Or their germs. Or maybe they wiped their nose on their pants leg or something. And the dead people thing.

I'd spend so much money in bleach, hot water and electricity that it would be cheaper to just buy new.

That's ok. They also have books!! I won't buy second hand underwear either. That grosses me out.

My aunt works in a tip and it amazes her the amount of really good stuff people throw away. Better it goes to an op shop (ok, thrift store ;) ) where someone who wants it is going to find it. She brought me two chests of drawers for our new baby and has promised us a new tent. New as in never put up before, new tent. I'd rather a billionaire was buying that tent for $20 from an op shop than have it sitting in the tip waiting to rot.

Rosie

i love my local thrift store! sometimes i time my school day around their hours! i live in south orange county(calif) where there is a lot of money,but that doesn't stop anyone here. i recently bought the whole hardback set of series of unfortunate events for $1.00 each. i love to shop, and i figure that this is the best way, it's cheap, environmentally sound and fun. in laguna beach it's great because it's a lot of the same die hards at the garage sales every week. i can catch up with people, get the latest in town, drink my tea, and find a painting, or expensive clothes for crazy cheap, vintage goodies, and ALWAYS something for the classroom. it makes me happy just thinking about it!

ps i don't have tv so i don't know about this show, but i do know that sometimes being frugal can get just as weird and unhealthy as being a consumer pig...

anyhoo...happy treasure hunting give it a try, you might like it!

That's ok. They also have books!! I won't buy second hand underwear either. That grosses me out.

My aunt works in a tip and it amazes her the amount of really good stuff people throw away. Better it goes to an op shop (ok, thrift store ;) ) where someone who wants it is going to find it. She brought me two chests of drawers for our new baby and has promised us a new tent. New as in never put up before, new tent. I'd rather a billionaire was buying that tent for $20 from an op shop than have it sitting in the tip waiting to rot.

Rosie

Tip? As in, garbage dump?

I shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army frequently. I'm not "needy"--just cheap. LOL

The Goodwill here gets Macy's rejects. 90% of the furniture is from Macy's and there is an entire section of the store which sells brand new items and greatly reduced prices. I got my Kitchenaid food processor there for $119, new, in the box, and retailed for around $200, IIRC. I've gotten brand new Fiestaware for $18 a place setting. Dd has gotten clothes and costume items at Goodwill for years.

Our SA has a book sale every quarter and I spend at least $20 each time I go. Books are .25 and .75 each!

In our town, there are many places for truly indigent people to get clothing, food, shelter, etc. Every year our church does a Swap Day and what isn't taken by church members goes to a local homeless mission. Last time, we took an entire van (and I'm talking a 15 seater) full of clothing and linens. The mission has clients help sort the clothes and those who help get first choice. There are several food pantries and opportunities to donate to it throughout the year.

Consignment shops, while they are for profit, also give quite a bit to those that qualify as "needy."

I owned a children's consignment shop for several years. I would get in much more than I could sell and most people do not want their old children's clothing and toys back. I made weekly donations to several charities. These items would go straight to people in need - for free.

Most of the consignment shops I knew did the same. I'm sure this is true for thrift stores as well. I know our Salvation Army would give away items to those in need. They would give them credit to the thrift store and hold items that families were in need of rather than putting them out for sale. (Our Salvation Army actually kept a list for those people.) There is so much "stuff" out there. I donated almost as much as I sold, much of it to the local teen pregnancy shelter, the emergency shelter for abused women and children, the local hospital and a ministry for children of local migrant workers. There are lots of charities working behind the scenes to give to those in need and at no cost to those families. It is really a huge network. :)

I appreciate Goodwill and how it does job training for a lot of people who really need it. Sometimes Target is cheaper than Goodwill for certain things, so just because you are at a thrift store doesn't mean you are getting the best deal. Garage sales are cheaper than Goodwill, but they don't go to a program that keeps people off of welfare.

I think reusing things is a great way to be good stewards of your money and resources. How would anyone know if some needy person would even want what I wanted to buy? If I leave it on the shelf and it doesn't sell then Goodwill will no longer exist. I think purchasing from them is more of a donation then letting merchandise sit.

I shop at thrift stores as often as I can. My biggest budget savings come from groceries/CVS items, so I spend the majority of my bargain shopping time trying to cut those costs. If I had more time, I know I could get more great deals on clothes. It's all a matter of stewardship to me. If I can find a really nice skirt or pair of pants at a thrift store (sometimes with tags still on), why would I want to buy it brand new at more than twice the price? I don't consider our family needy, but since we live on one income, I try to make the most of every penny. We're not in debt, but we still eat beans 'n rice a couple of times a week, shop for used clothes when we can, avoid unnecessary expenses (cable tv, for one), and clip coupons. Eating out is a rare event in our family. I'd rather have the extra money for trips, great books, field trips, Christmas gifts for the kiddos, college expenses, and retirement.

