Menu

Has anyone done a Fundraiser for their Homeschool?

frugalmamatx

I'm tempted to do one. We've had several kids come knocking on our door doing fundraisers over the last couple of weeks - candy bars, magazines, wrapping paper, etc. DD asked me if we could do one, and I can't think of a good reason why we couldn't! 

So - anyone done a fundraiser for their homeschool? And if so how much did you earn? DD would like to take martial arts lessons if we can earn enough to cover the cost. 

I would bet your daughter would earn more offering to do odd jobs for neighbors. She'd get to pocket all the proceeds instead of just whatever percentage of sales, and people would likely be generous if she told them her goal.

Unfortunately dd isn't up to doing odd jobs just yet - she is only 10. And most of our neighbors contract out all their jobs or do it themselves. 

I was thinking picking up an big pack of assorted candy bars at Sams and sending her around with the box {with supervision of course}. Selling them for $1 each. 

I have heard of people doing that once in a blue moon but I don't recommend it. You will do nothing but earn the ire of every other parent on earth who is shelling out dough for violin lessons, gymnastics, French tutoring, iPads necessary for school, etc., etc., etc.

You can most definitely sell something, such as create an Etsy shop or whatever, but if you call it a homeschool fundraiser you will anger both homeschoolers (who will say "Nobody gives ME money to homeschool") and non-homeschoolers (who will say, "I already pay thousands of tax dollars so your kid can attend public school!") Don't do it. It won't go well.

P.S.: Both of my boys have sold candy bars at co-op with success. But they make no pretense that the money is for any nobel cause. It's just their candy business. It would not nearly profit well enough to pay for martial arts.

• Like 24

I can't imagine receiving any support. People around here think homeschooling is weird anyway, and a fundraiser benefiting my own family would look even weirder.

If someone I knew did one, I doubt I would support it, but I also don't ever buy anything from school fundraisers.  

Some jobs my kids did at 10:  weeding, mother's helper, dog-walking, stopping in to visit dogs at the owner's home during the workday.  

• Like 5

I wouldn't do it, and I would not respond positively if someone came to my door selling overpriced candy bars in order to fund his or her family's choices. Unless they were selling those World's Finest candy bars. I like them and can't buy them at the grocery store myself. So I'm judgy but selectively so. .

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 8

I wouldn't do it, and I would not respond positively if someone came to my door selling overpriced candy bars in order to fund his or her family's choices.Unless they were selling those World's Finest candy bars. I like them and can't buy them at the grocery store myself. So I'm selectively judgy.

Rats, I wish I had known this last year. SweetChild was selling Worlds Finest candy bars to help wih expenses for her show choir and as homeschoolers it was nearly impossible for us to sell them. DH and Diamond had office policies against fundraisers, I don't like to sell at church, and she wasn't in school- the kids who were sold at least a case/day for two weeks straight.

We ended up buying all the dark chocolate for PMS days 😑 and donated the rest to the candy-gram fundraiser for the musical.

And the show choir director bought way more then the kids could sell, so there was an entire shippingbox leftover. I could have sold it to you and been set for life for group expenses. 😂

Anyway, to answer the OP, we have not done a fundraiser specifically to benefit our personal homeschool. And unless the hoped-for martial arts classes only run about $10/month OR you're in an area where she could easily sell several cases per week you're unlikely to fund the activity solely through candy sales, mostly due to the low profit.

But 10 years old isn't to young to do some odd jobs. BabyBaby was required (by us) to earn money to pay for her black belt test ($100, not allowed to use gift/birthday money) and she did. This wasn't one of her jobs but I think I remember reading about it on this forum: a kid charge $0.50 or maybe it was $1.00 to bring back the trash bins from the curb after trash collection. I'd pay a neighbor kid $1 for that, not because I need the service but because I'd appreciate their willingness to work and want to support that. I'd rather pay $1 for something useful than $1 for a junk chocolate bar.

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 7

I would not do it. We also didn't participate in fundraisers when my son was in private school. I am of the opinion that if a family chooses private education of any type they should be the ones to pay for it. Taxpayers, including myself, are already paying for public schools and that's enough.

