Menu

Annual traditions that make you say, "ouch."

Spryte

Does anyone else have an annual holiday tradition that makes you say, "ouch, why did we start this?!"  

Here's mine:  candy for the stockings.  DS has multiple serious allergies, so candy is pricey.  I just hit the button on the Vermont Nut Free order.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  2 chocolate santas and some foil wrapped candies to put in 4 stockings.  $60.  Seriously?!  

• Like 1

My family has this "happy birthday" song that became a tradition in our family when I was a kid (thanks to my older brother).  It's really regrettable.  It's sung in a dirgey tune:  [in case it isn't obvious, this is supposed to be funny]

Happy birthday, oh happy birthday

Grief and sorrow and despair

People dying everywhere

On your birthday, oh happy birthday

I think I started hating it when my friend died on my birthday.  :/  My family won't give it up.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

My family has this "happy birthday" song that became a tradition in our family when I was a kid (thanks to my older brother).  It's really regrettable.  It's sung in a dirgey tune:  [in case it isn't obvious, this is supposed to be funny]

People dying everywhere

I think I started hating it when my friend died on my birthday.  :/  My family won't give it up.

The Birthday Dirge!  I first came across this in college.  We only sing it at the adults in our family, because only they would get that its a joke right now.  But the teens are nearly there, bwahahahaha!

Edited to add: If you google the Birthday Dirge you will come across at least 73 different verses.  People keep thinking up more.

Not knowing when to stop, especially with contributions to Thanksgiving dinner.  The last time we hosted we had 22 people and cooked 4 turkeys and 2 hams.  We had a 22-foot-long buffet and it still wasn't long enough.  This year someone else hosted and it was just as crazy.  We always have so many leftovers (AFTER the guests take home leftovers!) no one wants to even think about anything turkey-related until the next November approaches.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

That &*$%*$?! tooth fairy! It's not the $, it the placement!

Who decided that teeth need to go under the pillow? The tooth should sit by the front door, far away from any sleeping children. And why was I not smart enough to think this through with my first child before I went on to have four more kids.   :lol:

In case you can't tell, the tooth fairy had to do some creative story-telling this week when she got busted during the tooth-for-money exchange.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 19

My mom has a set of chimes that she brings out at christmas so we can play a few carols.  It is something that was so fun when I was a kid - such sweet memories of playing and singing.  

So I got a set for our family.  My dh HATES them!  Okay, hate is too strong of a word, but the playing of the chimes on Christmas Eve brings on all sorts of moaning and eye rolling from him.  Some of our kids like the chimes, others think they are silly.  I still love them and I just brought them downstairs, so I'm ready for any chime opportunity that may arise this month!

• Like 3

I agree that the tooth fairy is stupid.  One year I left the money under the pillow like I was supposed to, but my kid couldn't find it in the morning.  I started accusing her sister of stealing it.  (Sister had a sticky finger problem at the time.)  Obviously killing the whole TF myth (which I don't really regret).  Then I figured out that the money had fallen behind the bed.  Ugh.  I still intended to pretend about the TF just for fun, but I kept forgetting.  Finally I gave each kid $20 and said I never want to hear another word about the tooth fairy for the rest of my life.  :P

• Like 15

The birthday dirge is a bad one.   :)  It made me think of the regrettable Cake Boss contributions to our birthdays one year.  The cake in the face.  Thank goodness that didn't last.

And, yes!  Why put the teeth under the pillow, aaaaarrrghhhh!  How many times has our tooth fairy been unable to find that tiny tooth? 

Here's another holiday tradition I regret:  one year Pottery Barn had the cutest stockings on a great sale, so I ordered some with names.  They are well made, good size, kids love them.  They look great!  But... the first night that Santa arrived to fill them, he complained bitterly about how hard it was to be silent while doing so - they have big jingle bells!  So much for the stealth factor.  Replacing them is not an option, because they are beloved.  

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 4

Does anyone else have an annual holiday tradition that makes you say, "ouch, why did we start this?!"  

