Menu

Spouses and Christmas stockings

Night Elf

In another thread, several people mentioned filling their own stockings because their spouses wouldn't/couldn't do it. Is there anyone out there whose spouse does fill your stocking? DH and I put candy only in our stockings so it's a no brainer. I'm not disappointed I don't have anything other than candy. That's our tradition.

• Like 1

My dad filled my mother's stocking.  My dad was/is an exceptionally good gift giver.  He tucked away small things all year, he listened to her wants, he would go out of his way for a $1 item, and man, those stockings.  A thing of beauty.  :)

He still buys me some small things, stocking-ish, and I love it.   My parents are divorced, don't always get along, and I would never tell my mom that my dad does this.  Because she also buys some small stocking things.  And it's awesome.  

My dh is a very bad stocking person, but both parents do it, so it works out.  About 5 years ago, I took over, and I make myself a wonderful, thoughtful stocking.  And because I start shopping in like May, I forget what I bought myself, so there are a few surprises.  LOL.  It's the best solution for us.

• Like 6

In my family (extended family who are all there on Christmas morning) there are too many adults for any one person to be in charge of filling stockings. Basically, everyone contributes to stocking stuffers. They bring them to me ahead of time (wrapped and labeled who they are for) and they bring me candy as well and my sister and I usually stuff the stockings together. So I will do the physical stuffing of my own stocking but the gifts in there were bought by other people and wrapped so I don't know what they are till Christmas morning. We just started doing this a few years ago (after not doing stockings for adults for many years) and everyone loves it and has a lot of fun with it. :) We have 17 people here for Christmas this year and I have a bunch of people contributing to candy and gifts for the stockings. :)

• Like 3

I've never heard of adults doing stockings, so no one fills my non-existent stocking. I was actually going to post the question of how many people do stockings as adults. No one does in my family, my DH's family, and I've never heard my friends talk about their own stocking.

I love stockings. I don't remember my parents having them when I was growing up. I started them when I got my own apartment with my 1st husband. My mom didn't get me one, probably because I had moved out, and I missed getting one. Then when I remarried, I continued my tradition to do stockings for all of us. I'll always fill stockings for my kids and add in significant others. I've got a labeled stocking for my oldest dd's boyfriend hanging on our mantel right next to hers.

• Like 2

we only ever did stockings for the kids & I think this might be the last year we do even that. 

This is how my inlaws feel--stockings were over by 8 or 10 for kids.

It is my favorite part--I love it so.  All the little tiny things.  All the thought.  All the smiles.  Love it.  Wouldn't be the same without them.  The first year I gave dh a stocking, he looked at me like I'd lost my mind.  Whatever.  ;)

• Like 4

We do stockings for all.  For us, the purpose of the stocking is to give small children and impatient adults a little something-something to play with or build while they wait for everyone else to wake up and breakfast and be ready for opening the under-the-tree gifts.  This arrangement becomes more genius as the time between parents finishing Christmas Eve preparations and eager children waking up approaches a small enough amount to be incompatible with parental sanity.

For years, I did the kids' and dh's, and dh did mine.  Nowadays, our rule is that each teen/adult gets one item for everyone else's stocking. It doesn't have to be the same thing for each person, but it can be.  It doesn't have to be expensive.  It means that each person can be thoughtful about what they can get that might be special or different - such as some local specialty food, or a cool little building toy that no one else knows even exists.  Or they can choose a theme, like magazines or socks, and choose a special one for each person.  This method has been wonderful - it takes the pressure off of me to fill everyone's stocking, and it means the stockings will be an interesting mix of things instead of just one person's idea of what would be nice.  I still get something nice for dh, and he makes an effort for me, but there is no pressure on either of us, or on anyone else, to be solely responsible for another person's stocking experience.

• Like 8

We just do kid stockings. We did them for DH and I for a couple years, and then realized we both didn't care enough for it to be worth the effort. Another thing we tried was making a basket that we shared full of special foods and treats to eat over the holidays. I liked that one... maybe we will revive it!

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

We do stockings for kids, not for adults.  DH's family doesn't really do them, but my mom was a big stocking fan, so I bring that to our family.

My mom did stockings pretty much until we were parents, and sometimes she does stockings for dh and me when we visit.  I do them for the kids, but not for dh. I don't even have a stocking, but I knit ones for the boys.  DH has one that his grandmother knit and it's cute.

We put little gifts and candy and small practical items in stockings. So, candy and maybe a cute toy, but also things like deodorant and underwear.

I'm not even going to tell you what my mom put in our stockings in high school and college, lol.  She is a very practical person and a nurse. There isn't much that embarrass her. God, I had better tell her to back off with ds16.... he might die, lol.

• Like 2

In another thread, several people mentioned filling their own stockings because their spouses wouldn't/couldn't do it. Is there anyone out there whose spouse does fill your stocking? DH and I put candy only in our stockings so it's a no brainer. I'm not disappointed I don't have anything other than candy. That's our tradition.