• Like 6

I do agree with everyone else.  I feel like since I choose to homeschool, then the financial burden is mine.  Extra curriculars are just that, extra.  I would be more than willing to pay for a service than an overpriced store bought product.   I would pay a homeschool  kid (or any kid) to wash my car, or even buy homemade fudge or other handmade products.   My girls pick up cans and sell them, help my dad mow (he mows several properties in the summer), and odd jobs like that.  It does cost me money because I have to transport them, but they keep all the money.  

• Like 1

I would not.

I see the situation as comparable to scouts.  My son is a scout. We pay his dues/membership fees, buy all his personal gear, pay for his campouts, etc.  However, as a troop, he does fundraising to support the necessary items for the whole troop: rentals, extra training, troop equipment (like camp stoves), along with what is necessary to keep the local council running.

We are homeschoolers.  I buy my kids' personal gear, pay for activities, etc.  If it was necessary to raise funds to support a larger organization, I can see that being an acceptable use of fundraising (for example, if my kids were on the homeschool sports team and they needed rental fees, large equipment that were above the cost of doing it ourselves).

I would think it in extremely bad taste to confuse the idea of personal support/responsibility with that of public/team support.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 8

I would bet your daughter would earn more offering to do odd jobs for neighbors. She'd get to pocket all the proceeds instead of just whatever percentage of sales, and people would likely be generous if she told them her goal.

School fund raisers in which they sell stuff are usually counting on bulk to bring in any appreciable amount of money.  The percentage the fundraising organization gets is often as little as 3% of the sales.  Once I found this out I stopped buying from the school kids and started giving them simple cash donations after having then explain to me what they were raising funds for.

I agree with doing odd jobs or coming up with your own ideas instead of using the typical fund-raising options the schools use.  

• Like 3

Unfortunately dd isn't up to doing odd jobs just yet - she is only 10. And most of our neighbors contract out all their jobs or do it themselves. 

I was thinking picking up an big pack of assorted candy bars at Sams and sending her around with the box {with supervision of course}. Selling them for $1 each. 

You had better look into the legality of this in your area.  Since you are not a non-profit you might have to apply for a peddler's license.

• Like 3

We have had garage sales with donated material at a local church that donated the space. Made pretty good money for the organization. Unfortunately our group folded

Holding a family garage sale is an idea, or getting a booth at a community garage sale.  This is what a friend and her daughter did to raise funds for an opportunity the daughter had.  

• Like 2

You had better look into the legality of this in your area.  Since you are not a non-profit you might have to apply for a peddler's license.

That is a good point. My town requires a peddler's license and it is surprising how many people don't know that - or ignore it and hope no one asks.  The police have asked that residents call them (non-emergency #) when someone comes around without a license; they will come out and cite them if they get here before they vanish. 

• Like 1

Rats, I wish I had known this last year. SweetChild was selling Worlds Finest candy bars to help wih expenses for her show choir and as homeschoolers it was nearly impossible for us to sell them. DH and Diamond had office policies against fundraisers, I don't like to sell at church, and she wasn't in school- the kids who were sold at least a case/day for two weeks straight.

We ended up buying all the dark chocolate for PMS days 😑 and donated the rest to the candy-gram fundraiser for the musical.

And the show choir director bought way more then the kids could sell, so there was an entire shippingbox leftover. I could have sold it to you and been set for life for group expenses. 😂

Anyway, to answer the OP, we have not done a fundraiser specifically to benefit our personal homeschool. And unless the hoped-for martial arts classes only run about $10/month OR you're in an area where she could easily sell several cases per week you're unlikely to fund the activity solely through candy sales, mostly due to the low profit.

But 10 years old isn't to young to do some odd jobs. BabyBaby was required (by us) to earn money to pay for her black belt test ($100, not allowed to use gift/birthday money) and she did. This wasn't one of her jobs but I think I remember reading about it on this forum: a kid charge $0.50 or maybe it was $1.00 to bring back the trash bins from the curb after trash collection. I'd pay a neighbor kid $1 for that, not because I need the service but because I'd appreciate their willingness to work and want to support that. I'd rather pay $1 for something useful than $1 for a junk chocolate bar.

GOOD LUCK!