Here's mine:  candy for the stockings.  DS has multiple serious allergies, so candy is pricey.  I just hit the button on the Vermont Nut Free order.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  2 chocolate santas and some foil wrapped candies to put in 4 stockings.  $60.  Seriously?!  

Nooo... I'm poorer now!

• Like 1

Filling stockings in general is so darned expensive! And I handmade adorable stockings for each kid when they were small, but those suckers are HUGE! Every year I bemoan all the extra carp I have to buy just to fill up those bottomless pits!

I've started resorting to whole fruit, socks, and undies. :leaving:

• Like 12

We read an annual set of advent books, similar to a Jesse tree, and honestly I get tired of them quickly. It's just one more thing to try and remember each day and I'm maxed out. The kids love it and the content is so great, I feel like a total curmudgeon :o

Quiver's cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. Because I don't do enough baking over the holiday season, I have to stay up the night before making dough and hope it all rises by breakfast. The rolls are delish... now my kids don't want any other cinnamon rolls on Christmas. Cinnabon is good enough for other times though.

• Like 8

Quiver's cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. Because I don't do enough baking over the holiday season, I have to stay up the night before making dough and hope it all rises by breakfast. The rolls are delish... now my kids don't want any other cinnamon rolls on Christmas. Cinnabon is good enough for other times though.

You know it's against board rules to compliment a recipe and not post a link.  :drool:

ETA - nevermind!  My google-fu is ON today!  Also, I think I just gained two pounds!   https://thewelltrainedkitchen.wordpress.com/2006/10/26/quivers-legendary-cinnamon-rolls-courtesy-of-jean-quiverof10/

Edited by elroisees
  • Like 4

Who decided that teeth need to go under the pillow? The tooth should sit by the front door, far away from any sleeping children. And why was I not smart enough to think this through with my first child before I went on to have four more kids.   :lol:

In case you can't tell, the tooth fairy had to do some creative story-telling this week when she got busted during the tooth-for-money exchange.  :001_rolleyes:

Before my oldest lost her first tooth, we made a "tooth fairy pillow". She chose the fabric from my stash, a cloudy light blue flannel. It's about 5" x 8". I cut out a felt tooth and stitched it onto the front on three sides. We felt stickered her name across the top. She chose a few fun fabric stickers to decorate. Now she puts her tooth in the tooth pocket and sets it on her bed *near* her pillow, but not under. We take out the tooth and put the money into the same pocket. So we also don't end up with lost TF money! It's worked great!!  

She recently got one pulled at the dentist and they gave her a small pink plastic tooth to bring it home in. She has since used that to put the tooth in and slide that into the tooth pocket making it even easier since we don't have to fish for the tooth at the bottom of the pocket. 

• Like 3

Making gingerbread houses from scratch.

They're tasty and pretty and fun. But staying up until midnight the day before to make gingerbread walls and roofs and train cars makes me tired and hate gingerbread. And it was MY idea initially! Gah.

Actually, last year, I decided to start a new tradition. I told everyone they needed to help, then I drank wine and coached while they all made the gingerbread together. Hoping this one sticks.

• Like 9

Ugh, the stupid Advent calendar that I have to fill. It's so beautiful, and it cost me an arm and a leg, and I love it--it reminds me of something important from my own childhood--but OMG, how I curse having to find things to fill those stupid little openings! DH saved my bacon this morning, but I'm on the hook for tomorrow *sigh*

You know it's against board rules to compliment a recipe and not post a link.  :drool:

ETA - nevermind!  My google-fu is ON today!  Also, I think I just gained two pounds!   https://thewelltrainedkitchen.wordpress.com/2006/10/26/quivers-legendary-cinnamon-rolls-courtesy-of-jean-quiverof10/

Ooohhhh, yes! Those are the best and have made me legendary in my extended family :D I don't bake much during the holidays, and I've finally trained myself to be done earlier on Christmas Eve, so now I make them for Christmas morning too. We open gifts while they bake, stuff ourselves silly, and then lay there like fat slugs in a carb coma until it's time to get ready to go to MIL's house :lol: I don't regret those babies at all!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 7