We have always been recipients of many hand-me-downs. Now that my kids are bit bigger, not so much any more. And I have three kids close in age, close in size so there's not much hand-me-downing within the family. It's expensive to go out and buy three new winter coats. Three new pairs of boots. Three new snow pants. Etc. I found a virtually new winter coat for $5 for my son.

Like everyone else, it's getting harder to make ends meet in a mostly one income family (I do work casually, occasionally). I'm amazed at what's available at the local thrift store.

I will shop wherever it is that I find what I like. I have no store loyalty LOL!!!! Granted since the children came it has been mostly second hand type stores but even before then when money for me was just great if I saw something I liked at a thrift store I would buy!! I kind of once wondered myself if I was wrong in doing that but then again those thrift stores use the money to benefit the community that needs so much help. I don't think your question was wrong everyone gets curiouse about others.

Tip? As in, garbage dump?

Yep- thats an Aussie word for rubbish dump :D

I miss op-shopping ( thrift store shopping), and we have never "needed" to shop at one- but I liked to.

I never personally bought a lot of clothes for everyday wear, but always loved searching for dress up/fancy dress items.

I bought plenty of books, and homewares which the kids used for role playing etc. ( eg: handbags, cup and saucers, baskets etc).

I must live in a bubble, because I can respect being frugal and buying at the best price(things are tight, but I look for sales and save for clothes and shoes), but I truly thought those stores were for people in need. If not, where do they shop? Are we taking away from them by purchasing these low cost items?

You could look at it the way you're suggesting--that there are ten sweaters in the store, and hundreds of people who want them, and if I'm one of the ten that get one, then the other hundreds-minus-ten will do without. What's good for me is bad for my competitor. True enough, if you're only looking at those sweaters and the people who want them.

But that's a very limited field of vision that you're looking at, you know? The big picture isn't a zero-sum game. It's not just a competition. What's good for me can be good for my "competitor" at the same time, because we're not just competitors.

Well-patronized thrift shops stay in business longer and get more and better donations. Being patronized by non-poor people keeps the area they're in from being labeled "a bad part of town." A brisk business keeps the stock turning over. It reduces the stigma of shopping there. That sort of thing. It's good, even for the poor people, to have not-poor people shopping there.

Other people have already mentioned all the other ways that shopping thrift stores can help others. Reducing pollution by reducing production and consumption, saving money that you can then give to job training programs or food banks or battered women's shelters. Resisting the pressure to buy new, buy lots, keep up with everyone else's spending--that's just a good thing, all around.

And then there's the whole problem with Wal-Marts' and Target's business model--in order to get YOU low prices on new stuff, they have to pay their workers less, buy from sweatshops, etc. It's not entirely clear that you shopping at Wal-Mart will be better for poor people, if Wal-Mart's business model tends to keep poor people poor.

(Caveat lector--this is a thought exercise only, and should not be taken as a condemnation of Wal-Mart, Target, poor people, not-poor people, dog owners, knitters, or people who polish their silver. No warranty is expressed or implied herein. We are not liable for adverse events arising from misuse or abuse of this post. Do not use as a hair dryer or a circumcision device.)

I started shopping at thrift stores when I was a teenager. My friend introduced me to them, and I loved the fact that I could find unique items. I have also always been a bargain hunter. Today, I buy most of my skirts from thrift stores because it's hard to find them elsewhere. Plus, I can buy a very well-made piece of clothing from a thrift store for $3.00 or I could buy a lesser quality from Walmart for $8.00. Which would you choose?

As for your question -- implying that the wealthy should buy the wealthier things and the poorer, the poorer, I think you are bordering on obsessing over class disctinction / entitlement mentality. Do you think that wealthy people should not buy generic brand or use coupons or buy used cars?

Anyway, I really think that as often as people shop for clothes, there will be enough to go around for everyone. If anyone is putting a severe dent in the thrift store selection, it's Ebay sellers. I saw a big change in thrift stores and yard sales when Ebay got big.

We make enough money to shop at "better" stores than thrift stores, but as someone posted somewhere else, it's not about how much you make but how much you keep. You can go one step firther and say it's about how much you have left to give away.

I hope my children choose to be frugal-minded people even if their budgets allow for much more.

Wal-Mart will be better for poor people, if Wal-Mart's business model tends to keep poor people poor.

I read your caveat, but I really had to respond to this statement. Wal-mart is not forcing anyone to work for them -- I believe people apply for these positions. These employees could always go elsewhere based on their experience. I don't see how a business can keep someone poor -- they always have the right to pursue a different job.