Shoot, I would pay for such a service, and my kids and I are home most of the day or returning home in the middle of the day (like right now, the trash guys just left) to bring ours in anyway.  Trash guys try to do a good job but often the cans get left a little too inconveniently (middle of the driveway, for instance) or wind blows the empty cans around or the open cans start filling with water when a rain storm hits.  Many people aren't home during the day to move their empty cans, and elderly people often appreciate someone taking even a simple task off their hands.  I, myself, would love to not have the interruption to our work flow, or to come home only to have to block the street while someone moves the can enough for me to pull into the driveway.

A child running a trash can fetching service wouldn't even have to have access to someone's yard or garage.  It can be enough to bring the cans back to the front of the garage, dump out any water that might have rained in, put the lids on, and make sure they are sitting where they won't blow about or block someone parking or walking into the house.

Another thing that could be helpful is a paper-fetching service.  We have some community papers that get delivered here but they are simply tossed on the end of the driveway from a moving vehicle.  Such papers, even when wrapped in plastic, are frequently too sodden from rain or sprinklers to be readable by the time people get home.  People might pay for a child to fetch their papers before they get really wet and put the papers by the front door (or inside a screen door if there is one).

Doing jobs like these can not only earn at least some pocket cash but can also demonstrate neighborliness and a work ethic.  

• Like 2

Are you needing the money, or does she just like the idea of participating in a fundraiser?

If she just wants the e perience if selling, you might try a lemonade stand or something similar. There used to be a charity called Alex's Lemonade stand or something like that (I am too lazy to google to see if it still exists) that encouraged kids to sent up a stand and turn in the profits ytomthe organization. It was a real charity and provided resources on how to set up, budget for expenses.

• Like 1

Our individual home? No. I have occasionally solicited money or participated in the fundraisers our homeschool group does, primarily raising the money from the homeschool group. See, rather than charge admission for bigger parties and events, we often will put up a pay what you can/crowd funding thing with the understanding that if the money is not all raised, the event or party is cancelled. The homeschool group also sells local coupon books.

• Like 1

I would feel very uncomfortable doing this.

I do know a mom who says, "My children are trying to earn money for camp this year. They are selling such and such product (made by them) and will mow lawns and babysit. Let me know if you want to support them in this way." I have no problem with that at all. 

• Like 6

This

And here if you are simply doing a shake the can type of fundraiser you have to very clearly state that you are not a non-profit organization. 

• Like 2

I would not do it. We also didn't participate in fundraisers when my son was in private school. I am of the opinion that if a family chooses private education of any type they should be the ones to pay for it. Taxpayers, including myself, are already paying for public schools and that's enough.

I'm in public schools and we don't participate in "Sell stuff" fundraisers. I don't sell at church or at work -- my parents didn't when I was growing up and I don't want to feel obligated to buy from someone else's kid (And honestly it is a lot of obligation). So I don't buy and I don't sell in those places.  In our neighborhood? All the OTHER houses with kids are selling the SAME Stuff. So if they want it, they will buy from their own kid.  If it is something special like water bottles with the school name on it, I'll offer it to our parents and relatives if they are interested in some kitschy "My kid goes to..." type stuff. Otherwise we just return it with a small donation to the school ($20 usually)

If we had a run-a-thon or read-a-thoun where the kid was needing sponsors for something they would be doing -- THAT I would donate to. And I also fund whenever I can that a kid I care about is participating.

• Like 1

My DD has raised funds for snake and frog conservation-we do a big homeschool/kids book sale each year (where we arrange a venue and the sellers donate from their profits-often 100%, but some do much less) and she has two books on Amazon (one she illustrated and found people who were willing to donate use of their photos, the other she wrote, illustrated, and collected photos) where the royalties go directly to a non-profit. She makes and sells custom jewelry, mostly to other help folks, but also to her cheer team (she does team pins each season that the coach allows her to sell-half the funds go to the team, the other half to Save the Frogs.) She also puts together crafts and gift baskets to donate to non-profits on auction.

All told, her fundraising typically costs us about $200/yr, but last year she donated about $2000, so I guess it worked out.

• Like 3

We don't fundraise for our homeschool. We also do not buy from public or private school fundraisers.

We do buy from a friend's daughter some braised pastry for her gymnastic fundraising. We also donated some money for my boys' best friend who fundraised for his school's mission trip. We did these two because of the friendship.