Giving each child one special ornament each year.  My mom gave lots of ornaments before she died (like entires sets and series of ornaments).  We have so many freaking ornaments!!!  It takes forever to decorate the tree...and the second tree.  The whole time I am saying "it is okay if everything doesn't make it on".  My boys are not sentimental at all and have no interest in all their ornaments.  I have a dd now and she does most of it.  I call her "Captain Christmas" and make her feel very appreciated.  I don't criticize placement or rearrange.  I just want the dang things decorated. I have a fun, cute, quirky tree with personality , which I love, but then I see those pictures of trees with just lights and bulbs or bows or something and I am jealous.  Just because it looks so easy!

But Quiver's rolls on Christmas morning???  Not a regret at all about that one!

• Like 5

The elf on the shelf. The first couple of years it was fun, but I am so not feeling it this year.

Also, the tooth fairy. My ds lost a tooth this week and I told him to put it on his night stand. When my oldest first lost his teeth the tooth fairy wrote him notes. Who knows if the tooth fairy will even visit poor ds4.

• Like 3

People dying everywhere

sil sings this regularly.  I loath it.

They're tasty and pretty and fun. But staying up until midnight the day before to make gingerbread walls and roofs and train cars makes me tired and hate gingerbread. And it was MY idea initially! Gah.

Actually, last year, I decided to start a new tradition. I told everyone they needed to help, then I drank wine and coached while they all made the gingerbread together. Hoping this one sticks.

Yes!  With the many allergies, I started out making those puppies from scratch and wow, is it hard to make gluten free, nut free, dairy free, egg free roll out dough. Those houses crumbled.  So then we ordered pre-made allergen free houses - another "ouch" expensive moment trying to replicate allergy-free life for an allergic kiddo.  Ugh!  Not an annual tradition to continue.  Now we buy nut-free gingerbread houses, and kiddo just builds and decorates - no eating or licking fingers allowed.

I'm all for the do-it-yourself-kiddo tradition and wine for mommy!

• Like 1

I feel ya on the candy. My go-to items for DD were homemade rock candy & Gimbals Jelly Beans {top 8 allergen free, and company is VERY willling to answer other allergen questions. And they sell at Walmart}. 

Ours is Santa. I wish I had NEVER done Santa. DD hated the Jolly Red Guy from birth, but loves that he brings presents. I am hoping this is the last year she believes tbh. 

• Like 1

We always put the tooth in a cup on the dresser or windowsill (away from the bed) after the kids saw The Tooth Fairy and saw the dangers that the under-the-pillow location caused for the fetching fairy.

We had a forgetful tooth fairy who tended not to show up the first night.  Sometimes she came the following morning, sometimes during the day, sometimes it was a few nights later.  We usually excused her because it was hockey season, or football season, or pick-your-tooth-mangling-sport season.

• Like 7

We read an annual set of advent books, similar to a Jesse tree, and honestly I get tired of them quickly. It's just one more thing to try and remember each day and I'm maxed out. The kids love it and the content is so great, I feel like a total curmudgeon :o

Have the older kids read to the younger kids!

• Like 1

I've never heard the sad birthday song ever.

I also do sticky buns for Christmas that have become a tradition. It takes a lot of time and effort but now everyone expects it and it's not Christmas without those and the Merry Christmas cookies that must be baked and decorated.

*sigh*  I'm already feeling tired.

When I am eating Quiver's rolls on either Christmas or Thanksgiving morning I am so grateful for the tradition.

When it's 9:00pm Thanksgiving Eve and I've been cooking FOR THREE DAYS and my kids ask where the cinnamon rolls are... not so much.

I really want to turn them into sticky buns for Christmas this year though.  

Come to the dark side.

I don't decorate for Christmas. We let my kids enjoy my MIL's tree.