I read your caveat, but I really had to respond to this statement. Wal-mart is not forcing anyone to work for them -- I believe people apply for these positions. These employees could always go elsewhere based on their experience. I don't see how a business can keep someone poor -- they always have the right to pursue a different job.

I agree with nestof3. Also I know several people that work for Walmart and they said they like working there. They also said they choose to work there. They are baffled over this controversy with Walmart. They said that Walmart is a business and they are the workers. They want to work there because they can not because they have to work there.

Anyway...

I shop at thrift stores but not exclusivly. I also buy clothing from other upscale stores from their clearence racks. Yes you do find really good deals.

The duggars have every right to shop at thrift stores.

Holly

(Caveat lector--this is a thought exercise only, and should not be taken as a condemnation of Wal-Mart, Target, poor people, not-poor people, dog owners, knitters, or people who polish their silver. No warranty is expressed or implied herein. We are not liable for adverse events arising from misuse or abuse of this post. Do not use as a hair dryer or a circumcision device.)

I don't have a dog or any silver. I'm completely offended! :mad:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Wal-mart is not forcing anyone to work for them -- I believe people apply for these positions. These employees could always go elsewhere based on their experience. I don't see how a business can keep someone poor -- they always have the right to pursue a different job.

I am not anti Walmart. I shop there without guilt often.

However, I think WalMart is often perceived as the only non fast food option for women (usually) who do not have much experience or education. I can understand why a woman feels here employment options are very limited.

I haven't read any replies.

Sometimes you find better quality used stuff at consignment and thrift stores. I've bought my kids barely used LL Bean boots and snow gear second hand.

If the stuff is in good condition why spend extra money just to buy new. Put the money toward a future vacation, college fund, or even admission to the zoo.

If the highest quality new you can afford is Target and Wallmart and you don't want to contribute to China's economy then used is a good option. When you buy a product used, the original vendor does not see any profit, so with this approach it may not matter where the stuff was originally made, but there is plenty of good quality stuff used that is not made in China if you are determined to be strict about that.

You might have a preference for being seriously "green" so getting something used fits in perfectly with "reuse, recycle".

Having enough money to buy new at Target does not make you so rich that you have unlimited savings. Why spend the money if you don't need to.

Wal-mart is not forcing anyone to work for them -- I believe people apply for these positions. These employees could always go elsewhere based on their experience. I don't see how a business can keep someone poor -- they always have the right to pursue a different job.

There are certainly cases where your statement is true and there are also probably times when that statement is not, e.g. in area where WalMart has actually run small businesses out of business some people may have little choice but to work at WalMart. There is also controversy with WalMart forcing manufacturers to provide goods at such low prices that the manufacturers then feel forced to engage in practices such as sweatshops and prison labor. I'm not entirely believing this is intentional but then again, do they just "look the other way". I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart_Effect

I'm in a small town area of only about 100,000 people in 2 counties. After 2 WalMarts opened in the last few years, yes, a few businesses have been driven out of business but there remain a few other choices. I have friends who are extremely frugal yet never shop at WalMart. I sometimes do, but not for clothing. None of it seems well-made. Target though has some good brands that hold up. WalMart has also actually brought a greater choice of groceries with them and some of our local stores have had to increase their appeal which I appreciate.

But clothing? I like Thrift stores a lot for the finding quality items at prices I could not otherwise afford and for the "reduce, reuse, recycle" principle involved. I have also seen the effect of greater patronage benefitting more people. - Jill

• Economic Impact of Local Businesses vs. Chains
    Studies have found that locally owned stores generate much greater benefits for the local economy than national chains.
  • Retail EmploymentThese studies examine whether the arrival of a superstore increases or decreases the number of retail jobs in the region.
  • Wages & Benefits
    Studies have found that big-box retailers, particularly Wal-Mart, are depressing wages and benefits for retail employees.
  • Existing Businesses
    These studies look at how the arrival of a big-box retailer displaces sales at existing businesses, which must then downsize or close. This results in job losses and declining tax revenue, which some of these studies quantify.
  • Poverty Rates
    Counties that have gained Wal-Mart stores have fared worse in terms of family poverty rates, according to this study.
  • Social and Civic Well-Being
    This study found that Wal-Mart reduces a community's level of social capital, as measured by voter turnout and the number of active community organizations.
  • City Costs
    These studies compare the municipal tax benefits of big-box development with the cost of providing these stores with city services, such as road maintenance, police and fire—finding that cities do not always come out ahead.
  • State Costs
    Because many of their employees do not earn enough to make ends meet, states are reporting high costs associated with providing healthcare (Medicaid) and other public assistance to big-box employees.
  • Subsidies
    This study documents more than $1 billion in local and state development subsidies that have flowed to Wal-Mart.
  • Consumers & Prices
    Are chains better for consumers?
  • Traffic
    How do vehicle miles traveled and trips increase as a result of big box developments?