Husband fills mine.  I provide an orange and some chocolate (the same as everyone else) and he puts a few other little things in.

I buy everything for both. It's easier that way as I pretty much just get two of the same things and it's roughly the same stuff every year: toothbrush, candy, package of nuts or similar small treat, chap stick, shower pouf, candles.

Then on Christmas Eve when we're setting out the santa stuff I fill DH's and he fills mine. So technically he fills my stocking, but I'm the one who picked it all out. Maybe our traditions will change when the kids are older and the santa gig is up. 

• Like 1

My husband fills mine and I his.  We sometimes buy things we want and give it to the other person to put in our stocking (for instance I wanted a pair of gloves that I can wear while using my iPhone, but they don't all work the same so I tried a bunch out and checked the fit, and bought the ones I liked.  He gave me a new razor he wanted to try, etc.).  There is always something that surprises us, now.  It took him a few years for us to get to this point.  He'd be fine with an empty stocking, but now he knows full stockings make me happier than gifts under the tree. 

• Like 2

We stick to candy here. Mostly. Sometimes DH will slip in a pair of artisan earrings from a local store.

Aside: I smile every time I see your avatar.

We stick to candy here. Mostly. Sometimes DH will slip in a pair of artisan earrings from a local store.

Aside: I smile every time I see your avatar.

Thank you! I should confess that picture is a couple of years old. My hair is longer now and because of that I only wear it in a pony tail which is boring. I keep thinking about a new haircut but can't bring myself to do it. :)

Plus, I don't remember how to get a new picture up. I remember struggling when I finally got that one up.

• Like 1

We don't do stockings for adults.

Kinda sorry I started it for the kids  All those little dumb things are expensive.  I hate giving too much candy, but I usually give candy because it fills it up and isn't too expensive!

Yeah, when I was reading the other thread and realizing all of these people did stockings for everyone, I was thinking "Good Gracious! I can't afford to do the kids' stockings, let alone add in 2 adults too!". I'm really good about budgeting for gifts, but those dang stockings suck up huge amounts of money every year. 

• Like 1

Kinda sorry I started it for the kids  All those little dumb things are expensive.  I hate giving too much candy, but I usually give candy because it fills it up and isn't too expensive!

Stocking stuffers don't have to be expensive. In fact, if you have a Party City near you, it can be cheaper than the Dollar Store for stocking stuffers. And if you're a really good planner, there's always Oriental Trading! Plus, there's nothing wrong with looking in thrift stores. It takes some time to peruse, but you CAN score inexpensive and unique stocking stuffers there. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Our stockings consist of a can of black olives (always and forever; this started when I was a child), an orange, some nuts, a few kisses (because my children will eat everything in reach the moment they open it), a toothbrush....stuff like that.  Sometimes a kid gets a bag of marshmallows.  Sometimes a toddler gets a bag of goldfish.  An individual juice bottle.  This year, they are all 4 getting potato guns.  Razors for dh and me.  Some nail polish for me.  Socks.  Underwear.  So it's all sort of practical stuff, with a tiny bit of candy and an individual drink (this somehow makes my children very happy).  Kroger does a free item every week, and when it's interesting, I often save it for stockings.  If I can get something cheap with coupons, I buy it and put it in the bag in my closet.  

I buy for this all year, so it doesn't really add up at the end.  I wouldn't go out and just buy enough to fill a stocking straight away.  You're right--that would kill my budget.

• Like 3

We have small stockings.  I just put in an orange, some chocolate coins, a book and one or two other items.  This year, Hobbes is getting two £1 hand warmers and a bottle of special hot sauce,  and Calvin a cheap scarf and a reusable takeaway coffee cup;  both are getting gloves (bought on sale after Christmas last year).

• Like 1

We do family gifts on Solstice (so, today :) ), and then stockings on Christmas morning. I do my daughter's and my husband's, he does mine, though I do buy some things that will go in all when I find them on a good sale. For instance, this year we will have oranges (always an orange in the toe), bags of sesame sticks, and small bags of Walker's shortbread scotties in all of them, green tea kitkats for me and my husband. For my husband, I am then putting in some specialty beef jerky strips, an itunes gift card, a small bag of pistachios, some dark chocolate kitkats, and maybe a pair of wooly socks. My daughter is getting an itunes gift card, nail polish, lip balm, a nail polish clean up pen, lindor truffles, a couple of Larabars, sour gummi candy, and some dried pineapple (my husband picked up the pineapple).

The gift cards I count as part of the main present budget, usually they are $10-15. This year they'll get $25 because I got them at a discount, our budget is a bit bigger, and main presents weren't as expensive overall.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

For us, stockings are a necessity. They keep the kids busy while the coffee is brewing, lol  Plus I love how, even though they are so big, they still come and get into my bed and open the stockings while daddy makes the coffee.  We don't get them much for Christmas, they get much less than their friends seem to get, so the opening of stockings extends the excitement a little bit.  Without the stockings the whole opening of gifts is over in about 5 minutes, lol.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

Stockings have always been a big deal for our family.

My dh and I do one another's stockings. Mostly we give each other practical stuff - scissors and tape, batteries, fingernail clippers. Small games, kitchen tools. My dh is getting a nice coffee mug in his stocking - and I also bought one for myself for him to put in my stocking!! :-)

So for us, it's a very practical, fun, and fluid exchange - I buy stuff for both of them and so does he.

Neither of us is particularly good at gifts - there is rarely an actual surprise under the tree - and we're okay with that.

Anne

Stocking stuffers don't have to be expensive. In fact, if you have a Party City near you, it can be cheaper than the Dollar Store for stocking stuffers. And if you're a really good planner, there's always Oriental Trading! Plus, there's nothing wrong with looking in thrift stores. It takes some time to peruse, but you CAN score inexpensive and unique stocking stuffers there. Just a thought.

My kids aren't little little though and I don't want a bunch of junky little things. 

Our thrift stores only sell clothing.  And not even kids' clothing.

• Like 1

We have small stockings.  I just put in an orange, some chocolate coins, a book and one or two other items.  This year, Hobbes is getting two £1 hand warmers and a bottle of special hot sauce,  and Calvin a cheap scarf and a reusable takeaway coffee cup;  both are getting gloves (bought on sale after Christmas last year).

hot sauce is a good idea...one of mine lovesss hot sauce...thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

Exactly. Older kids don't want junky stuff.  Even just putting in - idk - new knickers and earbuds and gift cards adds up really, really quickly. That's easily $30 for each stocking for me right there. 

Things are $$ here. Even in thrift shops.

oh geesh yeah

In fact I got a gift card and wrapped that up...that's a full fledged gift...LOL

And then I feel compelled to find stuff that fits in there.  I got him this cool pillow (only $5), but that thing won't fit in there. 

Maybe I need bigger stockings.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I really feel like Christmas gifts in their current form are kind of a fake tradition - like Mother's day is - created to sell stuff rather than really make people feel happy or loved.

Gifts can be fun of course, to get and to buy for others, but really I wish it was so, so much smaller a part of things.

• Like 4

Neither my parents nor DH's parents did stocking for each other when we were kids.  Stockings were just for kids.  DH wanted to do a stocking for me our first Christmas after we got married and so I got him stuff too.  Now it is just part of our tradition that we enjoy.  I get stuff for DH and the kids and DH gets stuff for me and some years helps with picking out stuff for the kids.  DH and I still use our stockings from when we were kids.  Mine was handmade by mom my and very special to me.

I grew up with St Nicholas day so "kids"* get stockings on Dec 6. *Young adults too!

My mum always used normal knee high socks and one of those fit a reasonable amount so that's what I did too.

I didn't know anyone irl who did stockings on Christmas until late teens!

Eta: I assumed stockings hanging up were a decoration!

Edited by happi duck

In my family growing up stockings were just for the kids.

We do shoes here )bc we do presents for St. Nicks day not Christmas ) it never ever occurred to me that dh should get anything special. But we do mainly food anyway-gingerbread men, chocolate coins, oranges and candy canes. Ad it turns out dh does often get some other kind of candy and splits it around. But I kinc if see the shoes stuff as a grownup Goethe kids thing that we tag along on.

Everyone gets stockings here. I was appalled when DH and I got married and I realized he didn't have a stocking.

I fill them all. But, it's not complicated/expensive stuff. It's on the practical side for adults. The toys kids are getting are from garage sales/thrift stores. (For example, I picked up winter themed puzzles at a garage sale...for ten cents each.) I limit toys in them to no more than 6-8 (depending on size, etc...). There will be fruit (generally an apple and orange, but this year it's clementines), a candy cane, a chocolate Santa, and a couple kisses.

Usually DH and I end up with things like new dish rags or gloves. Things we'd need anyway but fit in stockings.

• Like 2

Now that the kids are getting older, we give them a limit and let them pick out for each other's stockings. When I'm out with them doing their shopping, I pick out some snacks for my DH and then I end up getting what I want, because I just think it would be silly to have my DH go out just to get me some Reese's or licorice. There have been a few years where I say hey, go do my stocking and he'll get a few things. Last year was one of those and he and my daughter got me a ton of little office supplies - paper clips, pens, notepads, sticky notes - that was fun, but I am still going through it all, lol. This year there was one candy I like that I couldn't find at our local grocery store so I told him if he can find it, great, if not, no biggie. 

We don't do stockings for adults. Our gifts go under the tree.

Children get very traditional stockings (family tradition, that is): Gold coins from grandparents, candy cane and a chocolate bar, an orange, nuts, and one small toy (such as a matchbox car, or kazoo, or a mini etch-a-sketch). Their other gifts go under the tree.

• Like 2

I had to rein in my DH this year and ask him to please stick to normal sized candy bars. I love Twizzlers and last year he put a one pound bag in my stocking. Good grief!

Hey, in his defense, I could not, for the life of me, find a small size of Twizzlers when I was looking this year!