I don't cook for Christmas because my FIL does that. MIL frosts cookies with the kids (if they are interested.)

I made tacos for Thanksgiving. DH made homemade jello for dessert. I think I made some cookie dough.

For Halloween I told the kids if they wanted the porch decorated, they had to do it all, including taking everything down. My 10 and 7 year olds were quite pleased to do it all.

Most holidays just seem to mean extra work for moms. Just say no to the expectations!

• Like 6

Filling stockings in general is so darned expensive! And I handmade adorable stockings for each kid when they were small, but those suckers are HUGE! Every year I bemoan all the extra carp I have to buy just to fill up those bottomless pits!

I've started resorting to whole fruit, socks, and undies. :leaving:

I made little bitty patchwork-quilted ones for my whole family using holiday fabrics.  They're probably 4"x7".  They're still expensive to fill, but not nearly as bad as the normal-sized ones.

• Like 1

We always put the tooth in a cup on the dresser or windowsill (away from the bed) after the kids saw The Tooth Fairy and saw the dangers that the under-the-pillow location caused for the fetching fairy.

We had a forgetful tooth fairy who tended not to show up the first night. Sometimes she came the following morning, sometimes during the day, sometimes it was a few nights later. We usually excused her because it was hockey season, or football season, or pick-your-tooth-mangling-sport season.

This happens at our house, too. The tooth fairy is just really busy and sometimes she forgets. Also, we use a mason jar on the kitchen counter. No need to sneak in, just have to remember to do it before I go to bed in case a kid comes out for a drink of water or something.

• Like 1

Hee! 

I was so worried about this.  Luckily my son was a bit wary of having a "strange fairy woman" in his room and it took very little convincing that the tooth fairy could get the tooth and leave the loot if the tooth was on the kitchen counter. 

• Like 1

We apparently have our own version of the birthday dirge;

One step closer to the grave,

Think of all the food we'll save

It is only sung to those who will think it is funny.

I despise the tooth fairy.  When I get asked what is my advice to new moms I always say let dad be in charge of Easter baskets, Christmas stockings & that darn tooth fairy.  While at Michael's or Costco or some place like that I found an old-looking small lantern.  It looks like the lantern that Tinkerbell got caught in in Peter Pan.  This sits on the mantle and when someone loses a tooth it goes in there where the fairy can find it and the little door is left open.

I worked hard to get those little people to go to sleep in their own beds, I'll be darned if I am going to wake them up by rummaging around under their pillows looking for a tooth.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

The advent calendars.  Oh, the advent calendars!

First, they must, simply MUST, have the Lego Star Wars advent calendar.  

And I had fond memories of getting a chocolate filled advent calendar when I was a kid, so we do those, too.  Only the $1 ones I get at Aldi were sold out so I had to get the $5 ones, because I'm a softy and the thought of my kids not having their chocolate calendar makes me sad.  (So instead of $2, I spent $10)

Plus I found a really adorable wooden advent calendar that looks like a house with 25 little doors.  It has a little porch and chimney and everything.  But what to put in it???  I tried putting in a set of Lego to slowly build over 25 days, but we already have the Star Wars one, so it's overkill on the Lego.  I've put in candy, but my kids have to be careful not to eat too much for their health and we already have the chocolate one. 

I've tried putting in activities--little slips of paper with an activity to do that day, but you would not believe how impossible it seems to be to do an activity on the day it's in the advent calendar.  Something comes up to derail it and the boys are sad that we didn't do our Advent Activity.

Tonight, when I was walking around Walmart considering whether to buy a $30 Lego set to fill the stupid calendar, (I was late filling it--I had to stuff some old Halloween candy behind door #1 so they'd have something in there when they woke up this morning), I had an inspiration in the puzzle aisle.  A puzzle!  I'll put in a few pieces every day and the boys can slowly put it together from now until Christmas.  I hope it goes over well.  The puzzle was under $8 so that's a plus.

So:

a Lego advent calendar,

2 chocolate advent calendars,

the wooden advent calendar....

plus there is

a velcro one where you slowly create a nativity scene by sticking donkeys and wise men, etc, on a stable,

and a numbered advent calendar where you move a little snowflake to the next number every day,

PLUS a chalkboard where you write "## days 'till Christmas" on it....

...is TOO MANY advent calendars!!!!!

But hey--today I bought 5 plastic reindeer and I'm going to tie them to the ceiling fan and turn it on tomorrow when the boys get up.  The reindeer will fly around in circles.  It'll be hilarious.  I can't wait. 

Christmas is crazy!  I love it!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 9

Who decided that teeth need to go under the pillow? The tooth should sit by the front door, far away from any sleeping children. And why was I not smart enough to think this through with my first child before I went on to have four more kids. :lol:

In case you can't tell, the tooth fairy had to do some creative story-telling this week when she got busted during the tooth-for-money exchange. :001_rolleyes:

I just want to say thanks in advance. :) Oldest was a hard sleeper so never an issue. Younger two at light sleepers. Hadn't even thought this far ahead!!! We're probably a year out from first tooth, but know, thanks to you the tooth fairy will collect teeth from the mantle. :D You just saved me some hassles!

Oh my gosh yes. From my ceramic molds. There is just now way to get it done quickly and I feel like gingerbread takes over my kitchen for a week! 

Oh no no no! You're doing it wrong! Make an ugly one instead, like us, and it's a blast.

We use some graham crackers and we glue it all together with frosting that has some cream of tartar in it. Give the cream of tartar a few minutes to harden the frosting a bit. You'll have to be willing to scoop out the frosting with your hands and smear it all over the graham crackers to make the walls stand up and stick to each other. (I put some graham crackers sideways inside the walls, as support. Kinda like flying buttresses, but inside the house.). Then, stick any old leftover Halloween candy on your blob of cracker and frosting. We have a great time. We use nerds candies as piles of dog poo in the yard, tootsie rolls sticking off the roof are cannon,...anything goes. It's pretty hideous and the kids get tummy aches from eating candy and licking frosting off their fingers, but it's awesome. Never the same twice, that's for sure!

Plus all the Halloween candy is gone.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

Those d@mn elves!!! What was I thinking? it was so cute when they were little, but now at 12 and 9, it just doesn't seem quite as cute. But they both love them. And they have become a part of our Christmas season.

Nothing like lying in bed, ready to drift off to sleep when it hits you...you forgot to move the elves. Just...ugh!!!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness - the multiple advent calendars! We have a wooden train to fill, and a giant tree to pin ornaments on (my mom made it when I was a child), and there must be a Lego City for the boy, and a playmobil or Schleich for the girl. I, ummm, lost the advent wreath in a recent move. How many do we need?!

And the elf. Thanks for that one, grandma. :) ... I do like that one, really, and now that 12 yr old has taken over the moving of it, to make magic for the 5 yr old... even better.

ETA: I really do adore Christmas.

Edited by Spryte

I agree that the tooth fairy is stupid. One year I left the money under the pillow like I was supposed to, but my kid couldn't find it in the morning. I started accusing her sister of stealing it. (Sister had a sticky finger problem at the time.) Obviously killing the whole TF myth (which I don't really regret). Then I figured out that the money had fallen behind the bed. Ugh. I still intended to pretend about the TF just for fun, but I kept forgetting. Finally I gave each kid $20 and said I never want to hear another word about the tooth fairy for the rest of my life. :P

Tooth fairy buyout!!!! Brilliant! Wish I'd heard this 15 years ago!

• Like 4

Those d@mn elves!!! What was I thinking? it was so cute when they were little, but now at 12 and 9, it just doesn't seem quite as cute. But they both love them. And they have become a part of our Christmas season.

Nothing like lying in bed, ready to drift off to sleep when it hits you...you forgot to move the elves. Just...ugh!!!

As soon as my older son decided Santa wasn't real, he took over the elf for his little brother. I don't have to do a darn thing. He has a lot of fun with it.