We are really getting into "thrift" shopping. My dd (14) just found many outfits there. We also go to an area church which has a free used clothing store. You can go once a month and fill 2 plastic (store size) bags full...boy, can you fill them. I have found alot there for the 4 youngest.

We also donate all clothes we do not want anymore.

I am not 100% up on the evidence that Wal-Mart destroys local economies and all that. I've heard some of it, and I believe SOME of it.

The idea that people can simply choose to work elsewhere, though, is misleading in two ways.

One, people who work in sweatshops are often working there under duress. So, Wal-Mart's business model doesn't necessarily keep poor people poor because they pay low rates for their employees, but because they (allegedly?) buy shirts and socks from people who are abusing their employees. And even if they don't do it knowingly, they don't ask many questions on purpose.

Two, wages in one company affect other companies in the area. If someone moves in and pays double for the same job, everybody else's wages have to go up to compete for labor. If a company moves in and can get employees at half the price of everybody else, everybody else has to cut costs somewhere in order to compete for customers, and that somewhere is often wages and benefits. It's not as simple as that, of course, which is the reason for my caveat. But generally speaking, the presence of a low-paying employer negatively affects wages in the entire area, so just "finding another place to work" isn't necessarily an option.

Really, my point was not to slam W-M or Target (if I didn't shop there, my kids would be almost nekkid!), but to point out that the most simplistic reasoning is not the best. OP's take on "what's good for the poor" was too narrow--it focused only on the competition for cheap goods, not on the building of a community. If you look at things from a community-based perspective (not an individual, nor a national one), you get a different view of things.

In one case, it went something like, a Wal-Mart in one town got flooded and needed to be repaired--several months worth. They expanded the hours in the the W-M in the next town over, and doubled up their employee shifts so that the employees from the one town would still be fully employed for the two or three months the other W-M had to be closed.

I've heard similar stories of them trying to do right by their employees.

The economic reality is just that unskilled employees have a VERY hard time feeding their families and keeping a roof over their heads. Wal-Mart is not an isolated phenomenon, and they're not (as far as I know) egregiously worse than other businesses that make use of unskilled workers. They're just the biggest target.

I agree with nestof3. Also I know several people that work for Walmart and they said they like working there. They also said they choose to work there. They are baffled over this controversy with Walmart. They said that Walmart is a business and they are the workers. They want to work there because they can not because they have to work there.

Holly

I wonder about this too. Of all the stores I shop at, the employees at WM are the nicest and seem the happiest. I've never had anyone be rude to me at WM, and usually they are very friendly. If it were such an evil place where they are keeping their employees poor, wouldn't it show in their attitudes?

I LOVE to buy second hand for a bunch of reasons. We do not make a ton, but could buy new if we had to. The thrift stores serve a purpose and a great one. If only people "in need" shopped at thrift stores, there would be A LOT less money going to the organizations that benefit from the sales because I guarantee you that many people who shop at thrift stores don't have to, but choose to.

We have churches and organizations in our area that have give aways or free shops for those in need. I wouldn't go there for free clothes because I believe that would be taking away from those in need, but my money spends just like everyone else's at the thrift store.

I plan on being one of those families that is well off/comfortable someday, thanks to my frugal ways, and I will in no way feel guilty for that. :)

As for the Duggars, it certainly appears that they make a decent living, but that is none of my business. One thing that comes to mind, however, is that maybe they choose to live frugally in this area so that they can spend more on things that they feel are more important. An example for our family is that I choose frugality in the area of clothing and household goods so that I can spend a little more (and I do mean a little more, lol!) on better quality foods. And speaking of food, I can't even begin to imagine what their food bill is! I say kuddos to them for debt free living.

~Staci

Was given dozens of ties from a widow in his church. They were very stylish and retro. He handed them out to guys in his department. They loved wearing their "Dead Guy Ties." Sounds like a great clothing line name, doesn't it.

K

who can probably afford the 'marts, but loves SA.

Why not thrift shop? I know plenty of people who don't "have" to do it that still enjoy it. I wasn't aware you had to be below a certain income level to cruise Goodwill. :confused:

I rarely find good clothes at Goodwill, but I know that in some areas GW can have amazing finds. Now books... I scored a ton of great books at Goodwill recently.

This cracks me up, you know. I have a friend that won't buy used books because someone *might* have sat on the toilet while reading them. She won't use the library for the same reason. She also takes her own sheets to hotels.

I just figure what won't kill will make you stronger! :D

When we had more money, we still shopped at thrift stores. Not only can you find great stuff at a cheaper price, the way my dc grow, it seems a waste to buy new stuff. The money we saved can be used for other things--family nights out, movies, occasional treats, buying something we need or even want for the house. It just seemed a wiser use of our money. Besides, it was fun!:001_smile: