Menu

Cost of matinee movie near you

Pegasus

Just curious how the cost of going to a matinee movie varies.  If we spring for  the cost of going to the movies, we drive to a near-by smaller town because their theater charges $5.25 for the first matinee showing.  A theater closer to our house runs $9 for matinees.

Normally we just stay home and find something on Netflix.   

• Like 1

Our small town has one very quaint, small theater and they keep all of their movies at $5.  They only run one movie at a time and do not have an updated theater.  My kids often go there to see movies because it is broke college student cheap :)  However, you can only see the movie they are choosing to run that week.  

The one we often go to in the city is $8.99 for a matinee.  However, they run around 10 movies at once, have huge screens and comfy seats.  The price of the concessions are absurd, though.  

We are so lucky- we have 3.50 matinees and 5.00 evening shows! There's 8 screens and they show all the new movies. They even have a popcorn deal for during the week- you buy their bucket and get 50 cent refills Mon-Thurs. It's not a new theater, but it's not old/run down by any means. They are always busy- even during the day on a week day.

The theater we usually go to has weird choices.

Adult matinee $8

Adult twilight $9

Adult evening $10.50

They don't have very early showings except like Summer Flicks.

Children and seniors have the same price all day long, $7.50. I honestly don't remember what time the prices change. I can't keep up.

ETA: when visiting family sometimes we go to a theater that has a cheaper day of the week.

Edited by heartlikealion

I think around $5? Dh, dd11 and I went recently to see "fantastic beasts". It was less than $20 for the three of us, three drinks and two tubs of popcorn.

ETA: we went to an evening show. Had we gone to the matinee it would have been a couple dollars cheaper.

Edited by athomeontheprairie
  • Like 1

I think around $5? Dh, dd11 and I went recently to see "fantastic beasts". It was less than $20 for the three of us, three drinks and two tubs of popcorn.

ETA: we went to an evening show. Had we gone to the matinee it would have been a couple dollars cheaper.

Kudos to your theater for low priced refreshments. Your refreshments would have cost about $15 at our theater, if we chose the small sizes of popcorn and drinks. 

We live in Cali, Colombia.  2 or 3 weeks ago, we went to a Matinee on a Saturday, in a mall with theaters I consider to be on the luxurious side. I was ahead of my wife and she selected the seats and  she paid.  I couldn't believe that we paid what we did. We paid approximately USD $1.75 per seat, in the Coach section. I didn't understand at that moment, why she selected the Coach section and not First Class, where we usually sit. Later, she told me the First Class section would have cost 3 or 4 times more. Not worth is for a 2 hour movie.  We sat in the row in front of the First Class section. Not as comfortable, but a big savings.  The movie we saw was scheduled to begin at approximately 1155 A.M.   After 12 Noon, a huge increase in the prices. 

ETA: This was a showing of the latest Harry Potter movie by J.K. Rowling. 

Edited by Lanny

Regular movies (no RPX or 3D) $7.24 (adult cost, I think child is the same) before 4 pm

3D + RPX - $12.22

3D - $10.80

We have all these options. Sometimes it is hard to find the regular (no RPX) movie times. 

Edited by Bambam

Matinees Mon- Thursday are $5, $6 for the Ultrascreen (we have a 16 screen theater complex). Tuesday all day is matinee price. I have our Rogue One tix already for Tues evening :-). Rather wait a few days than pay up to $15 for the same seat in prime time on the biggest screen. Nuts to that! Matinee's Fri- Sun are $8. So Tuesday is movie day here. Oh, and these are now the huge comfy chairs you can recline, every theater is stadium seating so no view is blocked, lots of room for folks to walk past without bumping into you, and you can select your seats in advance and pick them up at the lobby machines.

Oh, and here matinee prices are any movie starting before or at 4pm.

Edited by JFSinIL

Kids are $5.50 for all showings at the theater in town. Adult ticket proces vary. Weekday matinee is $5.50, weekend matinee is $6.50. Evening showings on weekdays are $6.50, $8.50 on weekends.

If everyone gets popcorn, and we got to a matinee, it's $50 for the five of us. We very rarely go to the movies.

I can't remember what it costs to go to the fancy movie theater in the big city. Last time we went, we had free passes.

I think around $6 for matinee and close to $10 starting late afternoon. The concessions are very expensive but we pay for the rewards card every year which is worth the yearly fee since it gives fairly good discounts.

I don't mind the admission fee considering they have super comfy reclining seats. I don't think I could ever sit in a regular theater seat again, we are spoiled!