• Like 4

Come to the dark side.

I don't decorate for Christmas. We let my kids enjoy my MIL's tree.

I don't cook for Christmas because my FIL does that. MIL frosts cookies with the kids (if they are interested.)

I made tacos for Thanksgiving. DH made homemade jello for dessert. I think I made some cookie dough.

For Halloween I told the kids if they wanted the porch decorated, they had to do it all, including taking everything down. My 10 and 7 year olds were quite pleased to do it all.

Most holidays just seem to mean extra work for moms. Just say no to the expectations!

We are lucky to have a similar setup. My inlaws have a bigger house and love having the kids, they also host all the family events. I bring some side dishes and call it good :D

Before my oldest lost her first tooth, we made a "tooth fairy pillow". She chose the fabric from my stash, a cloudy light blue flannel. It's about 5" x 8". I cut out a felt tooth and stitched it onto the front on three sides. We felt stickered her name across the top. She chose a few fun fabric stickers to decorate. Now she puts her tooth in the tooth pocket and sets it on her bed *near* her pillow, but not under. We take out the tooth and put the money into the same pocket. So we also don't end up with lost TF money! It's worked great!!

She recently got one pulled at the dentist and they gave her a small pink plastic tooth to bring it home in. She has since used that to put the tooth in and slide that into the tooth pocket making it even easier since we don't have to fish for the tooth at the bottom of the pocket.

The best thing I ever did... The tooth fairy here gets the tooth off the TV in the living room....

Also.... The tooth fairy is VERY busy some nights, so sometimes (most times) it can be a few days before she comes. Best thing I ever did!

Probably only got away with it because we homeschool.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Every year when I see my friends' advent calendar and elf sagas on facebook, I thank God that I never started either of those messes.  There is no way I could keep up with either of those.

I don't really have a lot of Christmas "traditions" as in "we have to do this every year."  We do different things each year, which I think is more fun.  I hope I'm not screwing up my kids.  :P

• Like 3

The best thing I ever did... The tooth fairy here gets the tooth off the TV in the living room....

Also.... The tooth fairy is VERY busy some nights, so sometimes (most times) it can be a few days before she comes. Best thing I ever did!

Probably only got away with it because we homeschool.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

In our house, if the tooth is left under the pillow, the tooth fairy sometimes sneaks in during the day!  She is tiny and oh, so very quick!  You would never even know she was here!  She also prefers teeth to be left in a plastic zipper bag. It is easiest for her to grab and go that way, without having to lift up the pillow too much. 

Our tradition, every year, is to get our flu shots. OUCH! I always end up with bruises all over my shins, my arms, my stomach - and then I have to get my own shot too!

(She's a sweet kid 99.95% of the time... but she really hates needles.)

St. Nicholas day. I am now stuck filling shoes with candy followed by stockings with candy later in the month.

I twigged onto St. Nick's day when I realized I could give them PJs then. Early in December is right around when I realize they need new pajamas anyway, so it makes sense. But in my family we still end up doing two holidays - Christmas in December and then Little Christmas in January, ostensibly because we can get the post-xmas sales. But somehow, that never adds up to us spending less for the first Christmas celebration....

Oh, and Advent calendars... I learned about those things from Neopets. (My pets must be dying by now. I should log in and feed them.) One year I bought my kids two cheap chocolate advent calendars with Santa on them. Little angels popped the flaps and ate all the chocolate in one day! Haven't done that again.

Finally I gave each kid $20 and said I never want to hear another word about the tooth fairy for the rest of my life.  :p

Why didn't I think of that???  Our tooth fairy is notoriously forgetful and late. And I'm on my fourth kid. I'm tired of the tooth fairy. Maybe a $20 would allow for tooth fairy retirement.

Besides, teeth are gross. I just found a ziplock with a tooth in it (from who knows when) when I was clearing out my sock drawer yesterday.

• Like 2

Maybe next year make the candy stockings a New Year's tradition and order it AFTER Christmas for 50% off?