Our boys do sell wreaths for their Boy Scout troop.

• Like 1

I believe you have to be a registered nonprofit to get rewards from Boxtops. If you're a nonprofit, there are a number of things you can do to earn money.

OP, I would not do a fundraiser for my Homeschool. I would try to have my child perform some sort of service though, not just sell something. I hate those kinds of fundraisers. But if a kid can wash cars, shovel snow, pet sit, bake pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving, babysit, etc., that would seem to me like a better idea than selling candy or other things that are way overpriced.

• Like 2

If the idea is to experience selling things and earn some money, she could do it at an entrepreneurial enterprise rather than framing it as a fundraiser.

If the idea is to do a fundraiser, I'd have her pick a charitable beneficiary. For example, last week my son had a little cookie sale at our homeschool classes to raise money for an organization that serves homeless families.

• Like 1

I'm in public schools and we don't participate in "Sell stuff" fundraisers. I don't sell at church or at work -- my parents didn't when I was growing up and I don't want to feel obligated to buy from someone else's kid (And honestly it is a lot of obligation). So I don't buy and I don't sell in those places.  In our neighborhood? All the OTHER houses with kids are selling the SAME Stuff. So if they want it, they will buy from their own kid.  If it is something special like water bottles with the school name on it, I'll offer it to our parents and relatives if they are interested in some kitschy "My kid goes to..." type stuff. Otherwise we just return it with a small donation to the school ($20 usually)

If we had a run-a-thon or read-a-thoun where the kid was needing sponsors for something they would be doing -- THAT I would donate to. And I also fund whenever I can that a kid I care about is participating.

Agree - we do the read-a-thon because it all goes to the school organization.. We also send in box tops because they are already there, but other than that we donate directly to the classroom. 

• Like 1

NO!  I hate fundraising with a PASSION!  Selling popcorn with the scouts made me twitchy.  So much so, that when they gave us a buy out amount, I paid it GLADLY!

Thankfully no one sells in my neighborhood anymore.

Me too. 

I have never done it and won't almost all because I hate to do them. 

But I also don't like them in general.  Buy my overpriced wrapping paper, popcorn, or cookies.  I hate people bothering me at home for that stuff.  

I would rather give a donation of $ to organizations that I wanted to support. 

I bet you could find people on those online giving boards that have done this.  That wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do a fund raiser.

My DD started petsitting for a neighbor at 8. Just one neighbor. I started out going with her. She stuck with that for a couple years.

At 10 she added dog walking for two more neighbors.

At 12 she put up fliers in the neighborhood and added watering plants and yards while people traveled in summer.

My DD did these things for her own money (not to support homeschool). She also learned quite a bit about animal care (good career exploration).

So I do think kids who are 10 can do odd jobs. It depends on the child's interest and maturity. My oldest could not have done things the way did did.

• Like 3

OP, for my homeschool I would not fundraiser.

However, my dd's dance studio does a fundraiser. I didn't know this going in, but they sell a product in the fall to help the kids purchase their costumes and, possibly, their classes. The kids kept 50% of sales.

Is it possible that the martial arts (gym?) Runs a fundraiser to help those who need it? If so, she would do it through them.

If not, I'd look at a lemonade stand, craft both, garage sale, dog walking services, mothers helper...

• Like 1

Honestly when you describe this my first image is those kids "selling magazines door to door". I know you have good intentions to raise money for extras or help your kids be more entrepreneurial  or what ever but lots of folks are going to be highly skeptical, like calling the cops skeptical.

• Like 1

I think we've all thought of it (some seriously, most sarcastically), but I don't know a single hs'er who has actually done it. I don't think it would go over well.

Probably people's first thought would be, "If you can't afford to homeschool, put your kids in public school and get a job like everybody else."

Bingo. It's just begging for that comment.

One of the best things about homeschooling is not having to do annoying fundraisers. I cannot imagine doing one on purpose!

Amen. I *hated* being pressured to do door-to-door fundraising as a kid (no one wanted that crap and wouldn't have been allowed to go around town and knock on random people's doors anyhow) and I don't approve of it as an adult.

TBH I feel the same way about things like Tupperware parties and selling Avon: ick.